• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stock-Age: Stocks, Options and Dividends oh my!

no idea how reliable the data is:
pQjoHYs.jpg

How do you read that? Is it a stacked chart?

TheContact

finished setting up robinhood today. i funded $50 just to mess around. bought $10 of dogecoin, $10 of bitoin, 1 share of Ford which was like $11, and it gave me a free one called cbay valued at like $5 a share or something. is there a safe stock to invest in atm or can someone provide good resources for finding what the best stocks are to invest in atm? i have zero experience with this, and i'm doing it more of a game i don't plan on going too crazy

zeorhymer

finished setting up robinhood today. i funded $50 just to mess around. bought $10 of dogecoin, $10 of bitoin, 1 share of Ford which was like $11, and it gave me a free one called cbay valued at like $5 a share or something. is there a safe stock to invest in atm or can someone provide good resources for finding what the best stocks are to invest in atm? i have zero experience with this, and i'm doing it more of a game i don't plan on going too crazy
99775e07.png
Not quite sure why.
I'd expect BTC to go down by a lot. Hold onto it though and it will break out again in a few years time. Ford seems eh to me. They've been on the decline for 5ish years and suddenly they spiked. I don't think that will be sustainable. The only safe stocks are the big boys as far as I know. Usually the Fortune 500 companies.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, but there's a ton of information about stocks and a ton of conflicting information as well. You could do a google of "stock 101 investopedia" and it should pop up beginners guides. YouTube U has a bunch of stock information as well. Only advice I can offer is to read up on what the numbers mean like EPS, FCF, debt to earnings and so forth. If you don't want to deal with any of that, there's nothing wrong with putting in money in mutual funds or ETFs. They handle the nitty gritty for you.

TheContact

99775e07.png
Not quite sure why.
I'd expect BTC to go down by a lot. Hold onto it though and it will break out again in a few years time. Ford seems eh to me. They've been on the decline for 5ish years and suddenly they spiked. I don't think that will be sustainable. The only safe stocks are the big boys as far as I know. Usually the Fortune 500 companies.

I'm not going to sugar coat it, but there's a ton of information about stocks and a ton of conflicting information as well. You could do a google of "stock 101 investopedia" and it should pop up beginners guides. YouTube U has a bunch of stock information as well. Only advice I can offer is to read up on what the numbers mean like EPS, FCF, debt to earnings and so forth. If you don't want to deal with any of that, there's nothing wrong with putting in money in mutual funds or ETFs. They handle the nitty gritty for you.

the $10 into doge was 99% for the memes with coworkers, but i do want to make a little money and have fun at the same time without going too crazy. thanks for the advice.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

the $10 into doge was 99% for the memes with coworkers, but i do want to make a little money and have fun at the same time without going too crazy. thanks for the advice.
I think doge hit like 45 cents. I more than confident that it'll reach at least 30 again. It's a weird world we live in.

ManofOne

Plus Member
My twitter put options carried me. Sold my Amazon calls but was expecting more of movement to cash out on some volatility but nothing noticeable.

GHG

damn that 14% drop. thought i wouldn't get too excited its basically just at levels where it was in February.

etTDawb.png

I had TWTR back in February and traded it around earnings then. It had a massive run up after earnings which made me regret selling it the day after they reported.

Funny to see it's back to exactly the same price I initially bought at. Tells you a lot about how over-reactive the market was prior to the late February/early March pullback.

Last edited:

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
no idea how reliable the data is:
pQjoHYs.jpg

This makes a lot of sense considering the increase in popularity of investing (stocks and crypto) adding to savings and the fact tourism and street businesses are still dead, decreasing personal spending.

Did the chart come with any theories to justify the trends? I wouldn’t read this as “all personal spending is down”, it is most likely the cultural change forced by the lockdowns influencing people to stop spending in particular sectors.

99775e07.png
Not quite sure why.

TheContact TheContact

To begin building wealth, the best investment is always the S&P 500. Any ETF that follows it will be good for long-term (i.e. decades) of investment. Including the Great Depression, there has not been a 30-year period where the S&P 500 has not grown at least 7% per year. $1 you invest in the S&P 500 today is practically guaranteed be worth at least $7.61 in 30 years. And you can probably expect a 9%-10% per year return on the average, so what you get should be much higher due to compounding growth ($13.27-$17.45 or so in 30 years from $1 invested today). Time is on your side - you just have to throw money in when you can.

TBH, I'd use Vanguard instead of middlemen like Webull and Robinhood to invest. Robinhood exists by taking your money off the top in addition to any fees associated with funds you buy. With Vanguard, you pay no trading fees on their ETFs (VOO is their S&P 500 tracker) AND their management costs are very low, and once you get around $5000 saved (IIRC, could be $10000) you can transition into their S&P 500 "Admiral" mutual fund which still has no trading fees and even lower management costs.

I would also really, really suggest opening a Roth IRA (if you make under $120k or so) or a regular IRA (if you make over $120k or so; your AGI is what matters, and it can vary a lot). Tax advantage is powerful, especially Roths. Being able to buy and sell without the tax man skimming off the top each time you transact will help you build more wealth more quickly. In a Roth, money that would be taxed in a regular brokerage account will get to keep compounding tax-free from the day you deposit it and invest it to when you are retired and withdraw it. Roths (and traditional IRAs) also let you pull out the amount you contributed if you absolutely need it. And they also let you pull out money early and penalty free for certain big life events, like $10k for first-time home purchases. Opening a Roth in Vanguard is as easy as opening a bank account.

Once you get all this settled, you can start contributing and begin building wealth to compound in the market. I don't recommend looking at individual stock trading until you have started reliably saving and building wealth.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Really good article here by Matt Tiabbi mimicking my concerns on the rise of margin debt and how low rates are fueling a new age of moral hazard.

Seems to me the super low mortgages rates might do another 2008 crisis. However, I dont know how sketchy the mortgage deals are now vs. back then. Canada has stress tests at +2% fakery when applying, so that should help a lot.....(assuming the guy can keep his job)

But right now anyone getting a mortgage in Canada with a decent credit score should be able to get one for 2% or less.

All it takes is another year or two when rates go up, people's variable rates go up, or people renewing a fixed rate deal at 3.5%% instead of the 1.75% they got now, and I see a lot of fucktards getting nailed 3 years from now because they think the world will run on a 1.75% mortgage rate forever for everyone.

People in the Toronto GTA are in house buying stupidity mode again the past half year as covid lockdown kept everyone quiet. The average home has spiked probably 10%+ for no reason but people bidding up properties asap. Bidding Wars V2 like it was 2016.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I picked up the intelligent investor last week. It’s a bit dry. Any chapters in particular I should concentrate on?

I’m basically trying to get more into value investing and picking stocks with dividends instead of the rampant speculating I’m doing.
I got a pot of cash in my RRSP sitting there after selling stuff since beginning of the year.

I might get back into Algonquin Utilities and Hydro One and sit on these till I die. Two boring Canadian utility companies that pay about 4% yield. I might do Enbridge or Bell too which pay even higher yields at 6%.

I'm getting tired speculating too much too.

I got a pot of cash in my RRSP sitting there after selling stuff since beginning of the year.

I might get back into Algonquin Utilities and Hydro One and sit on these till I die. Two boring Canadian utility companies that pay about 4% yield. I might do Enbridge or Bell too which pay even higher yields at 6%.

I'm getting tired speculating too much too.

Yeah, but I also want to teach myself how to look at balance sheets and calculate the value of a company (if I can) so I can determine if they’re undervalued.

GHG

A lot of the growth stocks are following the same pattern now, sell-offs followed by a rise, rinse repeat. But the key thing is that the highs of those rises are progressively getting lower and the interval between each sell off is getting shorter.

Time to treat anything "growth" with extreme care.

Last edited:
Yeah, but I also want to teach myself how to look at balance sheets and calculate the value of a company (if I can) so I can determine if they’re undervalued.

As someone who went to college for that reason, I think trying to calculate the value of a company from the outside is extremely difficult, and that there are so many things you don't know about going on inside the company or that are unforeseen that even if you can do a pretty good job it won't really tell you what you need to know about the price of the stock.

Learning balance sheets is useful, but companies that are failing often have ways of hiding stuff and not reporting it on their balance sheets. Otherwise there is all kinds of valuation shenanigans companies can use to make it look like what they have is more valuable, or like their accounts receivable is collectible when it isn't. I learned in a forensic accounting class that there is a formula that's supposed to predict the likelihood of a company declaring bankruptcy. I've never tried to do much with it, though it is a tempting idea.

As someone who went to college for that reason, I think trying to calculate the value of a company from the outside is extremely difficult, and that there are so many things you don't know about going on inside the company or that are unforeseen that even if you can do a pretty good job it won't really tell you what you need to know about the price of the stock.

Learning balance sheets is useful, but companies that are failing often have ways of hiding stuff and not reporting it on their balance sheets. Otherwise there is all kinds of valuation shenanigans companies can use to make it look like what they have is more valuable, or like their accounts receivable is collectible when it isn't. I learned in a forensic accounting class that there is a formula that's supposed to predict the likelihood of a company declaring bankruptcy. I've never tried to do much with it, though it is a tempting idea.

lol, good point. I guess I just want to get better at identifying companies that are undervalued. I’m essentially trying to mitigate as much risk as possible when investing.

GHG

lol, good point. I guess I just want to get better at identifying companies that are undervalued. I’m essentially trying to mitigate as much risk as possible when investing.

Check out everything money on youtube:

Check out some of their individual stock videos as well.

You would still want to go a bit more in depth than they do but their 8 pillars method will give you a good starting point to understand how much of a risk a particular company is at it's current price.

Really good article here by Matt Tiabbi mimicking my concerns on the rise of margin debt and how low rates are fueling a new age of moral hazard.

This is an excerpt from today’s subscriber-only post. To read the entire article and get full access to the archives, you can subscribe for $5 a month or $50 a year.

uh

ManofOne

Plus Member
I picked up the intelligent investor last week. It’s a bit dry. Any chapters in particular I should concentrate on?

I’m basically trying to get more into value investing and picking stocks with dividends instead of the rampant speculating I’m do

None specifically I can recommend but if you finish his book, look for another book called Margin of Saftey.

Both deal with value investing. The Intelligent Investor is Warren Buffet fav book

Last edited:

TheContact

TheContact TheContact

To begin building wealth, the best investment is always the S&P 500. Any ETF that follows it will be good for long-term (i.e. decades) of investment. Including the Great Depression, there has not been a 30-year period where the S&P 500 has not grown at least 7% per year. $1 you invest in the S&P 500 today is practically guaranteed be worth at least $7.61 in 30 years. And you can probably expect a 9%-10% per year return on the average, so what you get should be much higher due to compounding growth ($13.27-$17.45 or so in 30 years from $1 invested today). Time is on your side - you just have to throw money in when you can.

TBH, I'd use Vanguard instead of middlemen like Webull and Robinhood to invest. Robinhood exists by taking your money off the top in addition to any fees associated with funds you buy. With Vanguard, you pay no trading fees on their ETFs (VOO is their S&P 500 tracker) AND their management costs are very low, and once you get around $5000 saved (IIRC, could be $10000) you can transition into their S&P 500 "Admiral" mutual fund which still has no trading fees and even lower management costs.

I would also really, really suggest opening a Roth IRA (if you make under $120k or so) or a regular IRA (if you make over $120k or so; your AGI is what matters, and it can vary a lot). Tax advantage is powerful, especially Roths. Being able to buy and sell without the tax man skimming off the top each time you transact will help you build more wealth more quickly. In a Roth, money that would be taxed in a regular brokerage account will get to keep compounding tax-free from the day you deposit it and invest it to when you are retired and withdraw it. Roths (and traditional IRAs) also let you pull out the amount you contributed if you absolutely need it. And they also let you pull out money early and penalty free for certain big life events, like $10k for first-time home purchases. Opening a Roth in Vanguard is as easy as opening a bank account.

Once you get all this settled, you can start contributing and begin building wealth to compound in the market. I don't recommend looking at individual stock trading until you have started reliably saving and building wealth.

thanks for this thorough response. I’ve heard other recommendations for Vanguard instead of RH so I’ll check that out. I’m lucky enough to have a pension, but I’ve also been contributing to an aggressive Roth IRA for a few years. I also have fidelity accounts for my kids. The robinhood thing was more of an amusement but it’s made me way more interested in the stock market than I thought I would be. In whatever ignorance I have of rhe stock market, RH is attractive to me in the sense that you can easily drop small amounts of money into various stocks and just see how it goes. If I were to switch over to vanguard would I still be able to track the stocks I purchased in RH?

BigBooper

If you are doing this more as a just see what happens kind of thing, definitely get out of Robinhood because there will eventually be some meme stock or crypto you want to trade and Robinhood will screw you over by blocking trades. They've done it multiple times now.

Would bank stocks and BRK/B be good hedges against inflation and rising interest rates?

thinking of selling some of my growth positions like TSLA and buying BRK with the proceeds

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
My Power Financial is doing the Wealthsimple equity offering. Hopefully it helps me gain in some fashion

ManofOne

Plus Member

Record auto sales drive ON Semiconductor's Q1 beats, upside guidance​

• ON Semiconductor (NASDAQ:ON) shares are up 1.8% pre-market after topping first quarter estimates with $1.48B in revenue (up 16% on the year) and $0.35 EPS, one cent above consensus.
  • Record automotive revenue was up 5% on the quarter to $515M.
  • Gross margin was 35.2%, up 80 bps quarter-over-quarter and 370 bps on the year.
  • Cash from operating activities totaled $218.5M with FCF of $141.5M.
  • "We delivered strong results driven by disciplined execution in a strong demand environment across our focus end-markets. Our gross margin initiatives are beginning to show early results with first quarter gross margin expanding by 80 basis points quarter-over-quarter. We remain confident in our ability to further expand our margins as we continue to make structural changes to the business," says CEO Hassane El-Khoury.
  • For Q2, ON guides for revenue of $1.57-1.67B (consensus: $1.49B) and EPS of $0.44-0.54 (consensus: $0.39).

Is LMT still a decent value at $380? I see a lot of upside there still but it’s a little higher than I wanted now that funds are cleared. I’d love to see a pull back on that again.

GHG

Is LMT still a decent value at $380? I see a lot of upside there still but it’s a little higher than I wanted now that funds are cleared. I’d love to see a pull back on that again.

I was looking at that one a week ago prior to earnings and came to the conclusion it's overvalued. Personally I'd wait until it comes back to around the 350 range but there seems to be another round of rotation into value stocks at the moment so it might well hit new highs in the next couple of weeks.

Depends on how long you're looking to hold it for I guess.

godhandiscen

These portfolio loses are nothing but a wound!!!

FML

Ever since February my portfolio (tech) has performed like shit. I keep buying regardless, but I am not sure I would be such a permabull by now if it wasn’t because of crypto biasing my decision making, convincing me I am not that retarded.

These portfolio loses are nothing but a wound!!!

FML

Ever since February my portfolio (tech) has performed like shit. I keep buying regardless, but I am not sure I would be such a permabull by now if it wasn’t because of crypto biasing my decision making, convincing me I am not that retarded.
Do you actually hold no other sectors other than tech and your crypto?

godhandiscen

Do you actually hold no other sectors other than tech and your crypto?
Yeah I don’t hold anything other than tech. I don’t feel confident buying anything else. I have a $1k position on DNOW because one day I was looking at Michael Burry’s portfolio, but I will sell it once I have held it for more than a year.

godhandiscen

I'm pretty sure someone here posted to get on the Ethereum train late last year or early this year. Ouch...I did not listen.

raw

5xtiqoy.png

Money is still pouring into NFT based tech and companies. It will be a bit before the NFT bubble bursts. NFTs are also only one of the possible applications on ETH. I’d say the future is bright for holders.

Last edited:

zeorhymer

. If I were to switch over to vanguard would I still be able to track the stocks I purchased in RH?
I'm not familiar with Vanguard, but with TD Ameritrade, I can bring in my portfolio from ETrade to make everything under one roof. I'm still slacking on it. Best bet is to ask Vanguard if they can transfer from RH into the Vanguard account.

godhandiscen

thanks for this thorough response. I’ve heard other recommendations for Vanguard instead of RH so I’ll check that out. I’m lucky enough to have a pension, but I’ve also been contributing to an aggressive Roth IRA for a few years. I also have fidelity accounts for my kids. The robinhood thing was more of an amusement but it’s made me way more interested in the stock market than I thought I would be. In whatever ignorance I have of rhe stock market, RH is attractive to me in the sense that you can easily drop small amounts of money into various stocks and just see how it goes. If I were to switch over to vanguard would I still be able to track the stocks I purchased in RH?
I think you can transfer the stocks from one account to another using this tool:

Top Bottom