• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

SSfox

I dont care much, the only relevant Sony studios atm are PoDi and SSM.

There is FF7 Stellar Ronin Wukong and more so who gives a shit about another game from Remaster Dog or Snooze guerilla

Last edited:

VAVA Mk2

EFFe8As.jpg

Ar¢tos

They can always remaster games that are stuck on ps3 (co-developments included), like God of War Ascension, Puppeteer, Rain, Folklore (I think they only published it, didn't help make it).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I admire the topic creator and having to put this out there as if it's some kind of negative news when you don't have any idea what their game plan is. Why don't you come back in January of next year so you can give yourself the toast you deserve. I swear some of you don't intend business meetings or understand how this industry works and act like there's nothing coming. You already had one sleeper hit and helldivers 2.

I'm coming from the perspective of somebody that doesn't even buy as many PlayStation games these days.

Three

I don't think they ever had year this weak, without paid third party "exclusives" it would be even worse.
Define paid "third party exclusives" here. That would be something like FF7Rebirth to me. The likes of Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar blade and Concord are first party games as they're all published by SIE. Keep in mind that previous years where for example something like Spiderman 1 released that would have been considered a "third party exclusive" under what I assume is your definition. Their IPs this year are just new but there isn't a lack of first party releases for it to be considered mismanagement.

Last edited:

Bojji

Define paid "third party exclusives" here. That would be something like FF7Rebirth to me. The likes of Helldivers 2, Rise of the Ronin, Stellar blade and Concord are first party games as they're all published by SIE. Keep in mind that previous years where for example something like Spiderman 1 released that would have been considered a "third party exclusive" under what I assume is your definition. Their IPs this year are just new but there isn't a lack of first party releases for it to be considered mismanagement.

I was specifically talking about FFVII, this is potentially their best game for first half of the year. Games you mentioned are second party (same for SM in 2018).

Hunnybun

Nonsense.

They need GaaS to increase revenue for the major singleplayer games, because cost are rising.
This would also allow for more smaller titles to be funded.

GaaS is a necessity, but not a replacement. Sony has been pretty clear about this.

And looking at Helldivers 2, there is a lot of potential there, despite the pessimism of the naysayers.

A necessity? You act like GaaS are guaranteed to make money and the history of the genre isn't littered with expensive disasters. It's the ultimate high-risk/high-return strategy.

Exclusive titles don't need to be subsidised any more than they already are - they carry their weight by getting users onto the platform. If they make a profit that should just be a nice bonus. This whole push by Sony is just another witless corporation chasing after Fortnite money and ignoring the pitfalls. If it pays off their response won't be to redirect those resources back into low-profit single player games - they'll just move even more development into live service.

It's clear now that this has had an impact on the SP production that served them so well last gen. Two big games in the last 2 years, and now none this year.

I hope they fail miserably.

Good! Give those franchises a break we need to see if Concord is the next big new IP that studio seems to have a ton of talent hopefully there's a single player component attached. They need a big spring showcase to show what's coming second half but first half is packed.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Good news as far as I'm concerned, creating new IP is crucial.

Nothing worse than resting every year's hopes on the same few declining franchises. Basically what got Xbox into the state its in now.

Three

I was specifically talking about FFVII, this is potentially their best game for first half of the year. Games you mentioned are second party (same for SM in 2018).
There is no such thing as second party, but I digress. I was only saying that you can't suggest that there is mismanagement or that it's their "worst year" based on the fact that releases for the year were Sony published new IP games from other developers. For example 2015 only had Bloodborne, Until Dawn and The Order 1886. None of them "existing franchise IP" releases and all of them "second party".

Last edited:

Allandor

Sony are lazy motherfuckers this gen, looks like with Xbox on life support they don't give a shit.
I guess it is more the problem that games this generation needs to much time to complete. Sony already released everything they had for PS5 that was in production before it's release. Now the games that are in production since PS5 release need their time. Most studios aren't so big that they can really work at multiple titles at the same time (other than planning). Currently games need around 5 years to complete. Just add those years to the release date of the PS5 and you can guess when the next title might get out.

Yes there are games like Spiderman 2, but (big but) this game is mostly based on the last gen spiderman. reworked city, yes, but still this is much less work and optimization than a complete new start with a total different city.

Killjoy-NL

A necessity? You act like GaaS are guaranteed to make money and the history of the genre isn't littered with expensive disasters. It's the ultimate high-risk/high-return strategy.

Exclusive titles don't need to be subsidised any more than they already are - they carry their weight by getting users onto the platform. If they make a profit that should just be a nice bonus. This whole push by Sony is just another witless corporation chasing after Fortnite money and ignoring the pitfalls. If it pays off their response won't be to redirect those resources back into low-profit single player games - they'll just move even more development into live service.

It's clear now that this has had an impact on the SP production that served them so well last gen. Two big games in the last 2 years, and now none this year.

I hope they fail miserably.
Added revenue is a necessity. GaaS is the best approach for that, because sub services aren't enough and AAA singleplayer games are the reason added revenue is needed.

Remove AAA games, and you take away the main factor that makes Playstation successful.

Just look at Helldivers 2, it went from ~7K CCU on Steam with HD1 to ~200K CCU for HD2.
The market and demand is certainly there.
When HD2 on Steam was at ~155K CCU, PS5 was at ~205K CCU.
They also had 1M players at that time.

2 or 3 successful GaaS titles could be enough if done properly and taking off.

Sony was planning on 12. That is alongside the main singleplayer IPs that are in the works, so in that regard, nothing was lost.

Last edited:

RickSanchez

does not plan to release “any new major existing franchise titles next fiscal year,”
Ok, what then ? You used to be good at making superb single player experiences. Are you planning new IPs like that ? There has been no word on single player new IPs so far.

“Regarding first-party software, we aim to continue to focus on producing high-quality works and developing live service games,”
oh, fuck off

Does the PS5 even have any great single player game that isnt anywhere else ? Demon's Souls ? anything else ?

Last edited:

Hunnybun

Added revenue is a necessity. GaaS is the best approach for that, because sub services aren't enough and AAA singleplayer games are the reason added revenue is needed.

Remove AAA games, and you take away the main factor that makes Playstation successful.

Just look at Helldivers 2, it went from ~7K CCU on Steam with HD1 to ~200K CCU for HD2.
The market and demand is certainly there.
When HD2 on Steam was at ~155K CCU, PS5 was at ~205K CCU.
They also had 1M players at that time.

2 or 3 successful GaaS titles could be enough if done properly and taking off.

Sony was planning on 12. That is alongside the main singleplayer IPs that are in the works, so in that regard, nothing was lost.

You'll have to explain to me why a game like, say, GOW Ragnarok, that'll easily clear $200m in profit, and is ALREADY subsidised by its ability to drive purchases of PS5s, needs additional subsidy. Generally speaking, products that make loads of money already don't need to be subsidised.

That's before you even get to the question of the actual return of GaaS titles. Most fail - big time. The more you make, the better the chance of having a success like Helldivers 2, but the more guaranteed are your offsetting losses on the failures. Sony's strategy of turning TLOU into a live service money grab is ultimately no more inspired than WB's idea to turn the next Arkham game into Suicide Squad. They're both just desperately chasing what looks like easy money but is actually an incredibly difficult and mercurial market. It's good business only insofar as you want to take loads of really risky bets on a small chance of getting very rich. If you needed reliable revenue to subsidise some other activity (which they don't, but anyway), the last way you should do it is investing in extremely high-risk ventures.

ByWatterson

Super disappointing of course, but getting stuff like Helldivers, Final Fantasy, and presumably one or two new IP this year is just fine, along with third parties.

The backlog is real.

Better make Final Fantasy VII Rebirth last then!!!

Seriously, though this is very disappointing and means that Sony are in a similar situation to Microsoft where they have a drought of exclusive games. I mean what will this mean for Christmas 2024 for PS5? Also, isn't the PS5 Pro supposed to be coming out this year? Is that going to be released without any killer first-party games to show it off (in a similar way to how Microsoft launched its Xbox One X without showcase games)?

Sure, there will be third-party stuff, it's not like the console won't have any games to play but what made PS4 and PS5 my console platform of choice was the steady stream of high-quality single player games.

This generation of hardware really has been disappointing for exclusives, hasn't it? I mean we finally have hardware with fantastic loading speeds and a decent CPU but the exclusives seem to have dried up...

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Both Stellar Blade and Rise of the Ronin are Sony single player games releasing this year.
I did not know they were PS5 exclusives. I stand corrected. Although how good they turn out and whether they are as accessible as Sony's usual fare remains to be seen.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Lower than expected console sales and no games from internal studios for a year. Sounds like the bad management meme we see so often these days.

cireza

They wanted to release a Remake of The Last of Us 3 to fill in the gaps... but they haven't made the original game yet :/

Last edited:

Killjoy-NL

You'll have to explain to me why a game like, say, GOW Ragnarok, that'll easily clear $200m in profit, and is ALREADY subsidised by its ability to drive purchases of PS5s, needs additional subsidy. Generally speaking, products that make loads of money already don't need to be subsidised.

That's before you even get to the question of the actual return of GaaS titles. Most fail - big time. The more you make, the better the chance of having a success like Helldivers 2, but the more guaranteed are your offsetting losses on the failures. Sony's strategy of turning TLOU into a live service money grab is ultimately no more inspired than WB's idea to turn the next Arkham game into Suicide Squad. They're both just desperately chasing what looks like easy money but is actually an incredibly difficult and mercurial market. It's good business only insofar as you want to take loads of really risky bets on a small chance of getting very rich. If you needed reliable revenue to subsidise some other activity (which they don't, but anyway), the last way you should do it is investing in extremely high-risk ventures.
Simple, pretty much the entire industry is saying that AAA gaming is becoming more and more expensive.

It also doesn't matter if most GaaS fail, because you only need a couple of successes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom