• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury |OT| 4 Furry Friends + Furious Turtle

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Preordered this after I got off work, down at Gamestop. Thanks to TexMex TexMex I already know the game like the back of my hand. So, with the changes, and added online MP+ BF, this is going to be fun times, even if it is a double dip.
The second dip is looking much better than the first.

Last edited:

e&e

Banned
Planning to play with wife today. Was hoping to finish the star levels of NSMBU at 100% before starting this but it HARD lol!

HotPocket69

Banned
I don't quite remember what was used for motion but all touch stuff on the tablet was regulated to motion. I believe I heard it can't be turned off.

It’s used for a few levels where you have to “touch” certain blocks. Might have to be used in the Capt Toad levels too but not 💯 on that.

Looking forward to this for the weekend. 3DW on Wii U was the strongest game on the system by far, with Bayo 2 and Tropical Freeze close behind it. Glad almost everything good has made it off that trainwreck now. Just need HD Switch Zelda ports.

They can't be turned off in galaxy.

Galaxy 2 was the worse for them - I never 100% it because of those awful roller ball and bird controls.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Sounds like the port turned out okay, other than a few issues that may or may not be patched later.

I'm excited to go through it all over again for the third time. The boost to movement speed will be much appreciated.

HotPocket69

Banned
Looking forward to this for the weekend. 3DW on Wii U was the strongest game on the system by far, with Bayo 2 and Tropical Freeze close behind it. Glad almost everything good has made it off that trainwreck now. Just need HD Switch Zelda ports.

Galaxy 2 was the worse for them - I never 100% it because of those awful roller ball and bird controls.

Really hoping we get WWHD, TPHD and SSHD for the Zelda 35th 🙂

GametimeUK

So I went into Bowser's Fury totally blind (don't cancel me). I thought it was just an extra world. I'm blown away. Wasn't expecting a whole new separate experience.

So guys... sorry to hijack the thread. Most of my local shops didn't have the game (damn you covid for having everything locked down) so I bought the two for 84 on the store. So have to use the other voucher. It's between pikmin Pokemon or any of the hyrule warriors games.

Maybe even xenoblade or octopath traveller.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Ok Bowsers Fury is actually really great. I must’ve been on my period last night because I barely notice the performance issues now and it’s all just Mario fun.
Only complaint I can think of is that eventually it will end. I wish Nintendo would make a sequel to Mario 3D World with these ideas - open world with Plessie connecting the different sections (basically like this but a 15-20 hour experience).

Golgo 13

So guys... sorry to hijack the thread. Most of my local shops didn't have the game (damn you covid for having everything locked down) so I bought the two for 84 on the store. So have to use the other voucher. It's between pikmin Pokemon or any of the hyrule warriors games.

Maybe even xenoblade or octopath traveller.
Those are all such different games, it’s hard to say. Are you looking for a really long RPG experience of something more lighthearted or action packed?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Wow, this game is so good! Never played it back in the day (except for trying a level or two at a friend's), because I didn't want to buy a Wii Ew. Glad it's finally on a good console.

I just blasted through 4 worlds in my first sitting. I vastly prefer this kind of platforming-focused Mario game over Odyssey etc. It's just more FUN. My previous favorite Mario games are SMG 1+2, but if this keeps being this good I might just have a new #1.

Haven't tried Bowser's Fury yet, gonna finish 3D World before I touch that.

Last edited:
Alright guys I've played world 1 with my fiance (already beat 100% on Wii U) and gotten 22 cat shines in Bowsers Fury. My verdict is this game as an overall package is 10/10. Bowser's Fury alone to me is excellent, it's 3D Mario near its best imho. A perfect blend of Odyssey and 3DW. It's so far been pretty easy but I'm enjoying it, beautifully crafted platforming and also sound effects really stand out. Reminds me of Banjo Kazooie actually in terms of sound design.

I saw IGN gave this game a 7. That makes no sense. I'm not sure how many cat shines exist, I'm guessing around 35, but the game is really fun and well made. Bowsers Fury alone for me after 3 hours or so is easily an 8, add a remastered 3DW and it's a 10, especially if you've never played 3DW.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Is anyone else having framerate issues in 3D World or is it just me?

I've noticed a few dropped frames, definitely nothing common. I do notice a very brief pause whenever I pick up a green star and some other stuff, but maybe that's intentional.

Wow, this game is so good! Never played it back in the day (except for trying a level or two at a friend's), because I didn't want to buy a Wii Ew. Glad it's finally on a good console.

I just blasted through 4 worlds in my first sitting. I vastly prefer this kind of platforming-focused Mario game over Odyssey etc. It's just more FUN. My previous favorite Mario games are SMG 1+2, but if this keeps being this good I might just have a new #1.

Haven't tried Bowser's Fury yet, gonna finish 3D World before I touch that.
Im glad to see people enjoying this game for the first time. I know I'm in the minority with this one but I enjoyed 3D World quite a bit more than Odyssey. Odyssey is still a very good game, it just felt aimless half of the time and the over abundance of moons made it un exciting to get another one.

All I gotta say is wait until you get to the last level. You'll know what I mean when you get there

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Im glad to see people enjoying this game for the first time. I know I'm in the minority with this one but I enjoyed 3D World quite a bit more than Odyssey. Odyssey is still a very good game, it just felt aimless half of the time and the over abundance of moons made it un exciting to get another one.

All I gotta say is wait until you get to the last level. You'll know what I mean when you get there

Yeah, my problem with Odyssey, while I enjoyed it, was that the meat of the game felt rather thin. There's SO much padding. All those pointless moons you're just given with no effort whatsoever feel very unrewarding. And there's way too little interesting platforming in that game, too much of it is spent just running around looking for shit. Now, the game does have some brilliant parts, but yeah, not one of my favorites.

This, on the other hand, is just a barrage of fun platforming levels. That's what a Mario game should be.

How substantial of a game is Bowser's Fury?

Is this like a proper, long Mario game on it's own or like a little "thanks for double dipping" bonus?

AMSCD

I've noticed a few dropped frames, definitely nothing common. I do notice a very brief pause whenever I pick up a green star and some other stuff, but maybe that's intentional.
Weird mine is having frame dips all over the place, even the first level.

poodaddy

How substantial of a game is Bowser's Fury?

Is this like a proper, long Mario game on it's own or like a little "thanks for double dipping" bonus?
I beat it today and was kind of blown away by how much I loved it. Probably the best Mario game I've played in a while, and a bit longer than I thought it'd be, but I wouldn't say it's long necessarily. It's perfectly paced.

Golgo 13

I noticed this too. Haven’t played much of the base game yet but in the first level I noticed quite a bit of stuttering and hitching

RoadHazard

Gold Member

The first level is probably the worst performing one I've seen so far. Even the pan across the level before you start playing drops a bunch of frames, that's one thing I noticed right away. But while playing I didn't notice much, maybe a frame here or there.

Are you playing docked or portable BTW? I've been playing docked only so far.

Last edited:

Gloomnivore

I don’t know if I can say 3D World is my favourite 3D Mario but it is my favourite 2D Mario. It’s the proper sequel to Mario 3 and World. The New series was never worthy.

On this replay I’m noticing just how much Sackboy borrowed from it for his latest adventure.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I don’t know if I can say 3D World is my favourite 3D Mario but it is my favourite 2D Mario. It’s the proper sequel to Mario 3 and World. The New series was never worthy.

On this replay I’m noticing just how much Sackboy borrowed from it for his latest adventure.

That was super obvious right from the first Sackboy trailer, and I hadn't even played 3D World at the time.

Just beat 3D World with all stars and stamps. That has me at 243 stars, but I see there is a total of 380. So, there must be quite a bit of post-game content.

HotPocket69

Banned
Super Mario 3D Souls

cY6XadJ.jpg

Also

qHc8QAY.jpg

Top Bottom