• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Statue maker Gaming Heads claims Sony told it to destroy all PlayStation themed stock

SaucyJack

Something isn't right here. The company selling the product is telling their customers to talk to Sony about refunds?

Wait.....this company is selling unlicensed products from Sony's IP? Where is this info coming from?

It says a 10 year relationship. Are we sure it’s not licensed?

Did you just make that up or do you have a source for this claim ("unlicensed")?

OK, I made an assumption.

BUT if this company had a current valid licensing agreement then this situation would not be possible, contracts protect both parties. So in all likelihood (my assumption again) the previous licensing agreement has either expired or been terminated by Sony in accordance with the terms of the contract.

And as other posters have noted the idea that customers go to Sony is nuts and is not going to fly.

Kikorin

This is the head sculpt of Ellie from them. Yea I can see why Sony wants them to destroy it.

383346923_3461500647446829_2535923576699659315_n.jpg

But still better than Ellie from the TV series.

DeaDPo0L84

Gamingheads is absolute shit. I have collected high end statues for quite some time and the few times I've dealt with them it was a horrible experience.

Actual product never comes close to the prototype. They take forever and a day to actually ship a product. With that said I'll be very curious to hear what the reasoning is behind this.

Prime 1 is a newer and much more reliable company when it comes to high end collectibles. They also make a lot of Playstation Statues so I'm wondering they're giving them exclusive rights.

I have their Witcher and Alien Statues currently and they are 👌
3XyBPpb.jpg

SaintALia

I am going to assume they do not have an attorney that advised them to post this tweet.
I don't think they are doing anything illegal though.

They had a license with Sony, it expired and Sony likely chose not to extend/renew it, you then get the standard cease and desist and destroy all stock when that stuff expires.

So the company was likely too slow in fulfilling orders, and can't get Sony to at least allow them to fulfill orders they already have(or they cannot and trying to shift all blame to Sony), so their hail-mary tactic seems to be in weaponising their fanbase/gamers in pressuring Sony to acquiesce(bold move cotton and all that). Must have been a pretty firm "NO" on that contract renewal from Sony and they won't or can't do refunds, so Sony acquiescing was never in their plans to begin with and is simply a way of shifting blame without having to do refunds; "it's not out fault, we WANT to give you these sweet ass figures, but Sony's a dick, blame them.....also don't ask about no refund..."

It is pretty slimy putting that woman's name and email out there like that given what's coming if they were successful in that tactic.

bitbydeath

They are always taking money upfront, and they have many of orders without any limits, but it seems that they just can't make many of these figurines at the same time. So in result they are very slow at fulfilling orders with many customers waiting for literally years. There was one person in the tweet chain who said that he is waiting for his figurine since 2018. I think Sony already had plenty of complaints from angry people in their address hence this radical measure.
This makes the most sense, given what is known.

poodaddy

Gamingheads is absolute shit. I have collected high end statues for quite some time and the few times I've dealt with them it was a horrible experience.

Actual product never comes close to the prototype. They take forever and a day to actually ship a product. With that said I'll be very curious to hear what the reasoning is behind this.

Prime 1 is a newer and much more reliable company when it comes to high end collectibles. They also make a lot of Playstation Statues so I'm wondering they're giving them exclusive rights.

I have their Witcher and Alien Statues currently and they are 👌
3XyBPpb.jpg
Those are absolutely outstanding. Good shipping and customer communication? What's their pricing like?

Astray

Gold Member
I am going to assume they do not have an attorney that advised them to post this tweet.
As someone who's married to a lawyer and regularly gets exposed to lawyer talk and logic, I can tell you that's definitely not true.

If it was it would be far more boring.

DeaDPo0L84

Those are absolutely outstanding. Good shipping and customer communication? What's their pricing like?
They have an official site where you can order and it ships from Japan, or places like Sideshow and the like carry most of their products. Communication is pretty good, but again they are based in Japan so depending on when you email them it could be a couple days before they get back to you.

Pricing will obviously vary, both of the statues I posted are 1:3 scale, the big chap was $1,700, Geralt was $1,500, but they are both the deluxe version so they typically have a slightly cheaper version with less swap outs.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well, someone is fucking up. Licensing deals have criteria in place like sales, royalties, expiration/renewal date etc...

If Sony is abruptly cutting of GH, either Sony is being dicks cutting them off for no good reason, or GH doing something stupid against the licensing TOS and Sony had rights to cancel.

That's not how a consumer contract of sale works at all, refund lies with the company taking the cash.

If Sony were paid for licensing and pulled the pin after the fact, fuck them. If Gaming Heads are lying or shady or refuse refunds no matter what, fuck them. Hopefully some clarity comes to light soon.

Poor consumers. Quick....

b0f56c0a-c21f-4861-8ec8-d17fcb1e9fc7_text.gif

I know it's consumer laws more so than regulators, but hey don't ruin a shit joke.

Last edited:
As others have suggested, likely the company already spent the pre order money and don't have anything to give back to customers. I wonder if this is a dire, potential bankruptcy moment for them.

Last edited:

Impotaku

I thought if you put a deposit down for a preorder & you cancel then that's down on you and you lose it. However if they can't fulfil a preorder placed then they have zero reason for keeping your deposit cash it should be refunded.

No idea how much you would be having to hand over for a deposit but if it was me i'd be hitting up my credit card company and inititaing a chargeback.

Top Bottom