• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield New Trailer Revealed + Starfield Direct | Xbox Showcase 2023

EDMIX

L8Ydfy8.jpg

is it really 69.99? I could have sworn someone said it was going to be 59.99 or some shit on PC lol

(Still day 1)

might get it if I can get that steelbook version lol

pepodmc_

each of those barren planets will be completely modified by mods from the community adding a lot of stuff. Even if Bethesda put a lot of generic planets to explore (main story planets aside) those "free slots" will be used by the modders.

This game will be fucking huge after some years of modding.

Buggy Loop

So it looks like there's not going to be any intelligent aliens directly in the game. In other words it's not going to be like Mass Effect. It does seem there are alien wildlife though.

However, it looks like you uncover ancient intelligent alien artifacts and that is what the story is about.

So it seems this is going to be more like 2001 for The Expanse than Star Wars or Star Trek.

I don’t think we’ve seen much at all in terms of spoilers so who knows for intelligent aliens.

Just look at the shot toward the end of the direct where it seems like the player uses the force with his hand, they skipped that whole “detail”.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I'm watching the Direct video and it looks like when you put in a name for your character, at least the robot and possibly other characters will actually say your name in the game. I don't think there's been any other video game that does that that I know of.

Everything I'm seeing here looks fantastic. I rarely get hyped about games anymore but this one is exciting me.

Darkmakaimura

I don’t think we’ve seen much at all in terms of spoilers so who knows for intelligent aliens.

Just look at the shot toward the end of the direct where it seems like the player uses the force with his hand, they skipped that whole “detail”.
Well it could be future humans or something but they mentioned the artifacts are alien and that they speak to you and that it was built outside the Sol systems - at least that's what it sounds like he said. It's at 8:20 in the Direct video. The trailer also hinted at it too. So it's probably like The Expanse where it's some unknown, highly advanced alien race that we may never see. Fact that's what pissed me off so much about The Expanse and how they canceled it before we got into the alien races that are mentioned in the novels.

Either way I'm really excited about this game and I rarely get excited about games anymore. This is going to be huge.

I'm actually wondering if this is going to require being online to play single player? I'm having a hard time thinking they're going to be able to fit all this on one disc.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

At 15:00 in the video is that an Oblivion reference? lmao.

Edit: haha it is!

Last edited:
seems like one of those select an area and we'll put you down in a predefined location within that area. Its not a fully explorable planet that seem pretty clear. If it was there would be no need for the cutscene
That might be a wise decision?

Do you really want a full sized planet to be explorable? Then you end up like No Man’s Sky where it doesn’t matter at all where you land because it’s all the same anyway…

I'm watching the Direct video and it looks like when you put in a name for your character, at least the robot and possibly other characters will actually say your name in the game. I don't think there's been any other video game that does that that I know of.

Everything I'm seeing here looks fantastic. I rarely get hyped about games anymore but this one is exciting me.
Fallout 4 did it with Codsworth if you put in a fairly normal English name. I figure this is full-on text to speech though.

???

Are you saying nothing in fiction has good intelligent aliens or am I misinterpreting? Star Trek did fantastic with that. Mass Effect in the video game space absolutely KILLED that,
Star Trek did well with the silicon creature and energy beings. Anything else was lame.

phant0m

CE already sold out everywhere?

Gone from Beth Store, Gameslop and Best Buy. Looked like I could get an XSX version in my cart at BB but by the time I went through their "verification" hoops it was gone. 50 listings up for sale on eBay for $600+ though, so that's cool. I fucking hate people.

Last edited:
Why couldn't these games come out when I wasn't married with responsibilities! Damn you Todd.
I had all the time in the world to play videogames 10 years ago when I was working part time, but no money. Now I make enough money to buy whatever the hell I want, but work 60+ hour weeks, and am too exhausted to do anything but watch a few YouTube videos when I get home.

Goddamn catch-22.

Darkmakaimura

There is nothing more lame than attempting to create 'intelligent' alien species. If Star Trek failed miserably with this, how would Bethesda have any luck? The closest probably anyone came was Orson Scott Card's Formics.
And most science fiction aliens are just humanoids that act very much human. I've always kind of hated that. Even as much as I love Star Trek, it's pretty much just human looking aliens acting like humans.

The only aliens I really like is stuff from HP Lovecraft or maybe stuff like Arrival or 2001. Truly mysterious and incomprehensible.

Darkmakaimura

I've got to say after watching this Direct presentation I'm sold.

The fact that they're still working on Elder Scrolls VI has me really excited because imagine what that's going to be like after this!

Last edited:

Connxtion

seems like one of those select an area and we'll put you down in a predefined location within that area. Its not a fully explorable planet that seem pretty clear. If it was there would be no need for the cutscene
Correct

Edit:
I’m hoping we can explore the whole planet on foot even if it takes a long time. As they do say that each planet is made up of multiple 1km x 1km square tiles. (This is to give verity to the planet)

Where you land must be a big location, as you can fast travel to your ship and from the videos of the game, you can see for quite a long distance. So unless there are some sort of barrier in place to stop you I suspect you can just keep running 😂.

Though vehicles would be handy, or the option to fly when on planet.

But we won’t know till it’s out what we can really do.

Am hoping for mods on Xbox version 🙏

Last edited:
Would love to have an option for 1080p 60 but I think this is not even running at 30 FPS properly regardless this feels like a proper true next gen game and I'm all up for it
I can bet my asshole on pc side it will be a system killer

I just rewatched the direct in 4k and now I can feel the hype.
I still think animations and NPCs, especially their hair, could be better though.

phant0m

I had all the time in the world to play videogames 10 years ago when I was working part time, but no money. Now I make enough money to buy whatever the hell I want, but work 60+ hour weeks, and am too exhausted to do anything but watch a few YouTube videos when I get home.

Goddamn catch-22.

Yup. It doesn’t help that half of AAA gaming is not satisfied with your single purchase and completion of the game. There is no completion.

I’ve barely completed the campaign in Lightfall, and now I’m playing Jedi Survivor, Diablo 4 and ToTK. Trying to get them all done before Starfield but it’s a long shot.

hlm666

each of those barren planets will be completely modified by mods from the community adding a lot of stuff.
It has some insane potential, you could have mods putting the whole map and areas of past games on their own dedicated planet. I'm personally hoping someone goes balls deep and does a full event horizon mod as a derelict spaceship you find.

ZoukGalaxy

It has some insane potential, you could have mods putting the whole map and areas of past games on their own dedicated planet. I'm personally hoping someone goes balls deep and does a full event horizon mod as a derelict spaceship you find.
Just imagine, the planet Tamriel.

4T2PKAl.jpg

Last edited:

kikkis

I dont think non regenerating health, and limited healing items you find in environment work that great with these types of shooters.

Kumomeme

just hope the game will not has major bug issue considering how massive and how typical Bethesda game is

this is what i hope from Star Wars game.

modding gonna be glorious.

Last edited:

Ribi

That might be a wise decision?

Do you really want a full sized planet to be explorable? Then you end up like No Man’s Sky where it doesn’t matter at all where you land because it’s all the same anyway…
It puts expectations in check. People out here thinking that the entirely of 1000+ planitary bodies are fully explorable when it seems like its just a predsignated area that is just a landing zone.

Vick

That gameplay deep dive was simply next level, made other games look like demos.

I think no one else on the planet could make this. If it lives up to expectations this will be THE real and proper killer application of the generation.

Last edited:

feynoob

It puts expectations in check. People out here thinking that the entirely of 1000+ planitary bodies are fully explorable when it seems like its just a predsignated area that is just a landing zone.
Space should be like that. We have too many planets in our universe that is empty.

feynoob

Matt Booty just said if Starfield shipped today it would ship with less active/known bugs than any previous BGS game shipped with. Microsoft QA is all in on this thing.
What have you done to bethesda?
Oh Hell No Reaction GIF

Nydius

Gone from Beth Store, Gameslop and Best Buy. Looked like I could get an XSX version in my cart at BB but by the time I went through their "verification" hoops it was gone. 50 listings up for sale on eBay for $600+ though, so that's cool. I fucking hate people.

Agreed with you about people. Those preorders went lightning quick. I was terrified my controller order wouldn't go through in time because it asked me to verify my address and reward information.

GenericUser

Just imagine, the planet Tamriel.

4T2PKAl.jpg
I don't want to come off as debby downer, but you better keep your expectations in check. They said multiple times that there is a vast amount of "nothingness" to fill the void. That's not a bad thing by any means, but don't expect skyrim levels of detail on each planet. You'd be bound for disappointment.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Absolutely incredible. Why does Star Field and Phantom Liberty have to come in the same month :messenger_loudly_crying:. This year man!

I'm not sure I'm going to be playing anything else from September to the end of the year, tbh. Game looks massive. I'm going to spend literally days just designing ships.

Robb

Gold Member
I had my doubts but this does look like it could be something special. Didn’t really know if it’d be my kind of thing but the latest footage got me pretty excited to try it out.

Nydius

If you are unsure then I'd say try it on GP first. I'm buying it myself.
Same. This is the kind of game that I'll play for a while and will likely return to for years. More years than I have Game Pass subscribed for.

I'll be picking up the game, just haven't decided on whether I want to get Digital Deluxe or buy a physical copy for my shelf.

Topher

Gold Member
Same. This is the kind of game that I'll play for a while and will likely return to for years. More years than I have Game Pass subscribed for.

I'll be picking up the game, just haven't decided on whether I want to get Digital Deluxe or buy a physical copy for my shelf.

I'm definitely getting the deluxe version so I can jump in five days early.

feynoob

Do you have a PC?
If so get in steam for mods. Xbox doesn't have the same quality mods as pc, unless MS decides to do full support.

Top Bottom