• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All Stars Review Thread

iconmaster

Banned
Wait they didn't remap the star pointer to the right stick?

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

I don't think that would work terribly well. You'd be on the stick constantly, pushing a cursor all over the screen.

Eurogamer's review seems about on point from what I know. Two great games, and Mario Sunshine, wrapped up with very little fanfare or thought to presentation.

Last edited:

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Hi scores for minimal effort emulation. Brilliant reviewers...

wvnative

I don't think that would work terribly well. You'd be on the stick constantly, pushing a cursor all over the screen.

Eurogamer's review seems about on point from what I know. Two great games, and Mario Sunshine, wrapped up with very little fanfare or thought to presentation.

Supposedly worked well on the shield port...

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Damn it, ordered a copy... I really didn't want to, because of the minimal effort Nintendo has put in here (especially with SM64, which deserved so much more), but I just really want to play Sunshine and especially Galaxy again (with good image quality). I hope they add Galaxy 2 later to make it more worth it. But that's probably very unlikely.

magnumpy

My kids have played none of them. Your premise is flawed. I’m sure many people under 30 have missed at least some of the games in this collection.

umm my premise is that these are old games so they can immediately be dismissed without remorse. the fact that there exist old games who people younger than 30 have not played is nothing new or revolutionary. unless this is something special for you personally, or they are discounted beyond the point of being a laughable pathetic joke, well I guess in that case they would be worth roughly $1.00 and 5 minutes of an aging gamers time then sure, why not? might as well :(

wvnative

umm my premise is that these are old games so they can immediately be dismissed without remorse. the fact that there exist old games who people younger than 30 have not played is nothing new or revolutionary. unless this is something special for you personally, or they are discounted beyond the point of being a laughable pathetic joke, well I guess in that case they would be worth roughly $1.00 and 5 minutes of an aging gamers time then sure, why not? might as well :(

My premise is that your opinion is bad and can immediately be dismissed without remorse

magnumpy

What a sad mindset.

Do you take the same approach to books, movies, music..?

one mans sadness is another mans good time. an old game can be vintage enjoyable in a retro sense but why bother when there are new games to play? time is valuable and I can't play every video game that ever existed, just playing the latest and greatest games is more than enough for me.

carlosrox

Banned
God whoever buys this shit is an outright sucker. Go support those who make the actual effort like Spyro Reignited.

"Outright Sucker" for wanting to own one of the best games of all time on my Switch. Uh huh. And 64 and SMS are just very welcome bonuses in my eyes.

Don't support Nintendo, support the dorks in their basement doing emulation!

Support a game you might not care about owning!

I'll support whoever the fuck I want, but thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

StormCell

Guys I'm not interested in 64 or Sunshine, but is it worth getting this collection just for Galaxy?
I never played it and heard many good things. For reference Odyssey didn't click with me tbh.

It's a small gamble, but if you can wait until next summer there's a possibility that Galaxy will be available separately or even bundled in a Galaxy 1 & 2 pack for probably $60.

But on its own, Mario Galaxy is the one game that is likely to look best in full HD. It's an incredibly polished game with artistic visuals that still look very good today. If it hadn't existed on Wii, it would look like a new game today.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
After watching more gameplay footage, I think I'm going to be vindicated for saying Sunshine was my favorite Mario game for all these years.

Honestly my only concern. SM64 on the WII U felt terrible to me.

Yeah it was borderline unplayable if you want to look cool and shit, had the hardest time hitting a triple jump ffs. "No noticeable input lag" and it's an instabuy for me even with the bad value proposition.

Saber

Gold Member
Damn it, ordered a copy... I really didn't want to, because of the minimal effort Nintendo has put in here (especially with SM64, which deserved so much more), but I just really want to play Sunshine and especially Galaxy again (with good image quality). I hope they add Galaxy 2 later to make it more worth it. But that's probably very unlikely.

Hey bud, contrary of what people yell or drama, don't feel bad for buying. Its your money, if you find fun then go for it.
The only problem is when people keep telling is wrong to complain (and silencing)about something you're not ok with or don't like it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
My kids have played none of them. Your premise is flawed. I’m sure many people under 30 have missed at least some of the games in this collection.
I have never bought any of these games until now.

I think everyone complaining is basically people who buy everything they do anyways.

If you never owned these games or systems it’s an incredible package and value.

If you have already bought re releases of these games then u don’t need this one. Yet everyone has to get on a soapbox and performatively consume (or performatively boycott) because they are the center of the universe and if the product doesn’t match their needs then everyone who buys it is an idiot.

It’s seriously annoying and I feel like I’m going to have to point out this over and over with this release.

-Arcadia-

Banned
After watching more gameplay footage, I think I'm going to be vindicated for saying Sunshine was my favorite Mario game for all these years.

I think it’s definitely going to get more a fair shake this time around.

Being the sequel to Super Mario 64, and the latest Mario, is a huge burden for any game. With that pressure now off for 18 years, with countless sequels since, I think people will be able to appreciate Super Mario Sunshine for what it is and isn’t, finally.

I expect a similar effect for 3D World.

Zimmy68

I know SMS has been discussed to death on these boards.
I remember coming from SM64, finding every secret, getting every star.
After a few levels, SMS felt like I hit a brick wall.
The difficulty seem to unnecessarily ramp up.
Putting stars on top of structures that took forever to travel to. Miss an attempt and go all the way back down to refill your water.
Then trudge your way back up.
I remember just giving up because it stopped being fun to play which is something I never thought would happen.
It felt like a different franchise reskinned with Mario.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I know SMS has been discussed to death on these boards.
I remember coming from SM64, finding every secret, getting every star.
After a few levels, SMS felt like I hit a brick wall.
The difficulty seem to unnecessarily ramp up.
Putting stars on top of structures that took forever to travel to. Miss an attempt and go all the way back down to refill your water.
Then trudge your way back up.
I remember just giving up because it stopped being fun to play which is something I never thought would happen.
It felt like a different franchise reskinned with Mario.
That's exactly how it is, and is one of the reasons it was such a huge hit for me and my friends.

It's the perfect game to play with others, where you get a shine then pass to someone else. And it is challenging, so it gives you little breaks where you can watch someone else try a difficult shine. Getting 100% on that game was a huge deal for us back in the day. The blue coins are also brutal.

I love the graphics and the setting, and it has the most challenging platforming and the most moves for Mario out of all of the games. You're right that sometimes you have to backtrack to get to a missed jump, since the whole game feels like a large open world. It's a little frustrating at times, but also the game was ahead of its time with how open it was.

Last edited:

SpiceRacz

Guys I'm not interested in 64 or Sunshine, but is it worth getting this collection just for Galaxy?
I never played it and heard many good things. For reference Odyssey didn't click with me tbh.

I would say so. It's considered by many to be the best 3D platformer ever made. Just out of curiosity, have you already played 64 and Sunshine?

TexMex

Yeah it was borderline unplayable if you want to look cool and shit, had the hardest time hitting a triple jump ffs. "No noticeable input lag" and it's an instabuy for me even with the bad value proposition.

We're of the same mind. It's crazy what that millisecond of delay can do for that game.

I'm not very technical but I had the same issue running it with an emulator.

Of course i had the same issue running Sunshine as well, on top of not knowing how to replicate the half press of the shoulder button to shoot water while running.

I'm sure all of these things have perfectly reasonable solutions, I just don't know them.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
We're of the same mind. It's crazy what that millisecond of delay can do for that game.

I'm not very technical but I had the same issue running it with an emulator.

Of course i had the same issue running Sunshine as well, on top of not knowing how to replicate the half press of the shoulder button to shoot water while running.

I'm sure all of these things have perfectly reasonable solutions, I just don't know them.
I could have sworn I heard GameXplain mention Wii U delay in a video and say it's not there anymore. I can't find it though. Who knows.

jakinov

People here care way too much about it being emulated. Yeah okay it's not a completely remastered or remade version, if that's what you wanted then sure don't buy it. But for people, they want a slightly (or even the same) version that they can run on their Switch and not plug in their N64 or Gamecube. Sony sells you emulated games for 10-15 USD each. Nintendo is bundling 3 for $60 but Mario arguably also has brand equity over those emulated games Sony sells. Microsoft sold mostly emulated bundled of games in Rare Replay and nobody cared. Nintendo natively porting the games for the sake of not using emulation is just dumb. It's a waste of money unless their goal is to completely remake or do massive graphical update. This isn't Super Mario Galaxy Deluxe or Super Mario Sunshine Deluxe. It's s a collection of old games like they used to do during the gamecube days.

TexMex

I could have sworn I heard GameXplain mention Wii U delay in a video and say it's not there anymore. I can't find it though. Who knows.

I bought a Wii U almost entirely for the Virtual Console earlier this year and it's definitely still present.

Larxia

Some of the best video games ever made being reissued for new people who never played them getting a high score? OH THE HUMANITY!
These games have already been reviewed though, years / decades ago. We know their value, what they are etc.
This is a remaster / collection pack, and it should we reviewed as this, for the quality of the collection, and not the original games inside which we already know about.
This collection is terrible and doesn't even deserve 5/10, even if the games inside were good, it's not the subject, otherwise all the craziest things can be allowed.
This should be 30$ max, and all games should be at least 1080p / 60fps and widescreen. And mario 64 should have been a full remake, but I guess it's impossible for nintendo to do that, even if others in the industry do it.

Jooxed

Gold Member
These games have already been reviewed though, years / decades ago. We know their value, what they are etc.
This is a remaster / collection pack, and it should we reviewed as this, for the quality of the collection, and not the original games inside which we already know about.
This collection is terrible and doesn't even deserve 5/10, even if the games inside were good, it's not the subject, otherwise all the craziest things can be allowed.
This should be 30$ max, and all games should be at least 1080p / 60fps and widescreen. And mario 64 should have been a full remake, but I guess it's impossible for nintendo to do that, even if others in the industry do it.

Ha...Have you met Nikana Nikana

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
what did I do?
giphy.gif

Neff

Honestly my only concern. SM64 on the WII U felt terrible to me.

It was pretty bad. I think the Wii U VC situation was a bizarre one-off (that weird dimness was almost as bad as the lag) because the VC release was absolutely fine on Wii.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

DESTROYA

a collection of old games that everyone has already played. truly revolutionary! D:
Everyone , really ?

I have yet to play any of these games and know a large portion of new Nintendo Switch owners that haven’t either and really don’t get all the hate for releasing 3 classic games in one package.
You don’t like it don’t buy it , it’s a pretty simple concept.

Last edited:

magnumpy

Everyone , really ?

I have yet to play any of these games and know a large portion of new Nintendo Switch owners that haven’t either and really don’t get all the hate for releasing 3 classic games in one package.
You don’t like it don’t buy it , it’s a pretty simple concept.

fair enough! although not buying it is hardly a new idea. all I can do is spread the good news of not buying this trashy crap to my fellow gamers lest they make a horrible mistake that will only waste their money :(

DESTROYA

fair enough! although not buying it is hardly a new idea. all I can do is spread the good news of not buying this trashy crap to my fellow gamers lest they make a horrible mistake that will only waste their money :(
Who are you to decide what is trashy crap for fellow gamers , these are known top tier Nintendo games.
How exactly is this a horrible mistake if someone wants to play these games for the first time or just replay some classic fun games from there youth.

Do you say the same things about classic books or movies ?

”Nah don’t read that reprinted book because it’s old and has been printed over many times in the past so save your money for some new book that might not be good or even as fun to read “

It just doesn’t make sense.

magnumpy

Who are you to decide what is trashy crap for fellow gamers , these are known top tier Nintendo games.
How exactly is this a horrible mistake if someone wants to play these games for the first time or just replay some classic fun games from there youth.

Do you say the same things about classic books or movies ?

”Nah don’t read that reprinted book because it’s old and has been printed over many times in the past so save your money for some new book that might not be good or even as fun to read “

It just doesn’t make sense.

old games, or vintage games, or memories of yesteryear or whatever you want call them, are a waste of time. this is a story that has been told already. how many times can it be retold? will it never get old like some kind of dark morbid trap that can be told again and again until you are dead and I am dead and everyone else is dead, except for these crappy old games from the past which refuse to do their duty and just die like the broken down old car that they are. I honestly don't actually care, if you want to waste your time and money then go ahead knock yourself out!

DESTROYA

old games, or vintage games, or memories of yesteryear or whatever you want call them, are a waste of time. this is a story that has been told already. how many times can it be retold? will it never get old like some kind of dark morbid trap that can be told again and again until you are dead and I am dead and everyone else is dead, except for these crappy old games from the past which refuse to do their duty and just die like the broken down old car that they are. I honestly don't actually care, if you want to waste your time and money then go ahead knock yourself out!
Why post if you honestly don’t care. Just to troll those that do ?
No one is asking you to play these classics , Nintendo is just bringing them to a new audience .
So are people not supposed to enjoy classic games or movies ?
Hell even some classic literature is hundreds of years old and still read today but burn it all since its a waste of time right?
This is such a immature stance.

Top Bottom