• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

skit_data

Are we really saying the characters look any worse than demons souls ps5 characters? One of the few “next gen” games we have? I’m not seeing the massive issues people have
9aKbrsa.jpg
FXzSIby.png
The characters faces and hair are easily the weakest part of the Demon’s Souls remakes graphics.
Luckily you rarely have to see them and even less stand 1 metre away in first person.

I just find it wierd they don’t look better in Starfield because you spend a lot of time in just that type of scenario and considering that it’s surprising they haven’t improved a lot from FO4.

Edit: I should add that not all NPCs look wierd, but there seem to be some inconsistency rather than all looking off.

Last edited:

Shifty

For a moment they had me thinking that a Bethesda game might actually ship polished... Until they zoomed out the starmap.

No way are they going to be able to follow through on the promise of that many planets without running afoul of ridiculous proc-gen bugs or reducing each one to the content equivalent of a Skyrim barrow dungeon.

abcdrstuv

Banned
don’t visit them then. Who’s making you? you’re mad there’s an option you don’t have to take?
No one, I’m commenting on the design. If you have 100 systems with 10 planets each, that’s going to be, at best, more No Bethesda’s Sky. Maybe there’s more to reveal on how it’ll work. Like, hub world says “we lost contact with researchers on planet 9”, and there’s a radiant quest kind of loop. Or “go join marines battling pirates for control of a mine on planet 7”.. repetitive can work and be fun. But a bunch of barren landscapes in a trailer don’t promise that.

I am sorry. I am sorry for the constant and blatant hype I have shown over the past few months and years here for Starfield.
I know it got annoying to some of you but I hope you understand me now.

Knowledge is a blessing and a curse
The hype was real Im a big fan of Space RPG & i have never seen a better space RPG game then this
It a day 1 Steam buy for me and with mod community updates i expect to put 3000 plus hours into Starfield easily

I think the character faces look fine. They certainly don't stand out to me as "bad" when watching this footage.

My concerns are planets looking more life moons. Just rocky wastelands with a different tint. I'm anxious to see how they make that exciting and interesting. The best parts about past Bethesda games are stumbling upon a small area in the environment that humans had made their own. The nature itself is never very provocative.

Gunplay also looks like it would benefit from VATS or something to gamify it. The shooting isn't good enough to stand on it's own without some RPG elements. Enemies don't react to being shot and don't seem to have action game AI. The player was walking down the stairs, not even thinking of cover and the enemies just did him a solid by not even trying to shoot. Hell the last guy who's jetpack blew up just casually strolled out after hearing a gunfight where his cohorts were killed. Bad guys do not break stride while being shot with automatic weaponry, and the soft fabric spacesuit the player wears is someone able to withstand projectile fire. Speaking of the spacesuit, I wonder why the player has it on in human colony scenes where everyone else is dressed in casual wear.

For a moment they had me thinking that a Bethesda game might actually ship polished... Until they zoomed out the starmap.

No way are they going to be able to follow through on the promise of that many planets without running afoul of ridiculous proc-gen bugs or reducing each one to the content equivalent of a Skyrim barrow dungeon.

Don't you know about Bethesda's extensive tools relating to procedurally generated quests and landscapes? Trust that many or enough of these planets will look quite good and even show evidence of hand crafting. Most of them will indeed be barren with perhaps nothing of interest (though this doesn't prevent you I think from still setting up an outpost on them).

And it wouldn't be realistic to the galaxy if you didn't have a bunch of useless, barren places out there in a massive galaxy, so Starfield is only being realistic.

Dolodolo

In all this conversation, I'm interested in something else.
Does Xbox really have such an underdeveloped YouTube channel?
Why are Starfield views so modest?
Yes, even on the Bethesda channel.
I thought this is the most anticipated game in the world right now?
What happened?
Or wind up views, as it was last year, not toss bags?

What happened?

It isn't a race. The footage isn't going anywhere. It will very popular on release, especially on PC and Steam in general. Of that there is no doubt. It will definitely be huge on Xbox Series consoles.

Dolodolo

It isn't a race. The footage isn't going anywhere. It will very popular on release, especially on PC and Steam in general. Of that there is no doubt. It will definitely be huge on Xbox Series consoles.

I ask why is the coverage so low now? It's kind of like the most anticipated gameplay you could think of. Is not it so? With that, xbox's total broadcast broke the record for its channel.

Razvedka

Banned
What happened?
I'd be surprised if they were low.

BigBooper

Hope there's a reason to built bases or explore planets other than just because they're there. FO4 base building was completely uselese.

I ask why is the coverage so low now? It's kind of like the most anticipated gameplay you could think of. Is not it so? With that, xbox's total broadcast broke the record for its channel.

Ohhh well, as to why the coverage is probably so low, it's probably because a lot of people do not like that it's an Xbox exclusive. We knew this would be an issue or unfortunate reality for many the moment Microsoft acquired Bethesda. We are just now seeing that play out now that the project is becoming more real.

Take a look at these for example. There's a level of anger, outrage and silliness around the game that I find hilarious. How dare it be big!? Some of the best moments in Skyrim and some other Fallout games were those quiet moments where you just took in the sights or stood around not doing very much, but just wandering the world to see what you came across. Scale has never been a downside of a Bethesda experience. And in a game about space exploration, how dare they try to create a realistic depiction of a massive galaxy where traveling to other planets and star systems is a realistic possibility. This is one of the biggest early unanswered questions about Starfield when it was first announced: How much freedom would you have as it relates to space exploration? We now have that answer, a shit ton of freedom.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
You can go to YouTube and sort the videos by number of views.
Starfield's most popular gameplay video has now reached 1.7 million views.

This is a penny for a franchise that has been promoted so much.

This is pretty silly... are you a "watch count expert" of gameplay videos?

The teaser that came out a year ago has 17 million views... which is massive.. because Bethesda RPGs are massive games that sell 10+ million copies.

Is it as big as other games? Who cares... probably not.. want a cookie?

This weird ass "why are people hyped" thing that ignores decades of huge Bethesda RPG fan-doms is so tired/old.

Last edited:

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
What happened?

My thoughts are that most game consumers (not gaming enthusiast. . .or masochist) do not get their gaming news and/or viewing from developers. I regularly see Gamespot or IGN being the number one hosts of popular game trailers. Also, every and their mother is hosting this presentation (plus the people who watched direct links of the broadcasts).

Ohhh well, as to why the coverage is probably so low, it's probably because a lot of people do not like that it's an Xbox exclusive. We knew this would be an issue or unfortunate reality for many the moment Microsoft acquired Bethesda. We are just now seeing that play out now that the project is becoming more real.

Take a look at these for example. There's a level of anger, outrage and silliness around the game that I find hilarious. How dare it be big!? Some of the best moments in Skyrim and some other Fallout games were those quiet moments where you just took in the sights or stood around not doing very much, but just wandering the world to see what you came across. Scale has never been a downside of a Bethesda experience. And in a game about space exploration, how dare they try to create a realistic depiction of a massive galaxy where traveling to other planets and star systems is a realistic possibility. This is one of the biggest early unanswered questions about Starfield when it was first announced: How much freedom would you have as it relates to space exploration? We now have that answer, a shit ton of freedom.

200.gif

I'm ashamed for 'PC'Gamer they should just shut down that site.

The comparison is so out of context, all they have is you fly a ship in a planet.....thats it. Settlements existed in Fallout 4, before No Man Sky
It's crazy, but I want to believe that they're for sure trolling.

It's same as me comparing SOD2 with TLOU2 and say they're basically identical. They're both zombie games right... I'm pretty sure most TLOU2 fans would be furious. Even though to me SOD2 is a better game, but I still recognize that the teams making those games are on completely different level talent wise and more effort went into tlou2.

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
They showed us gameplay, but far from a more complete showing of the game. This was but a mere taste compared to the much more extensive demonstrations they usually do. As the game gets closer and more polished up I'm sure we will see even more attention paid to it, but there's no doubt the game will be huge on release.
Starfield will be a "Halo" moment. For sure this is a landmark game.

Fredrik

I don’t get it. Why would a MS exclusive get a writer to embarass themselves like that openly on a PC gamer website??
It’s coming to PC. It’ll be better on PC. Most Bethesda fans will play this on PC. Why is there anger among PC gamers???
*confused*

As someone who actually play No Man’s Sky I’m blown away by Starfield. It’s not ugly and it’s not the same game but it’s taking some good bits from NMS, and that’s not something to complain about. And it takes some good chunks from Mass Effect as well, another game I love. In the end I couldn’t be more excited over what they showed!

I still have a million questions though. I especially want to know how much of it they’ve hand-crafted and what variations we can expect. And I want to know how they plan to do satisfying exploration in a game of this size without just having us traverse to a pointer. Can’t have us search 1000 planets. Will we get some hints through some planetary scanning tool kinda like in Mass Effect?
Hoping for another deep dive at the extended event.

EDMIX

I don’t get it. Why would a MS exclusive get a writer to embarass themselves like that openly on a PC gamer website??
It’s coming to PC. It’ll be better on PC. Most Bethesda fans will play this on PC. Why is there anger among PC gamers???
*confused*

As someone who actually play No Man’s Sky I’m blown away by Starfield. It’s not ugly and it’s not the same game but it’s taking some good bits from NMS, and that’s not something to complain about. And it takes some good chunks from Mass Effect as well, another game I love. In the end I couldn’t be more excited over what they showed!

I still have a million questions though. I especially want to know how much of it they’ve hand-crafted and what variations we can expect. And I want to know how they plan to do satisfying exploration in a game of this size without just having us traverse to a pointer. Can’t have us search 1000 planets. Will we get some hints through some planetary scanning tool kinda like in Mass Effect?

Agreed. I have the same questions btw lol

I think its just PC Gamer making a bad comparison is all. I don't think it has anything to do with XB as like you said, its coming to PC.

I think they'll have some myth of SPACE type thing lol, where you do a quest and a person tells you to find their daughter on this planet as she is a explorer or something and you go looking for some signal there and look for her, find out she eloped with some guy and was scared to tell the dad so faked some crash or some shit lol You now have a planet to explore with new shit there lol

To my memory, when you first get to Rivet City on Fallout 3, it was ending a quest

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
*confused*

Starfield art and colour choice is awesome. Not too many sci-fi games look this down to earth and gritty. Most sci-fi games some reason force themselves to have all kinds of crazy colours, neon lights, fluffy cute Star Wars aliens and things like that. Take a look at every NASA pic of rocks and it's the same looking shit as on this planet.

Comes down to player choice. Does someone wants a more modern take on sci-fi? Or does someone want crazy NMS yellow trees, red rivers and stuff like that? Depends on the gamer.

The biggest drawback to me was the sketchy frame rate which was 30 fps max. Probably tanked to 20 fps at some points. Maybe even less, not sure.

It's hard to go back to 30 fps gaming, but if this game has a steady 30 fps mode it can still work given the solid visuals and SSD loading. Even better would be a 60 fps option at gimped res/visuals. Half the piss off of old console gen Bethesda RPGs was the loading times. The games are slow paced enough you can walk around and explore at 25-30 fps and it's fine. But when it's combined with minute long loading I can see why many gamers bailed on the games.

Last edited:

Fredrik

Starfield art and colour choice is awesome. Not too many sci-fi games look this down to earth and gritty. Most sci-fi games some reason force themselves to have all kinds of crazy colours, neon lights, fluffy cute Star Wars aliens and things like that. Take a look at every NASA pic of rocks and it's the same looking shit as on this planet.

Comes down to player choice. Does someone wants a more modern take on sci-fi? Or does someone want crazy NMS yellow trees, red rivers and stuff like that? Depends on the gamer.

The biggest drawback to me was the sketchy frame rate which was 30 fps max. Probably tanked to 20 fps at some points. Maybe even less, not sure.

It's hard to go back to 30 fps gaming, but if this game has a steady 30 fps mode it can still work given the solid visuals and SSD loading. Even better would be a 60 fps option at gimped res/visuals. Half the piss off of old console gen Bethesda RPGs was the loading times. The games are slow paced enough you can walk around and explore at 25-30 fps and it's fine. But when it's combined with minute long loading I can see why many gamers bailed on the games.
Yeah I like the grounded visuals. I feared that they would just have humans in the game when they said it was grounded in reality, and that the big question to be answered would be if there was any other life out there. I was so glad to see those big Starship Tropper crabs within the first minute of the demo. Phew!
I do love the colorful sci-fi take in No Man’s Sky as well though.

Regarding the framerate. I get that it’s not for everyone but I would still advice anyone to consider playing this on PC instead of console. Within a month I think you’ll want to do it anyway when the modding community starts to release some stuff, Bethesda’s games are known for the fantastic modding.

Shmunter

Yeah I like the grounded visuals. I feared that they would just have humans in the game when they said it was grounded in reality, and that the big question to be answered would be if there was any other life out there. I was so glad to see those big Starship Tropper crabs within the first minute of the demo. Phew!

Regarding the framerate. I get that it’s not for everyone but I would still advice anyone to consider playing this on PC instead of console. Within a month I think you’ll want to do it anyway when the modding community starts to release some stuff, Bethesda’s games are known for the fantastic modding.
If MS releases a next gen game at 30fps there will be hell to pay. Especially this one, the most action oriented rpg Bethesda game ever produced.

Don’t F this up Phil, I don’t want a high profile title setting a prescient and sending a message to other devs this is OK.

Keep optimising for a 60 target ffs.

This will certainly be best on pc - and probably like 5 years after release. Maybe then I can afford a pc able to play it properly - in VR

anothertech

Comparing linear game to a huge open world game dude you are a troll
Also that GOW pic is not in game and i doubt that TLOU pic is in game also
Linear game more than a decade and 2 generations ago lol

Sorry, but I expected more. And I'm not the only one. I don't think that calling the character art out makes me a troll. It's a bit poor for 2023

pasterpl

i would love to hear from all of these disappointed people; what exactly have you expected? Because I am lost. Game looked amazing for me and looks to be exactly what I have expected.

Three

I don't get that PC Gamer tweet. Wtf is that about? How does it look ugly ? The ships looked amazingly detailed and apart from the way they animated the characters looked great too.

Shmunter

I don't get that PC Gamer tweet. Wtf is that about? How does it look ugly ? The ships looked amazingly detailed and apart from the way they animated the characters looked great too.

PC Gamer is ultra woke from memory. Maybe the trailer sinned with lack of diversity or not promoting the “message”. Someone involved in the project may have said something triggering once. You know how vindictive woke dorks can be. Anyones guess.

The performance was ugly, the art was solid.

Last edited:

reksveks

I think it's the art style that they have an issue with, 'dull and boring' was the wording in the article. In comparison, it's dull but boring, not personally.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
All I want to know is: Is there seamless travel between space and landing on a planet? If it's a load screen: FAIL.

/Fingers crossed

Solarstrike Solarstrike

Skyrim has load screens for entering towns and then more load screens for entering each house in those towns... Maybe FO4 did that better (haven't played it), but I wouldn't bet on their engine being capable of seamlessly streaming in an entire planet.

They also showed a menu with "Press A to set landing target", which seems to indicate that's what you do and then you just watch it happen. Unless that's just setting a waypoint you then manually fly to. We'll see.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
*confused*

PC Gamer went down that road years ago, this is the kind of clickbait woke writing style which is expected from them now, it's sad.

Anyway, I have about 200 fun hours in NMS myself, and I think its artstyle is like a toddler's toy. But I play it because it's just a well crafted game (now). Just like you I'm glad Starfield is borrowing a minor few things from it, don't see why it's a bad thing (unless you're using it for warring like an idiot).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom