• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

LTTP: Super Mario Odyssey

After I finished up with Super Mario Bros. Wonder, it occurred to me that I've had a copy of Super Mario Odyssey for 6 years now which I bought alongside my 2017 launch year Switch and for some godforsaken reason I never played it. So I had to solve that issue ASAP, plus I wanted more Mario after Wonder. I'm gonna be on a Mario bender all month because I'll be playing Super Mario RPG in a week too.

Super Mario Odyssey was almost a launch title, releasing about 6 months after the Switch. And let me just get this out of the way now, it really looks like a launch title. I respect Nintendo's decision to make this game run at 60 fps and to their credit, it always locks 60 fps with no drops anywhere. That said, this game has not aged well technically. When docked, it runs with dynamic resolution scaling from 900p all the way down to 720p with no anti-aliasing. I did not play it handheld but I'm told it runs with scan-line interleaving so the Switch only needs to render 640x720 every frame. Resolution is painfully coarse, jagged lines are everywhere with no AA, and there is only flat lighting on environments. I'm also not super happy with the some of the artistic decisions made in this game, the choice to use environments based on the real world tends to make the visual look of the game sometimes worse in some of the worlds.

Alright, enough with the technical shit. Let's talk about playing Odyssey. For those who don't really follow the 3D Mario games, Super Mario 64 and Sunshine have sandbox type worlds which you explore on your own to reach the goal. Galaxy and 3D World are more linear, where you start at point A and traverse the world as a straight line to reach the goal. In that regard, Galaxy and 3D World are kind of like 3D versions of classic side-scrolling 2D Mario. Odyssey returns to the free roaming exploration of 64 and Sunshine, except thankfully no FLUDD. It is in every way the true sequel to the vaunted 64, complete with sometimes unworkable camera angles and inability to see Mario's position in space when you're trying to do some tricky platforming. That said, Odyssey brings back that spirit of creativity and freedom to problem solve that so exemplified playing 64. Playing Odyssey was like going back to my childhood memories of 64 in much the same way playing Wonder was with Super Mario World, that same joy and imagination and occasional frustration when Mario missed a jump because I couldn't see his shadow under him which was the only way to tell where he would land. Just like Wonder, Odyssey has that pure inexpressible fun that is so noticeably absent from a lot of modern video games.

As per usual with 3D Mario games, you collect items called Power Moons. Once you have enough of them, you can hop aboard your airship also named the Odyssey and progress on to the next world. Each of the worlds is unique, imaginative, and creative, even as some of them are a little bit strange to run Mario through. You visit a perfectly normal looking human city with normally proportioned human NPC's walking around with Mario who of course has his Mario proportions and I'm reminded of why the Sonic games which have human cities and humans alongside Sonic also look weird. The game's worlds seem to improve in both visual quality and artistic direction as it goes on, the first couple of worlds look really rough but the last few worlds look really good by comparison. Clearly, Odyssey evolved quite a bit during its development just going by how much more visually pleasing the last few worlds look compared to the first few worlds.

Just as with Wonder, you constantly find yourself surprised by the sheer imagination by which new methods are given to you to explore and reach goals. The primary mechanic in Odyssey is using Cappy the sentient hat to possess and control enemies. Finally, you can experience what it's like to be a Goomba, or a Koopa Paratroopa, or most of the other classic enemies on the Mario list of villains. The football players from Super Mario World even make an appearance and you can bet it's amazing when you play as those guys. At the very end, you even get to possess and control the Big Cheese himself and it's a fucking riot to run around smashing through walls and breaking shit as Bowser. They absolutely nailed the creativity of controlling enemies and using them to navigate and explore the worlds. Just as the Wonder Flowers elevated Wonder to a new level of 2D platforming gameplay, the Cappy possession mechanic elevates Odyssey to a new level of 3D platforming gameplay and clearly differentiates and innovates beyond 64.

Part of me wishes I had played this back in 2017, but the other part of me knows that in 2023 I have a Switch Pro controller and that really made my experience of playing this game much better over what I would have had to deal with playing this game with the Joy-Cons. The motion controls are already slightly annoying with the Pro controller, I can't imagine putting up with using Joy-Cons to play this game. That's what turned me off Galaxy back in the day too. But Odyssey overcomes it's technical limitations, it's occasionally annoying camera, the slightly obtrusive and unnecessary motion controls, and becomes a masterpiece because of the sheer amount of fun that you will have exploring it's many worlds and discovering what wild shit you can do as a Bullet Bill or a Podoboo. I can now say I played two GOTY Mario games in 1 year.

-Zelda-

Banned
I love Mario, but this one I had to put down once I got to the jungle level. I don't know what it is about 3d mario games that make me so panicky, frustrated, and dumb.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
That said, this game has not aged well technically.
It runs and looks fine. At least, playing it on my Switch Lite. I didn't really care about resolution drops or whatever, it looked good most of the way through and the sacrifice was worth it for the framerate which helps the game. The animations in it are beyond any Mario game years past and the environments are some of the most creative we'd seen in years. I love the realistic look they went for here personally, it gave the game a unique look and made it stand out over a lot or the more cartoony Mario games of years past.

Anyways, it was fun for what I played of it. I don't feel any desire to go back to it though despite how much the game did right.

Last edited:

Tangerine

Ha, I just 100%ed Wonder and started mario 64 (to be followed by sunshine then galaxy)

I played Odessy when it released. Great game and I see the parallels you drew. I had a smile on my face at lots of points in Wonder. The variety the wonder seeds bring in gameplay are similar to the variety of enemies you can possess with cappy in Odessy. In terms of creativity, variety and smile on face factor!

Nice review btw.

Kenpachii

Game gave me dejavu towards the n64 game.

However execution was kinda meh, worlds felt more and more boring the further u got. And the reuse of bosses was kinda meh.

sigmaZ

Felt mostly like a theme park game. Overall I enjoyed it but I don't like how they handled the collectables. I prefer the Mario 64 approach where the stages change as you engage with different challenges.

SCB3

I do love Odessey a lot but for me it was really overrated for some reason, its not the best 3D Mario and its about 4th imo (3D World, Galaxy and 64 are much more fun)

However its not a bad game and a fantastic entry point for newcomers and kids, its pure joy to play, I always refer to Joseph Andersons video about it and generally I agree with it mostly:

BryceNobody

instead of grasping at straws because you think a game’s Metascore is too high.
Nintendo really has some of the best problems a company can have

“Ugh, HOW many games need to be GOTYs with a 90+ metascore?”

“Ugh, HOW are they going to trailblaze the industry with their next console?”

Must be rough.

Last edited:
One of the most overrated games ever, imo

Galaxy 1/2 are much, much better than this

Too many pointless moons and no challenge at all made for a very, very boring game, imo. It's a terrible platformer.

Wonder is also much better

Bro Wonder has 0 challenge too.

Very disappointed in this game. Could've been best 2d Mario ever and it feels like it's made for children.

Sounds like you haven't got to the city level yet! Chug-chug-chug...
I noticed no framerate issues in New Donk City and I ran around that place for at least an hour.

Game gave me dejavu towards the n64 game.

However execution was kinda meh, worlds felt more and more boring the further u got. And the reuse of bosses was kinda meh.
I actually also disliked the Broodals and thought they were a poor substitute for Bowser. Wonder had the same problem, with Bowser Jr. appearing too much and Bowser basically not at all until the very end. The best Bowser substitutes ever made were the Koopalings back in Super Mario Bros. 3 and sadly they have been retconned out and replaced with Bowser Jr. who is just a cardboard box by comparison.

Nintendo, the people have spoken and they want Bowser! More Bowser! Bowser at the end of every world like in the old days! Bowser 24/7! PEACHES PEACHES, PEACHES PEACHES PEACHES etc.

Yeah but what can
Lee Daniels Television GIF

Svejk

It was a good 3D Mario, but overly inflated by the ridiculous Switch hype when it launched. The bosses are the worst, most uninspiring battles when compared to the Galaxy's.

I think a 3D Mario would have benefitted more to the BOTW/TOTK formula of building contraptions to take on goombas and such, than Zelda. You're doing it wrong Nintendo. Lol
At least there's Wonder and Maker 2.

Rescue Mission is among my favorite games from last gen, but Odyssey is considerably better. Astro's Playroom is a 3 hour demo. It's not in the conversation.

We’re all entitled to our own opinions. Odyssey is not a top tier platformer in my view. Had more fun with a 3 hour demo than all of Odyssey which was a huge letdown for me especially since 64 is legendary.

Robb

Gold Member
Absolutely love Odyssey, kind of want to replay it just reading your post.

Surprised to see people have so much against it in here tbh. Although I do agree there are a lot of easy moons. But all of the new abilities/transformations, open ended level design, slick movement options etc. etc. more than makes up for it. Not to mention the blend of classic 8-bit 2D and 3D, it’s just perfect.

Can’t believe we haven’t gotten DLC or a straight up sequel. The transformation mechanic is way too good to just ditch after one game.

Last edited:

Tangerine

I do love Odessey a lot but for me it was really overrated for some reason, its not the best 3D Mario and its about 4th imo (3D World, Galaxy and 64 are much more fun)

However its not a bad game and a fantastic entry point for newcomers and kids, its pure joy to play, I always refer to Joseph Andersons video about it and generally I agree with it mostly:

Hmm... I just watched that 2 hour vid and now I agree with him about pretty much everything!

I guess I'm a basic bitch for not noticing!

I can't pretend I didn't have fun/enjoy oddesy in 2017. I definitely noticed a lot of copy paste with the moon's. I also thought it was a bit of a cop out having no overworld map or hub like mario 64.

I needed to watch all that vid to show me I just glossed over any issues in my head at the time. I was 30 when it came out.

Oh well.

Replaying through mario 64 at the same time is also reminding me of the differences too. So I'm not an oddesy hater but I 100% get now why some dislike it/rate it at the bottom of 3D mario lists.

Strange I missed that video assuming it came out soon after oddesy. Yeah I watched it yesterday too lazy to check!

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Hmm... I just watched that 2 hour vid and now I agree with him about pretty much everything!

I can't pretend I didn't have fun/enjoy oddesy in 2017. I definitely noticed a lot of copy paste with the moon's. I also thought it was a bit of a cop out having no overworld map or hub like mario 64.

I needed to watch all that vid to show me I just glossed over any issues in my head at the time. I was 30 when it came out.

Oh well.

Replaying through mario 64 at the same time is also reminding me of the differences too. So I'm not an oddesy hater but I 100% get now why some dislike it/rate it at the bottom of 3D mario lists.

Strange I missed that video assuming it came out soon after oddesy. Yeah I watched it yesterday too lazy to check!
I do not think you are basic and although some of the world stylistic choices puzzle me still it is one of those games that if I get any negative thoughts on playing would just send them away… I was not on the frothing at the mouth hype at launch kind of folks, but when I got it I could hardly put it down. The Cappy possession mechanic just adds a lot of variety to each level I did not expect and the core Mario gameplay is also very polished.

I do hope we get a sequel to Odyssey that adds a few more Mario moves too though. I have been spending time with Super Mario 64 (with the Nintendo 64 controller for Switch, what a difference it makes :D) so I can understand what you are going through) ;).

Still for me it is still up there in the Mount Olympus of platformers where they are so good that deciding which one is better than the other makes little difference really. Odyssey like a lot of modern games is designed to be more accessible sure and since some of its players are a bit ADHD affected (you compete with mobile gaming too) and/or play Switch as a handheld you need to be more pick up and play. So you need shorter effort - reward cycles. This is affecting Wonder too somewhat, lots of games nowadays that do not cater to adults are losing the concept of delayed gratification more and more as society is in general.

The one that sometimes gets off and back in the mountain top is Sunshine because of the single theme throughout the game limiting variety a bit too much.

Last edited:

SCB3

Oh well.

Nah you're not, JA is someone you should take opinions from but also form your own as well, he can miss the mark totally on some things (and take fucking 5 years to make a Witcher 3 video)

Like I said, Odyssey is a fine game, when it came out I 100% it pretty much non stop and loved it, it's not my fav Mario game by far but it doesn't mean its bad, case in point I'm about half way through Wonder now, its great but I've played better 2D Mario games

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
The best Bowser substitutes ever made were the Koopalings back in Super Mario Bros. 3 and sadly they have been retconned out and replaced with Bowser Jr. who is just a cardboard box by comparison.
The Koopalings were never more than “jump on my head 3 times” dummies.
BJ at least has new tricks up his sleeves in Wonder.

I wish the 2D Mario games had bosses like the Yoshi games. Multi-phase, different strats every time. It’s the one area where 2D Mario totally dropped the ball compared to 3D Mario. Imagine if every boss introduced a new power that you can then unlock for the rest of the game.

K2D

Banned
Pah! *old man grumble*

I haven't completed a single Super Mario 3D game yet..!

I am currently rectifying that with playing through SM Galaxy 2 right now.

SenkiDala

Read just the few first lines, and already complaining about "gneugneu 900p", you didn't understand the Switch, pointless review, pointless opinion.

Last edited:

Kabelly

The best controlling version of Mario ever imo. I think I can agree what you said about some of the graphics but that they get better late game. Like most Mario games for me the best levels are the end game levels. Cappy adds a new level of depth to Mario's moveset. I didn't appreciate the scattered moons and would have like them to be more skill required but again the late game stuff and 100% the game was still a great time. Plus all the costumes we have like cmon. It's just kind of dumb there is no new game plus for the costumes.

MagnesD3

its not bad, but its not good, it's a sandbox with some good "missions" but a LOT of "brain dead moons" just to stretch playtime i little longer.

my list for 3D Marios

1 - SMG2
2 - SM64
3 - SMG
4 - SMSS
5 - SMO
6 - SM3DW-BF
Definitely agree with the top 2.

My personal favorites list with scores id give them today.
1. Super Mario 64 (9.6)
2. Galaxy 2 (9.9)
3. Bowsers Fury (9.6)
4. Odyssey (9.8)
5. Sunshine (9.6)
6. 3D World (9.6)
7. Galaxy (9.7)
8. 3D Land (9.3)

Talking about Odyssey I think its potential is insane, it has objectively the best Mario movest but almost all of its ideas are only scratching the surface of thier mechanics and its collectable design needs a little work, this style would have improved dramatically with an Odyssey 2.

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I played a bit but it just didn't connect with me.

I don't think the game is bad by any means but I just wasn't having fun with it. As silly as it sounds, just way too much stuff to do and I didn't care for the hat mechanics.

The most recent Mario title that I really enjoyed is 3D World. I didn't even care for Galaxy 1&2. Those aren't bad either but hated the controls. I'm a lefty and using the nunchuck for movement just felt awful. Conversely, aiming with my right hand felt awful too.

Odyssey is pure genius and so much fun.

”But but too many moons!”
“But but the T-Rex!”

Who cares, bitches. Acknowledge brilliance when you see it for once, instead of grasping at straws because you think a game’s Metascore is too high.
What’s wrong with the T-Rex? And are there really people complaining that you can collect too many moons if you want to?

nemiroff

Gold Member
Me and my soon to be three year old son just finished this game tohether and we had a mostly good experience with it.

But I don't think I would've bothered finishing it by myself. It feels a bit shoddy design wise. It shuld've been much better than it is for a high profile Nintendo game. But it was enjoyable.

And yeah, technically it has some shortcomings..

amigastar

I liked it but i really hope a new 3D Mario game will be released with the Switch 2, now that would be awesome.

Top Bottom