• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken 8 |OT| Don’t H8 When Fist Meets Fate

OverHeat

« generous god »
How do we turn off upscaling for the love of god!!!!!???? wtf at 60 fps cap on pc

Last edited:

SkylineRKR

I keep coming up with sick combos in practice mode, but in actual fights I can't remember crap.

Pick 2 or 3 combos from practice mode you like. Keep doing them over and over until you automatically go for them after any launcher.

With Azucena for example, I do a lot of

d2,3, 1+2 after a launcher. which you can follow up with many moves. If its a high launcher (such as rising/WS 2), you can start with 4,3 and then do it.

Generally, you see a pattern. Many Azucena combos start with d2,3, 1+2. Every character has some sort of bread and butter move like this.

I keep coming up with sick combos in practice mode, but in actual fights I can't remember crap.
This is why I regard arcade quest so highly. I remember having your problem in Street Fighter because combo trials were the only way we were taught combos. Arcade Quest here says, “here is a combo that launches the enemy, use it”, and it’s shown on the screen in every fight at that arcade. “Here is a combo that uses the heat dash, use it”, and so on. Every arcade introduces a few new combos and rewards their usage.

With games going gaas and so low content upfront and so few modes and promises of content ahead
It's such a pleasant surprise Tekken has an amazing amount of content upfront
Fucking 32 characters at launch with good amount of single player content , excellent multiplayer full cross play is just pure cocaine.
Mark my words its going to sell well

It's becoming very difficult not to break my resolution of not buying new games at launch with this just coming out. The demo was outstanding for this and both my kids ended up playing together which was fun to watch. I'm glad it's doing well, I'll try to fight the urge to pick it up until a sale comes around...

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Been absolutely steamrolling in ranked with Yoshi. Won like 15 straight last night. Damn I love the first few weeks of fighting games online. Gonna try to hit purple ranks by the weekend.

The guy with a gun is a total dickhead. I gotta lab him up. Kinda reminds me of Noctis in t7.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Fight ghosts, in fact fight your own ghost until it starts beating your ass with your own combos.
I spent hours playing my ghost, poor thing hasn't stood a chance yet.
It's learning though but I always got something new to teach it.

I spent hours playing my ghost, poor thing hasn't stood a chance yet.
It's learning though but I always got something new to teach it.
Nice, but are you also giving it a chance to do your combos? Because it also learns how to block and punish if you let it attack you; a bunch of bots I fought barely blocked and would even take hits from sequences that weren't real combos.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
PS5 version.....what are you guys using for your brightness and that other setting (saturation i think)? in the image calibration menu.

I'm trying to find that sweet spot where the image looks super sharp and clear but not too bright. The main menu screen with all the tabs looks a bit bright on my OLED no matter what i do.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Nice, but are you also giving it a chance to do your combos? Because it also learns how to block and punish if you let it attack you; a bunch of bots I fought barely blocked and would even take hits from sequences that weren't real combos.
Oh yes and I've shown it blocking and reversals and fake ours and I've seen it do it and adapted to it, so I'm learning from myself
But the problem is unlike AI I ain't predictable.
I changed to the situation but I'm sure it'll learn that too eventually.

Klosshufvud

Additional thought regarding Heat; I really think Heat Smash is mostly only valid as a whiff punisher or combo extender. It's otherwise a high risk move and there are generally safer options to go for in neutral.

Also, my thumbs hurt now on the damn Dualsense controller. First Playstation controller to hurt my thumb like this because of its stiff d-pad. Oh well. The show must go on!

Needlecrash

Untitled.png

anyone who wants to add me up please do
I'll add you sir.

SCB3

Holy shit the story mode is great but did we really have to fight a cheesy as fuck Kazuya close to 14 times!? It got to the point where I was legit bored of fighting him

I played about 20 ranked matches. Half PC and half PS. One single Xbox match, and it was some Kazuya beginner spamming special controls. Now I see why people find them annoying.

First Playstation controller to hurt my thumb like this because of its stiff d-pad.
This is the first I’ve heard of this. I always thought the pad was kind of soft, especially compared to the hard clicky Xbox pad.

My problem is that my right hand slides up a bit and catches that edge under R2.

PS5 version.....what are you guys using for your brightness and that other setting (saturation i think)? in the image calibration menu.
I have Sony a95k and just left it at whatever the defaults are.

Crayon

Ahhh I hardly got to play. I got like 3 hours in on saturday and that was it. Spent the rest of the day at a family thing and my wife wants every spare minute for us to play BG3. Then next day I had to pull out a fucking gas tank that got a crack in it from some freak debris on the freeway. Worked till I finally got it out but I couldn't take any more of the fumes under there. Went back in and right to BG3 all night lol.

When I got to play though, I did that thing where I got tired of trying to brush up and jumped straight online lol. Impatience. I still didn't understand how heat worked except it was obviously some kind of install that seemed to happen by itself so that was good enough. It's such a nice game. I really enjoyed the time I had with it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Been absolutely steamrolling in ranked with Yoshi. Won like 15 straight last night. Damn I love the first few weeks of fighting games online. Gonna try to hit purple ranks by the weekend.

The guy with a gun is a total dickhead. I gotta lab him up. Kinda reminds me of Noctis in t7.
I've been enjoying playing as Yoshimitsu. Feels better than Tekken 7 to me.

splattered

Additional thought regarding Heat; I really think Heat Smash is mostly only valid as a whiff punisher or combo extender. It's otherwise a high risk move and there are generally safer options to go for in neutral.

Also, my thumbs hurt now on the damn Dualsense controller. First Playstation controller to hurt my thumb like this because of its stiff d-pad. Oh well. The show must go on!

splattered

As I've said before going back and forth between Xbox controller and PS5 controller makes my hands hurt when I play a competitive game on dualsense. Different stick layouts? I dunno but doesn't seem like it was a problem as much on ps4.

Klosshufvud

I like having to hesitate when an opponent is on the ropes, but I’m already tired of seeing the same animations over and over.
The animations are just salt on the wound and I feel like it just teaches bad habits of forcing 50/50 toin coss scenarios. I know there is more to it than that but I can't see how a mechanic introduced for beginners is actually fun for beginners. It isn't. So many times someone is spamming RA and then realizes I hesitate because he has RA and then just does a sneaky low or grab. I just find this scenario extremely frustrating to play around.

makaveli60

Tekken 3 was my absolute favorite game on PS1 but it’s terrible that I’m still seeing the same animations in Tekken 8 as in that game. How is this acceptable? Do Tekken fans really don’t care about this and a little better graphics is enough? I seriously don’t get it. I will buy this for a heavy discounted price of course, like I did with 7 (which again, barely looked different than 6) as I like the series but it‘s so disappointing that the animations just refuse to evolve.

Last edited:
Tekken 3 was my absolute favorite game on PS1 but it’s terrible that I’m still seeing the same animations in Tekken 8 as in that game. How is this acceptable? Do Tekken fans really don’t care about this and a little better graphics is enough? I seriously don’t get it. I will buy this for a heavy discounted price of course, like I did with 7 (which again, barely looked different than 6) as I like the series but it‘s so disappointing that the animations just refuse to evolve.
There's a price to pay if you want 30 characters on your starting roster.

The animations are all completely different even if they have similar key frames. Only ones that could have used a bit more polish are the idle animations with too much movement like Lee.

The animations are just salt on the wound and I feel like it just teaches bad habits of forcing 50/50 toin coss scenarios. I know there is more to it than that but I can't see how a mechanic introduced for beginners is actually fun for beginners. It isn't. So many times someone is spamming RA and then realizes I hesitate because he has RA and then just does a sneaky low or grab. I just find this scenario extremely frustrating to play around.
The Rage Arts can only take about 40% of health and activate at about 20%, so if you are ahead enough it is not a concern. It is a tool but the armored moves are already there to set up exchanges with similar damage output. I am more peeved by certain moves automatically triggering heat as it streamlines both what I can do and limits my use of it. I would love to have some alternative Rage Arts and selectable intros and outros like Street Fighter IV as some are downright intolerable like Marshall Law's greed and Azucena's coffee talk.

Last edited:

makaveli60

The animations are all completely different even if they have similar key frames. Only ones that could have used a bit more polish are the idle animations with too much movement like Lee.

The Rage Arts can only take about 40% of health and activate at about 20%, so if you are ahead enough it is not a concern. It is a tool but the armored moves are already there to set up exchanges with similar damage output. I am more peeved by certain moves automatically triggering heat as it streamlines both what I can do and limits my use of it. I would love to have some alternative Rage Arts and selectable intros and outros like Street Fighter IV as some are downright intolerable like Marshall Law's greed and Azucena's coffee talk.
I’m sorry but the below example (which is not exactly from Tekken 3, but shows my point) I can see no difference:

Of course it is acceptable. If they literally took Tekken 3, added smooth online play, it would still be worth every penny. Games do not constantly need to have “more” to be worth playing.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Azucena is so much easier than Reina to hit big dick damage. Reina without perfect EWGF makes damage routes hard. Azucena basically feels like female Miguel.

Victor is super hype too.

These 3 newcomers are so well done. I never played Leeroy in T7 and tried him here… this dude hits like a Mack truck without any difficult inputs or ways to get there.

Lastly, this is the BEST version of King in any tekken. God damn!

stn

So from heat dash its basically a 50/50 between a low or a mid? Or I guess a counter-hit if they press buttons? I guess I'm trying to see if it works like USF4 FADC in that you can use it to extend combos?

So from heat dash its basically a 50/50 between a low or a mid? Or I guess a counter-hit if they press buttons? I guess I'm trying to see if it works like USF4 FADC in that you can use it to extend combos?
heat dash is safe, so yes it's a mixup situation, however you can activate heat after a tornado and then use that extend your combo, the damage won't be much higher than just finishing the combo, but you'll have heat activated

Klosshufvud

Armored moves can be thrown and they usually have wind-up animations too. Not to mention they don't have those stupid lengthy animations either. RAs are not satisfying to win with and they're infuriating to lose against. And it usually takes some rounds before you get the hang of a player's RA habits and by then the game is over and done. No, this is just a garbage T7 leftover mechanic already made redundant by Heat. There was no point bringing this trash over.

I’m sorry but the below example (which is not exactly from Tekken 3, but shows my point) I can see no difference:
They would need to change the move to transition to crouching and standing instead of prone to really diferentiate it (ala Jean from Virtua Fighter 5R). There are slight differences in the left leg though.

Armored moves can be thrown and they usually have wind-up animations too. Not to mention they don't have those stupid lengthy animations either. RAs are not satisfying to win with and they're infuriating to lose against. And it usually takes some rounds before you get the hang of a player's RA habits and by then the game is over and done. No, this is just a garbage T7 leftover mechanic already made redundant by Heat. There was no point bringing this trash over.
If Rage Arts were removed I would not miss them. I would not mind exchanging them for infinite heat either. At the same time, they are not as much of a nuissance as in Tekken 7 and do not significantly alter the outcome of a match. Even Tekken 6's Rage was a far more egregious offender in this regard.

Azucena is so much easier than Reina to hit big dick damage. Reina without perfect EWGF makes damage routes hard. Azucena basically feels like female Miguel.

Victor is super hype too.

These 3 newcomers are so well done. I never played Leeroy in T7 and tried him here… this dude hits like a Mack truck without any difficult inputs or ways to get there.

Lastly, this is the BEST version of King in any tekken. God damn!
Azucena is a fun spectacle fighter and Victor is amazing outside of the absurd Metal Gear Revengence sword. Reina I absolutely despise. Her strikes have practically no impact and her being thrown into the spotlight is cringe like Luke in Street Fighter 6. I think King was better in Tekken Tag 2. I personally think Nina is the best she has ever been though.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

King is forever the champ! Anyone complaining about T8's customization options are out of their mind. I loved SF6 but beyond basic colour swaps and an alt outfit (that requires grinding through World Tour which was fine by me, I loved that mode), everything else is locked behind a paywall. I'm talking strictly about the main character roster, not Avatar Battles where there is freedom to do what you want. In T8 every character comes with 4 preset looks and the customization options are endless, the game really needs a proper Photo Mode 📸

5L0N43B.jpg
Yeah the customization is amazing in this game,my Reina looking like a queen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Rage Art is still as trash and infuriating as in Tekken 7. What a garbage piece of shit mechanic.
Rage art is so easy to defeat in Tekken 7, though. As long as you know where each character's move hits it's so easy to block or avoid. It's great flair to use to punish with. Watching the same animation every time makes it kind of dull, though.

SkylineRKR

Azucena is basically a Josie/Katarina/Miguel hybrid and for the better imho. I didn't enjoy those 3 much, even though I started T7 with Josie. But Azucena is a lot of fun.

Agreed. Heat should be a good enough comeback mechanic. But its probably too complex for beginners since you can activate it whenever and also on accident if certain moves connect.

RA is ofcourse stupid easy. It only works near death and there is nothing else to it.

I don't know the optimal ways to use HA other than do it near the end of a combo and finish it normally. But it does give you more ground because its an extra hit that pushes back. So you get your opponent closer to the wall. I tried some other things but they didn't work, for example Zafina's second to last hit from her most advanced combo challenges (the f,f,f 1+2 follow up I think), she stays in crawling stance which doesn't even allow heat activation lol.

However some moves that normally don't have a follow up such as Paul's Deathfist can be followed up with a Heat Dash on hit, in which turn you lets you combo after a connected death fist anywhere on the screen.

Last edited:
Rage art is so easy to defeat in Tekken 7, though. As long as you know where each character's move hits it's so easy to block or avoid. It's great flair to use to punish with. Watching the same animation every time makes it kind of dull, though.
Yeah I hate to watch the same animation over and over and It's too long. At least give a character 2,3 rage arts to customize. Like Jin has different rage art in story mode.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Yeah I hate to watch the same animation over and over and It's too long. At least give a character 2,3 rage arts to customize. Like Jin has different rage art in story mode.
I agree. Some variety per character would be better. Especially If they hit differently and your opponent would have to guess which one they needed to avoid.

However some moves that normally don't have a follow up such as Paul's Deathfist can be followed up with a Heat Dash on hit, in which turn you lets you combo after a connected death fist anywhere on the screen.
That shouldn't be possible, heat dash just closes the distance and puts you in a mixup sitation, it doesn't give you a guaranteed combo afterwards; if you managed to connect a hit after "phoenix smasher" > heat dash, then it sounds like your opponent simply isn't blocking.

Top Bottom