• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Alebrije

Do not see the problem, there are some 3rdp exclusives this year like FF7 Rebird, Silent Hill 2 could be by end this year, Rise of Ronin is near..
Helldivers 2 has been great besides the matchmaking trouble.

The year is covered.

twilo99

They really need to step away from their template:

2OgvGad.png

But those games sell millions so I don’t see a problem

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Xbox shills are at it with their FUD campaign

Wow, just wow

The only way Xbox Consoles are up is "up Shit Creek without a paddle."

The spin coming from failure Xbox shills via Twitter and the Xbox shills in this board is impressive. Phil Spencer fucking ye over must have done a number on ye and we are yet to hear the podcast/State of Play/Nintendo Direct coming tomorrow. Good luck 👍

I feel sorry that some were conned into buying a Series X/S with all the promises of great exclusives that will now never happen, but I'm enjoying the MS/ABK acquisition cheerleaders getting their just desserts. All in all, a great few days.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Making remakes waste time and resources, no?

And if there is no return? Thats a waste in my book.

And we good multiplayers like Factions getting cancelled and probably Horizon multiplayer will be the next in line. Tell me, was those dev times waste money or not?

If there is no return then sure, it wasn't worth the time or money. Which one didn't make back its costs for Sony?

I can't comment on Factions or Horizon multiplayer too much as I don't know the inside reasons. However, working on a project that doesn't see release does appear to be a waste to money/resources.

Fake

If there is no return then sure, it wasn't worth the time or money. Which one didn't make back its costs for Sony?

I can't comment on Factions or Horizon multiplayer too much as I don't know the inside reasons. However, working on a project that doesn't see release does appear to be a waste to money/resources.

We can still comment, unless Sony is open to speak.

Or we wait until those leaks from Insominiac happens again. I mean, there was good numbers into those charts that got leaked, but why Sony hidden from public?

Maybe all that is happening is an answer from that Insominiac leak to begin with. Who knows...

This is a so fucking good game. More from this please.

Last edited:

Terenty

They already have.

Sony have exclusive content, like always.

This month they have FF7:Rebirth, Helldivers 2, Foamstars, next month is Rise of the Ronin, April is Stellar Blade.

After that, the expectation is Concord & Fairgame$. There’s too many games to play or backlog on PS to care what’s coming 6-12 months out. Not the same for Xbox, who doesn’t have the Korean/Japanese support that PS has ever had.
The article was about Sony first party stuff from their inhouse devs. So I'm asking when did Sony announce a new big IP and release it the same year?

Jaybe

PS5 is basically the de facto high-powered home console. It benefits from all third-party game releases. Hogwarts Legacy helped move so many units last year. Shame there is nothing as big or bigger on the schedule like that until GTA6. At least from the first party side. Helldivers is looking like a sleeper hit. Maybe it has staying power and becomes an evergreen title for them. I do wish Sony would be more open with what the next big game from their stable of premier studios will be.

xrnzaaas

I'd be more pissed if I bought the console strictly for exclusives, because Sony didn't deliver much in more than 3 years. Nothing but safe sequels and remasters/remakes. Returnal may be the only bigger exception, but it's not a game for everyone.

Roxkis_ii

I knew OP couldn't wait to post this thread.
Their keyboard and mouse is probably still smoking from how fast you were making this lmao.

Droughts suck, but I trust Sony to release something worth looking forward to when the time comes. It always smart to diversify your gaming entertainment if possible in case of times like this.

Last edited:

Bojji

There is no such thing as second party, but I digress. I was only saying that you can't suggest that there is mismanagement or that it's their "worst year" based on the fact that releases for the year were Sony published new IP games from other developers. For example 2015 only had Bloodborne, Until Dawn and The Order 1886. None of them "existing franchise IP" releases and all of them "second party".

Second party is made up but it's quite logical to use when console maker is using third party studios to make new IPs.

Order was mediocre, UD was ok and BB was incredible but no matter the quality Sony doesn't give a shit about those games. Only thing they did was to announce some completely unnecessary remake of UD when first game still looks modern and even run 60fps on PS5. People are still waiting for anything related to BB...

So based on games you mentioned in the past I don't have high hopes for those "second party" games.

I genuinely can’t tell if people are joking anymore.

Uncharted remaster?

I was partly joking about that life support but I'm for sure disappointed, this gen is almost at half point and there is not much good stuff from legendary sony studios.

Read between the lines. "Existing" franchises. They said nothing about "New IPs" did they?

dirty GIF
No, but they did say they expect revenue from software sales to decline as a result, so whatever they are doing they don't expect it to sell as much as they sold in 2023 (which wasn't a particularly busy year for them in itself - was there much first party beyond Spider-Man 2? I can't recall)...

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
We can still comment, unless Sony is open to speak.

Or we wait until those leaks from Insominiac happens again. I mean, there was good numbers into those charts that got leaked, but why Sony hidden from public?

Maybe all that is happening is an answer from that Insominiac leak to begin with. Who knows...

This is a so fucking good game. More from this please.

Remakes make money. If they didn't Sony, Capcom, Square and a host of others wouldn't bother making them. Clearly there is demand.

Are you telling me you wouldn't fap yourself into a coma if Capcom announced a Dino Crisis remake?

Fake

Remakes make money. If they didn't Sony, Capcom, Square and a host of others wouldn't bother making them. Clearly there is demand.

Are you telling me you wouldn't fap yourself into a coma if Capcom announced a Dino Crisis remake?

I know remakes make money, the problem is if get profit in the end in comparison with the cost production.

This is a long term bussiness and most of the companies try to fusion the base game sales with the remaster/remake to inflate the numbers.

And Capcom is doing remakes of very old games, and is selling good because they are active open to post the numbers, whatever some are bad or not.

This week in fact, they post some numbers, actually good, others no so. For example, Resident Evil 3 Remake was a fiasco in term of sales and we know because Capcom put those numbers to show. Is easy to pick up and choise whatever is getting sucess to appeal to a premisse, but in the case of Capcom I give them kudos because they report numbers, good or bad.

Last edited:
Its gonna be interesting how they are gonna market the ps5 pro now. No new short term first party AAA single player game to hammer home why you need a ps5 pro at launch. If they cart out Druckman to sell us on tlou2 remaster but with ray tracing it would be so funny. Those gaas / mp game wont cut it too since thats not the audience Sony cultivates.

We know that already.Games like Ronin and Rebirth are not first party.And we know all studios who make AAA games won’t release them before 1Q 2025. games need time.but there will be AA and A games from them or joined ventures with other studios.I think fall and winter 2025 will be raining AAA Sony games.

Last edited:
Helldivers 2, Final Fantasy and Stellar Blade all released before May and it’s a dry year?

Don’t get me wrong I’m not on the PlayStation train at all but isn’t that a bit crafty saying shit like that?

Where was the likes of Tom during the barren big release years of Xbox ? 2022 was a fucking disgrace and given what happened with XB1 you would think Microsoft in 2020 had something else to showcase the new hardware at launch besides another Halo but no, let’s hype up Backwards Compatibility.

Last edited:
ZZyrp0Y.png

This is the totality of all PS5 only games released thus far as we enter year 4 of the gen

Worth noting that by my count at least 4 of these arent out yet, at least 5 aren’t actual AAA games, and at least Spider-Man 2 is coming to PC. Soooooo yeah. Yikes. Easily their worst output in the history of PlayStation. No hyperbole just a numerical fact

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
ZZyrp0Y.png

This is the totality of all PS5 only games released thus far as we enter year 4 of the gen

Worth noting that by my count at least 4 of these arent out yet, at least 5 aren’t actual AAA games, and at least Spider-Man 2 is coming to PC. Soooooo yeah. Yikes. Easily their worst output in the history of PlayStation. No hyperbole just a numerical fact
Holy shit, a list with Quantum Error!

Mr Hyde

ZZyrp0Y.png

Returnal?
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart?

leo-j

They just dropped hell divers 2 and have

Destiny Final Shape
Stellar Blade
FF VII R

All coming shortly , and just had persona and yakuza drop it’s overloaded .

StueyDuck

The article was about Sony first party stuff from their inhouse devs. So I'm asking when did Sony announce a new big IP and release it the same year?
I mean now we are just moving the goal posts... I'm sure if I'm willing to look back i could find some examples.

That's the problems with "gotchas" is they usually backfire

Perrott

Gold Member
PC
PC

List is PS5 only games
And? It's stupid to look at a platform's library in that way since every game that's getting released on PS5 will eventually come to PC going forward, and also because if you're a console-only player that has no interest in PC gaming, it literally does make no difference to you that any given Sony game makes their way to that platform.

Sony's output this generation is the following:
  • 2020: Astro's Playroom, Demon's Souls, Marvel's Spider-Man Remastered, Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales, Sackboy: A Big Adventure
  • 2021: Death Stranding: Director's Cut, Destruction AllStars, Ghost of Tsushima: Director's Cut, MLB The Show 21, Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart, Returnal
  • 2022: God of War: Ragnarök, Gran Turismo 7, Horizon: Forbidden West, MLB The Show 22, The Last Of Us Part I, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves Collection
  • 2023: Firewall Ultra, Horizon: Call of the Mountain, Marvel's Spider-Man 2, MLB The Show 23
  • 2024 (so far): Helldivers II, The Last Of Us Part II Remastered
Anyone reading this can like or not the lineup of games mentioned above and say whether or not they prefer it to that of X console or previous generation of PlayStation, but I don't want to hear any more of this bullshit about "that doesn't count because it's on PS4/PC" because that's moving goalposts the way only a demented console warrior would.

Last edited:
And? It's stupid to look at a platform's library in that way since every game that's getting released on PS5 will eventually come to PC going forward, and also because if you're a console-only player that has no interest in PC gaming, it literally does make no difference to you that any given Sony game makes their way to that platform.
And the list is PS5 only games so i answered your question when you asked about those 2 missing.

It’s really no deeper than that man. There’s no debate to be had here you can save your time typing your elaborate contentions with that

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I admire the topic creator and having to put this out there as if it's some kind of negative news when you don't have any idea what their game plan is. Why don't you come back in January of next year so you can give yourself the toast you deserve. I swear some of you don't intend business meetings or understand how this industry works and act like there's nothing coming. You already had one sleeper hit and helldivers 2.

I'm coming from the perspective of somebody that doesn't even buy as many PlayStation games these days.

What's the "sleeper hit"?

JaksGhost

I will never understand their new fascination with Horizon. Go back to Killzone!!!!

Killzone 2, 3 and Merc might be my favorite first party Sony games.
Horizon Zero Dawn sold about 3 times more copies than the entire Killzone series combined, that's why.

Last edited:
Top Bottom