• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Take-Two plans to release 2 "previously-released titles" by the end of current Fiscal year, which ends in March 2024.

Perrott

Gold Member
Red Dead Redemption remake and a next-gen Red Read Redemption 2.
Remedy is working on Max Payne re releases right?
Yeah, but those aren't coming out until 2025 at the earliest, per Remedy's financial reports.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
RDR and RDR2 as a package would be a dream come true but I think they changed plans after the disaster of the GTA remasters.

I’m down for whatever they have planned though.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Also, does Bully hold up today? Never played.

Depends what your threshold of "hold up" is. It's very much that PS2 golden era Rockstar where it feels like a silly arcade game, which I adore. Others cannot go back to it. Personally it's one of my all-time favourites for the unmatched vibes and aesthetic but the game itself is pretty rudimentary stuff, so it might depend how much the setting clicks with you.

I would probably get RDR for PC. It has been a minute since I played that and hopefully they retain the online which was so much fun.

The other game though? A remastered Max Payne 3 with proper skippable cutscenes would be good too.

El Muerto

Please be one of these...
VBkaxWk.png
kZ5sYa2.png

YCoCg

Can't wait to see how new Rockstar outsource these to a shit studio like GSG and shit out some rushed broken ass product that everyone will throw money at.

StueyDuck

Well according to "leakers" we assume one is rdr.

Wonder the other, we heard gta4 remasters but I thought those got squashed 🤔

Would love anything bully but I don't see that happening, the franchise seems awol.

Maybe a midnight club 🤷‍♂️

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It would have to be a remake and not a remaster.

The original source code was duct-taped together (and lost, or unsalvageable, I believe), game miraculously saved by The Benz and "just works." Albeit some of the best bugs ever, like flying bird people (which I sadly never got to experience in my playthrough). It's a reason why there was never a PC version.

So I would think you can't simply remaster it due to said issues with that. So here's to hoping the longtime rumor that it's remade with the RDR2 engine is true. With 60fps on current gen machines and a hopeful RDR2 patch to coincide.

Going to be very cautious and keep my expectations in check with current year R*/Take2. But would love to be pleasantly surprised.

Last edited:
I’d love it if it was GTA4, but I doubt it if they are close to the release of 6, but you never know. I’m guessing it’s red dead 1 and current gen version of red dead 2.

wvnative

It would have to be a remake and not a remaster.

The original source code was duct-taped together (and lost, or unsalvageable, I believe), game miraculously saved by The Benz and "just works." Albeit some of the best bugs ever, like flying bird people (which I sadly never got to experience in my playthrough). It's a reason why there was never a PC version.

So I would think you can't simply remaster it due to said issues with that. So here's to hoping the longtime rumor that it's remade with the RDR2 engine is true. With 60fps on current gen machines and a hopeful RDR2 patch to coincide.

Going to be very cautious and keep my expectations in check with current year R*/Take2. But would love to be pleasantly surprised.
what is the source of people's claim the code is such a mess?

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
what is the source of people's claim the code is such a mess?

Ash 735 posted this on NeoGaf in 2016. He was an former R* dev and has a mod workshop fixing past GTA games.
966bb5edd8433375d5c529fc977b8a18.png

Here is the Gaf post:
Because it's a miracle it even works on consoles, it was slapped together and rushed around until things just made sense, unlike other Rockstar titles from that generation it uses a subset build of the engine, to clear it up, here's how RAGE is broken is broken down...

RAGE ERB1
- Rockstar Presents Table Tennis

RAGE ERB2
- Grand Theft Auto IV
- Midnight Club LA
- Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City

RAGE ERB3
- Max Payne 3
- Grand Theft Auto V/Online

RAGE is developed by Rockstar San Diego, the studio that handles the Midnight Club and Red Dead series, for Red Dead Redemption though it uses neither ERB2 or ERB3, it's like a highly customised split off version of ERB2 mixed with some RB3 features (think of it like a 2.5), The code for that was a complete mess and changes were made daily without being documented during development, and as such no PC version of the code was ever made as they strictly focused on getting the Xbox 360 (which was the main focus of RAGE during ERB1 and ERB2) and PlayStation 3 version of the game stable.

After Red Dead Redemption, Rockstar used the year in which L.A.Noire was being pushed (which doesn't use RAGE) to heavily rework RAGE for a new build which took advantage of both PC and PlayStation 3 features, as well as pushing the Xbox 360 to it's limits, this resulted in ERB3 which debuted with Max Payne 3, which of course had a brilliant PC version compared to the previous PC release which at the time was Grand Theft Auto IV/Episodes from Liberty City.

The ONLY way Rockstar could do a remaster of Red Dead Redemption is if they took the game itself and transfered it over to ERB3 and THEN ported it to PC (which in turn would allow PS4 and XBO versions too), but to salvage that mess of a code and actually put that amount of work into it would cost a lot of man hours.

It's not because "they just hate PC gamers", etc, or anything silly like that, it really is because the game itself is a coded mess and it's a surprise it got stable on 360/PS3, if you look at the assets yourself you can even see things like audio and textures thrown in last minute not packed in the archives properly, etc, as an example of how things were being thrown around right up til gold with the game.

Top Bottom