• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Interactive Entertainment will not release “any new major existing franchise titles” before March 31, 2025

Bernardougf

Gold Member
No hopium here. Some big Sony studios have been cooking for a few years now. Would be about right to show some of them off this summer, especially if they're 2025 games.
Well Im not talking 2025 here.. at least march 2025 ... and until something is announced for this year (from their big FP studios)... and they had two opportunities to do it (showcase last year and this one recently) ... it is hopium (for 2024 at least)

What they will announce for march/2025 and beyond dosent matter right now... what matter is this period of possible oct/23 to march/25...thats roughly 17 months.. without games from their big studios. IF this happens for me that are no excuses. Outside Gaas investment and poor management

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Well Im not talking 2025 here.. at least march 2025 ... and until something is announced for this year (from their big FP studios)... and they had two opportunities to do it (showcase last year and this one recently) ... it is hopium (for 2024 at least)

What's the point of revealing games that still have 18 months or more dev time? Sony have (rightly) taken flak in the past for revealing games early.

It's not hopium, it's an educated guess. I honestly couldn't give a shit when they reveal their FP titles.

Beechos

Ahh so now it all makes sense it was sony spreading these xbox 1st party rumors coming to their system for the lacks of exclusives this year.

All jokes aside these dev times are getting ridiculous. 1 mainline aaa game a generation we are about to get into.

hinch7

Haven't played my PS5 since Spiderman 2, and that was several months ago. Only turn it on to activate my monthly games.

Not going to invest in any more console any time soon at this rate. Horrible generation of games as exclusives go on PlayStation. The only reason to own one is earlier access to games like FF.

Last edited:

Bernardougf

Gold Member
What's the point of revealing games that still have 18 months or more dev time? Sony have (rightly) taken flak in the past for revealing games early.

It's not hopium, it's an educated guess. I honestly couldn't give a shit when they reveal their FP titles.
God of War Ragnarok - reveal 2020 launch 2023
Forbidden West - Reveal 2020 launch 2022
Spider man 2 - Reveal 2021 launch 2023
Wolverine - reveal 2021 launch 2025 ?

So yes.. sony has announced their later games from their major studios at least with 1 1/2 years at minimum before they launch.. but the majority is at least 2 years and maybe 3 (gow and wolverine).

Wanna try big second party ?
Rise of the Ronin- revealed 2022 launch 2024

So again... if they are changing tactics to announce games much more closer to their launch is a brand new strategy and again hopium.

NEbeast

I mean it’s news and relevant news at that. It doesn’t matter who posts it, this still kind of sucks.
The guy disappeared for a week when all the xbox rumours were coming out after blowing smoke up xbox/spencers ass for years. Now he is here posting "negative" Sony posts now that the xbox stuff has blown over. He's an idiot.

People still think their GAAS strategy would have no impact on their first party output? We already knew from their own numbers that they stopped investing on Single player games (no more growth there) and instead decided to put all their chips on services.

Now we are simply seeing the real outcome of their +2019 strategy.
As others have already stated, it wasn’t necessarily the Gaas strategy that hurt them.

It was more that they delayed and cancelled some projects that were meant for this year. Doing this creates a large window of barely anything being released, much like Xbox in 2022.

giphy.gif

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
God of War Ragnarok - reveal 2020 launch 2023
Forbidden West - Reveal 2020 launch 2022
Spider man 2 - Reveal 2021 launch 2023
Wolverine - reveal 2021 launch 2025 ?

So yes.. sony has announced their later games from their major studios at least with 1 1/2 years at minimum before they launch.. but the majority is at least 2 years and maybe 3 (gow and wolverine).

Wanna try big second party ?
Rise of the Ronin- revealed 2022 launch 2024

So again... if they are changing tactics to announce games much more closer to their launch is a brand new strategy and again hopium.

It's a good strategy from Sony. It means you wait less from announcement to release, as it should be.

Again with the hopium. Mate, I really don't give a shit when Sony announce their games. Honestly, it's very low down on my list of concerns.

reinking

Gold Member
Just imagine what how they will be when Xbox is gone……
…almost as bad as Xbox? They did not set this generation on fire with their new releases. Firs it was BC BC BC and then it was BUY BUY BUY. At least they had that MS warchest to bail them out.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Naughty Dog tripping over themselves this generation certainly changes the optics of Sony's output.

I know this sounds like cap, but between the 2nd/3rd party releases along with my backlog, I think I'm fine with this. Plus after Helldivers 2, maybe I will actually like Concord, I never expected to like Helldivers.
I have things like HFW Burning Shores dlc, second half of god of war ragnarok, basically every psvr2 game, plus i plan to be all over helldivers 2, ff7 rebirth, rise of the ronin and stellar blade. Pacific Drive might be cool too. It's all too much considering how much time I have personally.

bender

What time is it?
Insomniac are the GOAT tippy top Sony studio now as far as I'm concerned.

I can't argue against that and I think a lot of the industry could learn from Insomniac when it comes to a production schedule and workflow while still managing to put out quality games. But for me, Insomniac games at their best have always been like a fun summer blockbuster movie that you enjoy while you are watching but forget about a few weeks later. It's why Spider-Man was the perfect marriage. I'm not the biggest fan of ND or SSM, but their games tend to move the needle more in my view.

graywolf323

🤦‍♂️ Embarrassing, they've learned nothing from their previous mistakes promoting FUD and misinformation. You'd think with the turmoil in Xbox camp we've witnessed in the past week these clowns would learn the errors of their ways by now.
I mean even if PlayStation was launching sequels these same people would be complaining asking why they weren’t putting out new IPs 🙄

Crayon

Topher Topher

I think we were talking about Sony dicking up their pipeline months ago and I was waiting a bit till jumping that conclusion. Now I'm there lol.

AmuroChan

Insomniac are the GOAT tippy top Sony studio now as far as I'm concerned.

In terms of output, no question. They're the indisputable MVP of PS Studios this gen. However, they're not a studio that's going to win many GOTY or BAFTA type awards since they don't really push the envelope with it comes to moving the medium forward like a ND did. Their games are fun to play and very much a comfort food for mainstream gamers.

RickMasters

…almost as bad as Xbox? They did not set this generation on fire with their new releases. Firs it was BC BC BC and then it was BUY BUY BUY. At least they had that MS warchest to bail them out.
Not being funny but aside from GT7, Sony have not really done much to excite me either. Sony are not doing anything spectacular expect selling lots of consoles. And they are able to do that because MS have been shooting their own feet for two generations straight. Never had a company been handed so many Ws off the back of their main rivals constant failures. They given us nothing but remasters, Spider-Man ( which is starting to feel stale) and horizon’s sequel kinda just came went and been forgotten about. They are coasting off old success as far I can see.

Xbox is part of MS, same way PS is part of Sony…. This “ big daddy’s war chest” rhetoric some of you spin is just laughable. Xbox is owned by MS, of course they are gonna throw money at it. Playstation would not exist were it not for Sonys once upon a time opening that once fat warchest of money made from electronics, music and movies….well that and Nintendo humiliating them at CES 1992, to give them at extra err…. ‘motivation’. You think Sony just sold a shit tonne of snes and megadrive carts back in the day and thought “ hey let’s build a Playstation with it?” …. Playstation was funded too. Now Playstation is keeping sony alive. Xbox can die and MS will still be a three trillion dollar monster with a shit tonne of studios under its belt. What happens to sony if Playstation dies?

One company is dependent on their subdivision ( Playstation is Sonys main bread earner, at a time when all their other businesses are going down the drain) the other trays it’s subdivision like…. A subdivision, because MS is large a company to rely on games alone. They make the bulk their money in software, security, business and from the looks of things they are gonna be the most dominant player in emerging tech markets ( AI and cloud gaming). And their surface table ate and laptops ain’t doing too bad either……

I think you guys like to frame it as Xbox Vs PlayStation when it’s Actually MS vs sony. When the iPod killed the Walkman it wasn’t looked as iTunes Vs sony music….. when Samsung took over as the number one electronics company we never looked at ‘Bravia’ as not getting enough funding?I don’t get why you guys think you can seperate the department from the company when obviously these companies fund their departments…. Except for Sony who is basically probably gonna solely a games company at the rate their other business are flopping.

These are just brands that exist within these companies, you trying to frame Xbox as a child and MS as some rich parent is just daft…. They are department that is part of Microsoft. When we talk about windows being the dominate OS we don’t say “ oh it’s because daddy big bucks MS” they are department within MS. You guys trying to separate the two is pure false narrative for the sake of fanboy banter on forums and it’s utterly irrelevant.

You say it’s MS trillions that keep Xbox relevant…. I say it’s been it’s loyal die hard fanbase who put up with their shit. But I’m just one of those guys that have owned every Xbox since the first one…. What do I know, eh?

Last edited:

Fbh

It sucks but honestly my interest in Sony first party is decreasing as times moves on.
This gen Playstation is all about their "second party" and third party deals like FF7 Rebirth, Stellar Blade, Rise of Ronin and Death Stranding 2.

The only first party studios I'm somewhat interested in are Housemarque and maybe Santa Monica if the next game isn't the adventures of Atreus.

Jesb

Expected but It’s pretty sad. These should be the prime years of the generation. The first 3 years I’d get it, but after that you should be pumping out big games every year.

Top Bottom