• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Ended up enjoying big boo’s haunt in the end after being unsure about it initially. I walk away with 6 stars (25 in total so far) and head for the next world tomorrow when I’m less tired.

Really glad I bought this collection, it’s given me the opportunity to really connect with a classic and honestly for all its roughness I like it. Even the camera makes sense eventually (even if the fixed camera in some parts of boo’s haunt where I have to get across a disappearing narrow beam walking diagonally with a joycon seem a bit rude).

I love this little bundle of wires.

Last edited by a moderator:

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Okay, I played a lot of Mario and I need a break.

So, I played Mario 64. Haven't played it in like... well, I guess 14-ish years, if you count the DS port. Anyway, it's... interesting. Like, the controls and camera are just bad. There's no way around it. It is an incredibly clumsy game to play, and it always has been. But it's still fun. I got 50 stars tonight, and I really didn't recall a whole lot of the specifics of where to find stuff... I just played a whole lot of it.

But yeah, ultimately, SM64 feels more like an experiment than anything at this point. A fun experiment, but not a masterpiece. Galaxy, on the other hand, is.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Okay, I played a lot of Mario and I need a break.

So, I played Mario 64. Haven't played it in like... well, I guess 14-ish years, if you count the DS port. Anyway, it's... interesting. Like, the controls and camera are just bad. There's no way around it. It is an incredibly clumsy game to play, and it always has been. But it's still fun. I got 50 stars tonight, and I really didn't recall a whole lot of the specifics of where to find stuff... I just played a whole lot of it.

But yeah, ultimately, SM64 feels more like an experiment than anything at this point. A fun experiment, but not a masterpiece. Galaxy, on the other hand, is.

Camera... maybe yeah, but gameplay is far from clumsy. It pioneered an entire genre.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Wrapping up on Sunshine, only Corona Mountain left. Every other stage is complete.

What a mess of a game. I was always lukewarm at best about Sunshine, and time hasn’t changed my mind one bit. It’s just completely broken at times (very few, to be honest, but still) and it’s frustrating most of the times for all the wrong reasons. Nintendo and quality of life were almost opposites in the GC era, it’s almost like they later announced that Quality of Life project to make up for it, haha. Zelda TWW had that slow-as-molasses sailing and clumsy inventory management, and Sunshine has unskippable cutscenes, a camera that very much likes to do its own thing, lots of redundancy, and just completely broken physics in some crucial instances.

There’s so much I blazingly hate in Sunshine, it ends up staining whatever good there is in the game. Sunshine’s lows are definitely more and more memorable than its highs for me. The challenge is all over the place - you have easy-as-pie races with Il Piantissimo that barely last a minute in later stages, and immediately after that the same stage will give you some tedious task or an infuriatingly frustrating one. It’s a mess. We all know the game is somewhat unfinished, and the filler stands out like a sore thumb. Sunshine feels like a checklist game to me, it’s all about checking boxes without getting much enjoyment from it.

The checklist feeling is all too obvious when it comes to those goddamn blue coins. In 2002 I made a FAQ in Italian for this game. It’s still there on GameFAQs. Replaying the game today, I downloaded that FAQ and used it as an actual checklist for the blue coins. There’s some I’d never have the energy to look out for these days, and they were never fun anyway.

I‘m probably never going to bother 100%ing Sunshine ever again after this run. There’s reasons why this game was neglected for so long while we had multiple reissues of 64 and Galaxy was a downloadable title on WiiU: those games are simply better. When all is said and done, I prefer 64’s clunkiness to Sunshine’s lack of polish. Mario 64 was arguably the best that could be done in 1996, while Sunshine is far from the best it could have been, and far from Nintendo’s usual standards for Mario. I hope the All Stars version knocked the nostalgia goggles off a lot of people’s faces for good

Manta Storm’s difficulty comes from the tedium of having to do it more than once if you fail. It’s moments like this that drag Sunshine from greatness into 3D Sonic territory.
YES! This is the best way to sum up Sunshine I’ve ever seen. Kudos to you for this, sir.

Emedan

Wrapping up on Sunshine, only Corona Mountain left. Every other stage is complete.

What a mess of a game. I was always lukewarm at best about Sunshine, and time hasn’t changed my mind one bit. It’s just completely broken at times (very few, to be honest, but still) and it’s frustrating most of the times for all the wrong reasons. Nintendo and quality of life were almost opposites in the GC era, it’s almost like they later announced that Quality of Life project to make up for it, haha. Zelda TWW had that slow-as-molasses sailing and clumsy inventory management, and Sunshine has unskippable cutscenes, a camera that very much likes to do its own thing, lots of redundancy, and just completely broken physics in some crucial instances.

There’s so much I blazingly hate in Sunshine, it ends up staining whatever good there is in the game. Sunshine’s lows are definitely more and more memorable than its highs for me. The challenge is all over the place - you have easy-as-pie races with Il Piantissimo that barely last a minute in later stages, and immediately after that the same stage will give you some tedious task or an infuriatingly frustrating one. It’s a mess. We all know the game is somewhat unfinished, and the filler stands out like a sore thumb. Sunshine feels like a checklist game to me, it’s all about checking boxes without getting much enjoyment from it.

The checklist feeling is all too obvious when it comes to those goddamn blue coins. In 2002 I made a FAQ in Italian for this game. It’s still there on GameFAQs. Replaying the game today, I downloaded that FAQ and used it as an actual checklist for the blue coins. There’s some I’d never have the energy to look out for these days, and they were never fun anyway.

I‘m probably never going to bother 100%ing Sunshine ever again after this run. There’s reasons why this game was neglected for so long while we had multiple reissues of 64 and Galaxy was a downloadable title on WiiU: those games are simply better. When all is said and done, I prefer 64’s clunkiness to Sunshine’s lack of polish. Mario 64 was arguably the best that could be done in 1996, while Sunshine is far from the best it could have been, and far from Nintendo’s usual standards for Mario. I hope the All Stars version knocked the nostalgia goggles off a lot of people’s faces for good

YES! This is the best way to sum up Sunshine I’ve ever seen. Kudos to you for this, sir.

Ey don't ruin my goggles!

I just started with Sunshine having not played it since 2002 and back then I never finished it I believe. I've just finished Bianco Hills (except 100 coins) and I enjoyed it quite a bit, the FLUDD-less levels was difficult for sure, we'll see how the game develops for me going forward. I never really understood the hate for Sunshine until I read your post, granted I was only 12 when the game came out and was just happy playing another 3D Mario game having spent so much time in 64.

Zimmy68

I haven't felt Sunshine Rage since the early days of the GameCube. It is all coming back to me why I hate this game.
The first non FLUD platform where you are jumping on moving blocks and cubes.
Mario will either take 3 steps forward when you land your jump, which sends him careening over the edge.
Or, he will not move when you press the jump button, and as I push forward to get momentum with my jump, he casually walks off the moving wood star.
This happened like 8 times.
I appreciate a challenge, this ain't it.
My expensive Pro Controller almost went across the room, and i have never done thrown one in my life.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hating Sunshine because it, especially the secret levels, kicked your ass is weak. Git gud.

Sunshine has problems, but not in terms of physics and basic play, where it towers above other games. The ‘ruleset’/movement is cleanly laid out for you to learn and master. Sunshine’s problems were always in lowlight areas like the Pachinko level, the Hotel area, unclear blue coins (I would honestly say, if it stops being fun, don’t bother), the story, etc.

The other 90% of the game is a great Mario/Nintendo game that doesn’t hit the highs of what came before and after, but is a lovely game that will put a smile on your face the entire time anyway.

It’s weird to be having the time of my life clearing out Bianco Hills and playing Noki Bay, only to see rhetoric that treats this game like Superman 64 or something.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
It's interesting to see how fast Mario scuttles around in 64 - it feels so fast compared to movement in most modern games. That definitely makes it harder with joycons and the tendency to have a few too many narrow beams and movements at odd diagonals.

Emedan

Seeing complaints about Mario’s controls here lol. I’m sorry but Mario controls flawlessly. If you suck at these games it is your fault.

Pyramid Puzzle in Shifting Sand Land is all kinds of BS due to the poor camera and platform placing.. No amount of proficiancy can save that one.

Shaqazooloo

It feels like I get a lot of lost inputs in Sunshine. I've lost count of how many times i've pressed the jump button before i get to the edge of a platform only to run off and fall to my death and have to try again..

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I actually like collecting the blue coins. For now. Lol. While it lacks an Odyssey like feature to point you towards what you’re missing (and this would have changed everything — quite a few of Odyssey’s Moons are essentially blue coins, but they’re a joy, thanks to that feature), these worlds are so well designed that I want to spend more time in them and fully explore them. That’s exactly what blue coins enable.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
I actually like collecting the blue coins. For now. Lol. While it lacks an Odyssey like feature to point you towards what you’re missing (and this would have changed everything — quite a few of Odyssey’s Moons are essentially blue coins, but they’re a joy, thanks to that feature), these worlds are so well designed that I want to spend more time in them and fully explore them. That’s exactly what blue coins enable.

Nintendo are good at that. Going back to Mario 64 - the levels so far haven't been huge, they're small fairly self-contained areas (eg a haunted house) but there is so much going on in them and the different stars and the tendency for things to change after the first star mean that you get pushed into trying out different things, discovering new areas and so on. It's really quite a simple idea in some ways but it gets so much value out of smaller spaces where a simple "get to the end and collect the coins" wouldn't achieve that.

Yeah, blue coins have started to get a little frustrating for me near the end. I have thought of a few minor changes they could have done to improve the collection without changing any of the games fundamentally. "Shadows" of previously collected blue coins would have helped me out a lot. And improved draw distance for red coins in mario 64. Neither of these would require drastically changing the game.

Just got done with cleaning an eel’s teeth and the Sand Bird. That was absolutely fantastic and made the morning.

I loved both of those parts so much! That spooky underwater abyss where the eel and red coin fish reside is awesome

#Phonepunk#

Banned
i've been balancing 64 with Galaxy, getting tons of stars in both. my Sunshine only has 4 stars, i'm saving that game for last.

really love playing them all and how different Mario feels in each episode. Galaxy is good but a little simplified. the dive in Sunshine is so nice but i still think i prefer 64 controls.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Has anyone else noticed that the swimming sound effect is glitchy in SM64? At least I think so. I only hear it randomly, whereas in the original I'm pretty sure (?) you hear it every stroke.

ResurrectedContrarian

Suffers with mild autism
I still consider Galaxy (1) the pinnacle of 3D Mario design. It includes the open-ended stages where you can breathe and explore more freely, but alternates those with other styles of design and mission very well. Plus I simply love the Rosalina story structure.

wvnative

Well until I find a way to play galaxy, I'm just playing 64 for now. Maybe i'm just used to older games, but I don't find controls or camera to be that bad. That snow level can go straight to hell though. Some stuff feels weird though like I swear Mario's threshold for movement is a lot more sensitive, and it seems harder to talk to NPCs than I recall. I've never beaten this game before, hopefully I can now change that.

Not sure if I will attempt Sunshine, it has its fans but I just never really liked it. What say you GAF? Should I give Sunshine a legit shot?

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Just got done with cleaning an eel’s teeth and the Sand Bird. That was absolutely fantastic and made the morning.
You’ve got to be kidding me, lol. They’re both the most glaring examples of what’s wrong with Sunshine, the first for camera issues and the second for collision issues with Mario falling off the bird’s tail for no reason whatsoever. That bird is second only to the pachinko for completely random interactions between Mario and the stuff around him.

There’s not a lot of “gitting gud” that can make you safe there - even speedrunners messing up in the bird section isn’t unusual. A clearly laid out moveset can only get you so far if the game is riddled with collision issues. And as I mentioned previously, the Switch’s analogue sticks absolutely not being on par with the GC’s only adds to the problem. I had to switch from the Joycons to the Pro Controller in the poison stream stage because even the slight drift on my left Joycon was enough to make me fall off the leaf when I just wanted to take a step sideways. And even the Pro gave me some extra unwanted steps here and there.

-Arcadia-

Banned
You’ve got to be kidding me, lol. They’re both the most glaring examples of what’s wrong with Sunshine, the first for camera issues and the second for collision issues with Mario falling off the bird’s tail for no reason whatsoever. That bird is second only to the pachinko for completely random interactions between Mario and the stuff around him.

There’s not a lot of “gitting gud” that can make you safe there - even speedrunners messing up in the bird section isn’t unusual. A clearly laid out moveset can only get you so far if the game is riddled with collision issues. And as I mentioned previously, the Switch’s analogue sticks absolutely not being on par with the GC’s only adds to the problem. I had to switch from the Joycons to the Pro Controller in the poison stream stage because even the slight drift on my left Joycon was enough to make me fall off the leaf when I just wanted to take a step sideways. And even the Pro gave me some extra unwanted steps here and there.

Idk bro, maybe you’re just too fussy. Like the other poster was saying for someone else, maybe it’s you and not the game. Or you need to get that Joy-Con replaced — playing with broken controllers isn’t going to help you.

I’ve played 29 out of 30 stars on the Joy-Cons and never once had a problem, feeling like I was right at home. I played the jet-pack eel level and had a fantastic time the entire fight, with no camera issues. The bird, I noticed that when you jump, the game simulated wind rush, and pushes you back, so I adjusted, and beat that in a handful of tries, glee all the while.

(Shrug)

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I will say that some of these shines, from wind rush, to the control of the jet-pack, present a challenge. But it’s a natural challenge. It’s like, adapt to this situation and master this. To that end, you’re even given a practice level in a bottle for the jet-pack.

Something like the Pachinko level, which is just awful, is awful because the challenge comes from how broken and nonsensical it is.

While we can say that mechanics in general in Sunshine, outside of the core gameplay, are sometimes not as good as other Mario games (that wind rush, for example, feels a hair off natural), there’s nothing to say they aren’t still incredibly fun, perfectly workable, and can’t still be mastered and easily conquered.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Galaxy looks amazing but on revisit I’m finding it has a lot of problems, some maddening camera restrictions, some rather weak levels (the water level is just yuck). 64 I feel is better than it in every aspect except fidelity. Camera positioning is natural. Level design is simple and uncluttered. Some parts of Galaxy feels like it wants to be Odyssey but with a camera even more restrictive than 64. I want to be able to spin that camera around but nope.

Hazy maze cave I LOVE this level. The low poly look, please don’t touch it, this kind of beautiful minimalism is so evocative and strange. I like the abstraction of these early 3D titles. Like when you are taking the elevator and the whole screen is black outside of some specific elements, it’s like some trippy cartoon, Yellow Submarine or something. Your mind is filling in all kinds of fantastical stuff with these polygons. Throwing an HD texture and fractal generated normal maps on the cave walls Im not so sure would give the same effect.

Last edited:
Galaxy looks amazing but on revisit I’m finding it has a lot of problems, some maddening camera restrictions, some rather weak levels (the water level is just yuck). 64 I feel is better than it in every aspect except fidelity. Camera positioning is natural. Level design is simple and uncluttered. Some parts of Galaxy feels like it wants to be Odyssey but with a camera even more restrictive than 64. I want to be able to spin that camera around but nope.

Hazy maze cave I LOVE this level. The low poly look, please don’t touch it, this kind of beautiful minimalism is so evocative and strange. I like the abstraction of these early 3D titles. Like when you are taking the elevator and the whole screen is black outside of some specific elements, it’s like some trippy cartoon, Yellow Submarine or something. Your mind is filling in all kinds of fantastical stuff with these polygons. Throwing an HD texture and fractal generated normal maps on the cave walls Im not so sure would give the same effect.
It's been a while since I played 64. One thing that surprised me is the level design still holds up. The movement is still just so good. The side flip in Galaxy is so neutered it barely even goes high enough to be useful.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Well until I find a way to play galaxy, I'm just playing 64 for now. Maybe i'm just used to older games, but I don't find controls or camera to be that bad. That snow level can go straight to hell though. Some stuff feels weird though like I swear Mario's threshold for movement is a lot more sensitive, and it seems harder to talk to NPCs than I recall. I've never beaten this game before, hopefully I can now change that.

Not sure if I will attempt Sunshine, it has its fans but I just never really liked it. What say you GAF? Should I give Sunshine a legit shot?

There’s a lot of Sunshine talk in the thread, both pros and cons, and it’s pretty in-depth. I totally recommend that for getting a sense of the game.

I really, really recommend it yes, because you already have it, and because it’s an awesome game, even if it isn’t on the transcendent level of the other Mario games.

me0wish

Sunshine is my favorite gameplay wise, and has the highest highs, sadly, it also has the lowest lows and is very mind numbingly repetitive and frustrating at times.

It is the only Mario I never finished, and will never 100%.

-Arcadia-

Banned

We actually had a small conversation about this in Meta Gaf.

There’s something really cool/creepy about early 3D.

I still consider Galaxy (1) the pinnacle of 3D Mario design. It includes the open-ended stages where you can breathe and explore more freely, but alternates those with other styles of design and mission very well. Plus I simply love the Rosalina story structure.

Galaxy absolutely nails everything. Pretty much other game I've played always have a dip in player engagement, like there's always this point in the middle where I think geez how far away from the end am I. Galaxy doesn't do that. It's all awesome with basically no filler.

Andyliini

Hunting blue coins with a guide makes it better, almost fun. And finally I was able to beat the mission which made me quit last time: Yoshi's Fruit Adventure. Everything about that mission is terrible.

First you have to unlock Yoshi in Delfino Plaza, then Yoshi appears in the stage. Before you can use him, you have to bring him the fruit he wants. In Ricco Harbour, it's always a durian. There is a machine which randomly pops out fruits, so you'll have to keep pumping it for a while for durian to appear. Now, durian is the only kind of fruit which you can't carry, meaning you have to kick it to Yoshi. That's fair, but since there is a cliff just next to fruits spawning point, it could fall. Since you can't carry it, there is no way to return it up, so you have to wait for another durian, which could take a while.

OK, so we finally got Yoshi. The Shine is across a bay, on a high platform. You have to shoot water on leaping fish in order to turn them to platforms to cross the bay. Then you have to spot a green fruit in a green palm tree, and eat it in order to make more platforms. This would be easier to do if Yoshi wasn't such a nightmare to control. You see, every time you fail, you have swim across the bay back to where Yoshi is, and feed him another durian in order to use him. And it's extremely easy to fall. It took me well over an hour to do it.

But at least I finally did it. The pachinko and sandbird missions are cakewalk compared to this mission. Rant over.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Hunting blue coins with a guide makes it better, almost fun. And finally I was able to beat the mission which made me quit last time: Yoshi's Fruit Adventure. Everything about that mission is terrible.

First you have to unlock Yoshi in Delfino Plaza, then Yoshi appears in the stage. Before you can use him, you have to bring him the fruit he wants. In Ricco Harbour, it's always a durian. There is a machine which randomly pops out fruits, so you'll have to keep pumping it for a while for durian to appear. Now, durian is the only kind of fruit which you can't carry, meaning you have to kick it to Yoshi. That's fair, but since there is a cliff just next to fruits spawning point, it could fall. Since you can't carry it, there is no way to return it up, so you have to wait for another durian, which could take a while.

OK, so we finally got Yoshi. The Shine is across a bay, on a high platform. You have to shoot water on leaping fish in order to turn them to platforms to cross the bay. Then you have to spot a green fruit in a green palm tree, and eat it in order to make more platforms. This would be easier to do if Yoshi wasn't such a nightmare to control. You see, every time you fail, you have swim across the bay back to where Yoshi is, and feed him another durian in order to use him. And it's extremely easy to fall. It took me well over an hour to do it.

But at least I finally did it. The pachinko and sandbird missions are cakewalk compared to this mission. Rant over.

Empathy. Lol. I think I vaguely remember this, but it’s also half-PTSD blocked out.

I'm currently at 97 or 98 stars in 64.
I'm trying to get everything in the order the game shows them, but I'm kinda stuck on Tiny-Huge Island for the rematch against Koopa the Quick. I understand you need to get a huge head start, with how the wind slows you to a crawl when you reach the bridge, I just can't seem to do it.

Intoxicate

98 Stars in Mario 64, and I make far better progress than my younger self back with the N64. It’s great on Switch and so nice to just suspend it and go back within seconds.
I’m surprised the battery is drained quite substantial with such an old game.

Looking forward to Sunshine which I never managed to play through.

You know what I actually found this easy. It did take a few tries. Pachinko took like 10 tries and sandbird took 2. But I had a nightmare doing this part:

0.jpg

Everytime I sprayed a square I wanted I also sprayed a square I didn't want. I was ready to throw my controller when I finally got it after 15 minutes. Was it just me? Is it something to do with not having the gamecube controller's pressure triggers?

Danny Dudekisser

I finished Mario 64! Weird to think that I plowed through that game in less than a day when I spent a toonnnnnn of time on it as a kid. Anyway. It's alright. I forgot how annoying the later stages are. Also, the controls and camera definitely do suck horse dick. Not sure I wanna go for 120 stars, because I'd muuuuuccccchhhhh rather move on to Galaxy. We'll see.

But assuming I do move to Galaxy.... what's the right way to play this: joy cons or pro controller?

Thurible

Beat Sunshine and am getting close to 100% completion with 101 shine sprites. I enjoy the game but I now can see why it is often seen as a sort of black sheep within the series. It can be incredibly challenging, sometimes as a result of strange design choices. Mario feels a bit slippery, and there are quite a few areas that require precision platforming which can result in a fair amount of do-overs. There are still some areas that I am not sure how I can get an objective done because the way mario jumps and moves cannot reach the desired goal, making it seem practically impossible. When throwing or grabbing, the game sometimes doesn't register the action leading to repeated attempts (ex. Giant blooper tentacles won't be grabbed and fruit being tossed at odd angles) It can oft feel unfair after repeating a challenge over and over but failing due to the game not cooperating. Sometimes the outcome can be random, for example there is a stage that requires being tossed by piantas that neccessitates trial and error as you have to speak to them in specific locations, angles, and at the right time. Once you are tossed, there is no changing your trajectory, and you will fall into the void if you make a slight error. Then there is the infamous pachinko stage and the poison lily pad stage. The pachinko machine can be managed if one hovers right after hitting a peg, but the game doesn't allow much maneuverability in this state, especially with the top left coin as it automatically shoots you up to the right, and attempting to float back left only leads to hovering in a still state. A good portion is left up to chance and incredible timing. With the lily game, you only have one attempt to obtain all the red coins as you are being moved one way through the course, there is no way to go back and correct a mistake.

The blue coin challenge is also bordering on the excessive, with 240 coins scattered throughout the courses and no real indication of where they are (there is fortunately a number tracker on the map of how many were found in a given area, so you can compare with what you have and how much there is supposed to be).

I have some qualms with the game, but I find it creative with many varied challenges. It is a beautiful game, but I personally believe it could have been handled a bit better. I wish it could have gotten a remake or a sequel to expound on some of the ideas there which have never been in a mario game since and improve upon it. As it stands so far, I like it but it is one of my least favorite 3d mario games out of the five. That said, it's good and certainly worth a shot.

Shaqazooloo

That was usually the Shine I would never get on that stage. This time around it didnt seem so bad other than getting the fruit to Yoshi. The platforming bit was easy.

Danny Dudekisser

Oh my Gawwwwwd u guys. I started Galaxy. This was what I wanted. I cannot fucking believe how good this game looks. I know they redid some of the textures, but did any of the originals actually have this much detail? I mean, it looks good. And for whatever reason - maybe it's the HD, maybe it's the 65" screen, but the sense of scale as you're running around these planets just feels kind of surreal. Audio quality is absolutely stellar - the game never sounded this good coming out of the Wii. I'm completely impressed with the technical presentation.

The gameplay is... I mean, fuck's sake, it's as good as it gets. It's weird that, despite that I kinda did the bare minimum and moved on quickly from the game the first time around, I just find myself more and more into this game each time I play it. Playing with the joycons feels really good, and there's something kinda nice about being able to sprawl out on the couch and play instead of having to grip a normal controller. And it has none of the clumsiness of 64 - it just does what you want it to.

Now it's not a joke - Galaxy 2 better be DLC.

Last edited:
Top Bottom