• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield New Trailer Revealed + Starfield Direct | Xbox Showcase 2023

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Not impressed at how uninsprired the different major towns are.
Gleaming tech Utopia.
Run down cowboy frontier city (This one could literally be transplanted straight out of Fallout.)
Neon night light city.

They have a completely new IP, I wish they would atleast try something new and interesting.
Neon alones looks likes the better more realized versions of Cyberpunk

Razvedka

Banned
Do we know if you can land anywhere on a planet or if each planet simply has a pre-determined "zone" of exploration?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Is it just me or does the adoring fan now look like the guy from Quantum Break ?

Shawn Ashmore ?

DeNoro

Neo Member
Best showing of this pseudo-E3! I really didn't care for the first showing, but this changed my mind. Well done, Bethesda! I love the Nasapunk style, lighting, ship costumization, cities and realistic barren worlds. The gunplay also looks really fun and engaging. Overall, very impressive.

Nydius

I'm definitely getting the deluxe version so I can jump in five days early.
After further contemplation, I think what I’m going to do, since I have Game Pass stacked until April 2025 (yay Christmas gifts!), is buy the premium upgrade for the early access then wait a bit to buy the full game when I can find it on sale.

Also, it has arrived. My preciousssssss. :pie_roffles:

4DBPevK.jpg

Last edited:

Salz01

What are the chances of them having a demo for this. I want to see how it feels on series x before jumping to pc.

Rykan

What are the chances of them having a demo for this. I want to see how it feels on series x before jumping to pc.
Very very unlikely. If you really want to try it out first, I suggest getting Gamepass for month. If you play to play the game through Gamepass, you might want to get Gamepass Ultimate. That way you can try it on Xbox and move to PC if you don't like it.

Last edited:

feynoob

I would also love for someone or some media site to list what this game is doing that is so cpu demanding (outside of the crap Bethesda engine that is cpu heavy), but nobody seems to be able to say, outside of "object persistence™®©", the new Starfield buzzword.
I dont know how you like these guys, but they do in depth review on it.

salva

Preordered premium edition on PC. Will double dip on Series X if cross-save works.
I hope it is cross-save between Xbox and PC... or what Xbox usually refers to "Play Anywhere". I wanna be able to jump between my PC and Xbox and resume my my progress

I actually had a look, but it's not really clear...

The official Xbox page doesn't list it as "Play Anywhere".
But then Bethesda Support has said it is in this random tweet reply, but still not really clear:

I don't think any Bethesda game has ever been Play Anywhere?... but wonder if they'll make it happen given it's now first-party. Would be stupid not too.....

93xfan

Banned
This is the game of forever. Nevermind the generation.

I can't wait to lose myself in Starfield. No Man Sky on crack. The game of my dreams.
Very true. Think about how long people played Skyrim for.

And I absolutely love the variety that they’ve shown off so far.

I’m blown away by the animals and creatures they’ve shown too!

acm2000

I hope it is cross-save between Xbox and PC... or what Xbox usually refers to "Play Anywhere". I wanna be able to jump between my PC and Xbox and resume my my progress

I actually had a look, but it's not really clear...

The official Xbox page doesn't list it as "Play Anywhere".
But then Bethesda Support has said it is in this random tweet reply, but still not really clear:

I don't think any Bethesda game has ever been Play Anywhere?... but wonder if they'll make it happen given it's now first-party. Would be stupid not too.....

arent all MS first party games Play Anywhere?

john2gr

Just a heads up that Fallout 76 had traversal stutters. Since this is Bethesda we're talking about, I'm almost certain that Starfield will also suffer from traversal stutters. Seriously, take a look at the 4930K CPU graph and realize how the CPU was so underused, even back in 2018. I'm bringing this up because people believe that the CPU issues suddenly appeared in 2022/2023. Nope, a lot of games have been unable to take advantage of multiple CPU cores/threads. So yeah, I am curious about Starfield's CPU utilization.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
Do we know if you can land anywhere on a planet or if each planet simply has a pre-determined "zone" of exploration?
We know at the very least that planets can have several areas of interest. Beyond that it's not super clear yet.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
We know at the very least that planets can have several areas of interest. Beyond that it's not super clear yet.

Yyyy? You can land anywhere. You pick a landing spot and the game will procedurally generate landscape around you that then will be populated with hand crafted points of interest.

Razvedka

Banned
Yyyy? You can land anywhere. You pick a landing spot and the game will procedurally generate landscape around you that then will be populated with hand crafted points of interest.
This is what they actually said? I don't recall this in the trailer, but maybe I missed it.

feynoob

Clear Clear
It's all about selling the consoles.
The only way you can play FF games day1 is to buy PS5.

Starfield is like that. Anyone who wants to play the game will have to buy it on steam or buy Xbox to play it.

Both companies get more money from those consoles sold in the long term.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Clear Clear
It's all about selling the consoles.
The only way you can play FF games day1 is to buy PS5.

Starfield is like that. Anyone who wants to play the game will have to buy it on steam or buy Xbox to play it.

Both companies get more money from those consoles sold in the long term.

I don't disagree insofar as what you're saying is fundamentally correct, where I differ is that I think that there are bigger picture considerations that may change behaviour in the long run.

Like I wrote in the now closed thread, the calculation of cost/benefit is not always the same. Is a 6 month spike in revenue worth reduced income for the entirety of a half decade or longer development cycle?

This is especially pertinent when talking about the streaming future that MS are massively invested in. Based on YoY growth they will tweak their plans, potentially pivoting if a new avenue appears to offer more profit.

As many observers have noted MS are playing a long game. Which means sustainability, and particularly sustained growth are paramount concerns.

Last edited:

feynoob

I don't disagree insofar as what you're saying is fundamentally correct, where I differ is that I think that there are bigger picture considerations that may change behaviour in the long run.

Like I wrote in the now closed thread, the calculation of cost/benefit is not always the same. Is a 6 month spike in revenue worth reduced income for the entirety of a half decade or longer development cycle?

This is especially pertinent when talking about the streaming future that MS are massively invested in. Based on YoY growth they will tweak their plans, potentially pivoting if a new avenue appears to offer more profit.

As many observers have noted MS are playing a long game. Which means sustainability, and particularly sustained growth are paramount concerns.
But the thing is that starfield is with them for a long term.so gamepass increase and console sold is more valuable to them.
Plus it's will be a reason to buy the console.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
But the thing is that starfield is with them for a long term.so gamepass increase and console sold is more valuable to them.
Plus it's will be a reason to buy the console.

Again, I'd argue that Sony have a far greater impetus to maintain exclusivity with the FF7r sub-franchise than with FFXVI, a title I'd expect to see ported to Xbox within the next 2 years. Because the value to Sony of that exclusivity is going to diminish greatly over time while the opportunity cost to SE will make porting increasingly appealing - especially if MS were to underwrite that as compensation for inclusion on Gamepass!

In the case of Starfield if you check my post history you'll see that I always expected it to be launched as an Xbox exclusive, whereas future TES titles I felt had a good chance to remain multi-platform because their proven track-record of success made a clearer argument in terms of profit/loss for taking them exclusive.

Starfield being a new IP is inevitably subject to the same uncertainties that anything untried faces. It has the hype, it has the pedigree, but if it launches and disappoints even slightly, based on internal expectations, then post launch plans will likely change.

Conversely, if it turns out to be a critical and commercial smash - and this is of course what Phil and team will be counting on- then Xbox gets the "shine" from that and it will be forever synonymous with their brands and become the rising tide that lifts all boats.

Where this gets complicated for me is the intersection with MS' pivot towards service-based distribution, software platforming as opposed to hardware platforming.
In this new world how are they to quantify success? Taking Phil at his word that he believes the service component to stay at around 20% of their total revenue, I just don't see how the numbers are going to line up when cutting Sony out of the equation permanently isn't really serving those interests.

I mean, there's nothing MS would like more than to get GamePass on Playstation! Phil's said as much repeatedly. They don't mind sharing revenue, but there's no way on earth they will concede market control. Which is of course the precise same reason Sony will always rebuff them, despite the fact that being able to offer Xbox product on their hardware platform would no doubt offer uplift to their sales!

That being the case, how does it serve MS' interests to maintain exclusivity past the point where the headlines and benefits have faded from memory? Its not like its a new venture for them to invest in, they bought a publisher very prominent and active on Playstation after all.

Last edited:

feynoob

Again, I'd argue that Sony have a far greater impetus to maintain exclusivity with the FF7r sub-franchise than with FFXVI, a title I'd expect to see ported to Xbox within the next 2 years. Because the value to Sony of that exclusivity is going to diminish greatly over time while the opportunity cost to SE will make porting increasingly appealing - especially if MS were to underwrite that as compensation for inclusion on Gamepass!

In the case of Starfield if you check my post history you'll see that I always expected it to be launched as an Xbox exclusive, whereas future TES titles I felt had a good chance to remain multi-platform because their proven track-record of success made a clearer argument in terms of profit/loss for taking them exclusive.

Starfield being a new IP is inevitably subject to the same uncertainties that anything untried faces. It has the hype, it has the pedigree, but if it launches and disappoints even slightly, based on internal expectations, then post launch plans will likely change.

Conversely, if it turns out to be a critical and commercial smash - and this is of course what Phil and team will be counting on- then Xbox gets the "shine" from that and it will be forever synonymous with their brands and become the rising tide that lifts all boats.

Where this gets complicated for me is the intersection with MS' pivot towards service-based distribution, software platforming as opposed to hardware platforming.
In this new world how are they to quantify success? Taking Phil at his word that he believes the service component to stay at around 20% of their total revenue, I just don't see how the numbers are going to line up when cutting Sony out of the equation permanently isn't really serving those interests.

I mean, there's nothing MS would like more than to get GamePass on Playstation! Phil's said as much repeatedly. They don't mind sharing revenue, but there's no way on earth they will concede market control. Which is of course the precise same reason Sony will always rebuff them, despite the fact that being able to offer Xbox product on their hardware platform would no doubt offer uplift to their sales!

That being the case, how does it serve MS' interests to maintain exclusivity past the point where the headlines and benefits have faded from memory? Its not like its a new venture for them to invest in, they bought a publisher very prominent and active on Playstation after all.
Increasing userbase impacts both their revenues and gamepass.
Last gen, their system sold around 55m. So selling around 70+m this gen helps their game pass number and revenue alot.
That is what MS wants now. More userbase means more games, which translates to more money. Sony revenue is directly reflected by their userbase.

As for gamepass on other systems, it won't happen. Sony and Nintendo won't allow that to happen at all.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Increasing userbase impacts both their revenues and gamepass.
Last gen, their system sold around 55m. So selling around 70+m this gen helps their game pass number and revenue alot.
That is what MS wants now. More userbase means more games, which translates to more money. Sony revenue is directly reflected by their userbase.

As for gamepass on other systems, it won't happen. Sony and Nintendo won't allow that to happen at all.

Respectfully I think you are underestimating how hard MS are pivoting towards a platform agnostic service model based on digital distribution and streaming.

feynoob

Respectfully I think you are underestimating how hard MS are pivoting towards a platform agnostic service model based on digital distribution and streaming.
It's impossible to expend it to those platforms if they refuse that service. That is the reality right now. Unless they allow it, MS has no incentive to do put their stuff there aside of live service ones.

My one concern with this game (seeing as you can do basically anything) is that it will be a jack of all trades, master of none type of experience.

Average FPS combat
Average ship combat
Average melee combat etc.

Not looking for a tip top Call Of Duty type experience but I when I want to go into an encounter guns blazing I want the weapons to have a responsiveness and feel to them that it feels like im weilding a proper assault rifle with decent recoil etc.

Each melee weapon should have distinct feel to them.

I sincerely hope the gunplay is fun and engaging.

Top Bottom