• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK Boxed Charts: Week 3, 2024 (Jan 14 - Jan 20)

The latest UK boxed charts are in and we have been treated to a handful of new releases this week which have started to shake up the standings.

Yes, Hogwarts Legacy and EA Sports FC 24 once again claim gold and silver, but Prince of Persia: The Lost Crown has slashed its way into number four with 38% of sales coming from the Switch. The PS5's The Last of Us Part II: Remastered snatches the bronze, also in its debut week.

You will have to scroll for a while to find Nintendo's first big release of the year, Another Code: Recollection, which makes its grand entry to the charts at number 21. Seeing the remaster of the cult classic fall so low is hardly a surprise, but what is slightly more eyebrow-raising is to see Mario Kart 8 Deluxe almost skid out of the top ten for the first time in a good while (worry not, it still clings on to the 10th spot).

Here's your look at this week's top 40 in full, with platform breakdowns for all of the titles available on other consoles alongside the Switch:

Last WeekThis WeekGamePlatform Split
21Hogwarts LegacyPS5 41%, Switch 20%, PS4 16%, Xbox One 14%
12EA Sports FC 24PS5 42%, PS4 26%, Switch 20%, Xbox Series 12%
NEW3The Last of Us Part II: Remastered
NEW4Prince of Persia: The Lost CrownPS5 49%, Switch 38%, Xbox Series 8%, PS4 5%
35Mortal Kombat 1PS5 73%, Xbox Series 17%, Switch 9%
56Super Mario Bros. Wonder
67Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III
48Mortal Kombat 11 UltimatePS5 56%, PS4 42%, Xbox Series 2%, Switch 1%
349LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker SagaSwitch 51%, PS5 26%, PS4 21%, Xbox Series 1%
710Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
811Grand Theft Auto V
912Marvel's Spider-Man 2
1013It Takes TwoPS4 55%, Switch 45%, Xbox Series 0%
1214Minecraft
1615Cyberpunk 2077
1316Animal Crossing: New Horizons
1517Nintendo Switch Sports
1418The Witcher III: Wild Hunt Complete Edition
-19Dead Space
-20Sonic SuperstarsSwitch 40%, PS5 37%, Xbox Series 13%, PS4 10%
-21Another Code: Recollection
2322The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
2623Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit - RemasteredSwitch 100%, Xbox One 0%, PS4 0%
2224Red Dead Redemption 2
1125Star Wars Jedi: Survivor
2726WreckfestPS5 98%, Switch 2%
2927Bluey: The VideogameSwitch 81%, PS5 8%, PS4 7%, Xbox Series 4%
3628Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy - Definitive EditionPS4 45%, Switch 33%, Xbox Series 22%
3129Elden Ring
3230Red Dead RedemptionPS4 56%, Switch 44%
2831Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
3332Mario Party Superstars
2433Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
-34Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
3035Pokémon Violet
-36Robocop: Rogue City
-37Super Mario Odyssey
1738The Witcher III: Wild Hunt GOTY Edition
-39Just Dance 2023 EditionSwitch 87%, Xbox Series 8%, PS5 5%
3940LEGO Harry Potter CollectionSwitch 69%, PS4 24%, Xbox One 7%

[Sales Data Compiled by GfK]

So that answers the question, "Who even asked for TLOU 2 Remastered!!!!" lol
Yeah, I'm honestly quite surprised (in a positive way) that it sold this well at retail; better than even a new multi-platform release like Prince of Persia. Not to mention that most fans probably picked the £/€/$10 upgrade option.

Personally, I'll grab a physical copy a few months from now as I want it on the shelf next to TLOU Part 1.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, I'm honestly quite surprised (in a positive way) that it sold this well at retail; better than even a new multi-platform release like Prince of Persia. Not to mention that most fans probably picked the £/€/$10 upgrade option.

Personally, I'll grab a physical copy a few months from now as I want it on the shelf next to TLOU Part 1.
TLOU is one of the hottest IPs right now. It was always going to sell well.

willothedog

GFK dont track sales via online stores like shopto/gamecollection which are usually cheaper so this data for boxed is way off and without actual sales numbers is kind of pointless.

Also easy to manipulate by publishers buying say 100 copies of their own game which should get them a spot in the charts (like what used to happen in the UK Top 40 singles).

Last edited:

Tsaki

The Last of Us seems to have sold quite well considering it's only on PS5 and compared to Prince of Persia which had good reviews and is on pretty much every gaming platform out there. This obviously doesn't count the upgrades done by previous Part 2 owners.
Looking at those physical platform %, betting that Nextbox will release without support for physical media would not be far fetched.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
We did, but this is UK boxed charts. So this doesn't include the $10 upgrades. These are all the people who instead bought the PS5 disc version from stores.

Considering it outsold Prince of Persia, which is a multiplatform game on Xbox, PS, and Nintendo, TLOU 2 PS5 already seems like a big hit.

The Last of Us seems to have sold quite well considering it's only on PS5 and compared to Prince of Persia which had good reviews and is on pretty much every gaming platform out there. These obviously doesn't count the upgrades done by previous Part 2 owners.
Looking at those physical platform %, betting that Nextbox will release without support for physical media would not be far fetched.
And I'm enjoying PoP alot. I never finished TLoU 2, so getting the remaster was an easy decision for me.

Both of these games being this high is nice.

How many units were sold?
Enough to have it 3rd and ahead of PoP.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Kerotan

We did, but this is UK boxed charts. So this doesn't include the $10 upgrades. These are all the people who instead bought the PS5 disc version from stores.

Considering it outsold Prince of Persia, which is a multiplatform game on Xbox, PS, and Nintendo, TLOU 2 PS5 already seems like a big hit.
It's such a good game though. I'm so happy they future proofed it as well for ps5 pro and ps6. This current version will run at 4k 120fps some day which is amazing.

Why did they made an exception by selling Part 2 50€ instead of 80€ like Part 1 in Europe? Isn't the first time Sony sell a new game this low in this gen? Were they afraid the game would bomb at 80€?

Anyways Part 2 did chart well notably thanks to the lowered price. Coincidentally The price Nintendo sell most of their remastered games. Yep there is a crisis in Europe (thanks to US crazy politics) and most people can't afford to buy an old game 80€.

Last edited:
If it were for Xbox we would never see another Prince of Persia game, and on top of that TLOU2 selling above this one is also very good.

PS5 49%, Switch 38%, Xbox Series 8%, PS4 5%

Why did they made an exception by selling Part 2 50€ instead of 80€ like Part 1 in Europe? Isn't the first time Sony sell a new game this low in this gen? Were they afraid the game would bomb at 80€?
Pasrt 1 was an actual remake, with new assets and much higher production costs.

This is literally TLOU2 on PS4 but with higher resolution and framerate. It only has some extra modes.

The games gonna sell for years on end. I think it will end up being in the top 10 of all time will eventually overtake skyrim and witcher 3 at least.
Probably. It is basically a "default game" for any HP fan.

If it were for Xbox we would never see another Prince of Persia game, and on top of that TLOU2 selling above this one is also very good.

PS5 49%, Switch 38%, Xbox Series 8%, PS4 5%
You understand that it is a physical chart no? Probably not :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not a single game sold on PC either it seems.

Reminds me of that time when people were running around with physical split and there were like 1k copies of the game sold physically on PS or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
what difference does it make for people who have never played the game?
Because, as he said, the ground work was already laid for the Part II. Far less production cost = much lower price. It's an old game with "dusting off", while Part I was a completely new project. And ...it shows. Part II still looks fabulous, but the razor sharp textures and updated character models of Part I are not something it matches.

A better question is why would "people never playing the game" mean anything?

People cheering for a 3rd place finish? Even with it releasing at only $50? Wow.

Guys, this is January. Sales aren't going to be great. Hogwarts is almost a year old at this point. How much do you even think it's selling? I also highly doubt a side scrolling PoP is selling gangbusters, either.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
And people fightning for the third place... lol

People cheering for a 3rd place finish? Even with it releasing at only $50? Wow.

Guys, this is January. Sales aren't going to be great. Hogwarts is almost a year old at this point. How much do you even think it's selling? I also highly doubt a side scrolling PoP is selling gangbusters, either.
I know, right? Who even asked for this game?

Flabagast

The share of Xbox series sales generally topping at 12% and going as low as 2% is worrying.

I am wondering whether down the line some third party pubs wont even bother anymore to port their game if they plan for it to not go on Gamepass

ReBurn

Gold Member
I wonder if Super Mario Odyssey is back on the list because people actually believed Nintendo stopped printing it?

Price of Persia costs the same.
Yes, I know. But Prince of Persia is a side scrolling platformer from a franchise that hasn't been big in a LONG time. It's priced accordingly. This is a remaster of of a game in a franchise that some would say is at its heights thanks to the HBO show.

It's telling that Sony priced this at $50, as well, when the GOT remaster launched at $70 and debuted at number one.

Last edited:

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
Yes, I know. But Prince of Persia is a side scrolling platformer from a franchise that hasn't been big in a LONG time. It's priced accordingly. This is a remaster of of a game in a franchise at some would say is at its heights thanks to the HBO show.

It's telling that Sony priced this at $50, as well, when the GOT remaster launched at $70 and debuted at number one.
Please share..... what's telling here?

HeWhoWalks

Gold Member
There's a $10 upgrade dude. There was no $10 for the TLOU 1 remake.
I think he meant Ghost of Tsushima.

Still, what did it debut against is my question. Part II is up against FIFA and Hogwarts (the latter of which has been selling ganbusters since it released). Not exactly a bad place to be for a Remaster of a 4-year-old game with a $10 upgrade option.

I think he meant Ghost of Tsushima.

Still, what did it debut against is my question. Part II is up against FIFA and Hogwarts (the latter of which has been selling ganbusters since it released). Not exactly a bad place to be for a Remaster of a 4-year-old game with a $10 upgrade option.
Ah, my bad. Thought he meant TLOU 1 PS5 Remake which was priced at $70 with no upgrade path to it for existing TLOU 1 PS4 owners.

Last edited:

yazenov

Probably. It is basically a "default game" for any HP fan.

You understand that it is a physical chart no? Probably not :messenger_tears_of_joy: Not a single game sold on PC either it seems.

Reminds me of that time when people were running around with physical split and there were like 1k copies of the game sold physically on PS or something :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I got bad news for you if you think Digital would be different for Xbox. In the 2023 European charts, the XBS sold less software ( digital + physical) than the PS4. Yeah, it's absolutely horrible for MS.

demigod

GFK dont track sales via online stores like shopto/gamecollection which are usually cheaper so this data for boxed is way off and without actual sales numbers is kind of pointless.

Also easy to manipulate by publishers buying say 100 copies of their own game which should get them a spot in the charts (like what used to happen in the UK Top 40 singles).
Bro out here implying Sony buys their own game to become top 10 UK charts. Do you have evidence to back that up, champ?

Killjoy-NL

That's because gaming forums exist in a bubble.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Yes, I know. But Prince of Persia is a side scrolling platformer from a franchise that hasn't been big in a LONG time. It's priced accordingly. This is a remaster of of a game in a franchise that some would say is at its heights thanks to the HBO show.

Oh so this is the new Xbox talking point about TLOU2? Wow, you guys are fast. Don't spend that MS money too fast.

Mr Moose

It has a £10 digital upgrade, the game released 3+ years ago.

willothedog

You didn’t have to, but we know what you implied. Its the same dance from some of you. UK sales don’t matter until your game charts. Like clockwork.
Please do list all my posts made in all the UK chart threads....

I do apologise for trying to apply logic to these broken boxed charts because it does not suit your narrative.

Topher

Gold Member

Sylvester Stallone Facepalm GIF

Top Bottom