• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
tekken8-key-art-HD-scaled.jpg

Release date: January 26th, 2024
Platforms: PC, Xbox Series X|S, PlayStation 5
Developer: Bandai Namco Studios with assistance from Arika
Publisher: Bandai Namco Entertainment
Pricing: $69.99 USD in NTSC territories

I don’t make OTs. However, if someone asks where is the OT? and I see it over 5 times, then I volunteer to make these slop job OTs…

f1fee8e9da36695d263ada9ee1f304f9.gif

Works great on Steam Deck!

60FPS. Banger visuals. Fantastic netcode. Lots of SP content. What more do you need?

giphy.gif

now-that-the-tekken-8-roster-is-complete-which-characters-v0-g169utel5r7c1.jpeg

32 character roster. One chick loves coffee. Two bears. No cups.

giphy.gif

my-dream-game-is-a-marvel-vs-dc-fighting-game-with-tekken-8-v0-wfjm6zfniaqb1.gif

If anyone else wants to make the OT go for it, or has a better title for this, let me know.

Get ready for the next battle!

Last edited:
Well, we got an OT!

Spent a few hours playing Story, character episodes and a bit of beach ball last night, the game is glorious, Harada delivered the goods. All the newcomers feel fantastic, the animations are god-tier, 32 character roster out the gate is bananas, loving everything about it, the King of Iron Fist Tournament has come a long way 👊

Celcius

°Temp. member
Thanks for making an OT so we finally have a place to discuss this fantastic fighter.

What do you guys think about the Arcade Quest mode? Seems like a World Tour mode like in SF6, except with Chibi characters and you fight on arcade machines.
Story mode was fantastic but I'm kinda leaning towards skipping this Quest mode after making it to the 2nd city so far...

Also, I'm maining Leroy while I wait for Eddie to become available.

Last edited:

Arsic

Well, we got an OT!

Spent a few hours playing Story, character episodes and a bit of beach ball last night, the game is glorious, Harada delivered the goods. All the newcomers feel fantastic, the animations are god-tier, 32 character roster out the gate is bananas, loving everything about it, the King of Iron Fist Tournament has come a long way 👊
kazuya-mishima-tekken.gif

Crayon

Thanks for making an OT so we finally have a place to discuss this fantastic fighter.

What do you guys think about the Arcade Quest mode? Seems like a World Tour mode like in SF6, except with Chibi characters and you fight on arcade machines.
The story mode was fantastic but I'm kinda leaning towards skipping this Quest mode after making it to the 2nd city so far...

I barely got to play two hours of everything last night. So far, the arcade quest is at least cute, and I've seen nothing that says it can't be as good as VF4. So here's hoping.

Arsic

I still haven’t played. Work trip all week has me away from home, but I get back tonight to sleep, then waking up early to hit the lab.

My buddy has a head start to grind but my game plan is to come for that ass and destroy his Rusty sheriffs badge this weekend.

I told his brother to check in on him Sunday night…

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
My custom azucena

Li2zCc8.jpeg

BBbkOBi.jpeg

B6fS9hc.jpeg

Story mode was fantastic but I'm kinda leaning towards skipping this Quest mode after making it to the 2nd city so far...
Don't think it's anywhere near as good as world tour, but it's fun so far, and you kinda have to play it to get the arcade ghost battle stuff.

Neff

It's a great game and an outstanding package, but the framerate hampers it imo. This is the choppiest Tekken outside of the GBA port. Heat system is neat but not a gamechanger.

SF6 is still the best current fighting game out there.

Arsic

It's a great game and an outstanding package, but the framerate hampers it imo. This is the choppiest Tekken outside of the GBA port. Heat system is neat but not a gamechanger.

What are you playing on?

You can even get locked fps to 60 on steam deck. Are you on a toaster?

Arsic

Definitely not the case. TV displays 60fps as it should.

You may want to troubleshoot?

Neff

You may want to troubleshoot?

The game is 60fps for the most part but it drops often. It's certainly not consistent, and certainly not compared to other console Tekken releases. There aren't any performance tweaks on the PS5 version to my knowledge. It is what it is.

Arsic

The game is 60fps for the most part but it drops often. It's certainly not consistent, and certainly not compared to other console Tekken releases. There aren't any performance tweaks on the PS5 version to my knowledge. It is what it is.
Curious to try the full version tomorrow. The demo I had no issues. Hmm.

Pejo

Thanks for putting the nice OP together Arsic Arsic

Game is great so far. Digging in to the story mode tonight.

*edit*

Adding my initial thoughts from the crash thread:

Put in a few hours in practice mode, just trying out all of the characters. Still need some more time, but so far I'm leaning towards Victor/Xiaoyu/Jin. I promised myself I wouldn't just stick with Yoshimitsu again for the 8th time. I was exceedingly happy to see that his squid alien costume from 7 is in this game though. That was by far my favorite look for him.

Anyways, I'm happy with the game so far, going to dig into some story modes later and see how that goes. I heard that everyone gets a CGI ending again, which is awesome. They were my favorite parts of the first few Tekken games.

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Lmao the super ghost battle stuff is hilarious and terrifying.
I used a launcher into rage but didn't kill it, then I whiffed and it punished me with the exact same combo rofl.
It's pretty cool how I can recognise how it plays like me.

Crayon

Hmmm I'm taking this as a challenge to catch the frame drops tonight lol. I didn't notice any last nite. Any particular stage btw?

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished Arcade Quest mode. The story was basic but it did teach me several things about the battle system that I didn't know before.
I guess next up is some ranked matches!

Last edited:
I’ve played a few hours of arcade quest and watched a lot of matches using the “exciting replay” feature. No frame rate issues here on my PS5. It did look choppy at first after 30 hours of 120fps Prince of Persia.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Super ghost battle is really interesting, it's honestly a really good way to learn what works and what needs improvement. It's no substitute from fighting a person, but it does a good job.
I beat the CPU azucena to get the alternate outfit, it said these ghosts were made by the devs, but it sucked ass and I beat it easily; my own ghost is beating me pretty hard sometimes.
Can't help but smile when I see the ghost going for combos I use though.

Dragunov is too OP. Has +7 new mid on block, 2 new good low moves, Instant running 2 heat move,...
Neft this character please...

Reina is fun to play, but she is too hard to control lol. Weak ass low and strong mid moves just like her father.

Last edited:

Hoppa

Got the platinum super easy. Really enjoy the game, it looks and plays great! Customization is super limited but the options fit the character models well which I couldn’t say for T7. Story mode was a bit meh but I don’t really care about the Mishima/Kazama devil stuff.

Reina is cool. Azucena is so strong wtf?? but very one note, coffee really isn’t that interesting. Victor seems annoying but of the three newbies I’ll probably pick him up.

Arsic

Got the platinum super easy. Really enjoy the game, it looks and plays great! Customization is super limited but the options fit the character models well which I couldn’t say for T7. Story mode was a bit meh but I don’t really care about the Mishima/Kazama devil stuff.

Reina is cool. Azucena is so strong wtf?? but very one note, coffee really isn’t that interesting. Victor seems annoying but of the three newbies I’ll probably pick him up.
Slick dick victor is who I am initially most interested in trying out of new characters. I ended T7 as a Lidia main. If she’s DLC I’ll be all over her.

Considering Yoshi as well this go around. New design is fire. Oh and Raven looks so slick.

nikos

Nice OT! Glad to see one.

Enjoying the game so far but there's so much to learn. It seems way more complicated than other fighting games. Been a long time since I've played Tekken but I'm having fun.

EruditeHobo

I'm getting back in, slowly... I haven't been decent at Tekken since Tekken Tag, or maybe 5, so this has been a big adjustment. But it looks incredible, and plays great. Haven't seen the crashes, but then against I haven't been doing much online play yet -- just a handful of matches.

Just practicing, doing some character stories, and trying a bit of customization. Will dive into story and more ranked matches this weekend once I have a bit more confidence. Adjusting to Heat/Rage, and the juggle-heavy nature of the game, has been humbling... definitely can't play this the way I used to play Tag or 5 against my Tekken-savvy friends. Not that I'd expect to.

I really like Reina & Victor. I haven't tried coffee lady because I find her "character" so annoying... but I've heard she's very good. All the new characters seem interesting, but King is my main and Xiaoyu was my very favorite circa 3/tag, so I'm staying on those. For now. First I'm just focusing on being able to play King decently, but I've tooled around with classics like Kazuya and Devil Jin, and they also seem quite fun to play.

Really happy to be back for the start of a brand new Tekken!

Pelao

I finished the story mode in one sitting and my god it was so stupid, I loved it. I'm now going through the stories for each character.
As a casual who only plays Tekken in arcade mode and story mode, I love how good the gameplay feels in this game. I wish Tekken Force mode would come back. There were clear intentions in that one chapter in the campaign.

Klosshufvud

Thanks for great OP.

I wish the game allowed more rematches. Maybe FT5 instead of FT2. FT2 is just too little in a game where rounds can end so quickly. I enjoy Heat and it does offer freedom how you want to use it. But IMO Heat in addition to Rage in addition to all the other mechanics make it a bit overwhelming. Rage Arts should have been cut since Heat basically comes with Rage Drive now anyways. I don't even enjoy using Rage Arts since it's mostly a hail mary tool.

Next up, trying to remove film grain and CA somehow.

Klosshufvud

For everyone on handheld/potato pc's

I recommend getting this mod (it's just changing .ini values)

Use catmull as upscaler (80% from 800p) as it seems to be the most lenient on performance. This should make the game run 60 fps. Looks alright but Tekken 7 looked much better on handheld with less power demand. Oh well.

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
I'm a Tekken casual and haven't played the series since Tag properly and a bit of Tag 2 on Wii-U but that ain't a game for casuals which is no wonder why I couldn't "get" it.

Doing Arcade Quest right now with Victor, probably the best way to teach you a fighting game I've seen in a while.

Doing Arcade Quest right now with Victor, probably the best way to teach you a fighting game I've seen in a while.
Enjoying the game so far but there's so much to learn. It seems way more complicated than other fighting games. Been a long time since I've played Tekken but I'm having fun.

Arcade Quest is the place to learn. I haven’t played Tekken since Tekken 2. I went with the old boy Law and arcade quest is bringing me up to speed. This is how a tutorial should be done. Gradually introduce new moves and concepts through regular battles. It reveals how weak the practice-mode style of tutorial in SF6 truly is.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

Story mode was incredible.Best Tekken story and one of the greatest fighting game story modes ever made. Final fight was some next level shit.

I loved all the eastereggs and call backs.Such a love letter for the fans.

Also the OST,most energetic and livewire ost since Metal Gear Rising in 2013. Should be in OST of the year easily.

The roster is so good.My new main Reina is just
Season 6 Dylan GIF by Bachelor in Paradise

I love this game,I love this roster,I love this story,probably overthrowing Tekken 5 as my all time favourite Tekken.

Finished Story Mode, easily the best in franchise history, nothing to debate. I'm not talking about the actual narrative/writing, Tekken has always been silly and melodramatic and it's no different here. I'm talking about the glorious spectacle, over-the-top sequences, hard-hitting battles and general variety. I'd like to think one chapter hints at the possible return of a fan favourite mode as DLC and that final battle? Good God almighty!

Good way into Arcade Quest too, game has been running at a rock solid 60 FPS in every mode, don't know what this other dude is talking about ⬆️⬆️⬆️. Maybe online has some issues, can't say because I haven't tried it yet, need to get a month of PS+ since I didn't renew when my Premium sub expired last November.

Really want to dedicate time to some of these new characters but I just can't let go of my boy King lol. I do wish characters had at least 2 Rage Arts to keep things fresh, they could have just kept the same ones from Tekken 7 for returning characters, King's was far superior there. Anyway, going to try Super Ghost Battle now 👌

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
Should hit 9-10 hours today.

Been playing on the Series X and S. It's the best of this generation's fighters.

I'd rank them:

1. Tekken 8
2. MK1
3. SF6

eZ4dRPo.png

Arsic

I think this is the only game I can think of where on ps5 I’ve had to download it, and then it has to install itself.

Download took 3 minutes, and now it’s been over 20 while I can only do me vs a cpu with a tiny roster as it installs.

Why? I find this to be a terrible first time user experience.

Top Bottom