• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Statue maker Gaming Heads claims Sony told it to destroy all PlayStation themed stock

Draugoth

Gold Member
gaming-heads-tlou-1280x720.jpg

Video game statue manufacturer Gaming Heads claims it has been told to destroy all its licensed PlayStation stock. According to the company, this includes items currently in stock (including The Last of Us Part II Ellie statues, Jak 3 statues and God of War statues and busts).

It also includes pre-order items, such as its Sly Cooper statue, The Last of Us Ellie & Joel diorama, Bloodborne statue and Ratchet & Clank statue.

An ‘open letter’ posted on the company’s Twitter account suggests the decision was made by Sony, but doesn’t explain why it made this decision.

It also namechecks PlayStation’s group manager of commercial partnerships, Judy Ward, gives out her email address and tells pre-order customers to contact her “about your (now cancelled) order, payments, refunds etc. and what they will do for you”.

We have worked with Sony PlayStation for more than 10 years to bring you some of the best video game collectibles and have been trying hard to get them to change their mind

They know you have paid your hard-earned money for items that are ready to ship to you or that are in production but unfortunately, after doing all that we can, they have told us not to ship your orders to you – ‘our business priorities remain unchanged’, a recent direct quote from Sony.

It adds:

:We remember Sony PlayStation’s old tagline that they are ‘for the players’, but given their recent decision that they know adversely affects those in the collecting community willing to spend more on Sony PlayStation merchandise than an actual console, we are now not so sure.”

It should be noted that Sony has not delivered its side of the story yet, and as such it’s not yet clear why it decided to end the partnership

Gaming Heads seem to have washed their hands of any responsibility toward their customers with no mention of refunds from themselves, just that they “sincerely apologize” for the problems. When customers further enquired about the response of Gaming Heads in the resulting thread on Facebook, they were told the company would “do all that we can” but once again referred them to Sony for refunds.
It also namechecks PlayStation’s group manager of commercial partnerships, Judy Ward, gives out her email address and tells pre-order customers to contact her “about your (now cancelled) order, payments, refunds etc. and what they will do for you”.
I'm sure this will go well.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Taking money from people for products you are not licensed to sell is the fault of the person you didn't get a license from because ....... ?

I need the answer to this, NOW! Because what else is there to say?

Topher

Gold Member
Something isn't right here. The company selling the product is telling their customers to talk to Sony about refunds?

Taking money from people for products you are not licensed to sell is the fault of the person you didn't get a license from because ....... ?

Wait.....this company is selling unlicensed products from Sony's IP? Where is this info coming from?

Last edited:
It should be noted that Sony has not delivered its side of the story yet, and as such it’s not yet clear why it decided to end the partnership
e.g. would be "funny" if the whole situation escalated because too many people were already complaining about their products to Sony support and any Sony contact anyone can find somewhere, for some quality, communication whatever reason, and Sony now pulled the cord and ended any license agreement- maybe within the contractual agreed short timelines.
Merch stuff generally should be easy money, so something must be very off in the partnership. Rallying your customers to take your sides might be a natural response but also rather odd to actually do it without explaining what went down in the partenrship.
No admitting in doing anything wrong, no explaining what Sony accused them off, just they stopped it for no reason and direct your anger at them?
Maybe Sony is just an ungrateful dick here though, but leaving everything that open feels weird.

Fools idol

Banned
reading between the lines here it would seem that someone was not willing to pay SONY's increased rate to sell liscenced products?

Tripolygon

Banned
This has been written in such a weird way. It seems there is some contractual problems and they have no way to go after Sony legally so now they turn to the Twitter mob. They even direct people to harass a single individual.
Edit: This definitely stinks
I find this oddly funny.

Customer: I gave you money for a product

Company: Yea but Sony though, ask Sony about your money

Customer: But I didn't give Sony any money, I gave it to you

Company: Yea I totally understand you, but Sony is bad, Sony hurt customers so ask Sony for your money

Customer: But I didn't pay Sony any money, I paid you

Company: 🤷‍♂️✌️

Tripolygon

Banned
Hmm, this company seems a bit shady.

Yea this is very fishy. Just reading the replies to customers is cringy and they weirdly capitalize SONY as if they want to make the customers believe their business was with Sony and not them.
Sony.jpg

Topher

Gold Member
Yea this is very fishy. Just reading the replies to customers is cringy and they weirdly capitalize SONY as if they want to make the customers believe their business was with Sony and not them.
Sony.jpg

I don't get how they think this bullshit "talk to Sony" campaign is going to work. These people don't have Sony receipts. They have Gaming Head receipts.

This company sounds shady AF. I can understand Sony put them in a shitty situation but we dont know the whole story. Im betting 99% all preorder money is gone and spent and they couldnt refund even if they wanted to.

I think you are right. More than likely they don't have the cash to issue refunds. I think this company is flat-out lying, frankly.

Topher

Gold Member
This is the head sculpt of Ellie from them. Yea I can see why Sony wants them to destroy it.

383346923_3461500647446829_2535923576699659315_n.jpg

That thing cost $650????

5heFAAG.png

CuNi

I wonder if charge backs are possible in this situation as they are clearly and publicly saying they won't and can't honor already paid contracts.

And since this is the US, I can smell the class action lawsuit brewing.

I’m going to give Sony the benefit of the doubt, not because a company would be incapable of doing this, but because it would be so cartoonishly villainous to receive the money and then order the product to be destroyed.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I find this oddly funny.

Company: Yea I totally understand you, but Sony is bad, Sony hurt customers so ask Sony for your money

Yeah, they definitely have the obligation to customers in their end, if they took the money they can't shift the responsibility on Sony (they can still blame Sony for possibly breaching contract, if applicable, but that's a different thing). This is probably also written in consumer laws.

FeralEcho

I find this oddly funny.

Real time video of Gaming Heads custommer support replying to their customers...

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
That thing cost $650????

5heFAAG.png

Probably cost them $10 to manufacture in a factory in Zhejiang.

Thief1987

They are always taking money upfront, and they have many of orders without any limits, but it seems that they just can't make many of these figurines at the same time. So in result they are very slow at fulfilling orders with many customers waiting for literally years. There was one person in the tweet chain who said that he is waiting for his figurine since 2018. I think Sony already had plenty of complaints from angry people in their address hence this radical measure.

Top Bottom