• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All Stars Review Thread

magnumpy

Why post if you honestly don’t care. Just to troll those that do ?
No one is asking you to play these classics , Nintendo is just bringing them to a new audience .
So are people not supposed to enjoy classic games or movies ?
Hell even some classic literature is hundreds of years old and still read today but burn it all since its a waste of time right?
This is such a immature stance.

vintage used games are worth far less than their original asking price why do you think that is?

PanzerAzel

Galaxy 1 (& 2) is, in my estimation, one of the greatest pieces of software ever crafted, and to have that in portable form is enough for me to drop a dime on this collection despite its lackluster and barebones effort for such an honoring. But, Ninty gonna Nintendo.

But it’s at times like these when Nintendo is forced to reconcile their cross-gen hardware peculiarities that I come to wish they didn’t hold any. Galaxy is my main interest here, and having to constantly take my hand off the buttons to utilize the touchscreen is going to suck. I wish they had afforded us a variety of options in portable mode and placed in a bit more effort to accommodate motion controls (adjustable gyro sensitivity to collect/shoot star bits like the bow aiming in BotW, or have them be automatically collected by proximity ala magnetism, etc).

It’s just frustrating that Nintendo insists on this hardware philosophy that in reality doesn’t add much to gameplay, but that in the passage of time are proving themselves as nothing but gimmicks in the most superficial of distinctions, yet that manifest themselves detrimental to a large degree when pulling their works across generations. It’s a mar on such brilliance.

h00ters

Just downloaded and played for a bit. Two quick initial thoughts after 15 mins with M64:

- Disappointed they didn't give M64 the widescreen treatment. It's annoying seeing so much black space on the Switch screen.
- The joycon joysticks are truly awful and make precise movements even more frustrating than they already were on M64.

appaws

Banned
I think that this will be the game to force me to get comfortable with joy cons.
Just downloaded and played for a bit. Two quick initial thoughts after 15 mins with M64:

- Disappointed they didn't give M64 the widescreen treatment. It's annoying seeing so much black space on the Switch screen.
- The joycon joysticks are truly awful and make precise movements even more frustrating than they already were on M64.

Just played Galaxy with the joycons for a while to see...better, not optimal but better.

There is something less accurate about moving the pointer with the joycon than the wii with the sensor bar used to be. I find myself re-centering it constantly. But it is much better than the pro controller and much more than playable.

I think the pro controller will be perfect for 64 and Sunshine though.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Can you buy them seperate or are they a bundle? I honestly don't care to buy SM64 for the 5th time, but I'd love to pick up Galaxy again.

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
old games, or vintage games, or memories of yesteryear or whatever you want call them, are a waste of time. this is a story that has been told already. how many times can it be retold? will it never get old like some kind of dark morbid trap that can be told again and again until you are dead and I am dead and everyone else is dead, except for these crappy old games from the past which refuse to do their duty and just die like the broken down old car that they are. I honestly don't actually care, if you want to waste your time and money then go ahead knock yourself out!
The word your looking for is Nostalgia. And your reasoning for not caring is fucking stupid. Would you say the same shit about a 4k remaster of Star Wars or Aliens or Jurassic Park? Or even the ability to just watch the movie at home instead of having to go to a theater? No. Your reasoning is stupid and you said a dumb thing. Go sit in the corner and think about what you've said.

Last edited:
Half-assed an OT if you guys want to jump aboard. To talk about the games that is. I have hired a mod to carefully watch over that thread and ban anyone who comes with shitposting intentions.

Kuranghi

I don't think that would work terribly well. You'd be on the stick constantly, pushing a cursor all over the screen.

Eurogamer's review seems about on point from what I know. Two great games, and Mario Sunshine, wrapped up with very little fanfare or thought to presentation.

I'm emulating SMG 2 just now (On a Dualshock 4) and have done this very thing and it seems to be the best for me personally. Its set up like an N64 analogue stick where it recentres after you let go of it, iterative input (where the position is absolute and you move it around like a mouse cursor) is awkward and slow.

I can still move, aim and shoot starbits with B mapped to R1. I tried using the DS4 gyro to control the pointer but it just feels weird, so I'm not sure the Switch Pro Controller would be any better in that regard. I think Joycons would be best, after wiimote.

I'm trying to get gyro working with the joy-cons on PC now, I forgot I had the Mayflash Magic-NS adapter until I starting writing this. Hopefully I can have the best of all worlds soon.

dysonEA

I was fine with the no wide screen in mario 64. I was fine with the work around for the no analog triggers for sunshine. what I'm ABSOLUTELY not fine with is the lack of invert aim options on mario 64 and Sunshine. WTF is this??? This is game breaking for me. The orginal games were inverted, that is how to play them. Nintendo better patch this and soon!

Bullet Club

Episode 289 - Let's check out the newly released Super Mario 3D All*Stars on the Switch and see how Super Mario 64 Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy hold up compared to the original versions. Is this a cash grab?

CitizenX

Banned

A lazy title like this getting high scores? Emulators can do much more than what Nintendo is giving out plus limited release.

If gaming critics had any intergrity, they'd be tearing this game to pieces for its laziness.

Guess Nintendo can do no wrong according to so-called critics.

Save it, been saying that for 2 decades.

Vawn

Banned
Guys I'm not interested in 64 or Sunshine, but is it worth getting this collection just for Galaxy?
I never played it and heard many good things. For reference Odyssey didn't click with me tbh.

Yes. I just 120 star'd it. It's great in Switch.

Bridges

It truly amazes me how great Mario 64 still feels. Yeah, the camera is bad by today's standards and there are a couple things that could be better (and eventually were made better in the sequels), but hot damn, Mario's moveset is so versatile, the long jump just feels amazing. Such a great degree of control is given to the player and it's just astounding that they got it so right on their first try.

Porcile

Man why do people bag on Sunshine again? It’s way more fun than I remembered: the cut scenes suck but the gameplay is fun and Flood is just fun to hop in and mess around with squirting shit.

A lot of the Shines are obnoxiously terrible and worse than any in Mario 64 or Galaxy. It's still a great game but so much annoying stuff.

Ikutachi

Mario 64's camera is okay if you use the c-down instead of default that was a bit too zoomed-in for my liking. As well, you can experiment with Mario's cam mode with R, and trying that with c-down.

Top Bottom