• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario Sunshine: Mario 3D All-Stars Graphics Comparison (Switch vs. GameCube)

-Arcadia-

Banned
I have some questions about the comparison. I don’t remember the GameCube version being blurry like that, and I question the footage. Yes, it was SD, but that seems like a misrepresentation. Maybe what Sunshine looks like on a modern TV, but certainly not on a CRT back in the day.

That said, I think HD really did SMS some favors. At first, I thought there was some work that had been done, but I think it’s genuinely just that the texture work and skew towards realism of the original game, come across a lot better in HD.

Bakkus

My thought exactly. I played Sunshine to death on GC and it was in no way blurry as shown in this clip.
Yup, it's crazy how few people know how easy it is to make all your older consoles have almost as good picture quality as you could find on Arcade machines. Even among fairly hardcore gamers. Just pick up a Trinitron 4:3 CRT between 25-30 inches or another similar TV with a flat screen (I use the term 'flat' here in the sense that the screen itself is not curved like it is on most CRTs, but that it is flat). Throw away those shitty composite cables that came with it, buy new RGB SCART cables for them on the internet, and, voila! There are a few consoles where you have to mod to get that picture like N64 (NTSC only, no option for PAL), all NES consoles, SNES (Mini only. All other versions have it already), but most SD consoles already have it included.

Speaking of Gamexplain and that British dude. I've noticed he also play older games in their 50hz versions. Don't he know?...

SpiceRacz

I have some questions about the comparison. I don’t remember the GameCube version being blurry like that, and I question the footage. Yes, it was SD, but that seems like a misrepresentation. Maybe what Sunshine looks like on a modern TV, but certainly not on a CRT back in the day.

That said, I think HD really did SMS some favors. At first, I thought there was some work that had been done, but I think it’s genuinely just that the texture work and skew towards realism of the original game, come across a lot better in HD.

I think that's everyone's memory of Gamecube games - Looking much better than they actually did. Sunshine has always been blurry.

It's crazy modders do this stuff for free. Nintendo could hire people who would work for minimum wage and would put more effort into these than Nintendo themselves.
It's like they didn't even try... oh yeah, because it's an anniversary collection, and emulators are illegal...

Neo_Geo

Banned
No. That specifically looks like what happens when you put classic SD game content on a modern TV, and leave it to the mercy of upscalers. SD is a major step back, but it wasn’t a complete vaseline fest.

I played Super Mario Sunshine via component cables on an upper mid range CRT HDTV (Toshiba 32HF73) and Super Mario Sunshine, especially anything more than a few yards from the character, was indeed a Vaseline-fest even back then. The comparison is accurate.

DeceptiveAlarm

Gold Member
I think that's everyone's memory of Gamecube games - Looking much better than they actually did. Sunshine has always been blurry.
Yeah for real. I broke out an old TV and tried playing this about 3 years ago on my wii with the good cables and this is just how it looked. I can't go back to blurry games it gives me a headache.

jaysius

Banned
People on reddit are doing mental gymnastics to figure out how the game will work without analog triggers.

Still one of the most moronic omissions on the Switch controllers.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Zzzzzz, these are misleading since GC version is recorded using compsite cables on a most likely less than stellar CRT.
Correct.

LOL at bitching about a comparison presenting a GCN game as it actually looked when it first released. Rose tinted glasses, guys.
Not correct.

6th gen games through RGB cables were stupidly sharp compared to 5th gen. Sunshine never looked that blurry, period. And even SM64 is grossly misrepresented in that channel’s comparison video - N64 was blurry, but not in the way they show. These comparisons are busted.

jigglet

Banned
Correct.

Not correct.

6th gen games through RGB cables were stupidly sharp compared to 5th gen. Sunshine never looked that blurry, period. And even SM64 is grossly misrepresented in that channel’s comparison video - N64 was blurry, but not in the way they show. These comparisons are busted.

Exactly. I don't want to defend the N64, it's a blurry mess of a console. But I don't want to defend these lazy ports either.

Neo_Geo

Banned
Correct.

Not correct.

Your definition of stupidly sharp is quite hilarious. Sharpening the AA filter the game uses turns the blur to soft pixelation. A lot of people in this thread would do well to actually see for themselves what they are grossly misremembering.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Exactly. I don't want to defend the N64, it's a blurry mess of a console. But I don't want to defend these lazy ports either.
These ports are minimum effort, yeah, but still an improvement (provided the controls weren't botched in any way). People who never played them are in for a treat. But misrepresenting the improvement by showing the originals in such a bad light isn't nice.

Neo_Geo

Banned
These ports are minimum effort, yeah, but still an improvement (provided the controls weren't botched in any way). People who never played them are in for a treat. But misrepresenting the improvement by showing the originals in such a bad light isn't nice.

Showing a comparison that correctly identifies the marked improvement in IQ over the original GCN game is NOT nice!

Didn't Sunshine have a really weird camera control, like the direction was inverted or something? And you had to use the L/R triggers? I wonder if they've fixed this for Switch!

I care more about the Controls over the graphics.

Always loved the Artstyle for the game but my god the physics pissed me off originally and I believe the Projection of Qater is based on how much you pushed the Trigger itself.

I wonder how they will adapt that part of the game?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
People on reddit are doing mental gymnastics to figure out how the game will work without analog triggers.

Still one of the most moronic omissions on the Switch controllers.
this isn't a problem because the Switch has more buttons than a Gamecube controller.

just have a button you hold down to toggle "aim and spray". how about L2?

problem solved.

Honestly those HD HUD assets look ugly.
Also, super high resolution (especially with low resolution textures) but low-poly count just looks disgusting to me. I dunno, everything about this video just looks really bad to me compared to how it looks on original hardware. There added clarity and sharpness of the polygons just stick out like a sore thumb, I don't know how to explain it.

No need for any comparison video to know that the original game on GC on a CRT through SCART/RGB will be much better.

Well since a GC running through SCART/RGB on a CRT is such an easy setup then yeah wtf was Nintendo thinking porting this game over lol.

Ryllix_

I prefer the original GC version. It seems weird to even bother making any changes if they are going to be so minor that they barely change anything.

Can confirm that Gamecube with an RGB cable (not rare in Europe by the way) did not look that blurry back in the day, or now. I played this game not too long ago with original GC + RGB cable + Framemeister upscaler into a modern TV and it looked much better than this abomination that was showed in the video.

That's was norm here in France. So it is extremely easy to have this setup. Otherwise make it S Video that's it.

Point is, that's a ridiculously hard setup for the common guy. The problem here really is the price, the idea of porting over Gamecube games is amazing. Console manufacturers (except for MAYBE Microsoft) have no respect for their own catalog, it's bizarre.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
CRT = free (just ask around, you will find one)
Used Gamecube = 40$
S-Video cable = 10$
Mario Sunshine itself still goes for around $40. i know cos i bought it last year.

so even if you get a free TV that's still $90.

i'll take the $60 trilogy compilation.

Last edited:

cireza

Mario Sunshine itself still goes for around $40. i know cos i bought it last year.

so even if you get a free TV that's still $90.

i'll take the $60 trilogy compilation.
Which means you bought a 300$ Switch. You could actually have bought a 100$ used Wii U, and played your 40$ game using Nintendon't. That's 140$ in the end, and you get most of the Switch catalog for a third of the price. All these games are available/playable on Wii U.

Last edited:
I barely played Sunshine on my GC, and never even played Galaxy at all, so I couldn't give a rat's backside about how those ports look compared to the originals.
I also got them for 42€, free delivery, so all of you complaining about "60$ ports" make me laugh.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Which means you bought a 300$ Switch. You could actually have bought a 100$ used Wii U, and played your 40$ game using Nintendon't. That's 140$ in the end, and you get most of the Switch catalog for a third of the price. All these games are available/playable on Wii U.
they are not all playable on a Wii U without hacking. if you are going to go with hacking and emulation then i might as well just play them all on my computer. which i did. years ago.

feel like everyone is in an arms race to blow our minds that you can play these decades old games on old hardware. like no shit it works on a hacked old Wii U. ok, cool, i already knew that, and i want to play it on the new hardware.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I ran SMS at 16:9, HD, etc. on Dolphin. That game is actually one of the dodgier ones to get working well, I’d rather just spend money and play this then do that, TBH.

Yup, it's crazy how few people know how easy it is to make all your older consoles have almost as good picture quality as you could find on Arcade machines. Even among fairly hardcore gamers. Just pick up a Trinitron 4:3 CRT between 25-30 inches or another similar TV with a flat screen (I use the term 'flat' here in the sense that the screen itself is not curved like it is on most CRTs, but that it is flat). Throw away those shitty composite cables that came with it, buy new RGB SCART cables for them on the internet, and, voila! There are a few consoles where you have to mod to get that picture like N64 (NTSC only, no option for PAL), all NES consoles, SNES (Mini only. All other versions have it already), but most SD consoles already have it included.

Speaking of Gamexplain and that British dude. I've noticed he also play older games in their 50hz versions. Don't he know?...

So I “just” have to find a 75+ lb CRT with a SCART input (not exactly common in the US) in good condition, bring it into my house, hope my back still works afterwards, source and buy some custom cables, mod if necessary, and then of course source all the games. That’s it?

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I ran SMS at 16:9, HD, etc. on Dolphin. That game is actually one of the dodgier ones to get working well, I’d rather just spend money and play this then do that, TBH.

So I “just” have to find a 75+ lb CRT with a SCART input (not exactly common in the US) in good condition, bring it into my house, hope my back still works afterwards, source and buy some custom cables, mod if necessary, and then of course source all the games. That’s it?

30+” Trinitrons can be over 150 lbs. I’ve moved a few in my day

Last edited:
Top Bottom