• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken Tag 2 Sales Discussion - Or why everyone should have bought this game

What? If you can get into VF, you most certainly can get into Tekken.

VF is actually much more basic than Tekken at the fundamental level. It's definitely been one of the easiest games for me to learn, though it might have to do with how much VF5FS simplified things. Low Punch being able to stop a ton of offense but easy to punish makes it much less frustrating for new players.

Tekken though... man. Movement is such a massive hurdle in that game, and it really made me appreciate it at the highest levels. As a casual watcher and not a player, it just looks like two dudes shuffling in front of each other waiting to hopkick and do the same juggle repeatedly, but that shuffling is so damned hard to do right. It's so strange to hear high-level players in this day and age say stuff like "oh I can only Korean Backdash on 1P side", and you see these Korean and Japanese matches where both players are just a blur.

DR2K

Banned
I'm also gonna say the damage is too high, and rage is a completely terrible idea that should never have made it in a final game. It's like X factor but you don't even need to hit buttons. Less comeback mechanics, plz new fighting games.

Without it then the person with the life lead is all but guaranteed to win.

SkylineRKR

The misconception is that VF is the fighter thats too difficult. It isn't. Especially not Final Showdown. Its just that VF isn't about excentric characters, movies, flash and other fancy things. I looked up some Jean Kujo juggles on VFDC and after a 30 minutes or so I pulled them off online. Akira though is a game on itself.

TTT2 is the most difficult 3D fighter I've played, I think. Its very good value for money though, and it should've sold better than it did. It puts SF X Tekken, MvC3 and most others to shame when it comes to sheer content. Although there isn't a tekken force, ball, bowling and story mode in there... pretty much a first since Tekken 2.

But my favourite Tekken games, based on vs play and all, have to be T3 and the first TTT. Nothing like bound, rage, tag assault and walls in there. Just fun fighting. I felt I could manage those ones.

I bought it day one.
i got my platinium ( a first for a fighting game )
I was troughly satisfied

Will buy next tekken game.
ps: i also listen to the ost regulary.

alstein

The misconception is that VF is the fighter thats too difficult. It isn't. Especially not Final Showdown. Its just that VF isn't about excentric characters, movies, flash and other fancy things. I looked up some Jean Kujo juggles on VFDC and after a 30 minutes or so I pulled them off online. Akira though is a game on itself.

TTT2 is the most difficult 3D fighter I've played, I think. Its very good value for money though, and it should've sold better than it did. It puts SF X Tekken, MvC3 and most others to shame when it comes to sheer content. Although there isn't a tekken force, ball, bowling and story mode in there... pretty much a first since Tekken 2.

But my favourite Tekken games, based on vs play and all, have to be T3 and the first TTT. Nothing like bound, rage, tag assault and walls in there. Just fun fighting. I felt I could manage those ones.

Each character in VF has plenty of easy stuff, and one facet of their game that's hard. With Akira you get the hardest execution, but you get a fairly derpy and braindead playstyle that's really effective.

the two chars I play:

Vanessa, it's about picking the right stance to be in. Both her stances are pretty straightforward, but with a big hole in each (DS is low damage, OS is pretty linear/string-heavy). You have to adjust to the opponent's game, and it's a real problem when you run into that rare beast who knows how to fight both and can adjust his char to compensate. Then you have to set things up a lot more and play really good defense.

Jeff: He does derp damage with fairly easy combos, and has great range, but he's slow, his evasive move are either real slow or high, and he lacks easy defense and is vulnerable to advanced defense. It's why he's considered by many to be the worst char in the game. You land something you can run a train, but you almost have to.

Now I want a VF tag fighter, though the logistics are impossible.

Yeah, I'll buy the next Tekken game myself, but the only major fighters I didn't play this gen are 3S and Injustice. I give everything a chance, though I'll sell a game really fast if I figure out it's garbage quickly. (the only fighters installed in my system now and played in the last month are VF, TTT2, and Skullgirls)

My big issue with TTT2 was not finding any good Asuka/Marduk combos.

Lumine

Perhaps it's because I've played Tekken games since the first ones, but I've always thought Tekken games were very easy to pick up and learn. Even without any prior knowledge the basic combat mechanics feel very natural to me. The games are very easy to enjoy even if you're not any good at it. To think that you somehow have to be a master at the game before you can enjoy it seems a very silly notion to me. Most players never even reach that level. To discredit the game because it's deep and offers much to learn doesn't make sense to me, it just makes the game that much better. When I say that TTT2 is less accessible than other Tekken's it's mostly because it lacks singleplayer content for new players. However it offers more multiplayer content than ever and that's where the game truly shines anyway.

Ryuhza

Banned
My friend isn't a Tekken fanatic like I am, and wasn't at all interested in Tekken 6, yet he'll play Tekken Tag 2 and enjoy it a lot. Sure, he doesn't know how to juggle and hardly even glances at the move-list, but he can still fight.

I was pretty shitty at Tekken until Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection (first Online Tekken) and I looked up how to do shit and a couple of juggle videos. From there I was able to grasp the basic concepts behind everything and I got pretty decent with Tekken 6, and from there, the gameplay was golden, one of the swiftest and most satisfying fighters out there.

number47

A lot of free stuff,but where was the flash? How does it bring non tekken players in if they were to watch you play.

You couldn't tell tekken 6 from TTT2.

Ryuhza

Banned
A lot of free stuff,but where was the flash? How does it bring non tekken players in if they were to watch you play.

You couldn't tell tekken 6 from TTT2.

My friend could, actually. He said that Tekken Tag 2 was a lot more enjoyable to watch than Tekken 6, so much so that he wanted to play it himself. Though he couldn't say what about it that was better.

Double dipped myself. Bought the PS3 and the Wii U version.

I bought it due to a lot of how I saw things being done. I liked the whole no paid DLC nonsense, especially so after the nonsense surrounding SFxT. I really really felt like I got my value in so many ways other fighters have completely let me down.

Part of me wonders if it's just cause of the usual Tekken was never as successful in the west as it is elsewhere, or if it came out at some odd time before everyone got sucked back into SFxT and the usual capcom bunch. My casual fighting friends dislike it cause of the juggling and he'll just stop playing once he sees it, so I can echo the difficulty aspect for anyone not prepared to deal with it.

I'm hoping it just haves a bit of a late blooming as far as sales are concerned and it somehow picks up.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I can think of one reason why people didn't buy it.
Its Tekken.

Sorry to say, but pretty much this. Juggle isn't popular in the US. I don't really care for it's cast of characters or combat system. Don't get me wrong: Tag Tournament 1/2 is good, but not really for me.

Fantasmo

I bought it and traded it in shortly thereafter. Who the hell wants to play against people so good that you can't win? I'm hardly a button masher and I couldn't even hope to get a playable match.

Fuck games like that, no more fighters for me. Good players ruin it for everyone. Enjoy your little niche audience fighting game masters lol.

Hellix

Sorry to say, but pretty much this. Juggle isn't popular in the US. I don't really care for it's cast of characters or combat system. Don't get me wrong: Tag Tournament 1/2 is good, but not really for me.

Every fighting game I seen has juggling though.

It's actually one of the more popular fighting games in certain areas of the US, and it was one of the heavyweights during the dark times between 2000 and 2009. It just didn't benefit from the swell that SF4 brought, and most of the players have been playing since TTT or T5. It's like the counterstrike of fighting games.

I bought it and traded it in shortly thereafter. Who the hell wants to play against people so good that you can't win? I'm hardly a button masher and I couldn't even hope to get a playable match.

This. Before TTT2, I think my last Tekken game was when I played Tekken 4 for a bit. TTT2 ended up being very different from how I remembered the series. I managed to get pretty decent with my Bryan/Jun team, but nowhere near as good as I'd have liked to be. I wanted to like the game so much, but I was disappointed. And the CPU was way too hard, even on easy. If you want to make something accessible to new fans, this isn't the way to do it.

Loved the characters, the gameplay on the other hand - not so much.

MDJCM

Been playing Tekken since Tekken 2 ~1997. My PS3 died recently so haven't tried TTT2

But also, Namco has dropped the ball so much, Ace Combat is down the drain and since the first Tekken Tag the Tekken games went downhill, Tekken 5 rescued a little but still blah.

I'll get around to TTT2

number47

This. Before TTT2, I think my last Tekken game was when I played Tekken 4 for a bit. TTT2 ended up being very different from how I remembered the series. I managed to get pretty decent with my Bryan/Jun team, but nowhere near as good as I'd have liked to be. I wanted to like the game so much, but I was disappointed. And the CPU was way too hard, even on easy. If you want to make something accessible to new fans, this isn't the way to do it.

Loved the characters, the gameplay on the other hand - not so much.

kinda missing the point. you can't beat the cpu, then imagine how it will be when you play OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.fighting games are better against human beings face to face. other like other games that seem only good online.

alstein

TTT2 and KOF13 are my favorite fighters this gen.

Those are easily the two hardest fighters this gen in terms of execution.

I actually felt the Tekken AI was pretty easy- it didn't like to block launchers, which led to bad habits vs people.

One suggestion for future FG AI, if you know a move is considered "cheap"- teach your AI to punish folks who do it.

kinda missing the point. you can't beat the cpu, then imagine how it will be when you play OTHER HUMAN BEINGS.fighting games are better against human beings face to face. other like other games that seem only good online.

I'm just not a fan of the fighting system they decided to use. There are plenty of fighters that are easier to pick up, and just as deep in the long-run. Learning Tekken shouldn't be a full-time job.

DEATH™

I'm just not a fan of the fighting system they decided to use. There are plenty of fighters that are easier to pick up, and just as deep in the long-run. Learning Tekken shouldn't be a full-time job.

You guys are overrating Tekken's difficulty... most of the players you see got other things in their hands and they are just fine... Its like you're saying Guitar Hero is better than playing a real guitar because you don't have to learn chords, scales and other music theory stuff... and you don't have to hurt your hand pressing the strings.

What I'm saying here is if you love something, you're gonna find time, you're gonna have the effort. You guys complain about having no time playin Tekken yet you practice hours playing Marvel/AE/whtever FG... yet the same time you spend would also make you a decent Tekken player...

Onemic

Learning any fighting game is pretty much a full time job. I practice SFIV for about 2 hours a day and I'm still sitting at ~500pp. People really overrate Tekkens difficulty to the point of near urban legend status(like VF).

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty
DEATH™;57653748 said:
You guys are overrating Tekken's difficulty... most of the players you see got other things in their hands and they are just fine... Its like you're saying Guitar Hero is better than playing a real guitar because you don't have to learn chords, scales and other music theory stuff... and you don't have to hurt your hand pressing the strings...

I don't think your analogy works. VF is Guitar Hero and Tekken is a real guitar because Tekken is more of a pain in the ass? Why should I have to know when to use sidewalk and when to evade? They both effectively do the same thing so what's the point of having this complexity? That makes it more 'authentic'?

Codeblue

I've always been interested, but I don't have the time to actually try to be any good at it. Is it still fun if you're not trying to get to a point where you're competitive?

I was big on Tekken back in the day. I paid $116 for an import copy of Tekken 2 and gladly did a trick to make it work on my US Playstation every time.

I used to love the fact that no matter how often I played it, I always saw something new. Nowadays, it's just too much for me to keep track of. Someone mentioned learning Tekken is a full time job and they are correct. Street Fighter can be deep, but you basically have three or four moves per character. It's much simpler.

Westlo

I've always been interested, but I don't have the time to actually try to be any good at it. Is it still fun if you're not trying to get to a point where you're competitive?

Most fighting games are fun if you can find people to play with a similar skill level, whether anyone of that skill level is playing this that much at this point of time is another thing...

Skilletor

I don't think your analogy works. VF is Guitar Hero and Tekken is a real guitar because Tekken is more of a pain in the ass? Why should I have to know when to use sidewalk and when to evade? They both effectively do the same thing so what's the point of having this complexity? That makes it more 'authentic'?

Sidestepping in Tekken is one of the most frustrating things in any fighting game, and I've been playing since T1. VF and SC both have much better (MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH) better implementation of 3D-ness.

Movement in Tekken is something that needs to be overhauled. I constantly feel like I'm fighting the controls to do what I want.

Really wanted to buy this before release, but then I realized: My friends only play FIFA. They don't want to play anything else, and beating randoms online is lackluster. Had the same problem with T6:BR which I and even some of my friends bought.

oneida

Sidestepping in Tekken is one of the most frustrating things in any fighting game, and I've been playing since T1. VF and SC both have much better (MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH) better implementation of 3D-ness.

Movement in Tekken is something that needs to be overhauled. I constantly feel like I'm fighting the controls to do what I want.

I'm ready to get shit on for bitching about Tekken step so I'm glad you hear me out. I'm not even gonna say that there's nothing arbitrary about VF (walk serves no purpose except some Shun stuff, afaik), but nothing feels arbitrarily difficult.

Basil

Banned
lol, I would have bought it (Honest!) but I'd been waiting on word on that Vita version that was being hinted at a while ago which I assume is now not too likely.

I'll maybe grab the PS3 version if I see it cheap enough.

Skilletor

I'm ready to get shit on for bitching about Tekken step so I'm glad you hear me out. I'm not even gonna say that there's nothing arbitrary about VF (walk serves no purpose except some Shun stuff, afaik), but nothing feels arbitrarily difficult.

To me, SC does it best. I can tell visually 99% of the time what can and cannot be sidestepped. It's intuitive as hell. VF is about the same, but there's some weird stuff.

I play all fighting games, though. It seems to me like a lot of Tekken players think that "dumbing down" certain aspects of the game would lead to Tekken losing its identity or something.

DEATH™

Its funny when I didn't even think about VF nor mention VF in my post... Im trying to show how its ridiculous the reasons why they don't wanna play Tekken cause "waaaaah its too hard wahhh, movement is frustrating wahhhh, there is too much to learn wahhhh".

Let me say this though, the genius of Tekken is the same thing noobs complain about... As much as the game have a higher ground to train, its also feels more rewarding. The game is so great at saying "you suck" and when you overcome that its like "you're a G" or something, and that gives you more of a sense of accomplishment compared to other games, that's why we are hooked...

rvy

Banned
It's sad that a game this good and packed with this much content and Free DLC didn't get the sales it deserved.
I did my part, but I should have double dipped and bought it for PS3 too, seeing as so many people didn't even dip once. A real shame. People like getting scammed.

Harada is a boss.

danmaku

While I think that movement in Tekken is unnecessarily overcomplicated, I also realize that this reasoning can be applied to everything in every game. Why do I need 3 different inputs to break throws (even in VF)? Why do some characters have so many stances? Why do I even need to move in 3D? And so on...

RobotHaus

Unconfirmed Member
Does anyone know what the Wii U community is like? I have this for 360, but I don't pay for LIVE anymore, would you say it's worth it for $40?

Linkhero1

One of the best fighters I played in a while. I bought it at launch with my Wii U. I haven't played it online for the Wii U but I'm just going to assume the community is pretty much dead.

Sayah

Not sure how active the Wii U community is online. I would say the Wii U version is worth buying just for Tekken ball if you have local players to play with.

Otherwise, yeah, best to ask someone that plays the Wii U version online regularly to know if it's active or dead.

oneida

While I think that movement in Tekken is unnecessarily overcomplicated, I also realize that this reasoning can be applied to everything in every game. Why do I need 3 different inputs to break throws (even in VF)? Why do some characters have so many stances? Why do I even need to move in 3D? And so on...

Multiple throw escape has been removed from VF. Now, throw escapes work the same way everything in VF works: through reads. You have to understand as best you can which throw your opponent would want to do, and commit to breaking that throw.

If that sounds like adding too much guessing, there's a rule of thumb about it. If your opponent has their back to the edge, they're most likely to go for a back throw as it'll get them a ring-out. For most characters, forward throw is the most damaging. Neutral throw does very little damage and isn't really worth trying to break IMO.

ScOULaris

It definitely took the "good guy" approach in terms of what it offered the customer as a total console-release fighting game package, but at the end of the day it's still Tekken. If you don't like the Tekken series in general, all of the characters and features in the world still wouldn't tempt you to buy it.

I bought it for PS3 and played it a little bit, but I found myself being distracted by other games quickly. SSF4 and Third Strike are the two games that I always snap back to after trying my hand at other fighting games series (I try them all). While I do believe in supporting a game that doesn't utilize shitty DLC moneygrabbing techniques, I also can't suggest a game to someone that doesn't like that style of gameplay.

That being said, I hope the sales are still considered good enough for the series to continue taking the kitchen-sink approach to designing their console versions. It's a very noble pursuit, and one that I strongly believe in. SFxT can suck my balls with its DLC shenanigans.

I think they should just buff the base walkspeed and call it a day. You're going to get totally demolished in this game starting out whether or not you know how to backdash cancel, but your character feeling like he has his feet glued to the floor isn't particularly encouraging for people. Increasing the dash speed/distance would probably break the game, maybe something like offensive move from VF to extend a single movement action would work. It'd be more effective to cancel it but it provides an easy way to gain distance for people without the execution. Precise and efficient movement is the majority of high-level Tekken, and it's based on punishment instead of prediction like VF, so I can understand why they set up the sidesteps like that.

If anything, VF doing so poorly in America is more confounding to me. It's one of the most straightfoward fighting games I've played and there's basically nothing in the game that's easier to do than it is to stop, so people who get turned off by "cheap" stuff should be able to stick with it.

oneida

If anything, VF doing so poorly in America is more confounding to me. It's one of the most straightfoward fighting games I've played and there's basically nothing in the game that's easier to do than it is to stop, so people who get turned off by "cheap" stuff should be able to stick with it.

Needs bright colorful hit affects and enormous drooping titties.

I skipped TTT2 mainly because it looks terrible IMO. The females in particular.
I didnt like the "bound" system in T6 either. I thought it looked silly, bouncing giants like Marduk, off the ground etc. I assume its still there.

DEATH™

I didnt like the "bound" system in T6 either. I thought it looked silly, bouncing giants like Marduk, off the ground etc. I assume its still there.

A DoA avatar? That explains....

-----------

The real reason why Tekken is Dead...

xeU9I4v.jpg

Join the movement:
http://www.tekkenzaibatsu.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=127236&perpage=20&pagenumber=2

#BUFFLARS

oneida

I disagree about bounds. They're fun, and emphasizing fun over realism is what separates games like Tekken and VF from MMA fighters. Combos in Tekken are my favorite thing about Tekken.

Skilletor

I should make this thread about SC5. Seems like some Tekken players have this persecution complex like their game isn't the most played 3D fighter, like it doesn't have solid turnouts at majors, like people aren't playing it online, like you ever have to worry whether or not you'll get to play the next game in the series, or that you'll get one at all.

Must be hard being a Tekken fan. I HAVE SO MANY PEOPLE TO PLAY! NAMCO THROWS SO MUCH MONEY AT MY FIGHTER! DID YOU SEE ALL THIS SHIT THEY ADDED TO THE HOME PORT OMG BEST PORT EVER!

Meanwhile for SC:

Daishi Odashima: Guys, if you gave us 6 more months we could add an entire story mode, tons of fan requested characters, a little more balancing.

Namco: 6 more months?

Daishi: Yes, please.

Namco:
tumblr_ma3xc4uVYO1r3l66z.gif~original

Top Bottom