• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

physical games are dead, long live physical games

Kupfer

After taking over Go_Ly_Dow Go_Ly_Dow 's poll dedicated to physical games, primarily utilized for exchanging information about new physical releases and showcasing our latest acquisitions, I've decided to follow the idea of Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives by initiating a separate thread specifically dedicated to this purpose.

Here, we can stay updated and share insights regarding the latest physical releases.

I'll strive to maintain this post's relevance by keeping it as up-to-date as possible, providing you with a concise overview of available releases we share here. However, I do reserve the discretion to omit listing widely available games found in numerous stores.

Everyone is encouraged to share their recent finds and highlight new physical releases from various publishers.

To kick things off, I'll share some games I've either preordered or plan to preorder in the near future.

Brotato PS5 Deluxe Edition
The Talos Principle 2 (Devolver Deluxe) PS5
Pentiment PS5 / Switch / Xbox
Baldur's Gate 3 Deluxe Edition PS5 / PC / Xbox
Pacific Drive Deluxe Edition PS5

and Stellar Blade of course - which makes me very surprised that there has been no mention of a collector's or limited edition.
I'm afraid that we'll have to make do with a standard version of the game

Games from the replies that are unlikely to be found in retail stores sorted by appearance in this thread:

TSUKIHIME: A piece of blue glass moon: Limited Edition (PS4/Switch)
Tokyo Psychodemic (PS4/PS5 & Switch)
Fate/stay Night Remastered (Switch)
Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition (Switch)
PARADISE KILLER (PS4/PS5/Xbox/Switch)
Blasphemous 2 Collector's Edition (PS5 & Switch)
Fantavision 202X Deluxe Edition (PS5)
Dave the Diver: Anniversary Edition (Switch) (Use Coupon LGN2024 for 5% off.)
OMORI Collector's Edition (Switch & PS4)
BABA IS YOU (Switch)
Rugrats: Adventures in Gameland (Switch/PS4/5/Xbox/NES)
Horror Tales: The Beggar (PS5)
Grandia HD Collection (PS4 & Xbox)
Eden Genesis (PS5/Xbox/Switch)
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Legends of the Zone Trilogy (PS4)
Rusted Moss (PS5 & Switch)
Hyper Light Drifter Special Edition (Switch)
Citizen Sleeper (Switch)
Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon (PS4/Xbox)
A Space for the Unbound - Special Edition (PS4/PS5/Switch)
Dorfromantik (Switch)
Inner Ashes Limited Edition (PS5)
The Stanley Parable: Ultra Deluxe Collector's Edition (PS5/Switch)
System Shock Remastered (PS5/Xbox)
TEVI (PS5/Switch)
Metro Awakening (PS5)
Lost Epic (PS5/Switch)

As an addition, here is an overview of DoesItPlay.
This website shows at a glance how many and which games actually work without an internet connection.
This picture shows the roughest data:

iIikPlI.jpg

I will update it from time to time, but for the latest entries, more detail about each game and figures visit:
https://www.doesitplay.org/

Thanks to Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives for this suggestion, which adds significant value to this thread.

Last edited:
Thanks for making this thread Kupfer Kupfer ! You've done a great job with it!

I'll return here later today to share some new physical game releases I'm excited to pick up this year.

TSUKIHIME: A piece of blue glass moon: Limited Edition (PS4/Switch) - US Only as Aniplex hasn't confirmed a European release yet.
Tokyo Psychodemic (PS4/PS5 & Switch) - JP and Asia only physical release. Pre-orders available through PlayAsia.
Fate/stay Night Remastered (Switch) - JP and Asia only physical release. Pre-orders available through PlayAsia
Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition (Switch) - Availability later this year through iam8bit (apparently we might be getting some news later this week regarding this physical release đź‘€)
PARADISE KILLER (PS4/PS5/Xbox/Switch) - It received a physical release earlier this month and it's still up for grabs directly from Serenity Forge or from other American retailers like Amazon.

Last edited:

keraj37

Great idea.
I would love to find which PSVR2 games are going to have disc releases. I buy almost all of them and I will never buy digital ever again.

I will be editing this post with updated list of PSVR2 game physical releases.

Here is my humble PSVR2 game collection if you are interested:
7w1QtGK.jpg

I plan to buy in March:
Vertigo 2
Hubris

EDIT:
Added to the collection (still sealed, since I play something else now, but soon I will play these games)
jGeMAwl.jpg

Last edited:

Kupfer

Great idea.
I would love to find which PSVR2 games are going to have disc releases. I buy almost all of them and I will never buy digital ever again.

I'd be interested in that list as well!
I sent Vertigo Games a request weeks ago asking if there were any plans to release the Metro VR game as a physical version.
Unfortunately no answer so far. I would love to have the worthwhile VR games on disc as well.
So far I've only bought Star Wars Tales from the Galaxy's Edge.
An overview of PSVR2 games that have been and will be released on disc would be great

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

Great idea.

7w1QtGK.jpg

I plan to buy in March:
Vertigo 2
Hubris
How is tennis on court? Ive been meaning to pick it up but theres a marked lack of reviews and impressions.

Go_Ly_Dow

Good idea!

So far this year I've picked up:

-Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth on PS5 via Shopto (UK) - ÂŁ51.85 currently.
-Star Ocean Second Story R on PS5 via Hit (UK) - ÂŁ31.49 currently.
-Star Ocean The Divine Force on PS5 via Hit (UK) - ÂŁ19.49 currently. - not playing until I have nothing else to play, but it was too cheap!
-Final Fantasy VII Rebirth on PS5 via Gamesoldseparately (UK) - ÂŁ54.75 currently. - I've never used this site before but the TrustPilot reviews are really good.

Over the rest of the year I'll be grabbing Stellar Blade, Persona 3 Reload, Metaphor and I'm sure some others too.

Also I recommend getting this extension for Chrome, as it automatically brings other sites where you can pick up the same item/game for cheaper prices if available. It's saved me a lot of money when online shopping and exposed me to alternative sites outside of the norm, Amazon etc...

Last edited:

keraj37

How is tennis on court? Ive been meaning to pick it up but theres a marked lack of reviews and impressions.
I played maybe 20 mins so far since I was focused on othe titles, but what I have seen so far is a game that looks nice and requires real strenght to be applied to your serves and hits which is not to good for me since I am scared of hiting objects in my room with force.

Last edited:
Great idea.

7w1QtGK.jpg

I plan to buy in March:
Vertigo 2
Hubris
Nice PSVR2 collection! Oh and not sure if you're interested, but Red Art games have released a limited print of Fantavision 202X. đź‘€ Might be worth picking that one up for your PSVR2 collection.

Finally, iam8bit has announced the physical release for Outer Wilds: Archaeologist Edition. Pleasantly surprised to see that it's coming not only for the Switch but for the PS5 as well!

And the best part is that's receiving a retailer release, too. Really made my day. :p

wz0Wln7.png

GHcL6iHX0AAgZG5

Oh and today I also received these 3 Fire Emblem games on Switch, with one of them apparently being the Australian release instead of the European one, and ofc that it has that ugly rating logo on it. Oh well... I guess I'll have to get over it. :p

20240228_151057.jpg

Last edited:
Just announced a few hours ago. Dave the Diver will receive a physical release on Nintendo Switch (other platforms are TBD).

We are excited to announce the release of a physical version for the Nintendo Switch!
This includes a special collaboration only available with the physical edition, so check out the video!
* Pre-order date will be announced soon!

And now plushies of Dave and Bancho are available from the Goodsmile company!

Doom85

So far this year I’ve gotten (for PS5) on physical disc:

Banishers: Ghosts of New Eden
Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Lies of P
Metal Gear Solid: Master Collection Vol. 1
Persona 3 Reload
Wanted: Dead
Yakuza: Like a Dragon and Like a Dragon: Infinite Wealth

Will be picking up Final Fantasy VII Rebirth this weekend, and I’ve got my order for the physical CE of Baldur’s Gate 3 paid for, IIRC the website said to expect it sometime this summer.

For March, I’ve got my eyes on Rise of the Ronin, Dragon’s Dogma 2, Princess Peach: Showtime, and Alone in the Dark remake.

Kupfer

Just announced a few hours ago. Dave the Diver will receive a physical release on Nintendo Switch (other platforms are TBD).

Nice, it's so good when you don't have to have everything straight away and some games still manage to be released on disc afterwards. PS5 version will be bought.
Jusant and Cocoon next please :D

I don't like physical games. What's the point of buying a disc if I'm going to have a 30GB download anyway. Also hate having to swap discs. Usually only get physicals games if they're special editions.
Here is not the place to discuss this topic. There are other threads for that, also linked in the original post.
This is a place for lovers of physical games, period.
It would be nice if this was taken into consideration before posting.

Last edited:
Does Fantavision still come with the reversible PS2 boxart?
Yep, it comes with a PS2 inspired reversible cover, and a double-sided poster (with one side inspired by the Japanese PlayStation 2 version’s manual).

fantavision-202x-ps5-deluxe-edition.jpg

If you're from North America the folks at VGP still have the game in stock. If you're from Europe you can buy the game from Red Art Games.

Note that I'm not certain if the ESRB release includes the reversible cover, but the PEGI one should have it.

Last edited:

CashPrizes

Last normal retail game I bought physically was The Witcher 3 on PC. It came with a map and someother stuff, but no game disc, just a code.
Haven't bought a physical game that wasn't a collectors edition since.

And really have only bought a few Collectors editions. And even some of those don't come with a game disc (the last 2 World of Warcraft expansion collector editions didn't. Which is total BS, if I am paying a big premium to have some crazy limited edition of the game, but a damn disc and a Jewel case with cool art in there. Must only cost them 2-3 bucks total in production costs.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Question. Nowadays when you get a physical copy of a game but still have to install it...is it still subject to DRM if the developer/publisher decides it should be?

Question. Nowadays when you get a physical copy of a game but still have to install it...is it still subject to DRM if the developer/publisher decides it should be?
Yes with some titles, but it says right on the box if the physical game you're intending on purchasing has any form of DRM, like for example online requirement, mandatory download or god forbid the need to sign up for a 3rd party service in order to play your single-player game like it was with some Bethesda published titles (e.g. Doom Eternal).

s-l1600.jpg

That said, check the OP, there's a link to doesitplay where they test games to inform customers of the things you've touched upon in your post (e.g. offline play, DRM, mandatory download, etc.)

icnGLT1.png

But just to be clear, the majority of physical single player games on PS5, PS4, Switch and even on Xbox do not have mandatory downloads, always online, 3rd party accounts as requirements. On PS4/PS5 you don't even need a PSN account, just a local one; install your SP games from the disc and then you're good to go. Or better yet on Switch, where all you have to do is insert the game card and then you're ready to go.

Last edited:
I didn't know BABA IS YOU got a physical release, just found out when I was browsing through www.fangamer.com.
ZalkvF2.png

The game is great, on the Deck it regularly gives me headaches, the good kind of headaches.
Yeah, it received a physical release for the Switch, but only in North America so you'll have to import it (same with Omori lol). Wish fangamer would be more consistent with the distribution of their physical releases since we're still big here in Europe on them, and dare I say more so than our friends from across the pond. :p

I think one of these days I'll have to find time to place a big order for a bunch of North American imports that are currently on my wishlist because the list just keeps getting longer. :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Oh and since you've posted your 3 physical copies of The Talos Principle, here's mine, but it's a bit beaten up (the box cover that is as the disc is fine). :p

Px4XqP9.png

Last edited:

Looks like May 30th for the Dave the Diver Switch physical!

Arc System Works America, Inc. has announced the physical package release of DAVE THE DIVER Anniversary Edition, arriving on Nintendo Switch May 30th. Players can now pre-order the game on the official site and select retailers.

vzneeoJ.png

Last edited:

StereoVsn

Yes with some titles, but it says right on the box if the physical game you're intending on purchasing has any form of DRM, like for example online requirement, mandatory download or god forbid the need to sign up for a 3rd party service in order to play your single-player game like it was with some Bethesda published titles (e.g. Doom Eternal).

s-l1600.jpg

That said, check the OP, there's a link to doesitplay where they test games to inform customers of the things you've touched upon in your post (e.g. offline play, DRM, mandatory download, etc.)

icnGLT1.png

But just to be clear, the majority of physical single player games on PS5, PS4, Switch and even on Xbox do not have mandatory downloads, always online, 3rd party accounts as requirements. On PS4/PS5 you don't even need a PSN account, just a local one; install your SP games from the disc and then you're good to go. Or better yet on Switch, where all you have to do is insert the game card and then you're ready to go.
One caveat with Xbox is that you have to be careful with the Xbox and most games that were cross gen. They usually only had Xbox One version, necessitating a full download.

Top Bottom