• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield New Trailer Revealed + Starfield Direct | Xbox Showcase 2023

oji-san

Banned
Amazing showcase, all i hoped for. Looks so good and i like the combat.. they are improving it since FO3.. FO4 was already fun as FPS and this seems to improve and even more fun, alien life looks awesome, would be cool to have more intelligent alien and not only "monsters". as all Fallout games before i like the many factions and options the player have to create their story.
More building which was cool on FO4, i liked to build some things like the rad remove machine on my camps.. the whole keep the camps alive i like less so i hope it's less in Starfield.
This is basically Fallout in space i always wanted. I wonder what music we get.. what radio stations etc.. as FNV had an amazing selection of songs.
3 months away from one of the biggest games ever, can't wait to be a sandwich pirate!

Last edited:

RickSanchez

I am 95% hyped. It is taking all my willpower not to pre-order it right now. Will wait till the reviews drop. And if my few most trusted reviewers give it a recommendation, i'll grab it day one.

Razvedka

Banned
I'm so completely hyped. I haven't been this excited for a game in.. Years.

Hopefully there's an option for Fallout style gore.

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

I'm in (as well as the wife).
eAjyPde.jpg

ZoukGalaxy

OH. MY. TODD.

I have been blacked GOLDED :messenger_heart::messenger_smiling_hearts::messenger_heart:
Excited Cat GIF by TikTok

Thank you so much John Marston John Marston ! :pie_sfwth:
What a pleasant unexpected surprise you offered me dear gentleman, I LOVE YOU, and I want to show it you:

SuJCm.gif

Cmt0viz.gif

Again, thank you so much from the deep of my heart.

Last edited:

Nydius

The people saying "It just looks like No Man's Sky" must think No Man's Sky is the only space game to ever exist, I guess.

Yes, this looks like it has some elements from No Man's Sky... along with elements from Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Mass Effect, plus Elder Scrolls and Fallout. That's why people are so hyped about this. If the game itself lives up to even 75% of the hype the direct showed, it could completely redefine space genre games going forward.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
They seem very vague on how much of each planet you can actually explore. Seems like you can only land in certain predetermined locations, so probably just a few areas of each? And can you walk straight out of a city out into the wilderness and explore the planet, or are those cities the only thing you can visit on those particular planets?

This fucking game man when the modding community gets a hold of this I cannot imagine the things you’re going to find out there in space! Holy tits

ZoukGalaxy

They seem very vague on how much of each planet you can actually explore. Seems like you can only land in certain predetermined locations, so probably just a few areas of each? And can you walk straight out of a city out into the wilderness and explore the planet, or are those cities the only thing you can visit on those particular planets?
I think it will be like Mass Effect 1, mostly, you will a (big ?) square to explore for each planet with some already know POI (big city) and others POI to discover by yourself, they told you can land anywhere (in the "square" area I assume). I assume also that some planets will be totally uncharted, free to explore entirely.
I would be happy to be very wrong though about the "square area" and having a WHOLE planet to explore is my secret dream for this game.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I think it will be like Mass Effect 1, mostly, you will a (big ?) square to explore for each planet with some already know POI (big city) and others POI to discover by yourself, they told you can land anywhere (in the "square" area I assume). I assume also that some planets will be totally uncharted, free to explore entirely.
I would be happy to be very wrong though about the "square area" and having a WHOLE planet to explore is my secret dream for this game.

Yeah, something like that is what I'm thinking too. If you could actually explore entire planets you'd think they'd have said that. Although to be honest, procedurally generated planets aren't really that interesting to explore for very long. Once you've seen part of it you've pretty much seen it all, at least with single biome planets, which it sounds like these will be (like NMS).

DryvBy

Is this like NMS where you can land on different planets and explore the entire planet or a walled off garden?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
This game is giving me Mass Effect 1 vibes, if they pull it off, it will be the Mass Effect 2 that I wanted and never got.

Same.

But I do find it a bit odd that there are only humanoids in the galaxy (barring the animalistic aliens). I wonder if they're just not showing that part of it in the trailers.

Just watched it all again...looks mind-blowing.

It's gonna be a special one.

Yeah, something like that is what I'm thinking too. If you could actually explore entire planets you'd think they'd have said that. Although to be honest, procedurally generated planets aren't really that interesting to explore for very long. Once you've seen part of it you've pretty much seen it all, at least with single biome planets, which it sounds like these will be (like NMS).
I think you could probably explore the whole planet but there will likely not be much of a reason to do so cus as u said it will be procedural filler

Varteras

Gold Member
Before I spend, *checks time*, 45 fucking minutes watching this Starfield Direct, is it worth my time or should I just listen to whatever adamsapple adamsapple says about it?

A) Yes. Watch it and form your own opinion like a normal human being.
B) No. Don't bother and listen to him. No one knows Xbox games like the man who has the CEO's balls tattooed on his chin.
C) No. Don't bother and don't listen to him. You can't trust a man who has jars of a CEO's bath water in his fridge.
D) What the fuck?

adamsapple

Before I spend, *checks time*, 45 fucking minutes watching this Starfield Direct, is it worth my time or should I just listen to whatever adamsapple adamsapple says about it?

A) Yes. Watch it and form your own opinion like a normal human being.
B) No. Don't bother and listen to him. No one knows Xbox games like the man who has the CEO's balls tattooed on his chin.
C) No. Don't bother and don't listen to him. You can't trust a man who has jars of a CEO's bath water in his fridge.
D) What the fuck?

Watch it lol

Many of us did not expect the Starfield direct to be the best part of yesterday's stream.

ZoukGalaxy

Honestly, I would not have say no to entire planet, just imagine:

You land in a whole uncharted planet but it's way too big to explore all by yourself, you just explore a little aera and may feel there is some potential because of some hints (ruins, strange radio signal, artefacts, old roads, old rivers, old cave with strange drawings on walls, etc...) and later in game, once you progress enough, you can afford some ultra sophisticated probes that can scan the whole planet directly on ground, and it can take days, weeks, months (depending of the size of the planet), then the probe send you a message when they discover something that may be worth exploring manually (a place, a lifeform, a unusual signal...) and you get back to the planet, land to the area to discover a whole underground city, some artefacts, some heavy and rare ressources, some weird things, etc...

And once you done with planet, you take back your autonomous probe with you and continue your journey in the galaxy. You could have several probes at once with time and money but you have deploy them carefully because it costs you a lot in resources, time and money.

Honestly, I would have enjoyed SO MUCH this kind of exploration of planet mixing hand crafted carefully placed POI and partially generated planets free to explore entirely.

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Honestly, I would not have say no to entire planet, just imagine:

You land in a whole uncharted planet but it's way too big to explore all by yourself, you just explore a little aera and may feel there is some potential because of some hints (ruins, strange radio signal, artefacts, old roads, old rivers, old cave with strange drawings on walls, etc...) and later in game, once you progress enough, you can afford some ultra sophisticated probes that can scan the whole planet directly on ground, and it can take days, weeks, months (depending of the size of the planet), then the probe send you a message when they discover something that may be worth exploring manually (a place, a lifeform, a unusual signal...) and you get back to the planet, land to the area to discover a whole underground city, some artefacts, some heavy and rare ressources, some weird things, etc...

And once you done with planet, you take back your autonomous probe with you and continue your journey in the galaxy. You could have several probes at once with time and money but you have deploy them carefully because it costs you a lot in resources, time and money.

Honestly, I would have enjoyed SO MUCH this kind of exploration of planet mixing hand crafted carefully placed POI and partially generated planets free to explore entirely.

Yeah, but you don't get that with procedural generation.

daveonezero

Banned
I'm sorry I'm not sure I see what the hype is about. All I remember is that jump and the bullets flying toward the enemy at the reticule and not where the barrel is pointing. I'm guessing that was some sort of smart bullet with tracking.

adamsapple

FYI, the deluxe edition upgrade will, among other things, also include the first story expansion.. whenever it releases.

Last edited:

adamsapple

as a guy who loves ace combat and Star Fox that looked like a dream to play. The visuals for those parts especially were out of this world. I can't wait to see more of them....

It's crazy how they managed to make me 180 on the game in a day
The game needed a good showing since there were a lot of skepticism around it, and they managed to pull it off pretty well.

Arachnid

I apologize for parachuting into the discussion, but I've never seen a truly alien intelligent species. They look like aliens, with their different bodies, but they still have bilateral symmetry, carry tools in their hands, and act and think like human beings.

The truth is, there is nobody smart enough to write a truly alien species.
True, but at the end of the day, it's just a video game. No one is asking devs to create a truly alien concept to transcend genres or something (last movie to take a crack at this was Annihilation I think which did a great job). People just want different races to break up monotony and make you feel like you're really exploring. It's like if Skyrim, Mass Effect, or Divinity were filled with nothing but humans, No thanks.

MagnesD3

This game is giving me Mass Effect 1 vibes, if they pull it off, it will be the Mass Effect 2 that I wanted and never got.
Mass Effect 1 had an amazing story/characters with extremely interesting world building tho, I don't see that at all here...
Also in Mass Effect 1 it isn't super grindy for resources.

Last edited:

lucbr

I just preordered the Premium Edition. I can’t live in a world where this game is out for 5 days and I’m not playing it!

The same. I preordered the gamepass upgrade. The problem is that I think I won't have the time to play it properly but the upgrade also give access to the future expansions.

Connxtion

From this image, it looks like the we can just leave the city (New Atlantis) to explore. In the show you can see whoever is playing set a landing point (5:50 in the showcase) when on the first planet view. They then moved to the predefined city icon and then back out to the solar system map.

But we have been told previously we can pick a spot and land anywhere on the worlds. Just there may not be anything there 😂

What we don’t currently know is if we can walk around the planet or there will be some sort of barrier or message stating “to far away from ship” or something. (As we can also fast travel to our ship, so must get a good distance from it)

FybrTq5XsAEvoAf

Helghan

There’s actually one thing I don’t like about this game. The ship builder… Starfield tries to be realistic, but the ship builder doesn’t make any sense to me. Sure it’s nice that you can build whatever you want but that doesn’t make sense

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
One thing that’s going to be really important for me in this game is collectibles. Armor sets, weapons, etc. I think the most important aspect of exploration in any game is getting cool things to advance or upgrade your character. If not, it’s like ok I’m exploring all these areas and getting materials and stuff, but in the end what am I using it for? Then it just kinda becomes a sim basically.

That’s what Zelda TOTK did so well, there’s so much cool stuff to find for Link. Weapons, armor sets, character upgrades, etc. And of course something Bethesda games have done really well in the past.

But sometimes you see in games that are so big, they focus so much on the size and forget to make cool stuff to actually find. This is what ultimately hurt Cyberpunk for me. The world was awesome, but I got bored eventually because exploring all I was finding was stupid ass outfits. Like tank tops and shit. Boring.

Not sure how they can make someone in a space suit look cool, but hope they found a way. Also some unique weapons that are worth hunting down and finding out there in planets or whatever. Not just a bunch of same-y weapons that don’t stand out from one another. Because eventually once I play for a while I’m going to be like what’s the purpose of exploring all these planets if there’s nothing cool to find for my own character. One of my favorite things to do in RPGs is starting a gaming session with a goal to hunt down some really cool stuff and when it’s done check out what those equipments do in combat and feel like your time spent exploring was actually worth it when it was over.

zombrex

Not impressed at how uninsprired the different major towns are.
Gleaming tech Utopia.
Run down cowboy frontier city (This one could literally be transplanted straight out of Fallout.)
Neon night light city.

They have a completely new IP, I wish they would atleast try something new and interesting.

Dunnas

It seems like you can land anywhere (although I imagine the Cities are completely separate zones and you couldn't just walk off into the wilderness from there). When they first went to star map they showed selected a landing spot outside of the main points of interest on the planet (5:50 into this video). Also, they showed how you can scan the planets and it shows where all the resources are located (33:25 into the video). That would be useless if you couldn't then land anywhere you wanted to obtain those resources.

Top Bottom