• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Sleepwalker

I... honestly don't care? PS has a lot of games coming out this year. Third parties represent the bulk of gaming.

Sony putting out 5-10 high quality games over the course of a generation is enough for me to justify the system.

Gambit2483

Well there better be a shit ton of New IP being released this year then...also does that mean no Venom this year or does that count as "New IP"?? 🤔

ReBurn

Gold Member
It sucks but honestly my interest in Sony first party is decreasing as times moves on.
This gen Playstation is all about their "second party" and third party deals like FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin and Death Stranding 2.

The only first party studios I'm somewhat interested in are Housemarque and maybe Santa Monica if the next game isn't the adventures of Atreus.
It's shaping up to be a year of moneyhat exclusive games, that's for sure.

Topher

Gold Member
Told you ... time to move the goal posts

See Topher Topher what we have been talking about for quite some time now.

I would have rather we were wrong, but....

Awkward John Krasinski GIF by Saturday Night Live

reinking

Gold Member
Not being funny but aside from GT7, Sony have not really done much to excite me either. Sony are not doing anything spectacular expect selling lots of consoles. And they are able to do that because MS have been shooting their own feet for two generations straight. Never had a company been handed so many Ws off the back of their main rivals constant failures. They given us nothing but remasters, Spider-Man ( which is starting to feel stale) and horizon’s sequel kinda just came went and been forgotten about. They are coasting off old success as far I can see.

Xbox is part of MS, same way PS is part of Sony…. This “ big daddy’s war chest” rhetoric some of you spin is just laughable. Xbox is owned by MS, of course they are gonna throw money at it. Playstation would not exist were it not for Sonys once upon a time opening that once fat warchest of money made from electronics, music and movies….well that and Nintendo humiliating them at CES 1992, to give them at extra err…. ‘motivation’. You think Sony just sold a shit tonne of snes and megadrive carts back in the day and thought “ hey let’s build a Playstation with it?” …. Playstation was funded too. Now Playstation is keeping sony alive. Xbox can die and MS will still be a three trillion dollar monster with a shit tonne of studios under its belt. What happens to sony if Playstation dies?

One company is dependent on their subdivision ( Playstation is Sonys main bread earner, at a time when all their other businesses are going down the drain) the other trays it’s subdivision like…. A subdivision, because MS is large a company to rely on games alone. They make the bulk their money in software, security, business and from the looks of things they are gonna be the most dominant player in emerging tech markets ( AI and cloud gaming). And their surface table ate and laptops ain’t doing too bad either……

I think you guys like to frame it as Xbox Vs PlayStation when it’s Actually MS vs sony. When the iPod killed the Walkman it wasn’t looked as iTunes Vs sony music….. when Samsung took over as the number one electronics company we never looked at ‘Bravia’ as not getting enough funding?I don’t get why you guys think you can seperate the department from the company when obviously these companies fund their departments…. Except for Sony who is basically probably gonna solely a games company at the rate their other business are flopping.

These are just brands that exist within these companies, you trying to frame Xbox as a child and MS as some rich parent is just daft…. They are department that is part of Microsoft. When we talk about windows being the dominate OS we don’t say “ oh it’s because daddy big bucks MS” they are department within MS. You guys trying to separate the two is pure false narrative for the sake of fanboy banter on forums and it’s utterly irrelevant.

You say it’s MS trillions that keep Xbox relevant…. I say it’s been it’s loyal die hard fanbase who put up with their shit. But I’m just one of those guys that have owned every Xbox since the first one…. What do I know, eh?
I agree about Sony needing to release more. In my, and many others, opinion this has not been the strongest generation for either console when it comes to games. My comment was made in the context of what I was replying to.

As for the “war chest” that “we” throw around. That was started by team green about how much money MS can throw at low sales and game pass because of MS money. Do you really think that I do not understand that XB is a division in Microsoft when I made that comment? Of course I did. I also did when I was telling people for years that MS was going to expect a return on investments into Xbox some day. All I got for those efforts was laugh emojis. Well…. ….we will see tomorrow how that is going to play out.

You seem to think I said a lot more than I did with my comment. Show me where I said that it was MS trillions that kept MS relevant? (It was, but I did not say that). I said XB had MS money to bail them out of being lazy this generation. Look at the purchase Microsoft made and tell me I am wrong.

As for owning every Xbox…. .Jokes on you, I have owned ever Xbox console (multiples) since the first console, but what do I know, eh? The difference is, I have also owned all of the other consoles too so I do not see everything form the same shade of green as you.

Last edited:

SenkiDala

"Existing franchise"....this means we aren't getting sequels. Wasn't everyone saying they are getting tired of remasters and sequels from Sony? What's the problem here?
It's not like they announced new IPs too. They're talking about March 2025, in 1 year.

They won't announce a new IP to come in 13 months now... New IPs are announced way before.

Just as we're saying since 6 months, Sony 1st party to come.

But that's ok, they're Sony.

RickMasters

As for owning every Xbox…. .Jokes on you, I have owned ever Xbox console (multiples) since the first console, but what do I know, eh? The difference is, I have also owned all of the other consoles too so I do not see everything form the same shade of green as you.

Good for you bro! During the x360 era I was just touching my 20, and realised I don’t really have time to play multiple consoles. I been saying for ages I want a switch but doubt Ill really buy one ( I barely have the time for one console let alone multiple… just seems like a waste of money at this point in time for me personally) I also play games on PC but really that’s because my day job requires that I have powerful computers. I would not even have a steam account if I didn’t need to build my computers the way I do.

I just don’t feel a need for more than one console. I already split gaming between my other hobbies and gaming is not my fave hobby since my early 20s. Back then I had the PS2, OG Xbox and GameCube… that was the last gen I did that. Other hobbies took center stage for me. I prefer making beats, playing guitar, jamming on one of my Roland or korg keyboards to old songs that I love ( usually of the 80s and 90s rnb variety because I live the chords) surfing ( I’m terrible at it but I still love it) , jet skiing, messing with my car ( I’m a big car audio, massive alpine fanboy and tuning geek, ). Can’t just have one hobby and put all your time into it, bro!

And hey….Only thing green is the lenses in my Cazals my friend! I love video games, just not enough to buy everything. I’m at peace with not playing every great game that comes out. Ain’t enough time in the world, man!

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Other hobbies took center stage for me. I prefer making beats, playing guitar, jamming on one of my Roland or korg keyboards to old songs that I love ( usually of the 80s and 90s rnb variety because I live the chords) surfing ( I’m terrible at it but I still love it) , jet skiing, messing with my car ( I’m a big car audio, massive alpine fanboy and tuning geek, ). Can’t just have one hobby and put all your time into it, bro!
denzel washington GIF

Bernardougf

Gold Member
It's a good strategy from Sony. It means you wait less from announcement to release, as it should be.

Again with the hopium. Mate, I really don't give a shit when Sony announce their games. Honestly, it's very low down on my list of concerns.
Well since you got the memo and can confirm they changed their strategies i would very much like to see it so I can be ok with all this bullshit just like you

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Well since you got the memo and can confirm they changed their strategies i would very much like to see it so I can be ok with all this bullshit just like you

Calm yourself.

You said this was a "brand new strategy". I replied that it's a good strategy as it means less time from reveal to release.

I'm ok with it because they're just video games.

Raonak

Banned
Looks like sony banking hard on 3rd party timed exclusives this year.

Hope we atleast get some announcements for next year. Death Stranding 2 and Wolverine should be ready.
I need some more new IPs!

RickMasters

Sounds like no more remakes until then. Thank the lord.

Well there is that patapon remake but that will be worth it. I wouldn’t mind if they took another stab shadow of the beast, made a new wipeout ( it’s been too long)

Maybe they explore some ideas from the PS1/PS2 era…. G police, and even Warhawk. Just….. different stuff. Games that are mechanically different. I’ll be honest I’m over there whole shtick ( overly story driven, over the shoulder, shallow combat loops…..with Ubisoft like pointless bloat- quests, QTE after QTE… the forced woke messaging….. but it sure looks pretty)

They used to have this huge variety of games back in the PS1 and PS2 era. Games that fealt mechanically different to eachother. It’s like they found their money shot and want to keep repeating it.

We hear people asking for an ape escape sequel/ remake. Or how about a jumping flash game with midern game design principles? Moto toon GP could be a good AA multiplayer kart style racer with its own wacky visual style ( remember how the cars used to bounce and wave as they moved along?) Pretty sure that would have went down better with fans than knack 1 and 2……

Come to think of it…. Sony are almost as neglectful of their old IP as sega. And I still say a modern G-police game would be good, and have its own unique place in the library. A flight combat game set in a cyberpunk styled city?… maybe add out of vehicle sections and give it a nice dark sci-fi cyberpunk theme. Not entirely original but enough to build a solid AA game off. And given the visual standards of today it would still look good.

Warhawk absolutely should come back as a battlefield sized GAAS game, but they could even add single player and co op content to flesh it out.

That’s the kind of shit I would do I tan PS though.

Mooreberg

If I am PlayStation or Xbox, I would not be mentioning a single word about potential first party releases for the quarter ending March 31, 2025. GTA VI would smother everything.

That said, GTA IV and GTA V did not hit their initial release targets, so if games get pushed back to whenever it actually releases, that would be an inadvertent blunder.

Guerilla, SSM, and Insomniac would not be on the docket for releases this year. I will let others speculate who might be behind schedule among the first party stable.

Not quite sure what the Twitter brigade is babbling about. They shill platforms with no actual exclusives since launch.

Fabieter

Yes.. but seeing their sales expectations get lowered and not achieving previous goals, would not be in their best interest to reveal what their big studios are doing for this year ? Aside from sequel to big franchises they already told is a nono ? To me this reads like "our studios wont launch anything big this fiscal year" they just sugar coated (a little) .. wich is not good... no way to spin that if thats the case. We bash xbox endless for this, we cant move the goal post for sony.

I think sony fp studios wont launch anything single player in 2024, only third party deals and second party published games. And if thats the case, its not why most of us buy sony consoles, Ill be more than happy to be proved wrong by them but is not looking good, and have not looked good since the gaas showcase last year, and people have been in denial, and even with this statement the denial persists.

Why do you dismiss second party exclusives?

Killer8

This industry is going to hell in a handbasket. Development times and costs have become so bloated that we're now getting one game a generation from some developers. The scope of a lot of games desperately needs to be reigned in.

Right now the only thing keeping gaming afloat is third-party (and Japanese third-party to be more specific).

"Existing franchise"....this means we aren't getting sequels. Wasn't everyone saying they are getting tired of remasters and sequels from Sony? What's the problem here?
well, yeah, but suppose they make up for the absence of one by doubling down on the other?... tho, come to think of it, i'm not sure there's anything actually left to remaster (days gone?)...

Labadal

I couldn't care less about their first party offerings, to be honest. only PS5 exclusive first party game I have is Ratchet & Clank. The other two are Ghost of Tsushima DE, and Sackboy's Big Adventure. There are enough upcoming games for me to enjoy thanks to the JRPG bonanza.

Apollo Justice: Ace Attorney Trilogy
Decapolice
Dragon's Dogma II
Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes
Final Fantasy VII Rebirth
The Legend of Heroes: Trails through Daybreak
Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth
Metaphor Refantazio
Persona 3 Reload
Rise of the Ronin
SaGa: Emerald Beyond
Sand Land
Stellar Blade
Visions of Mana
Unicorn Overlord
Ys X

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Why do you dismiss second party exclusives?
Im not dismissing... Im talking exclusively about Sony's FP studios, in regards of Single Player games (not counting gaas) ... the last game launched was SM2 that came out oct/23 IF they dont have anything until march/25 thats 17 months ... they had one showcase last year and one this year and so far we got nothing announced, again, from their FP studios regarding single player games.

Im pretty sure all of them are working on games and eventually they will come out, but if Sony's FP dont release anything in 17 months thats absurd in my eyes and thats not why I bought my ps5.

Maybe they will comeout swinging for the second semester and all of this will be forgotten, but as of right now, all we have is this, gaas and second/third party to look for.

But for me, I just dont see this brilliant strategy of hiding big games for the second semester, they never did this and I see no reason for start doing it right now, they have shown what they have, people just dont want to believe and are hoping since that gaas showcase for the brilliant 4d chess move that never comes.

Last edited:

Forth

I am done with YouTube, just had a look and it's filled with Playstation are done and going third party headlines because of this news today.
I'm just sick of it's clickbait bullshit and anything do views mentality, it's been going downhill for a long time but I think this is the last straw for me.

Nydius

I know it's already been beaten to death in here but the word "existing" means it's still possible Wolverine could be out in 2024. Personally I don't think it will simply because Insomniac literally just dropped Spider-Man 2 four months ago and a releasing a massive open world Wolverine game barely a year afterward seems... unlikely.

But I'm not sure why so many people are posting like this is gloom and doom for PlayStation. They've always leaned heavily on quality third party exclusives to bridge the gap between their big first party releases. FF7 Rebirth alone will probably sell in better numbers than anything Xbox/Microsoft Game Studios drops this entire year, even if they get both Avowed and Indiana Jones out this year as expected.

Last edited:

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Which Xbox exclusive you playing first??
Probably none, until Forza or Halo comes with it…none of the recent Garbo tho. Definitely not Hi Fi or whatever that other under the radar game that was said to be coming to PS. Definitely not Starfield. Played on Steam for like 30 minutes, I’m good. Possibly Gears…but it depends on what entry.

Ohhhh…did you expect an actual answer, or sarcasm like your question? Welp…either way, there’s my non-sarcastic irl answer 😉

Last edited:
I know it's already been beaten to death in here but the word "existing" means it's still possible Wolverine could be out in 2024. Personally I don't think it will simply because Insomniac literally just dropped Spider-Man 2 four months ago and a releasing a massive open world Wolverine game barely a year afterward seems... unlikely.

But I'm not sure why so many people are posting like this is gloom and doom for PlayStation. They've always leaned heavily on quality third party exclusives to bridge the gap between their big first party releases. FF7 Rebirth alone will probably sell in better numbers than anything Xbox/Microsoft Game Studios drops this entire year, even if they get both Avowed and Indiana Jones out this year as expected.
If Insomniac can release another AAA game in 2024 then PS should give them anything they want, payrise, hookers etc

Topher

Gold Member
This is very worrying for PS, anyone defending this is a clown without the makeup. It's just another indication that PS upper management have well and truly fucked up this generation.

Why would any PC gamer who "defends this" be a "clown" when this is potentially bringing them more PlayStation games, more quickly?

Last edited:

EDMIX

What existing franchise were we expecting to have a new release in the next year?
Are they for sure working on the next one? That was my GOTY in... 2020(?).

They probably are, like 100%, but it would be odd for anyone to think it would be done this soon and ready for 2025.

I think we should expect a reveal around maybe 2026

All this sounds like is they have new IP to release between now and then, as they state "major existing franchise" as this can even mean they likely see some IP as minor compared to lets say a Horizon or God Of War, Spider-man etc.

Death Stranding 2 is already confirmed 2025 and we kinda have a line up already of games coming out this year by Sony, a lot of which are new IP.

Vroadstar

It's an alarm bell from the poster to gather up his bros for the concern party...

This is very worrying for PS, anyone defending this is a clown without the makeup. It's just another indication that PS upper management have well and truly fucked up this generation.

Last edited:

Gambit2483

Isn’t Ronin and Stellar Blade new stuff only on PS5?
Yeah, but it sounds like Sony is realizing how stupid it is to keep making games with 200mil+ budgets and expecting major profits, so they are pivoting to rely more on 3rd party exclusives to push their hardware...and as for their own exclusives are dumping those on PC to make an extra buck or two.

They are basically struggling to increase their profits 📈 by any and all means necessary.

They could start by stop making games that have 30 minute end credit rolls and cut these bloated budgets down...and maybe release more high quality AA games that are easier to turn a profit, like Nintendo does.

Del_X

I’m just gonna fucking say it - it’s because these bitch-ass western studios got rid of crunch. Now they can only attract “talent” that wants to be comfortable and isn’t motivated by putting their name behind a truly great title.

Nearly all groundbreaking games are made under crunch. There IS something about sleeping under your desk and putting your life behind a product that makes it great. That’s dead now in the west. Only Asia and Eastern Europe seem to have any passion.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
They could start by stop making games that have 30 minute end credit rolls and cut these bloated budgets down...and maybe release more high quality AA games that are easier to turn a profit, like Nintendo does.
Nintendo was building up to Switch Dev for years, since the Wii I think, where they started consolidating and restructuring it's work flow. Seems like it's really paying off.

Sony is different. Their teams are separated.

A pipeline needs a vision, and I think Sony's focus is GAAS?

Gambit2483

I’m just gonna fucking say it - it’s because these bitch-ass western studios got rid of crunch. Now they can only attract “talent” that wants to be comfortable and isn’t motivated by putting their name behind a truly great title.

Nearly all groundbreaking games are made under crunch. There IS something about sleeping under your desk and putting your life behind a product that makes it great. That’s dead now in the west. Only Asia and Eastern Europe seem to have any passion.
Western Game Development problems can easily be summed up with

1. Bloated budgets (too many people on pay roll, paying stupid companies like Sweet Baby inc. Videogame credits should never be more than 15 minutes long)

2. Putting politics into games, causing unnecessary controversy and potentially hurting sales

3. Getting rid of the AA market (AA basically only exists now in Japan and within Indies)

4. No talent retention. All of these layoffs and contract workers are absolutely stagnating creativity and passion within these development teams. You can't create great games without Team synergy, Great leadership and knowledge transference from vets to rookies.

This is why Japan, particularly Nintendo, is absolutely  crushing it. They have NONE of these issues. They get it whereas the West doesn't and corrupted Sony with their way of thinking...and now look at Sony.

Last edited:

fallingdove

I don't think they ever had year this weak, without paid third party "exclusives" it would be even worse.

I don't know if GaaS strategy is causing it or mismanagement or something else but fact is: this looks bad.
Not really. They are managing their portfolio well. Paid 3rd party exclusivity or no, why the hell would you cannibalize sales by putting a 1st party exclusive you paid for up against a 3rd party exclusive you paid for?

Last edited:
I don't think they ever had year this weak, without paid third party "exclusives" it would be even worse.

I don't know if GaaS strategy is causing it or mismanagement or something else but fact is: this looks bad.
a competent leader will see their road map and adjust accordingly. that's the difference between PS and Xbox.

Sony has Second and third-party deals. they should announce some first party games to keep the hype going.

nial

Gold Member
All this talk because people literally can't read is what's truly concerning.
This is the list of 10-25M sellers coming from PS Studios; 6 franchises, 4 of which already have an original entry into the PS5 gen (HFW, GT7, GOWR and SM2).
Ly4enO9.jpg

Rayderism

Maybe they should try releasing smaller, actual FUN games to play with lots of replayability, instead of "interactive graphical experiences" that are mostly one-and-done's. Not every game needs to be a multi-million dollar graphical extravaganza's with an interesting story, they just need to be happy insane FUN to play. Motorstorm comes to mind....

Top Bottom