• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury |OT| 4 Furry Friends + Furious Turtle

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I finished 100/100 Cat Shines. Please, quote this comment and leave congratulations below.
Cbs No GIF by HULU

AJUMP23

Gold Member
So far I am enjoying Bowsers Furry. The music is beautiful and the gameplay fun. Blue coin challenges, not going to do it.

rubenburgt

Alright guys. I need your help.
I have a voucher remaining and I can't decide if I should get Xenoblade 2 or this game.

Which one would you recommend?

carlosrox

Banned
Alright guys. I need your help.
I have a voucher remaining and I can't decide if I should get Xenoblade 2 or this game.

Which one would you recommend?

Get both.

They're not all comparable games.

If you haven't played 3D World it's an incredible game (one of my very favorite of all time), plus it comes with Bowser's Fury which is just as awesome.

For me 3DW is a complete joy to play and it's just fun to play over and over again. I put so much time into the Wii U version and here I am doing it all over again. I have crappy internet sometimes and the online seems to work quite well. It's great playing 1p, 2p, or even up to 4. I just find it so hard to get bored of the game.

Xenoblade 2 deserves it for the music alone. Play it in Japanese and forget the weirdo, out of place euro accents. Profit.

Last edited:
I really love this game. My friend had a Wii U and I remember playing it and thinking "I have got to buy the next Nintendo console". Usually I am not a fan of isometric games, but this just somehow works and it works really really well.

Currently going for the 100% and rounding up all the green stars and stamps. The game is so beautiful, replaying these levels is a joy. The music is also quite nice. I love that remixed Super Mario 2 character select music they use in some of the warp pipes.

Also I figured out a nice way to easily get multiple characters on the flagpole, you just pick them up and throw them then jump. That way you only have to really control 2 characters to get 4 on a flag. Much easier than trying to quickly make a timed jump across 4 separate controllers.

carlosrox

Banned
i would say why does it look so fucking hard to jump on an enemy?

Doubt you'd say that.

It can be tough in this game. Y'know, camera angles and 3D platforming?

I'm more concerned about the beautiful music and art on my screen tho.

Last edited:

SGRU

Any tip for getting the stars in Flower-3 stage before I throw the controller through the window?

I managed to beat every stage in the game with two or three retries but I tried that fucking stage more than a hundred times and I only have the first star. Infuriating.

Last edited:
Any tip for getting the stars in Flower-3 stage before I throw the controller through the window?

I managed to beat every stage in the game with two or three retries but I tried that fucking stage more than a hundred times and I only have the first star. Infuriating.
Do you just find the stage hard or are you not able to find all the stars? If you can't find them you need to
Light all the torches with Fireflower power up.

As for tips on how to beat it, I don't really have a good one aside from take your time and try to clear enemies out at a distance.

SGRU

I knew about the torches (I already got the first star). The problem is I always fall in that freaking purple poison.

Intoxicate

I knew about the torches (I already got the first star). The problem is I always fall in that freaking purple poison.
That was the hardest stage for me until champion’s road.
Try to focus on the enemy’s, when they’re gone it’s easy to light the torches.

ah, I bet it's that dark stage with the piranhas everywhere right? Maybe use peach so u can get floaty powers to help with platforming since you will be using fire flowers. I remember it being kind of a pain in the ass, like the shots didn't want to line up when I shot the torches and then I'd fall into poison. Maybe focus on killing all the enemies first, and then it will be easier to go through the level lighting torches without falling in? For example, you could bring a boomerang suit, and have peach with a boomerang easily take out all the fire spitting piranhas, which are hard to reach with fire. Then switch to fire flower and go back through the platform lighting torches without enemies attacking you and it will be easier to not fall in.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
LTTP, but i finally got around to finishing 3D World so i just started Bowser's Fury last night.

So far i really love it! I was worried that the Bowser encounters would be a huge PITA but they're really not bad at all. I'm really loving the layout of the stages, the music and the short gameplay challenges to get the medals.

I can see them doing the next full Mario title in a format similar to this.

Intoxicate

Did finish 3D Wörld on the Wii U but forgot most of it, definitely didn’t collect all stars and stickers. Mission completed now on the Switch. Challenge road was a pain to finalize with all characters.

Daniel Thomas MacInnes

GAF's Resident Saturn Omnibus
I'm currently playing this game on Switch and it's, well, okay. Pretty good. It delivers exactly what is on the box, a 3D version of Super Mario Bros. But I must admit that I'm feeling a tad underwhelmed. It feels as though Nintendo at this point (thinking of its original Wii U release) was running out of ideas for Mario, and this videogame was their latest and most blatant attempt to turn 2D Mario fans into 3D Mario fans.

I think the lack of world design is beginning to bore me. It's always the same scenery: grass world, desert world, ice world, water world, sky world, lava world. I should point out that I'm currently at the 3rd world, so it's possible that I'll have my wish later on, but it's still a bit pedestrian so far.

To its credit, 3D World plays very well, looks nice, controls are sharp, it delivers as advertised. And I really ought to wait until I've seen everything before making a final judgement. But at this point, this feels like one of the lesser Marios. It doesn't reach the heights of Super Mario 64 or the Galaxy series, and for classic gameplay, I say New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe beats this one easily (that might be the best 2D Mario ever, but we'll never dislodge our love of Super Mario World in a million years), and the two titles feel almost like mirror images of one another, showcasing the strengths (and weaknesses) of 2D and 3D videogame design.

Top Bottom