• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

State of Play - June 02, 2022

Varteras

Gold Member
:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why is he always so upset about this? Launching first on PS5 and a couple of years later on PC after console sales dry up, is a win-win for Sony.
He's a good guy but he has an unhealthy obsession with Sony maintaining "purity". He thinks the brand will shrivel and vanish if it expands beyond console. Which is, frankly, the opposite of reality. It will become increasingly difficult for the brand to truly thrive if it just stays on console alone with the way the industry is shifting. Also, being on just a console puts the brand at the mercy of that hardware's performance. Expanding the platforms cushions potential failures. But he's the kind of person who believes the soul of PlayStation is found in a box and not in its games.

Varteras

Gold Member
I think RTS games could be a great fit for PSVR2 (and VR in general). Imagine having the entire map in front of you like a board game and using your hands and fingers to control units/buildings.
I could see card games being neat for that kind of stuff too. Like if you lay down the cards and the creatures you've summoned show up in front of you. Then when spells are cast or actions happen they're flashy and right in front of your eyes. The cool shit you could experience with current VR tech hasn't even been thoroughly explored yet.

TheTony316

I could see card games being neat for that kind of stuff too. Like if you lay down the cards and the creatures you've summoned show up in front of you. Then when spells are cast or actions happen they're flashy and right in front of your eyes. The cool shit you could experience with current VR tech hasn't even been thoroughly explored yet.

Playing Magic, Pokemon TGS and Yugioh like this would be dope.

Reminds me of Eye of Judgement.

Varteras

Gold Member
Sad Best Friends GIF by Lisa Vertudaches

SpokkX

Psvr2 stuff for that 2% that care… yay

I hope vr is a 2 min trailer and nothing more

I want to see what comes in 2022 for ps5

nbkicker

Surprising! Sony always waits for Microsoft to go first...
They are , this state of play just mentions third party and vr , i dint think there will be any big hitters shown off here, well not first party games , ill put money sony does a proper hr presentation show at end of june or july

Kokoloko85

They are , this state of play just mentions third party and vr , i dint think there will be any big hitters shown off here, well not first party games , ill put money sony does a proper hr presentation show at end of june or july

Get ready to pay up. Sony probably isnt doing anything till September. They have just lost touch with what shows people want

Kokoloko85

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Why is he always so upset about this? Launching first on PS5 and a couple of years later on PC after console sales dry up, is a win-win for Sony.

Because we want to know what games are coming to PS5. Playstation & PS4 has been succesful for what its been, same as Nintendo. Selling under 1 million copies on PC isnt gonna take them to the next level.

The main fanbase doesnt care about PC because guess what…. They arent PC players. They are Playstation console players. Why would they care?
They’ve want the platform to focus there shows on games that are coming for the PS5. Its really not that hard to understand.

Plus playstation has been pretty shit with there shows since like 2018… they showed nothing new in 2018, just focused on 4 games. 2019 nothing.
2020 got the PS5 reveal and since september 2020 they’ve only showed two 1st party games, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. Compared to there 2014/2015/2016 run its pretty abysmal.

Sony doing their own thing instead of the usual E3 and TGS has been pretty shit

TheTony316

Because we want to know what games are coming to PS5. Playstation & PS4 has been succesful for what its been, same as Nintendo. Selling under 1 million copies on PC isnt gonna take them to the next level.

The main fanbase doesnt care about PC because guess what…. They arent PC players. They are Playstation console players. Why would they care?
They’ve want the platform to focus there shows on games that are coming for the PS5. Its really not that hard to understand.

Plus playstation has been pretty shit with there shows since like 2018… they showed nothing new in 2018, just focused on 4 games. 2019 nothing.
2020 got the PS5 reveal and since september 2020 they’ve only showed two 1st party games, Spiderman 2 and Wolverine. Compared to there 2014/2015/2016 run its pretty abysmal.

Sony doing their own thing instead of the usual E3 and TGS has been pretty shit

That's cool. I'm a PS fan too and i don't care about PC either but what do Sony's PC ports have anything to do with their recent lack of shows? PC versions tend to get randomly announced on social media and don't take up any time during their livestreams. Also, these ports aren't made by Sony directly. God of War and Horizon were ported by external studios.

Sony has been very consistent with their first party output in the last 2 years. It's a far cry from the early PS4 years. I want to see some new stuff too but announcements are ultimately meaningless, if the games take years and years to launch. Just look at Microsoft.

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

That's cool. I'm a PS fan too and i don't care about PC either but what do Sony's PC ports have anything to do with their recent lack of shows? PC versions tend to get randomly announced on social media and don't take up any time during their livestreams. Also, these ports aren't made by Sony directly. God of War and Horizon were ported by external studios.

Sony has been very consistent with their first party output in the last 2 years. It's a far cry from the early PS4 years. I want to see some new stuff too but announcements are ultimately meaningless, if the games take years and years to launch. Just look at Microsoft.

Agreed, I just wish we see more stuff. I cant remember a time we only knew about 2 first party titles.

But yes the exclusives released in the last 2 years has been pretty amazing. Dreams, TLOU2, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Demon Souls, Spiderman MM, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, Guilty Gear, GT7, Horizon 2. Hopefully God of War R, FF16, Forspoken this year too

kyoji

tekken 8 reveal would be sick
Evo my man… evo, i think anyone expecting street fighter or tekken at state of play will be disappointed. I would be very suprised if this happen. Pro Evolution tournament in august, is more appropriate and will also have plenty of eyes on it.

kyoji

I dont get how anyone can say vr is overrated, its literally the next evolution for gaming as the technology advances in the future this is how people will play games.

FingerBang

The lead Combat Designer Ryota Suzuki was lifted from Capcom and is behind the combat in DMCV. This has been known for a while.
Final Fantasy Tactics remastered has been the current rumor.
I did not know that, but from what I heard the game is heavily inspired by modern western action games. I don't know details from the story, but I'd be surprised if there was a party. I imagine there'll be a companion or something similar.
But that then means we'll have 2 action RPGs from Square Enix releasing soon, with Forspoken. I wonder if one will be moved to 2023. Or even both.

I don't remember hearing of FFT, but might be wrong. I have heard of other names which are not numbered entries though obviously have no idea they'll be in this SoP.
I am positive Final Fantasy XVI will be there because I heard an event was a few weeks away, but it is highly likely Square Enix might simply split their announcements between several events. This one might just have exclusive Sony stuff.

TheTony316

Agreed, I just wish we see more stuff. I cant remember a time we only knew about 2 first party titles.

But yes the exclusives released in the last 2 years has been pretty amazing. Dreams, TLOU2, Nioh 2, Ghost of Tsushima, FF7R, Demon Souls, Spiderman MM, Returnal, Ratchet and Clank, Guilty Gear, GT7, Horizon 2. Hopefully God of War R, FF16, Forspoken this year too

We'll see the new stuff eventually. What matters most is a constant flow of good releases and Sony has been doing that since 2016 with first and third party exclusives. I mean, just look at the games you've listed and compare these to the first couple of years of PS4. That's a huge difference in quality and quantity. So, i'm not really worried here.

I would only be content were Jim Ryan to show up, greet the audiance and, before the titles are shown, go: "To our beloved Ree community, please, fuck off! I am here to stay. Thank you, and enjoy the show."...

Last edited:
So you don't think gow2 will be shown?

Doesn’t need to be shown at this event to come out this year. They have done SoPs really close together before. What I’m not expecting is a lengthy GoW gameplay demo at this event. Maybe a quick trailer with the release date but that’s the most that can happen. If it’s anything like HFW they will slowly feed us footage leading up to the games release date.

ToadMan

He's a good guy but he has an unhealthy obsession with Sony maintaining "purity". He thinks the brand will shrivel and vanish if it expands beyond console. Which is, frankly, the opposite of reality. It will become increasingly difficult for the brand to truly thrive if it just stays on console alone with the way the industry is shifting. Also, being on just a console puts the brand at the mercy of that hardware's performance. Expanding the platforms cushions potential failures. But he's the kind of person who believes the soul of PlayStation is found in a box and not in its games.

Yeah remember nintendo before they went out of business following their closed hardware strategy?

Meanwhile Xbox is the dominant market leader having been the first to dump their own hardware and go multiplat.

Perhaps there’s an alternate dimension where the above is true but in this reality Nintendo is doing better than they ever have despite a closed console environment while MS still can’t make money from gaming and rely on diverting incomes from other business units to keep gaming going.

I don’t really care either way - Injust play the games where they are - but it’s not as simple as saying go multiplat and profit.

MS had to do something since they couldn’t go anywhere with Xbox - they’re just not a gaming company.

Nintendo however make games people want to play and they’ll buy the hardware to play them.

Sony is closer to Nintendo than MS. But it also should be remembered that Sony make more money from gaming than MS and Nintendo combined and they’re going for a middle ground - long term exclusives with other platforms getting the crumbs from the table much later.

Is that a good strategy? It’s not clear it will be at all….

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
Cant see them revealing MWII via a state of play even if it is a VR mode, that will come after the main MWII reveal imo. Best foot forward an all that.

Obviously bullshit.

GHound

Gold Member

has this been posted yet? Seems plausible to some extent

Nothing on here for me and it doesn't have anything on it to do with Metal Gear, Silent Hill, Dino Crisis, Dragon's Dogma 2, company acquisitions or the revival of any old IPs we'd never see coming.

I don't think I've ever seen a more convincing fake.

Edit: Other than me.

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: Isa

Belthazar

Psvr2 stuff for that 2% that care… yay

I hope vr is a 2 min trailer and nothing more

I want to see what comes in 2022 for ps5

It seems that way from how they framed it, I think it'll be a smaller segment, lasting around 5 minutes or so. Just a reel of the games coming.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I see this as a good strategy.

It's not like there is any shortage of PS exclusive game. In just the first 4 months, we have got 3 AAA first-party games, and 2 more games as console exclusives. God of War and Frospoken will release in H2 2022. Jim Ryan has confirmed that 2 live-service games are also going to be released in the next 9 months.

So one thing is for sure that the games are absolutely coming. The good news is that we won't have to wait for years after the announcements of most of these games -- which is just so refreshing in today's gaming environment.

Sony can announce 6-8 games (VR + non-VR), and release all of them before 2023 ends. Then hold another show in September 2023 and repeat the cycle. Personally, I'd much prefer this strategy instead of waiting and waiting for years after a game's announcement.

Borowski_1

With no GoW, for me is already a pointless show

they should do something for VR and indies later, not at "E3" when the competition are both putting on big shows

Last edited:

Saber

Gonna be honest, aways though State of Play were a real low tier type of show.

I hope most of you are right, because I really really want to see titles like Project EVE and Gran Blue Relink. But unfortunatelly never had good experiences with State of Play, so I'm expecting the worst. Really hoping to be wrong about that.

Top Bottom