• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario RPG |OT| Lets-A-Go Back to 1996

SCB3

I haven't opened the game up yet but I will later today. Any tips for a first time player (meaning i never played the SNES edition) - only paper mario 64 in this genre or style of mario rpg gaming.
Embrace it and enjoy it, these kinda games are lovely and chill to play with no real "The world is ending !!!!!" kinda stakes, a bit like Mario in a sense, if you've played Paper Mario, you'll find its very similar

sigmaZ

Alright. I've nailed the timing now. I just feel it with my body
Lets Go Im Here GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

Robb

Gold Member
I’m having a great time with this so far. They’ve done a fantastic job on the visuals, music and cutscenes.

I do wish they went even further with it though. Voice acting would’ve been nice for the few lines that appear during cutscenes imo. I’d also have liked it if they made it possible to jump on enemies and do initial damage like in the Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi games. Remove the save boxes. Add more difficulty options etc. etc.

There’s a lot of small stuff that’s adding up as missed opportunities for me.

That said I’m just happy we got this at all. I never thought we’d ever see this game get remade, ever.

Would love it if this sold well enough that we somehow get a sequel at some point.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
This is surprisingly harder than I expected, on the Forest Maze with Mario/Mallow and the Mushrooms are kicking my ass, I had to go back and buy the Trueform Ring to help

Also I can't help but hear the damned FF7/8/8 Selection noise when you select something lol

Yeah, a fair number of sound effects are cribbed from Chrono Trigger, and I'm here for it.

BlackTron

yes I have peach in my party

Oh then I guess you are stuck after Marrymore, not Booster Tower...you don't get Peach until you finish both Booster Tower and Marrymore (after the cake boss). The next section is Star Hill which you should be able to access after talking to Frogfucious...I'm sorry, "Frog Sage"

Dynasty8

I remember playing the original as a kid. It was definitely more challenging in a better way. Man did they really fuck with the challenge here... I am destroying bosses in a handful of turns without ever needing to use any items...zero effort. Remake is still charming as the original, but what's with Nintendo and their obsession of making everything significantly easier now.

For context, I am at the last dungeon right before Smithy. Got here in like 10-11 hours.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
I think so 100%, yes. They are aware of how much grown ups buy Nintendo stuff and indoctrinate their kids into it. Adding easier difficulty options to cater to those kids is perfectly understandable, and encouraged. I also encourage options in the opposite direction for the adults plunking down the cash.

It's sticks out especially here because this game was remade in painstaking detail, ostensibly out of respect for the original and with the intent of retaining its essence for those who already played it, and they bothered to add a difficulty option and make sure you can't miss it. They set you up to think they did good and turns out they actually don't even give the "option" for a SNES level challenge, nevermind the opportunity for a new harder mode the remake would have afforded and dangles in front of you.

And again, it's an RPG. It's just stats. This is no real work to do, it's arbitrary.

Didn’t you play this a retarded amount when you were a kid? Like it dominated your 5th grade year with bad grades and all that shit.

Why are you disappointed about the difficulty and that you blasted through it so fast? 😂 You’ve been a master at the game since childhood. The difficulty hasn’t changed, you just got older and more skilled.

Yeah, sure, they could’ve popped in a Hard Mode (and maybe they will who knows) but they clearly approached this trying to be as pure as possible. And that means maintaining the chill, non brain busting flow of how it always was.

And you’re no dummy with games. I’m surprised you didn’t approach it knowing you were going to fuck it up quick lol

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
Oh then I guess you are stuck after Marrymore, not Booster Tower...you don't get Peach until you finish both Booster Tower and Marrymore (after the cake boss). The next section is Star Hill which you should be able to access after talking to Frogfucious...I'm sorry, "Frog Sage"
thats what is not working is saying its gonna be quiet without mallow and a snack would be nice. so the path to star hill do not appear.

Robb

Gold Member
thats what is not working is saying its gonna be quiet without mallow and a snack would be nice. so the path to star hill do not appear.
Go to Mushroom Kingdom, enter the store and talk to the store owner. I’m assuming you haven’t gotten the Cricket Pie.

BlackTron

That explains it! The thread from the beginning of the game is still hanging. Frogfucious sent Mallow to Mushroom Kingdom to buy his Cricket Pie when it was stolen by Croco. Go back to Mushroom Kingdom and use the coin to get the pie.

Edit: beaten

Last edited:

BlackTron

Didn’t you play this a retarded amount when you were a kid? Like it dominated your 5th grade year with bad grades and all that shit.

Why are you disappointed about the difficulty and that you blasted through it so fast? 😂 You’ve been a master at the game since childhood. The difficulty hasn’t changed, you just got older and more skilled.

Yeah, sure, they could’ve popped in a Hard Mode (and maybe they will who knows) but they clearly approached this trying to be as pure as possible. And that means maintaining the chill, non brain busting flow of how it always was.

And you’re no dummy with games. I’m surprised you didn’t approach it knowing you were going to fuck it up quick lol

If this game were as pure as possible it would be at least as difficult as the SNES version. Not lacking any way to make it even that hard despite having new difficulty options.

RAIDEN1

So I went back to this as it is a free game with the SNES Mini, but I am completely stuck (not sure if it has been mentioned here already) but when you die, you immediately get back taken to your home, next to the block with the star on top of it which lets you save the game, but how do you get back to the main world/path again? The only available path which is open takes you to a screen that shows the areas you can navigate to, and it is either go visit Bowser's castle again, or go back home, seems as if there is no way out to resume the main quest? What am I missing???

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Just finished it. I beat the original back in the day and it’s great to see this get a modern remake. It looks amazing, though it feels like it’s pushing the switch to its limits when the frame rate dips at times. They did a fantastic job with this and hopefully we can get a sequel some day. The game is a lot shorter than I remember but I guess I was a kid back in the day and it has been 17 years since then.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

I beat the Culex fight. I remember playing it as a kid and thinking "this is entirely luck." It still is. Good on you, kid me. Did the original version have the Final Fantasy IV music for the fight? I played SMRPG way before I ever played FFIV, so I guess I wouldn't really remember either way.

I suspect I'll end up finishing this game today.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Just finished it. I beat the original back in the day and it’s great to see this get a modern remake. It looks amazing, though it feels like it’s pushing the switch to its limits when the frame rate dips at times.
That's just Unity, no way Switch is stressed in that zoomed in perspective with just a few metres around the characters and a handful of objects visible... I'd guess the studio was familiar with that, they couldn't invest time into giving/teaching them the Mario engine or anything in house that maxes it.

Last edited:

Danny Dudekisser

That's just Unity, no way Switch is stressed in that zoomed in perspective with just a few metres around the characters and a handful of objects visible... I'd guess the studio was familiar with that, they couldn't invest time into giving/teaching them the Mario engine or anything in house that maxes it.

It's also not frame-rate dips - it's stuttering that occurs even in scenes that don't have much of anything going on, while others might be fine. Not sure if it's a memory issue or what, but a better piece of hardware should at least be able to brute force it.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
If this game were as pure as possible it would be at least as difficult as the SNES version. Not lacking any way to make it even that hard despite having new difficulty options.

I played the first 3-4 hours as a kid (meaning 14 when it came out) and I didn’t find it difficult then (unless it gets harder) and I don’t find it difficult at all now. Back then I thought it was supposed to be a soft warm blanket of a Square RPG coming off Chrono and FF and their pedigree. It seems to have retained that which I love.

Also I think any normal 10 year old would find it sorta tricky and maybe difficult at times if they aren’t used to any sort of physical timing based, turn based games.

We’re just approaching it from two different perspectives 😂 You were a kid when you played it. A great deal of games are always hard when you’re a kid. I was an older, much more life experienced teenager who was getting off to Duke 3D online and LucasArts anything 😌 That game, for the time I played it, was small potatoes.

Maybe it gets harder later on I dunno. I never even got Geno in my party.

Last edited:

BlackTron

I played the first 3-4 hours as a kid (meaning 14 when it came out) and I didn’t find it difficult then (unless it gets harder) and I don’t find it difficult at all now. Back then I thought it was supposed to be a soft warm blanket of a Square RPG coming off Chrono and FF and their pedigree. It seems to have retained that which I love.

Also I think any normal 10 year old would find it sorta tricky and maybe difficult at times if they aren’t used to any sort of physical timing based, turn based games.

We’re just approaching it from two different perspectives 😂 You were a kid when you played it. A great deal of games are always hard when you’re a kid. I was an older, much more life experienced teenager who was getting off to Duke 3D online and LucasArts anything 😌 That game, for the time I played it, was small potatoes.

Maybe it gets harder later on I dunno. I never even got Geno in my party.

I think that the original game is easy as far as JRPGs go, but it still had the right amount of challenge to be "hard" as a kids first RPG. Actually, I think the difficulty in the OG is just right.

I wasn't a kid when I played it, I was a kid when I first played it. The last time was 6 months ago. The new version is easier than the SNES game, even though they added difficulty options. Forget a hard mode, they don't even have "SNES easy".

I'm laser targeting on this flaw because it sticks out on an otherwise practically perfect remake.

Scotty W

Gold Member
So I went back to this as it is a free game with the SNES Mini, but I am completely stuck (not sure if it has been mentioned here already) but when you die, you immediately get back taken to your home, next to the block with the star on top of it which lets you save the game, but how do you get back to the main world/path again? The only available path which is open takes you to a screen that shows the areas you can navigate to, and it is either go visit Bowser's castle again, or go back home, seems as if there is no way out to resume the main quest? What am I missing???
Are you stuck right at the start? You probably have to talk to Toad.

zweifuss

I remember the old version you could jump on a goomba's head before the actual fight, did they take that out or am I misremembering? Otherwise great remake. Smithy's theme just rocks to all high-heaven. What a wonderful surprise for 2023.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I remember the old version you could jump on a goomba's head before the actual fight, did they take that out or am I misremembering? Otherwise great remake. Smithy's theme just rocks to all high-heaven. What a wonderful surprise for 2023.
You're misremembering - this is something they introduced in Paper Mario

RAIDEN1

Are you stuck right at the start? You probably have to talk to Toad.
When speaking to him, he just says, to sleep just turn the lamp off inside... :messenger_grinning_smiling: but still I can't workout how do you resume your quest once you have hit game-over and get taken back to square 1 so to speak

Scotty W

Gold Member
When speaking to him, he just says, to sleep just turn the lamp off inside... :messenger_grinning_smiling: but still I can't workout how do you resume your quest once you have hit game-over and get taken back to square 1 so to speak
I think you have to talk to someone. I recall getting stuck in a similar way but it’s been too long.

Danny Dudekisser

I finished the game last night - that was quick. Granted, I played the absolute hell out of the game over the weekend, but it's funny to look back at how much time I put into the game back when I was a kid and reconcile it with the brisk runtime it actually has. Those dungeons were a lot quicker than I remember.

Definitely still enjoyed it. It's a fun, light game that does the job. The game definitely gets by on charm more than any sort of character development or narrative gravitas, but... y'know. It's Mario. That's what it is. It was a good time. Performance issues (ie: stuttering) aside, I think it was an exceptionally well-done remake that replicated the original's visual style admirably, but still tweaked enough to feel modern.

So yeah - great game to finally revisit after all this time, and I'm glad that it didn't disappoint even without the benefit of nostalgia glasses.

EDMIX

*HYPER MEANINGLESS NITPICK TIME*

Of all the name changes in the remake, the one that irks me the most is "Bowser's Minions" as the de facto name of...well, Bowser's minions. It's the way the game is weirdly insistent on the term that makes it stick out so much to me. Like at no point are they ever referred to as the Koopa Troop, or Bowser's forces or army or anything to shake it up a bit. No, it must be Bowser's Minions, with the capital M every single time. As if it's meant to have a tiny TM at the end of it. Which actually would've made it funny if they did that & justify the whole thing to me.

lol what a strange change. .

Power Pro

Welp, 27 years after first renting from Planet Video and playing a little bit of Super Mario RPG, vaguely remember getting up to the point where Bowser is in your party...but yeah, never finished it until today. Better late than never, right?

It was...okay. I think the people who love it so much is mostly based on nostalgia, but I think out of the Mario RPGs I've played, Thousand Year Door still reigns supreme.

oT15UFU.gif

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Just finished with my 5 year old playing along the whole game. Such a fun walk down memory lane, now with my own kiddo. Did Culex last night and Smithy today

I love that they straight up put the SNES ending parade and music as is for the first part of the credits

Very memorable time with my kid

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I beat the Culex fight. I remember playing it as a kid and thinking "this is entirely luck." It still is. Good on you, kid me. Did the original version have the Final Fantasy IV music for the fight? I played SMRPG way before I ever played FFIV, so I guess I wouldn't really remember either way.

I suspect I'll end up finishing this game today.
Yes the OG had the FFIV boss theme/victory theme/prelude too.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I LOVE how Mario reenactment entire scenes when he try to explain to somebody, this game is just charming as fuck!

I think the people who love it so much is mostly based on nostalgia
That doesn't apply to me since I never played Mario RPG and personally really enjoying this game.

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
This game is so fun, and it’s absolutely gorgeous! It’s insanely easy, which is just fine for smoothbrains like me. I actually enjoy grinding in this game, even though it’s completely unnecessary, especially if you’ve mastered the perfect block timings.

It’s interesting playing this game in a post-New Supe era of Mario. There’s so much unique identity in this game, compared to the fairly uniform past 15 years of Mario (excluding Wonder).

I hope this is a new (old?) age for Mario from here on out.

I've been saving the flower power points for the cloud guys lightning attack after mario hammers the middle guy.
I think I'm playing this correct.

Playing this in bed before sleep.

I finished the game last night - that was quick. Granted, I played the absolute hell out of the game over the weekend, but it's funny to look back at how much time I put into the game back when I was a kid and reconcile it with the brisk runtime it actually has. Those dungeons were a lot quicker than I remember.

Definitely still enjoyed it. It's a fun, light game that does the job. The game definitely gets by on charm more than any sort of character development or narrative gravitas, but... y'know. It's Mario. That's what it is. It was a good time. Performance issues (ie: stuttering) aside, I think it was an exceptionally well-done remake that replicated the original's visual style admirably, but still tweaked enough to feel modern.

So yeah - great game to finally revisit after all this time, and I'm glad that it didn't disappoint even without the benefit of nostalgia glasses.

They had to go make am easy game even easier, hence the short playtime now. I think that it's rediculous that they did this and very unfortunate.

I think that the original game is easy as far as JRPGs go, but it still had the right amount of challenge to be "hard" as a kids first RPG. Actually, I think the difficulty in the OG is just right.

I wasn't a kid when I played it, I was a kid when I first played it. The last time was 6 months ago. The new version is easier than the SNES game, even though they added difficulty options. Forget a hard mode, they don't even have "SNES easy".

I'm laser targeting on this flaw because it sticks out on an otherwise practically perfect remake.

I think what makes this flaw stick out worse is the fact that everything else about it is super faithful but not the difficulty. Why do this then, considering the original was already easy?

BlackTron

I think what makes this flaw stick out worse is the fact that everything else about it is super faithful but not the difficulty. Why do this then, considering the original was already easy?

Seriously, they already added a difficulty option, just add an extra setting! JFC Nintendo.

Anyway I haven't played it in a few days, I think I need to level up before the final battle (Culex rematch). Party is at 22-24. Tried to plow as much as I could with as little leveling as possible to test those bosses. I did need one level before surviving the cake battle which I lost a dozen times...I came back one level higher and it came down to Mario surviving a barrage of attacks with 3HP to win.

Holy shit Booster was hard. I have to admit he was the only boss in the whole game where I resorted to items. I don't think it's possible though without being higher level. If you want to win at low 20s like me pack ice bombs.

Top Bottom