• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Appears To Be Winding Down Production Of Certain Switch Games

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Because Nintendo are assholes.
video games news GIF by NowThis

StereoVsn

you only continue to print games that stores are buying. If stores no longer sell the games then there is no reason to manufacture them.

This is basic supply and demand.
Donkey Kong US version sold over 1K copies on Amazon last month. So clearly it is selling something at least.

I think this is your regular. Nintendo strategy. They just don’t keep physical copies on the shelf for whatever reason.

And it actually makes sense as well due to decent resale value and no internal storage to speak of.

I am about 80% physical personally on the Switch.
Yeah, exactly. Same for me and my group of friends, but it doesn't really have any relevance to these 1P games getting "out of print" all of the sudden so I just didn't mention it lol. Some people implying that they don't stock/order them anymore because it doesn't sell aka "supply and demand, look at me, I'm so smart" is frankly absurd, especially since we're talking about some evergreen titles like Switch Sport and Super Mario Odyssey.

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yeah, exactly. Same for me and my group of friends, but it doesn't really have any relevance to these 1P games getting "out of print" all of the sudden so I just didn't mention it lol. Some people implying that they don't stock/order them anymore because it doesn't sell aka "supply and demand look at me and I'm so smart" is frankly absurd, especially since we're talking about some evergreen titles like Switch Sport and Super Mario Odyssey.
Yeah, these two are quite strange to be on this list, and especially Odyssey being the only 3D Mario game for the platform.

And 3D Mario sells as evergreen just like you said. I am really hoping this isn’t an indicator of no physical BC for Switch 2 because the would be quite the downer.

Yeah, these two are quite strange to be on this list, and especially Odyssey being the only 3D Mario game for the platform.

And 3D Mario sells as evergreen just like you said. I am really hoping this isn’t an indicator of no physical BC for Switch 2 because the would be quite the downer.
That's what I'm frankly scared of, and Nintendo has been very quiet on the backwards compatibility front... We'll have to wait and see I guess.

Relax chum
I'm relaxed lol.

The Switch itself is winding down, so I'm not surprised some of these older titles (many of which have been 'replaced' by sequels IE Pikmin 4, Splatoon 3 etc.) might cease production. I assume many of these will return in some sort of budget line, but for some niche titles it's perfectly justified IMO to only have them available digitally. They've been in stores for years. You can't expect them to be around forever. This is normal for any console.

I don't think this necessarily says anything about the Switch 2's BC either. If it has BC they want to sell you these games directly. If it's not, they want to sell you a Switch 1 and these games directly. Nintendo has nothing to gain from scarcity and they don't benefit from the secondary market. There must be another reason for this decision.

peronmls

Full list of 1st party physical games that seemingly have gone out of print in the NA market (Nintendeal info):

1) Paper Mario: The Origami King

2) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)

4) Pikmin 3 Deluxe

5) Metroid Dread

6) Kirby Star Allies

7) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

8) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

9) Fire Emblem: Three Houses

10) Fire Emblem: Engage

11) Yoshi's Crafted World

12) WarioWare: Get it Together!

13) Nintendo Switch Sports

14) Super Mario Odyssey

15) Splatoon 2

16) Super Mario Maker 2

17) Mario Strikers: Battle League

Hopefully they'll restock them as Nintendo Selects or something like that, but the whole thing is a bit sus.
Oh boy. $500 dollar resell. I guess I’ll get dread. They can keep their Mario and Zelda crap.

Okay, go out and find a copy and report back.
Or maybe try reading the second sentence of my post. You can’t miss it, it’s literally right after the one you bolded in a failed attempt to “get me”.

I’m not doing homework for you. I don’t work for you, bro.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Or maybe try reading the second sentence of my post. You can’t miss it, it’s literally right after the one you bolded in a failed attempt to “get me”.

Or maybe you could have left that out, since you clearly don't know what you're talking about.

How about that.

Last edited:
Or don't even say that if you're going to second guess yourself, since there's no point to the first statement if you're not even sure of yourself and clearly talking out of your ass. How about that.
Thanks for the life coaching in a video game forum. No, I don’t think I’ll take any of your suggestions, though. Maybe grow up? Up to you. Couldn’t care less.

Last edited:

kiphalfton

Thanks for the life coaching in a video game forum. No, I don’t think I’ll take any of your suggestions, though. Maybe grow up? Up to you

Not sure how asking you to substantiate or back up something you say is negative. You do you though.

Last edited:

Sojiro

It’s far more likely they’re just reprinting for a Nintendo Selects/ Player’s Choice line. The system is 7 years old and it’s about time to flip that switch for some of the older games to give them a second life and increase old catalogue software sales while they prepare the next console.
Yeah I think this is likely the case too, I don't see them pulling some evergreen sellers just for shits and giggles, guess we'll see though.

Hohenheim

So.. you guys think some of these titles be super expensive in a few years, like stuff like original Paper Mario Thousand year door on the Gamecube etc?

Last edited:

MrA

Banned
Everyone takes games out of print.
New copies of bloodborne , the order 1886, gravity rush 2 and the last guardian aren't available new anymore
Demons souls seems to out of print as well
This is why I like both digital and physical

Ozzie666

Imagine this site in the 80's at the height of Nintendo's control and iron fist business tactics including price fixing, artifical supply and demands, inventory control and how they treated third parties.
It would be glorious.

This is a nothing burger.

Emedan

Ah shit, I wanted a few of those, seem to be unavailable in many stores in Sweden too, others have low stock.

This is certainly not new. Games such as Octopath Traveler and Xenoblade 2 have been out of print for a while.

That said, this could potentially be confirmation that Switch 2 will not have a game card slot.

spons

Gold Member
Odd that the situation in Europe is so wildly different. Xenoblade 2 for example is widely available.

Chastten

Banned
So.. you guys think some of these titles be super expensive in a few years, like stuff like original Paper Mario Thousand year door on the Gamecube etc?
A couple of games will probably rise in price a bit, but the situation is nothing like the GameCube.

A lot of the (now) valuable games on GameCube sold in the 10's or maybe 100's of thousands. Most of these games on Switch have sold millions and are readily available on the eshop.

tr1p1ex

They always do this with a few titles. Pretty sure ARMS has been "out of print" for awhile now.

Partly it rewards those who buy and keep their games.

Also almost always done with poorer selling titles so it's an inventory management thing as well for retail.

Nowadays "out of print" doesn't mean much given the games are still in digital stores.

I saw that longer list but ...skeptical it is accurate.

Last edited:
Yeah, you're right. It was not the best example, but the point is that digital games get delisted all the time so it's not just an issue with physical games.
Tha happens more on Xbox. I couldn't believe when I got a series x that both splinter cells, both bad companies, silent hill dp mortal kombat 9 and others all gone from the store for no reason. I had to hunt them as disc's. Something these companies want to get rid of. I really hope Nintendo isn't ditching the carts.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Full list of 1st party physical games that seemingly have gone out of print in the NA market (Nintendeal info):

1) Paper Mario: The Origami King

2) Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

3) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (2019)

4) Pikmin 3 Deluxe

5) Metroid Dread

6) Kirby Star Allies

7) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

8) New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe

9) Fire Emblem: Three Houses

10) Fire Emblem: Engage

11) Yoshi's Crafted World

12) WarioWare: Get it Together!

13) Nintendo Switch Sports

14) Super Mario Odyssey

15) Splatoon 2

16) Super Mario Maker 2

17) Mario Strikers: Battle League

Hopefully they'll restock them as Nintendo Selects or something like that, but the whole thing is a bit sus.
This is somewhat accurate. 10 really surprises me as that launched barely 2-years ago. Same with Metroid: Dread. A few of these I know are still in a local gaming retailer quite frequently. Paper Mario: The Origami King sucks to hear it's going oop. Don't have it yet and wasn't planning on spending more than it's regular retail pricing.

Wife brought Mario Maker 2 as a gift a few weeks back. She said she checked 3 stores before finding it. Not sure if that's an indicator of oop status but scarcity at retailers often can sometimes drive sales too. Last one I'll mention is Link's Awakening. Seems to have vanished around where I am about a year ago.

Mr Hyde

I have every game I want on that list except Yoshi's Crafted World, but it seems it's readily available here where I live so in no rush to get it. Sucks that Nintendo is halting production though, their physical editions still sell a boat load of copies.

Top Bottom