• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars |OT| So Long So Long Gay Bowser

That’s awesome, though. I appreciate my memory, but sometimes it sucks for me, knowing the exact way a mission is going to play out, where to go, what to do, etc.

My memory apparently isn't good enough to remember everything. I just hit 70 stars and beat Bowser, then in the credits saw the green switch area ... but for the life of me I can't remember how to get there. Ah well, I'm sure I'll stumble across it eventually. I was assuming it was in the overworld somewhere (since the red and blue switches are) but maybe I'm wrong.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Galaxy really is ridiculously good. Not only gorgeous to look at but mechanically brilliant. I do slightly miss the ground pound but I guess the spin does that job. So far I’ve had no major issues with the touch controls in handheld or the gyro when on my tv. Interestingly my depth perception seems better in this than in Odyssey and Subshine, perhaps it’s more generous with hitboxes?

-Arcadia-

Banned
Galaxy really is ridiculously good. Not only gorgeous to look at but mechanically brilliant. I do slightly miss the ground pound but I guess the spin does that job. So far I’ve had no major issues with the touch controls in handheld or the gyro when on my tv. Interestingly my depth perception seems better in this than in Odyssey and Subshine, perhaps it’s more generous with hitboxes?

Unless I’m on crazy pills, the ground pound is in Galaxy?

I do agree. You can definitely see the progression of Nintendo’s mastery of 3D platforming and cameras. Every time out, they figure it out more and more, until they finally hit 3D Land, where it’s an amazing hybrid of 3D and 2D Mario.

Odyssey deserves its own props for bringing that over into a completely free-roaming, free-camera, playground paradise.

Animagic

Banned
Going back to the OG Mario 64 is painful. I booted up Mario 64 DS and even though it’s a chunky pixelated game, the many improvements make a huge difference.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Unless I’m on crazy pills, the ground pound is in Galaxy?

I do agree. You can definitely see the progression of Nintendo’s mastery of 3D platforming and cameras. Every time out, they figure it out more and more, until they finally hit 3D Land, where it’s an amazing hybrid of 3D and 2D Mario.

Odyssey deserves its own props for bringing that over into a completely free-roaming, free-camera, playground paradise.

I grabbed a copy of 3D Land to play on Citra so will no doubt give that a go over the weekend - need to not play too much 3D World now the port is coming and Land should scratch the itch in the meantime.

Naked Lunch

So now that the dust has settled, outside of illegal emulation, are the original versions on original hardware still the best way to play these games over this collection? I havent been following it too much but I watched a Mario 64 Yacht Games stream and they straight up hooked up the N64 instead of this version.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So now that the dust has settled, outside of illegal emulation, are the original versions on original hardware still the best way to play these games over this collection? I havent been following it too much but I watched a Mario 64 Yacht Games stream and they straight up hooked up the N64 instead of this version.

Galaxy is definitely better on Switch.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
So I’ve 120-starred SM64 and it’s definitely been the best fun I’ve ever had with this game. I always struggled with the N64 analogue, but with modern sticks it’s been a blast. The game plays and feels so much better than Sunshine, it’s a relief to see not a few people in here realizing that Sunshine is indeed a janky, temperamental game.

SM64 also has perfect progression. Starts easy enough, then gradually becomes harder until the last 2 stages where it puts every bit of your skill to the test. Tik Tok Clock and Rainbow Ride are absolutely brilliant. I used to actively hate RR, now I see how carefully designed it is. Yeah, I still had to redo it a ton of times. Getting to the flying ship again and again is a test of patience and that last star you have to get with the cannon is just cruel, but the level’s design is out of this world for such an early 3D game, and the way you can basically see every part of the level in the distance from the carpet is incredible.

TTC is fantastic as well. My left Joycon started drifting badly when I was playing that level and I was in handheld mode so no Pro Controller available, yet I managed to do it all somehow. Getting those 100 coins was tense, lol.

I also had no real problem figuring out a lot of stuff that had me completely stumped when I played the game for the first time. Granted, I’ve seen tons of speedruns during the last years, but those rarely show you the legit way of getting stars, so a lot of stuff I had to learn again, which made me appreciate the brilliance of SM64 even more. This game was so ahead of its time, it’s scary. No wonder no other game really managed to do the same thing.

I don’t think I have the time for Galaxy now, but SM64 more than justified my purchase of 3D All-Stars.

Scotty W

Gold Member
I grabbed a copy of 3D Land to play on Citra so will no doubt give that a go over the weekend - need to not play too much 3D World now the port is coming and Land should scratch the itch in the meantime.
3d land is great. What is most impressive to me is that it and 3d World were developed at the same time, and share a lot of material, but yet are also very individual at the same time.

I would go so far as to say that I like 3D Land a tiny bit better.

I'm at 45 stars in Galaxy and I've come around a bit on it now. I didn't remember just how much everything involved waggle, it was kind of an unpleasant shock. Everywhere I go I'm having to grab blue stars to pull myself around or having to stop so I can point at star bits and collect them... it's safe to say I don't enjoy short challenges built around wii remote features. And I'm comparing that to stomping my way to victory using Mario moves in huge sandboxes like the exotic locales in sunshine, which I had a great time doing just the other day.

I have gotten to some bigger areas in Galaxy now though like the Beach Bowl Galaxy so that's nice, but it doesn't compare to the kind of wide open, detailed places you can explore in games like New Donk City in Mario Odyssey for example. Anyway, I am enjoying myself a bit more than in the early parts of the game and the music is incredible, so that's a big plus.

I like that everyone seems to be finding something they really vibe with in this compilation.

Told you, the real all-stars would be the friends we make along the way. These games deserve to be shared, it's the ultimate campfire stories gaming material. Remember the red coins in that rainbow stage with the pyramids that turned flat? That was pretty badass man. 15 levels of this stuff in 64 alone.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Told you, the real all-stars would be the friends we make along the way. These games deserve to be shared, it's the ultimate campfire stories gaming material. Remember the red coins in that rainbow stage with the pyramids that turned flat? That was pretty badass man. 15 levels of this stuff in 64 alone.

No. Galaxy is the real All-Star. You friends simply do not compare.

-Arcadia-

Banned
It’s always sad to see a particular style you loved go, but as it has come up a few times, I’m glad Nintendo kept changing it up with 3D Mario. Introduce the concept. Evolve the concept. Try something totally new.

It’s not unlike how they handle mechanics in the actual games themselves, never hanging onto something long enough for it to stagnate, or prevent trying new things.

If there’s one constant for Mario, it’s this. The little dude started off in a King Kong spoof, moved to a co-op multiplayer game, then hit gold with a platformer... before (in the US) being in a weird vegetable game, followed by two more traditional platformers, then a weird Yoshi game, then a sea change to 3D exploration/adventure.

Change is at the heart of Mario, and why it’s persisted so long. You kind of have to. No matter how good it is, no matter how much you improve it, you can’t keep making the same game over and over again. Entertainment is a large part about surprise and discovery, and that gets impossible after a certain amount of time.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It’s always sad to see a particular style you loved go, but as it has come up a few times, I’m glad Nintendo kept changing it up with 3D Mario. Introduce the concept. Evolve the concept. Try something totally new.

It’s not unlike how they handle mechanics in the actual games themselves, never hanging onto something long enough for it to stagnate, or prevent trying new things.

If there’s one constant for Mario, it’s this. The little dude started off in a King Kong spoof, moved to a co-op multiplayer game, then hit gold with a platformer... before (in the US) being in a weird vegetable game, followed by two more traditional platformers, then a weird Yoshi game, then a sea change to 3D exploration/adventure.

Change is at the heart of Mario, and why it’s persisted so long. You kind of have to. No matter how good it is, no matter how much you improve it, you can’t keep making the same game over and over again. Entertainment is a large part about surprise and discovery, and that gets impossible after a certain amount of time.
Odyssey proved that 3d Mario sells without simplification. Everyone should hold on to their ass. EPD has officially been let loose.

Last edited:

Beautiful stuff Cadia and you can really apply that to the overall Nintendo design philosophy. If you can't push forward, then there's no reason to do it.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I finished Super Mario Sunshine with 56 Shine Spirits.

Fuck then difficulty in this game especially the platforming segments. Way too slippery and easy to press the wrong action.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Is this your first time through all of these games? I’m kind of jealous of the paradise you must be in.

Yep - never owned a console before and in the case of 3D land I simply didn't know it existed. I'm half tempted to skip Citra, find the wife's 3DS and pick up 3D land from amazon for £15 tbh. Honestly coming to the Switch has been an absolute joy as it's given me a great excuse to go play some absolute stone-cold classics, and I timed it well with allstars release and then the big one in Feb (really looking forward to 3D world as playing that on an emulator made me realise I needed the real deal).

3d land is great. What is most impressive to me is that it and 3d World were developed at the same time, and share a lot of material, but yet are also very individual at the same time.

I would go so far as to say that I like 3D Land a tiny bit better.

Sounds like it'll do the job intended then. That's good news.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Yep - never owned a console before and in the case of 3D land I simply didn't know it existed. I'm half tempted to skip Citra, find the wife's 3DS and pick up 3D land from amazon for £15 tbh. Honestly coming to the Switch has been an absolute joy as it's given me a great excuse to go play some absolute stone-cold classics, and I timed it well with allstars release and then the big one in Feb (really looking forward to 3D world as playing that on an emulator made me realise I needed the real deal).

Kind of like I was saying to Tess about Metroid, I really recommend this one in 3D. It will be lovely however you play it, but they truly went the extra mile on this, and customized and endlessly polished the camera to make 3D constantly pop. If you can get a hold of your wife’s 3DS, that would be my first choice in how to play it.

My personal opinion of 3D Land is that 3D World is a better game, but that it’s still absolutely great. With seemingly only about a year and a half between this and Galaxy 2, it’s a little dialed down from what came before it and after, but kind of lives in that simplicity and purity, and makes the best of it.

Punished Miku

Gold Member

3D Land is so 3D that you might as well not even play it without a real 3DS. It's so 3D that the fixed camera didn't matter at all. It's so 3D that 3D World (Wii U / Switch) was in many ways a lesser release than 3D Land since that whole gameplay style and camera system was designed for 3D.

If you get the 3DS, pick up Link Between Worlds too, and Luigi's Mansion 2.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
-Arcadia- -Arcadia- Punished Miku Punished Miku so I finally got my wife off her arse to find the damn thing (I've asked her about 20 bloody times what she'd done with it - was beginning to think she'd sold it which would be annoying as I bought it for her for a birthday years ago) and put in my order on Amazon - so 3D Land will arrive tomorrow. I reckon that plus allstars ought to give me plenty of mario platforming action while I await 3D World. It's an original 3DS so not one of the new fancy ones but I'm sure it'll be fine.

All being well I'll follow Punished Miku Punished Miku 's advice re Link Between Worlds - Luigi's Mansion I'm less sure about as it doesn't really look my bag.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
-Arcadia- -Arcadia- Punished Miku Punished Miku so I finally got my wife off her arse to find the damn thing (I've asked her about 20 bloody times what she'd done with it - was beginning to think she'd sold it which would be annoying as I bought it for her for a birthday years ago) and put in my order on Amazon - so 3D Land will arrive tomorrow. I reckon that plus allstars ought to give me plenty of mario platforming action while I await 3D World. It's an original 3DS so not one of the new fancy ones but I'm sure it'll be fine.

All being well I'll follow Punished Miku Punished Miku 's advice re Link Between Worlds - Luigi's Mansion I'm less sure about as it doesn't really look my bag.
The 3D is awesome. Maybe turn it up slightly at first to get used to it, then go all the way when you don't get a headache.

One of my favorite systems ever. I'll see if there's any other must have games, but you're on the right path for sure.

JimiNutz

Banned
3D Land is so 3D that you might as well not even play it without a real 3DS. It's so 3D that the fixed camera didn't matter at all. It's so 3D that 3D World (Wii U / Switch) was in many ways a lesser release than 3D Land since that whole gameplay style and camera system was designed for 3D.

If you get the 3DS, pick up Link Between Worlds too, and Luigi's Mansion 2.

Unpopular opinion maybe but 3D Land is actually my favourite Mario game.
I'm really looking forward to 3D World to see if I end up liking it as much.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The 3D is awesome. Maybe turn it up slightly at first to get used to it, then go all the way when you don't get a headache.

One of my favorite systems ever. I'll see if there's any other must have games, but you're on the right path for sure.

One cool thing is the games are cheap but it's Nintendo - good gameplay doesn't age, I mean ffs Super Mario World is only a few months younger than my wife and it's still absolutely amazing.

JimiNutz JimiNutz 3D World is awesome on emulator, can't wait to have it on the Switch. It's got all that typically nintendo delight but in a rather more focused form than the utterly wonderful Odyssey or M64.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
One cool thing is the games are cheap but it's Nintendo - good gameplay doesn't age, I mean ffs Super Mario World is only a few months younger than my wife and it's still absolutely amazing.

JimiNutz JimiNutz 3D World is awesome on emulator, can't wait to have it on the Switch. It's got all that typically nintendo delight but in a rather more focused form than the utterly wonderful Odyssey or M64.
If you never got into Fire Emblem, Awakening is the best starting point you could get. 3D isn't mandatory though.

JimiNutz

Banned

Yeah I loved Odyssey and am enjoying M64 as well but I think I slightly prefer the more focused approach of 3D Land. It's a brilliant game to just pick up and play and there is very little, if any, downtime.

I can't wait to try 3D World, especially as I'll be able to play it in multiplayer with my girlfriend. It looks like a lot of fun in videos and I'm sure it'll live up to 3D Land. Shame we have to wait until February.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah I loved Odyssey and am enjoying M64 as well but I think I slightly prefer the more focused approach of 3D Land. It's a brilliant game to just pick up and play and there is very little, if any, downtime.

I can't wait to try 3D World, especially as I'll be able to play it in multiplayer with my girlfriend. It looks like a lot of fun in videos and I'm sure it'll live up to 3D Land. Shame we have to wait until February.

Yeah the multiplayer is definitely an attraction. That's kinda where new super mario bros u deluxe penis was a bit of a letdown in that some of the levels just don't work multiplayer, the camera being somewhat unhelpful and the problem of the lead player setting things in motion that hinder the following players. I have a suspicion that the extra space afforded in 3D would allow us to not get in each other's way quite so much. I had some hopes for that with Yoshi's crafted world and grabbed the demo and while it's insanely pretty and charming, for some reason it didn't really click (not helped by the yoshi riding yoshi mechanic being a little too keen). There's just not enough challenge in there which is probably because it's for younger kids rather than big kids like myself.

JimiNutz

Banned
Yeah the multiplayer is definitely an attraction. That's kinda where new super mario bros u deluxe penis was a bit of a letdown in that some of the levels just don't work multiplayer, the camera being somewhat unhelpful and the problem of the lead player setting things in motion that hinder the following players. I have a suspicion that the extra space afforded in 3D would allow us to not get in each other's way quite so much. I had some hopes for that with Yoshi's crafted world and grabbed the demo and while it's insanely pretty and charming, for some reason it didn't really click (not helped by the yoshi riding yoshi mechanic being a little too keen). There's just not enough challenge in there which is probably because it's for younger kids rather than big kids like myself.

The girlfriend and I did play through NSMBU Deluxe in co op but she used Toadette who makes the game a little easier I think?
We also completed DKC Tropic Freeze in co op as well.

Was really proud to read afterwards that both games are supposedly harder in co op and some people have jokingly called them 'relationship enders' due to the potential frustration of playing them that way. We both had a lot of fun playing them together!

I do agree that the slightly larger levels and different camera perspective should make 3D World an even better multiplayer experience though. I haven't tried any of the new Yoshi games as I also heard they were lacking in any kind of challenge.

I also really hope we get another DK game at some point that uses the same isometric style as 3D Land and World.

Bragr

Banned
Why are all the small cutscenes before each star in 64 removed? is that because it's the updated version without gay Bowser?

I enjoy playing these games with a modern controller, having a proper joystick for camera controls in Sunshine rather than that terrible little yellow one on the GameCube controller, not having to use Wii-Remotes on Galaxy, it's a blessing.

I did 120 stars on Mario 64 and is currently on Sunshine. 64 was a lot shorter and easier than I remember, it's really only the last 2 levels that has some tricky stars, I was surprised that I remembered every secret star after all these years.

Sunshine looks 3 times better, removing that damn haze that blocks every sightline makes the game looks so much cleaner, and just like I remember, it goes from good star mission to terrible anger-inducing frustration constantly. Still, it's easily the best version of that game, in fact, all the games look a lot cleaner and controls better. Even the motion controls with the pro controller in Galaxy is not too bad.

Camera in 64 is a relic though, wish they fixed it.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
The girlfriend and I did play through NSMBU Deluxe in co op but she used Toadette who makes the game a little easier I think?
We also completed DKC Tropic Freeze in co op as well.

Was really proud to read afterwards that both games are supposedly harder in co op and some people have jokingly called them 'relationship enders' due to the potential frustration of playing them that way. We both had a lot of fun playing them together!

I do agree that the slightly larger levels and different camera perspective should make 3D World an even better multiplayer experience though. I haven't tried any of the new Yoshi games as I also heard they were lacking in any kind of challenge.

I also really hope we get another DK game at some point that uses the same isometric style as 3D Land and World.

I'm impressed - wife uses Toad rather than Toadette so difficulty is normal, it's more about being able to tell each other apart on the damn screen than anything else. The one that's killing us at the moment is that twat level with the rotating stars. Fuck that level. The alternative though is the impossible underwater one on the other route, so we're somewhat stuck.

I think the Yoshi games are great for what they are, if I had a kid I'd be perfectly happy for them to play it and it's got oodles of charm, it's not aimed at me and that's fine, though I'd love a game with that art style that is for me.. crafted mario maybe?

One of the things that is cool with 3D world is the camera being a bit more fixed - it'll do 45 degree movements, and all the level design is built around that, so you don't have the awkwardness that M64 has where you're trying to run on a narrow beam at an angle you can't quite hit under time pressure. I'm an old man, I can't pull that shit off anymore, and as much as I love Odyssey I suffered a bit there too because I couldn't always get mario where I wanted him due to my retardation.

Really looking forward to 3D land arriving tomorrow - I was planning to get shit done this weekend but I fear those plans are now in tatters!

JimiNutz

Banned
I'm impressed - wife uses Toad rather than Toadette so difficulty is normal, it's more about being able to tell each other apart on the damn screen than anything else. The one that's killing us at the moment is that twat level with the rotating stars. Fuck that level. The alternative though is the impossible underwater one on the other route, so we're somewhat stuck.

I think the Yoshi games are great for what they are, if I had a kid I'd be perfectly happy for them to play it and it's got oodles of charm, it's not aimed at me and that's fine, though I'd love a game with that art style that is for me.. crafted mario maybe?

One of the things that is cool with 3D world is the camera being a bit more fixed - it'll do 45 degree movements, and all the level design is built around that, so you don't have the awkwardness that M64 has where you're trying to run on a narrow beam at an angle you can't quite hit under time pressure. I'm an old man, I can't pull that shit off anymore, and as much as I love Odyssey I suffered a bit there too because I couldn't always get mario where I wanted him due to my retardation.

Really looking forward to 3D land arriving tomorrow - I was planning to get shit done this weekend but I fear those plans are now in tatters!

Yeah Toadette has access to the princes power up that then allows her to float. That saved our skins a couple of times on the trickier levels.

I know exactly where you are! I hated those stars too, as I like to run fast through the levels and those stars would really frustrate me. If you approach them slowly and methodically they aren't so bad though. The water levels require fire flowers in my opinion to kill off those pesky fish. If I remember correctly there's one section that seemed impossible until we discovered a secret power star which allowed us to just swim straight through without harm.

I must admit that I've fallen off a few beams in M64 as well. I try to crawl across anything that's tight like that if possible lol

Hope you enjoy 3D Land! The levels are little bite sized packages of joy so you could maybe fit them in-between being productive. It's a great game to just pick up and play for short 10 minute sessions if you want to - so long as you have the discipline to then put it down again.

H

hariseldon

Unconfirmed Member
Hope you enjoy 3D Land! The levels are little bite sized packages of joy so you could maybe fit them in-between being productive. It's a great game to just pick up and play for short 10 minute sessions if you want to - so long as you have the discipline to then put it down again.

This is Nintendo. I strongly doubt I'll have the necessary discipline!

-Arcadia-

Banned
Only OGs remember

sYpXtoU.jpg

x8UMX4G.jpg

Shaqazooloo

I'm at 60 shines now, just did most of Noki Bay. I have no complaints about the underwater bits, it's jank, yeah, but not super difficult to control. I did the red coins in a bottle, Eel boss and red coin fish in my first try with relative ease.

I've always loved the eel boss fight, mostly because I like the idea of a silly not-so-serious task being the main gimmick.

Overall really like the stage outside of finding blue coins and unlocking the other nozzles since I couldn't find them.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Fun morning. I have to say, the Pinna Park enemies that you can make electrocute themselves with water, are genius, lol. I’m noticing that a lot more this time, just how many fun usages of water and the squirt gun that Nintendo built in. Likewise, I adore the Super Mario World cage mechanics in 3D. It’s so much fun (that word comes up a lot) climbing all around these jungle gym pieces, and figuring out how to get through.

49 shines now. If I recall right, I get to fight Bowser soon? I think I’m going to push past that. I don’t know about 120, but I don’t want the virtual vacation to end.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I'm at 60 shines now, just did most of Noki Bay. I have no complaints about the underwater bits, it's jank, yeah, but not super difficult to control. I did the red coins in a bottle, Eel boss and red coin fish in my first try with relative ease.

I've always loved the eel boss fight, mostly because I like the idea of a silly not-so-serious task being the main gimmick.

Overall really like the stage outside of finding blue coins and unlocking the other nozzles since I couldn't find them.

My only ever real problem with that, is why does Mario lose the ability to swim? Lol. I get what Nintendo was going for, a kind of rocketeer challenge, but it’s confusing to the player to suddenly lose the ability to make subtle, nuanced movements by swimming, while underwater. It’s like the mechanic would have made more contextual sense in the sky, or space.

Accepting it for what it is though, I really love that boss fight for the exact reason you said, and infini-jet packing around is just fun, as well as the bottle in the sky and the ruins being awesome environments.

Top Bottom