• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury |OT| 4 Furry Friends + Furious Turtle

ReBurn

Gold Member
I had it preordered and amazon still hasn't shipped it yet
Mine was "shipped" but is "running a bit behind and if I don't get it today I can request a refund the next day."

Amazon has failed to deliver the last 3 games I bought and I've ended up just driving to Best Buy. Looks like this will be number 4.

Mine was "shipped" but is "running a bit behind and if I don't get it today I can request a refund the next day."

Amazon has failed to deliver the last 3 games I bought and I've ended up just driving to Best Buy. Looks like this will be number 4.
Yep. Me too.

I'm never ordering a video game from Amazon ever again. I cancelled my Bravely Default order from Amazon and just ordered it from Best Buy. Best Buy also had some extra pre-order goodies for that game that I wasn't even aware of. Best Buy is usually more punctual with the shipping, but even if they aren't - I'd at least not be giving more money to Amazon.

Their service has dropped off a cliff the last year. Literally the last 3 games I got were late, and one of them was entirely cancelled.

I beat 3DW (not 100% yet, because I wanted to play Bowser's Fury) and 100%'d Bowser's Fury.

I think Bowser's Fury is closer to what I want from a 3D Mario than any other SM64-like game has been. I love the open world, I love that all the islands are strange, abstract designs around a specific gimmick reminiscent of the course Mario games, but longer and more explorable. It's got that Wind Waker vibe where everything is a bit too spread out, but that was done because the kaiju fights and the 2nd phase of the final boss fight required that, because otherwise you would be cramped by all the areas.

Speaking of, I liked the kaiju fights until I realized you could grab the spikes and touch Bowser with them and knock him out cold over and over again. I don't recommend doing that - it takes a lot of the fun out of it IMO. That's easily the best boss fight in a Mario game other than that cheese.

If they could make a game with like 30-40 small areas like this with interconnectivity and more secrets in the overworld, it would be the perfect Mario game IMO.

Last edited:

ThaGuy

Anyone playing online? I can't find any games.
You can only have friends join you and vice versa. No matchmaking as far as I know which sucks when the system doesn't have a way to send messages to friends. That was one reason why miiverse was so good. You could use it for alot of things.

Methos#1975

Yep. Me too.

I'm never ordering a video game from Amazon ever again. I cancelled my Bravely Default order from Amazon and just ordered it from Best Buy. Best Buy also had some extra pre-order goodies for that game that I wasn't even aware of. Best Buy is usually more punctual with the shipping, but even if they aren't - I'd at least not be giving more money to Amazon.

Their service has dropped off a cliff the last year. Literally the last 3 games I got were late, and one of them was entirely cancelled.
I don't buy games from them since I went all digital but I buy lots of Blurays and 4K disc and in the past few months I've received more and more of them damaged and crushed. As a collector that buys these films new for the slipcovers this has irked me something furious. I've exchanged probably 20 films in the last six months.

carlosrox

Banned
BF is the real deal and the future of the Mario franchise.

This is more like what Odyssey shoulda been.

Next Mario needs to be a large open world with lots of great level design, verticality, platforming, obstacles, etc.

BF is so well done. I'm so happy with it. Such a cool little experiment and as far as I'm concerned an obvious test for the next Mario game.

Last edited:

Intoxicate

I think I finally get why 3D Wörld never clicked with me. It's essentially the 2D Mario concept put into 3D. The fixed camera takes away the feeling for the 3rd dimension, which makes it less precise to time and place jumps. Some very cool levels but I prefer a moving camera.

Chastten

Banned
Well, finished the main game again, unlocked the bonus stuff, and finished BF. Spent roughly 10 hours over the past 3 days. Not 100% obviously, but whatever.

3D World is such an awesome game. The first few levels are already pretty good but playing the first 'circus' level in World 1 is such an oomph moment. That's where everything comes together - look, sound and gameplay are at their best in those levels. Also, the final boss is still incredibly fun as are the optional levels that follow.

Bowser's Fury is a cool little addition as well, there's some really neat designs to be found in that game and I agree it's probably a blueprint for what the next mainline Mario game will be like. And while some people may claim it's finished too soon, the length was perfectly alright with me. I kinda wished you'd get some flying ability after completing the story as that world would be perfect to fly around in but I guess that would've made it too easy to get the remaining suns.

All in all it's still a great game. Paid €60 for it back in 2015, and €50 for the Switch version and it's worth every penny. Easily a 9/10 game. The game looks stunning, has some of my favorite music in Mario history and controls great. Also, I can play as cat Peach for pretty much the entire game so that alone makes it worth the price of admission.

Jeeves

Bowser's Fury is a real treat. The world is my playground, but Bowser himself also adds a sense of urgency and also kind of discourages you from spending all your time completing one island before moving to the next. Lots of times I'll arrive somewhere and collect a shine or two, and then he shows up and I hop on Plessie to dodge attacks or get him to break some fury blocks I saw earlier, and when he goes away again I'm somewhere else. It leads to a more spontaneous experience that I appreciate.

I could definitely play a whole game like that.

3D World remains incredible and possibly features the best level design of any Mario game.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Why did nintendo combine a trash mario game with bowsers fury?
Srsly holy shit i just finished the game with 50%

this is the best 3D MARIO game yet..
fucking BOTW mixed with mario..

Nintendo really made an amazing game.

e&e

Banned
Game is pure joy and very colorful. Going in full 100% with wife so far in 3 worlds. We love that we don’t lose stars if we die mid game like you would in NSMBU. Only thing is we don’t like the sharing of lives especially coming from playing NSMBU where lives are plentiful; is it even possible to get more than 10 lives while playing coop lol?

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
100%'d Bowser's Fury yesterday. Enjoyed every minute.

I might've enjoyed it more than Odyssey, because I've bothered 100%'ing it while I didn't with Odyssey.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Next Mario should have every single power up, suit, item, and ability in the series.

Every enemy.

Do it in a jam packed humongous world.

I want almost every single inch of the game covered in shit.

Make it the most overwhelming game ever. The feeling of being overwhelmed in games is a great one, and a great feeling for Mario.

Put in so much stuff that people don't know where to go or what to do.

Make it a world the size of BOTW but cover nearly every inch in Mario stuff.

Let us ride Yoshi, Plessie, the dolphins from Mario World.

Bring back the Racoon Suit and the Cape and let us fly in 3D finally.

Let us fly super high and drop down into lakes and oceans with our capes, only to equip our Frog Suits to search a sunken ship.

If you can't do that Nintendo than you better hire a genius like me who'll tell you how to make the perfect Mario game.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
any way to make bowser spawn less in end game ?
holy shit it's annoying when i am trying to complete the game

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just beat the game, for a second time, with 57 shines. I’m kinda confused about some stuff, so....

So I beat Bowser for a second... final..? Time? What the fuck is going on here? Can I ever just explore the island and collect the 100 cat shines, or will Bowser keep coming and will the final boss battle just keep repeating? It’s an odd choice, from a design perspective. If I’m gonna have to keep fighting bowser after beating the game, can they at least be short battles?
Any answers are appreciated.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I booted up 3D World as Peach and noticed the speed increase immediately. Maybe it's just me but the jumps, crouches, leaps, etc all flow into one another more smoothly than I remember in the Wii U version. Then I played as Mario and noticed a bit more of a speed boost.

Then I played Toad, the fastest runner in the game... goodness, this is not meant for mortal hands.

tenor.gif

The kids have been playing through Bowser's Fury. Looks neat, but I wanna go back through all of 3D World before checking it out.

Just beat the game, for a second time, with 57 shines. I’m kinda confused about some stuff, so....

So I beat Bowser for a second... final..? Time? What the fuck is going on here? Can I ever just explore the island and collect the 100 cat shines, or will Bowser keep coming and will the final boss battle just keep repeating? It’s an odd choice, from a design perspective. If I’m gonna have to keep fighting bowser after beating the game, can they at least be short battles?
Any answers are appreciated.
He will keep coming back there's no stopping that. When he does come back you can get rid of him temporarily by collecting a shine or just waiting it out. You don't need to keep fighting him until you collected all the shines.

carlosrox

Banned
This is some put down my controller shit.

This is just a snack before the next true Mario game. Good God the next Mario game is gonna SCARE me!

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
The next major Mario for their next console is now my most anticipated game. I forgot how damn magical 3D World is and the heights of BF are even better. Mario needs to be at a high level all the time. It needs solid design everywhere. This is why Odyssey didn't reach the heights of Galaxy or 3D World for a lot of people because it was missing that peak design. Odyssey had its moments but they felt few and far between compared to the other games being more consistent and dense. Odyssey has way too much flatish terrain and lacking in obstacle course design.

I think the Mario team saw Odyssey vs BOTW and ironically felt the same way the Zelda team when SS underperformed compared to something like Skyrim and they took inspiration from it. And it's crazy cuz Odyssey was a big success but I think they knew who made the better game.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Finished all levels except the final one, working on unlocking that now.

Wonderful game! Might very well be my favorite Mario.

However, is there really no way to tell which characters I've completed each level with? I know I need to finish all levels with all characters to get the final stamps, which I need to unlock the final level, but... how? Am I really expected to keep track of this myself?

carlosrox

Banned
I seriously love that you get to hear this in 3D World/BF after you beat a boss!

This fucking game is like Mario perfection.

Fuck is the next Mario gonna do, fuck me or something loool?

NintenGods.

Andyliini

However, is there really no way to tell which characters I've completed each level with? I know I need to finish all levels with all characters to get the final stamps, which I need to unlock the final level, but... how? Am I really expected to keep track of this myself?
Original game on Wii U showed it, but I think that unlocked only after you had beaten Champion's road at least once.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Original game on Wii U showed it, but I think that unlocked only after you had beaten Champion's road at least once.

Which seems really stupid, since you need to know that to unlock that level! Why do I care about it AFTER that?

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do all levels from start to finish with each character.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Which seems really stupid, since you need to know that to unlock that level! Why do I care about it AFTER that?

Oh well, I guess I'll just have to do all levels from start to finish with each character.
I was aactually mistakes, the feature opens up after you unlock the last world (the crown world). You don't need to play any stage in it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I was aactually mistakes, the feature opens up after you unlock the last world (the crown world). You don't need to play any stage in it.

But to unlock that you need all the stamps, no? Making it pointless.

Edit: Ok, I've been fooled by guides saying you need ALL stamps to unlock the final world. But you don't, you just need the ones you can get before that point. And then this feature unlocks.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, something is broken. I've beaten everything with Mario, except for the Crown World, but I don't have the stamp for it. Or do I only get this after collecting all other stamps?

Rathalos

Banned
I finished Bowser's Fury and it was pretty good, not quite Odyssey levels of awesome but enjoyable. I did find it annoying how often Bowser would show up, and it was disappointing that the performance wasn't rock solid, controller response noticeably declined every time Bowser showed up, and 30fps in handheld was not ideal. It was a little too ambitious for current Switch hardware.

3D World felt pretty much the same and I got bored of it about 3/4 through. I'll be whacking it up on eBay now as I won't want to replay it.

wvnative

Can someone tell me to what extent the motion controls are used? Are there main levels that require it? Are they just side levels that can be skipped?

Derktron

Banned
I seriously love that you get to hear this in 3D World/BF after you beat a boss!

This fucking game is like Mario perfection.

Fuck is the next Mario gonna do, fuck me or something loool?

NintenGods.

Damn this reads like a Nintendo fanboy statement.

carlosrox

Banned
Damn this reads like a Nintendo fanboy statement.

Maybe if you're insecure about giving credit where it's due. Is this putting anything else down? No it's just appreciating what Nintendo does and how far they've come with Mario.

"NintenGods" and "I appreciate the level of artistic talent"? Yes, much fanboy lol.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Maybe if you're insecure about giving credit where it's due. Is this putting anything else down? No it's just appreciating what Nintendo does and how far they've come with Mario.

"NintenGods" and "I appreciate the level of artistic talent"? Yes, much fanboy lol.
I can tell. No need to tell me twice my boy.

wvnative

There are required pointer controls (if playing docked, otherwise required touch controls), but it's only a few very easy parts. No waggle/tilt stuff.

I will probably end up buying it regardless, I am working on a project long term to try to bypass stuff like this in games

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I will probably end up buying it regardless, I am working on a project long term to try to bypass stuff like this in games

It's VERY inoffensive stuff, even if you absolutely hate motion controls. Literally just moving a pointer and pressing R on a few things, in like two or three levels. If you're in portable mode you just tap on the screen.

Last edited:
It's VERY inoffensive stuff, even if you absolutely hate motion controls. Literally just moving a pointer and pressing R on a few things, in like two or three levels. If you're in portable mode you just tap on the screen.
Yeah, I forgot it was there while using a Pro Controller. I knew I pressed R to "click" stuff, but I thought I was using the right stick. I guess I was just using gyro-type controls. You don't even think about it.

Last edited:
Man, what a great game. I honestly forgot how great it was. And how pretty it looks.

Can I ax a question?

I seem to remember on the WiiU version that to get some stamps, you have to touch the top of the flag pole on every level with a particular character. And I see a space for that in the menu screen where it keeps track of stars and stamps, but whenever I beat a level it doesn't track who touched the flag pole in the menu screen.

Man, what a great game. I honestly forgot how great it was. And how pretty it looks.

Can I ax a question?

I seem to remember on the WiiU version that to get some stamps, you have to touch the top of the flag pole on every level with a particular character. And I see a space for that in the menu screen where it keeps track of stars and stamps, but whenever I beat a level it doesn't track who touched the flag pole in the menu screen.
That doesn't show up till later. Kind of an odd choice but it's probably to avoid spoiling a later secret.

alucard0712_rus

Gold Member
Played BF for 2 hours, smiling from cat-theme whole time. Cat-birds are bit to much, also cat-rainbow lol. Amazed (again) by the graphics - even SM3DW looks perfect, not aged even a bit since WiiU. Wanted kids, to play with them.

Top Bottom