• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Starfield - Official Gameplay Trailer Reveal (2023)

Status
Not open for further replies.

abcdrstuv

Banned
I watched the trailer again in 4k on my 65” tv and I’m warming up to it now.. there’s enough variety in the quick previews of planets and missions to be encouraging.. the graphics are a step up, the NPC facial animations in dialogue are great.. but it’s underwhelming. they may be holding back a full reveal because of the delay, and had to be selective?

Razvedka

Banned
Media outlets are already carrying buckets of water for Bethesda, excusing the fact that this 'next gen only' game is targeting 4K/30 fps.

Targeting a 4k/30 baseline on the Series X in 2022/2023 is an absolute embarrassment. 4K/30 was barely acceptable, but understandable, on the One X.

Every generation this statement is made, or some variation. The "We should be past 30fps" assertion.

No, consoles never will be 'past' this because they're closed boxes constantly pushing what their silicon can achieve on screen. Absolutely some games will be at 60FPS, or have hybrid modes which can target 30 or 60. But the idea that 30 will 'go away' or that every game will or should reasonably have a 60fps mode is just not reasonable.

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't floored with what I was seeing from Starfield. So far from what we've been shown its trading blows with No Man's Sky on PC. Not exactly flattering*.

So I'm not defending Starfield with this comment, just in general addressing the core of your post.

*No Man's Sky is a beautiful game. It's just also 6 years old.

Last edited:

Nydius

Knowing how expansive Starfield will be and the physics simulations that the Creation Engine can produce, I'm satisfied with a 4K/30fps presentation
Attitudes like this is why Bethesda keeps getting gold stars for releasing buggy, subpar, unoptimized shit using a cobbled together, years old engine.

Because you're "satisfied".

Well, I'm not. There's no excuse for 4k/30 on a solely "next gen" game that releases in 2023. Your Cyberpunk comparison is irrelevant since that game was developed for the Xbox One and PS4 specifically and the next gen upgrade was an after-the-fact addition. The game wasn't built around it.

I stand by the statement: 4K/30 for a next gen only title in 2023 is a fucking embarrassment.

But the idea that 30 will 'go away' or that every game will or should reasonably have a 60fps mode is just not reasonable.
It's not reasonable because you say so? Give me a break. This, like Salty Popsicle's comment, is the kind of attitude that lets developers continue to get away with this bullshit. There's zero excuse for this to not run at better than 4K/30 on the hardware provided by the Series X. If you're willing to be defeatist and believe consoles will forever be limited to 30 because reasons, that's your problem.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Attitudes like this is why Bethesda keeps getting gold stars for releasing buggy, subpar, unoptimized shit using a cobbled together, years old engine.

Well, I'm not. There's no excuse for 4k/30 on a solely "next gen" game that releases in 2023. Your Cyberpunk comparison is irrelevant since that game was developed for the Xbox One and PS4 specifically and the next gen upgrade was an after-the-fact addition. The game wasn't built around it.

I stand by the statement: 4K/30 for a next gen only title in 2023 is a fucking embarrassment.
Attacking Bethesda's penchant releasing buggy messes that aren't as shiny as competing games of their era due to their technical decisions is valid.

But using 4k 30fps as evidence of them not trying.. That's kind of a stretch man. 30fps is here to stay for a very long time, especially at whatever the current high standard of resolution is (today, that's 4k).

LMAO, Cyberpunk was most definitely developed with the high-end PC crowd in mind. If Xbox One and PS4 had been the leading platforms, the game would not have looked like this when it released. Even today the game has trouble with those consoles extremely slow memory bandwidth capabilities and still runs at sub 1080p/20fps.

Eo0EIsrVoAUB_O3-b88c.jpg

Reactions: Fbh

Razvedka

Banned

It's not reasonable because you say so? Give me a break. This, like Salty Popsicle's comment, is the kind of attitude that lets developers continue to get away with this bullshit. There's zero excuse for this to not run at better than 4K/30 on the hardware provided by the Series X. If you're willing to be defeatist and believe consoles will forever be limited to 30 because reasons, that's your problem.
It's not reasonable because of the realities of writing software on a static piece of hardware in an industry where visuals and effects, the 'wow' factor, is a fierce competition. You cannot do increasingly 'more' with 'less' in that kind of cutthroat environment.

The only new variable here are mid-gen refreshes, and the ability to use variable-resolution and advanced upscaling techniques.

It's not because I say so, it's because this is just the way the limitations of the technology placed on the engineers (especially over time) coupled with consumer expectations for 'shiny' work out.

To wit, something has to give. Sub-4k resolutions for example.

I'm making my position as a software engineer of some 10 years now. No, not a game developer but coding is my life. My understanding of the field coupled with all the stuff I've read since I was like 13 on game development (interviews, current and former devs, articles, whatever) is the basis of my opinion here. I'm not just trying to be contrarian.

Last edited:

Fredrik

5jjqYu8.jpg

Mere mention of Horizon and L from Turok made fanboys harass him and hence the tweet was deleted

Some of you need to take a look

Ah I remember when I was a kid too, hating on Atari 520 without ever touching one and still argueing on the school yard with a class mate over how much better the Amiga 500 was, those were the days 🫠

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Ah I remember when I was a kid too, hating on Atari 520 without ever touching one and still argueing on the school yard with a class mate over how much better the Amiga 500 was, those were the days 🫠

Yeah those were the days. Nowadays as adults we just buy everything. I wonder how many of us on the board own everything. PS5, Xbox/PC, and Switch.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
John what is you doing? we all know twitter is a Fanboy heaven that cesspool of filth

I got a feeling that John is getting sick and tired of graphical comparisons. He seems to be a guy who would like to discuss game design in general, not just graphics, graphics, graphics.

Comparing games with such different scope and environments makes no sense.

I got a feeling that John is getting sick and tired of graphical comparisons. He seems to be a guy who would like to discuss game design in general, not just graphics, graphics, graphics.

He should join a actual gaming forum there is no point trying these things on twitter
The Fanboys will derail any convo on there

I don’t get it. Why would a MS exclusive get a writer to embarass themselves like that openly on a PC gamer website??
It’s coming to PC. It’ll be better on PC. Most Bethesda fans will play this on PC. Why is there anger among PC gamers???
*confused*

As someone who actually play No Man’s Sky I’m blown away by Starfield. It’s not ugly and it’s not the same game but it’s taking some good bits from NMS, and that’s not something to complain about. And it takes some good chunks from Mass Effect as well, another game I love. In the end I couldn’t be more excited over what they showed!

I still have a million questions though. I especially want to know how much of it they’ve hand-crafted and what variations we can expect. And I want to know how they plan to do satisfying exploration in a game of this size without just having us traverse to a pointer. Can’t have us search 1000 planets. Will we get some hints through some planetary scanning tool kinda like in Mass Effect?
Hoping for another deep dive at the extended event.

Bethesda has used procedural generation as far back as Oblivion, even before that. The No Man's Sky comparison is judging a more advanced studio to a much less advanced studio in terms of capability, man power and budget at the time No Man's Sky launched in the state that it was in with its planets looking like it has. Bethesda has always used procedural generation, but they've been able to always go in and touch it and modify with all their army of artists and designers.

And Todd Howard has recently confirmed Starfield has more hand crafted stuff than in any game before it. A breakdown I saw elsewhere.

Summary of what stood out to me in the Todd interview: Procedural vs. Handcrafted: - Once they figured out a good way to just make 1 good procedural planet, it's not as hard as you think to expand that to 1000 planets. They consider the fully procedural planets to be optional. Maybe you just like the view or want to set up a base for example. - They will make it obvious which planets have handcrafted areas and which are fully procedural. - They've done more handcrafting than in any other game they've done.

Story: - Over 200,000 lines of dialogue now (last number they gave was 150,000). - Constellation is still exploring and figuring out mysteries of universe, looking for old earth artifacts. Start of the main story is uncovering artifacts of unknown origin. - Main story is a bit longer than previous games. 30-40 hours main quest. Not including factions or anything else. - Will be doing extra DLC down the line. Very excited for what modders will be able to do as well. - 4 main cities in game. New Atlantis is biggest, and biggest city they've built in any game.

Space Flight: - They're big fans of old space sims. Ship has power systems, 3 different weapon systems, engines, shields, grav drive (FTL). - Pace of the dogfighting is not twitchy. Compared it to Mech Warrior in terms of pace, systems, and power. - You can disable, board, and dock with other ships. - You can steal ships. - There is smuggling. - No you can't fly down to planet manually. You pick a point to land. Early decision they made. Chose to have a separation between surface gameplay and space gameplay.

Character Creation: - 20-ish character backgrounds to choose from. Affects dialogue and options in the game.

Fredrik

Yeah those were the days. Nowadays as adults we just buy everything. I wonder how many of us on the board own everything. PS5, Xbox/PC, and Switch.
I’d love to see a serious platform poll, with names shown.

But yeah I own everything. Still have a preference though but I think that’s perfectly fine, I try to be reasonable about it.

PC is the #1 for me nowdays, the calm zen zone, ”exclusives” from both Xbox and Playstation, smooth framerates.

Xbox is my #2, mostly since I get PC versions of the AAA exclusives day 1 and free through Play Anywhere, and Gamepass is awesome.

PS is #3, closing in fast on Xbox though because Sony simply deliver more AAA games, the PC evolution is starting to improve too and I have high hopes for PS+ Premium.

Switch is last, I love some of the games (BOTW, Odyssey, Dredd) but they come far too seldom, feels like I only play one game per year, haven’t played a single game yet this year.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I’d love to see a serious platform poll, with names shown.

But yeah I own everything. Still have a preference though but I think that’s perfectly fine, I try to be reasonable about it.

PC is the #1 for me nowdays, the calm zen zone, ”exclusives” from both Xbox and Playstation, smooth framerates.

Xbox is my #2, mostly since I get PC versions of the AAA exclusives day 1 and free through Play Anywhere, and Gamepass is awesome.

PS is #3, closing in fast on Xbox though because Sony simply deliver more AAA games, the PC evolution is starting to improve too and I have high hopes for PS+ Premium.

Switch is last, I love some of the games (BOTW, Odyssey, Dredd) but they come far too seldom, feels like I only play one game per year, haven’t played a single game yet this year.

The only time I use my PS5 is for exclusives that won't come to PC anytime soon. GOW 2, Demon Souls, Returnal, etc.

Fredrik

Bethesda has used procedural generation as far back as Oblivion, even before that. The No Man's Sky comparison is judging a more advanced studio to a much less advanced studio in terms of capability, man power and budget at the time No Man's Sky launched in the state that it was in with its planets looking like it has. Bethesda has always used procedural generation, but they've been able to always go in and touch it and modify with all their army of artists and designers.

And Todd Howard has recently confirmed Starfield has more hand crafted stuff than in any game before it. A breakdown I saw elsewhere.
Sounds awesome! All of it!

Guilty_AI

I guess somebody will make a mod for transition from space to ground. Will be called "Skyrim: Open Space" :messenger_tears_of_joy:
That would be very difficult to pull off though. If it was a planned feature that got abandoned maybe, since the groundwork would be already laid out, but since they've been separating both from the beginning there is most likely a lot of barriers on the way the software was written that wouldn't make it possible.

Well, a lot of this really depends, but if they're just instantiating ground and space in different scenes, i don't think modders could pull it off without it looking extremely rough.

Fredrik

The only time I use my PS5 is for exclusives that won't come to PC anytime soon. GOW 2, Demon Souls, Returnal, etc.
Same here but to be fair they’ve released a lot of games so that’s still a reason to enjoy it. I’ve already played through Lost Legacy (awesome!), played 20 or so hours of Horizon FW (great!), maybe 10 hours of GT7 (It’s good but progression is slooow). Haven’t played Returnal yet but plan to do it when PS+ launch in my area.

On Xbox I’ve just tried some random Gamepass games, and Tunic (great!) and Flight Sim Top Gun (awesome!). It’s been a really bad year tbh.

This year has been mostly about Elden Ring for me, on PC (and also Steam Deck = awesome!), 175 hours played, still exploring, Haligtree right now. One of my favorite games of all time. #4 behind Skyrim (3), BOTW (2), Super Metroid (1).

That would be very difficult to pull off though. If it was a planned feature that got abandoned maybe, since the groundwork would be already laid out, but since they've been separating both from the beginning there is most likely a lot of barriers on the way the software was written that wouldn't make it possible.

Well, a lot of this really depends, but if they're just instantiating ground and space in different scenes, i don't think modders could pull it off without it looking extremely rough.
I mean Skyrim Open Cities exists.

Guilty_AI

I mean Skyrim Open Cities exists.
Thats comparing apples to oranges though. Planet-space transitions have a lot more going on and more to consider than simply having a door between them.

With Skyrim you can just place the interiors/events inside the open world at the cost of some performance and call it a day.

With Starfield you'd have to deal with: different atmosphere layers and the transition between them (wouldn't have been implemented in vanilla), LOD levels for the ground (wouldn't have been implemented to take into account space approach), the layout of these planet/levels (do they obey the planets curvature? Are they just flat levels that cycle you between its ends?) and finally how the game would behave when flying with the ship on the surface (ground collisions, what your guns would do when shooting at the ground, how npcs would react to your ship, etc. lots of these things wouldn't have been implemented or even thought of when making the game)

Last edited:
Not much, John setup a poll to ask people opinions on what they think of technical prowess of Starfield. After finishing dead last, warriors got really angry as to why John threw Horizon:Forbidden West in there. It should be "random", so John took it out of poll and added Forza Horizon 5 for a fresh poll. Let's hope it isn't last this time.
It’s obvious bait, what’s even the point? Scales of the game and style of the game is much different. BGS games tend to have more dynamic elements than any in the industry while the other games posted have more static elements to push visuals. Hence why not many can match the immersion of a Bethesda’s game. It just seemed like fanboy baiting imo. Starfield won’t look better than any game gureilla puts out ever. A guriella game won’t match the immersion of a Bethesda game ever. Different goals.

The comparison is so out of context, all they have is you fly a ship in a planet.....thats it. Settlements existed in Fallout 4, before No Man Sky

Yep. Fallout 4 dropped a whole year before the Foundation Update for No Man's Sky, but many, even on this very site, have suggested that it's Starfield copying No Man's Sky. And even Mass Effect and other games have done some of what No Man Sky did before it did it just in different ways. Even Mass Effect 2 years ago had us getting essential resources from planets to enhance or upgrade our ship or something, I forgot why exactly we were doing it, but I think it was ship related. I can't remember if Mass Effect 1 had that or not also.

WitchHunter

Banned

FVEpaY_XsAo_aV_

• STAR TRAVEL
  • OVER 1000 PLANETS
  • FULL DINAMIC SHOOTING
  • FULL SHIP AND CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION

H3wwypj.jpg
FVEnv_dX0AAt1m1
FVEn2SwXwAMqHdC

FVEn3gqX0AAkgW-
FVEoQukWIAAnlwW
FVEoaF5WAAM4Ou6

FVEpDQdWUAAcgVD
FVEpIrNWUAAVEYI
FVEo2kHWIAAn0fH

FVEoQLjX0AAxi3r
FVEoHW8WQAE8xBc
FVEoN_RWIAAyVk_

Looks fucking high tech. Hope the main storyline is not 100+ hours long.

"but ultimately its not our story it's the story you create... and that starts with character creation"
so there will be racist slurs, good

Last edited:
I watched the trailer again in 4k on my 65” tv and I’m warming up to it now.. there’s enough variety in the quick previews of planets and missions to be encouraging.. the graphics are a step up, the NPC facial animations in dialogue are great.. but it’s underwhelming. they may be holding back a full reveal because of the delay, and had to be selective?

Yep I did the exact same and it really ramped up in the late part of the trailer. As long as it focuses on the experience and quality content, not just filler, we'll be good to go.

Shmunter

Media outlets are already carrying buckets of water for Bethesda, excusing the fact that this 'next gen only' game is targeting 4K/30 fps. All of the sudden there are articles with lines like this: "To be honest though, how many of us are really turning to Bethesda for graphical capabilities?" :pie_eyeroll:

Targeting a 4k/30 baseline on the Series X in 2022/2023 is an absolute embarrassment. 4K/30 was barely acceptable, but understandable, on the One X. Just because past Bethesda games launched and ran like shit doesn't mean they deserve a medal for never improving. The very same article goes on to talk about mods for Skyrim, missing the point entirely that the most popular mods for Skyrim were ones that completely overhauled the graphics. Graphics mods were so popular, in fact, that Bethesda basically ripped them off to create the Special Edition re-release. I won't be surprised if they do the same thing for Starfield.
The 30 hasn’t been confirmed as a target right? Let’s still expect 60. Consoles have plenty of compute & memory this gen, theres no excuse for anything to be 30. If anything it will carry fidelity/performance option. If not, there will be blood.

Shmunter

He should just review games for DF, put a tech slant to it as is expected. Done.

Elysion

Banned

Ah, what could’ve been… Too bad Starfield won’t have scenes like that. It seems to be closer to Mass Effect when it comes to planetary exploration.

Should Star Citizen (or at least its single player portion) ever get a proper release, it probably won’t be surpassed for a long, long time, at least when it comes to scale. The only thing Starfield (and Bethesda games in general) probably does better is object persistence – the ability to pick up any object you find and be able to interact with it in a physically realistic way. If Star Citizen had that, it could be pretty much my perfect game (unless it does? I’ve never played it myself).

Last edited:

Connxtion

So no planet to planet traversal. Pity as I was hoping it would be like NMS, but more realistic looking.

I just hope we can fly about on the planets, because if you can only land (anywhere am speculating by what was said) then that’s crap. We meant to run about for miles? or is the worlds going to be broken up into sections like Skyrim sized maps.

Just not enough info on how ships work and how the main premise of the game works. (Exploring space and planets)

anothertech

They'll just copy paste this during the loading screens

RS8V.gif

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Ah, what could’ve been… Too bad Starfield won’t have scenes like that. It seems to be closer to Mass Effect when it comes to planetary exploration.

Should Star Citizen (or at least its single player portion) ever get a proper release, it probably won’t be surpassed for a long, long time, at least when it comes to scale. The only thing Starfield (and Bethesda games in general) probably does better is object persistence – the ability to pick up any object you find and be able to interact with it in a physically realistic way. If Star Citizen had that, it could be pretty much my perfect game (unless it does? I’ve never played it myself).

SC does this already and goes even further. It's one of the key points of SC that everything is physical in the universe. In the next update they will add:

Persistent Entity Streaming

Updated May. 25th 2022
Implementation of the Persistent Entity Streaming core technology into Star Citizen. Making use of services such as the Entity Graph and Replication Layer, this will allow every dynamic object in the game to fully persist across all servers, irrelevant of whether it is owned or held by a player.

You might want to watch this (timestamped but it's interesting to see the whole video as well):

So you want to make a point with a funny video with bugs? Let's start do that with all kinds of open world games....

Hell, people already found things in the Starfield video that was funny.

Last edited:

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news

yamaci17

no Starfield will target 60 fps on nextgen systems

these consoles are equipped with 3.6 ghz 8/16 zen 2 cores. they can handle the 60. 5 times more single thread power than previous gen consoles, 8 times more multihread perf.

if.. they happen to be not able to target 60 fps on nextgen xbox systems, it will be a huge bummer. it would be a PR disaster, considering its a "xbox console exclusive" title. no one would have any incentive to play on an xbox console when you can play at 60+ FPS on PC platform. it HAS TO target 60 fps on xbox consoles if it is going to be the "console seller game" for xbox brand.

imagine god of war releasing on ps4 at 1080p 30 FPS and at the same time on PC where you can get 1080p 60 FPS with a midrange GTX 1060 build. It would be undeniable that even most console users would just build a PC to enjoy those games at higher fidelity, higher framerates.

by the time comes, even low end ryzen 3600/rtx 2060 rigs can target 30 fps with starfield. nope. it has to be 60 or bust.

Last edited:

darrylgorn

Don't expect many open world type games to hit 60fps above 1080p unless they have something similar to DLSS involved.

I like the direction they've made on flight landings and space travel. This isn't really a space sim, so cutting those bits out actually makes for a less grueling experience.

Last edited:

Sygma

You can prove me wrong... I see no problem admitting an mistake.

Click on the video below, at the moment I linked it, and then tell me if there are that many games with better facial animations. It definitely feels to me way above the standard! And coming from Bethesda that's really an improvement, because Fallout and TES, up until now, were horrible in that regard.

yes there are. Forbidden west, cyberpunk, RDR 2, Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate 3 are all trashing this. There are no more excuses for Bethesda, they've been laughable since Oblivion

Last edited:

Kssio_Aug

yes there are. Forbidden west, cyberpunk, RDR 2, Original Sin 2, Baldur's Gate 3 are all trashing this. There are no more excuses for Bethesda, they've been laughable since Oblivion
Original Sin 2 and Baldurs Gate 3, not only better but "trash this"?

Over It Abandon Thread GIF

As some used to say... haters gonna hate. So your loss, not mine.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
Yep I did the exact same and it really ramped up in the late part of the trailer. As long as it focuses on the experience and quality content, not just filler, we'll be good to go.
A No Man’s Sky twin isn’t the worst thing in the world, either. Seeing that mining laser in the trailer was rough, but Bethesda probably pulls off better basebuilding, shipbuilding should be good, plot and quests will be 10x more fleshed out, combat will be better, space combat, maybe.

It’s just tough when they’ve chosen such a spare aesthetic. Empty worlds, no aliens, there are fewer tropes you can draw on. Are there going to be 100 planets where an explorer crashed and sent out a distress signal, a handful of “outposts” per planet? Skyrim content spread across 1,000 locations is dicey.. hope they’ve got creative ideas they didn’t show..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom