• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Director Explains Why MJ Stealth Scenes Were Included in the Sequel

X-Wing

Is this video accurate? I found MJ insufferable already in S-M 1, but they seem to have dialed it up to 11 in the sequel. All of the time I was thinking what in the whole world Peter saw in her, he could do so much better and have a healthier relationship. If Insomniac is so in love with her, why not do a MJ-centered game and let Spider-Man be Spider-Man?
It’s an Xbox fanboy channel. How accurate do you think it is?

GymWolf

Lots of people saying woke here. That word still has meaning or is it just encompassing things you don’t like?
It's way worse, that bit only talk about mj and doesn't even include the worse thing she does in the game, the rest of the game is even woker.

The game may be the wokest game ever made in a timeline that also include goodbye volcano high.

I usually ignore this shit if the game is at least good like in tlou2 or horizon, but in here it's super in your face and not slick or smart in the slightest.

I've only played one MJ mission. First part of it was very basic but it didn't bother me. But then toward the end, when it had marked the destination I was working toward, I got spotted by the entire guard staff. But I figured that with something this basic, it might trigger a cut scene and let me pass the mission if I sprinted up to the goal, even with everyone in the area chasing me. And it worked, lol.

Also, +1 to Black Cat stealth missions.

Kindela

Banned
I've played a couple of her missions so far, and even though they're not very good, they're really easy and short, so it's not that bad to go through.
I'd still prefer a lot of these slower missions were cinematics instead.

Boss Mog

If they're so proud of these MJ missions, how come they didn't show them off in any of the trailers? The trailers never show any woke stuff to try to bait people into thinking this isn't a game that will shove propaganda down their throat, but I think now we know what to expect from Insomniac and other Sony' first party devs.

GymWolf

If they're so proud of these MJ missions, how come they didn't show them off in any of the trailers? The trailers never show any woke stuff to try to bait people into thinking this isn't a game that will shove propaganda down their throat, but I think now we know what to expect from Insomniac and other Sony' first party devs.
This game getting a 91 and selling more than any other sony game is basically telling sony to double down on this shit for future games.

Hopefully less woke teams like sucker punch and santa monica are gonna keep their woke shit at a minimum.

Boss Mog

This game getting a 91 and selling more than any other sony game is basically telling sony to double down on this shit for future games.

Hopefully less woke teams like sucker punch and santa monica are gonna keep their woke shit at a minimum.
Yeah when I saw 90+, I was like "damn, the game will for sure have unnecessary things to try to push narratives". I remember that when the original came out, plenty of game "journalists" docked it points because Spider-man was working with the police and helping them. I'm guessing this time around he is much less chummy with the police.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Some of these people are mentally ill. lol.

One funny thing is that Mary Jane literally looks like the face more more in this game compared to Spider-Man 1

MV5BOTUxYWI4MzEtZGI2Ny00ZWQwLThkY2ItNTFiNGM3ZTNjNzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyMzE0MTE@._V1_.jpg
F8HqWkpWQAAdd1N

People calling the Mary Jane missions propaganda .. I can do nothing but shake my head lol

Toots

Gold Member
The hypebole my god...
You don't get it.
What's important in Spiderman for any marvel fan isn't the "spider" part, it's the "man" part, as in hypermasculine hero (think Conan the Barbarian or any other meat mountain) who solve every conflict by using more violence than the others.
With that in mind, we can all agree that God of War is a better spiderman game than this.

(but for real MJ was a super cunt in the first one, plus didn't she dump Peter at the beginning, the soft "i need space (to get fucked by lots of dudes)" type of break up ?
The only one wanting to play as her are people like Peter Parker feeling miserable.)

Fredrik

Haven’t played the game but saw a video where MJ was doing a serie of oneshot taser takedowns. She was flashing red. Is that the segment talked about here? Looked like she could’ve saved the city by herself, Spidey might need to find another city to protect.

Last edited:

GymWolf

You guys are in for a rude awakening if you believe Sony or even MS have teams that are "less woke". Ragnarok compared to 2018 GOW was already quite...different to say the least.
Yeah, but i think ragnarock was less in your face than sp2 or tlou2.

There is no line in ragnarock that reach the cringe level of bigot sandwiches, and i don't need to point out how sp2 is more woke than ragnarock by a landslide.

Tsushima had almost nothing woke.

A team can decide how to handle the wokeness forced by sony (i hope)

Last edited:

GymWolf

Yeah when I saw 90+, I was like "damn, the game will for sure have unnecessary things to try to push narratives". I remember that when the original came out, plenty of game "journalists" docked it points because Spider-man was working with the police and helping them. I'm guessing this time around he is much less chummy with the police.
Your guess is right.

Last edited:

Ev1L AuRoN

Maybe their thinking was: If we can't make them interesting, at least let's make them easier, so you can quickly complete it and move on to the fan stuff.

Flutta

Banned
It's way worse, that bit only talk about mj and doesn't even include the worse thing she does in the game, the rest of the game is even woker.

The game may be the wokest game ever made in a timeline that also include goodbye volcano high.

I usually ignore this shit if the game is at least good like in tlou2 or horizon, but in here it's super in your face and not slick or smart in the slightest.

Lol if you ask the die hards this game has nothing that is woke. Tbh i’m glad i didn’t buy the game, i was so hesitant because i got burned many times by Sony. Shit like this makes games/movies unbearable for me.

Sad Inso had to go down this route, another Sony studio down the bin. 😭
Have no hope for Wolve anymore….

Oh well there’s other games to play 🤷‍♂️

ungalo

Besides the fact it's narratively weird, Sony studios tend to think that to make their games better they need to add filler séquences to make longer games, like in God of War Ragnarok.

Spiderman is not bloated like Ragnarok is but still they doubled down on those digressions tossing some weird shit (not just MJ) in the game.

It's like some people are dedicated to making the best product possible while others are actively dragging it down for whatever writing purpose they have.

Last edited:
So I made it to the first one last night at the zoo and I was cracking up because it's clearly an homage to The Last of Us: Part II.

MJ gets shot in the shoulder with and arrow and does the same animation as Ellie. There are also gaps to squeeze through and of course the entire level is abandon and overgrown.

Pretty cool that they did all that, at least she can sprint now, but those sections are so un interesting after playing as Spiderman with web wings for 5-6 hours.

samoilaaa

Did you watch the video? In it, you are playing a 3rd person shooter as MJ. So yeah, it doesn't look like it is from a Spiderman game. It seems they need to split the studio up and have all the girl bosses make a game starring a female lead who kicks patriarchal ass.
nope , that doesnt work for them because nobody would buy it , but everyone buys a spiderman game so its better to implement it in this game , and the message is way better in their eyes if MJ complains to Spiderman how all her life he hold her down and prevented her from achieving her dreams with his toxic masculinity

GymWolf

Lol if you ask the die hards this game has nothing that is woke. Tbh i’m glad i didn’t buy the game, i was so hesitant because i got burned many times by Sony. Shit like this makes games/movies unbearable for me.

Sad Inso had to go down this route, another Sony studio down the bin. 😭
Have no hope for Wolve anymore….

Oh well there’s other games to play 🤷‍♂️
They can't do the same exact thing with wolvy tho.

It would clash too much with the tone, unless they completely fuck up the tone aswell.

It's like some people are dedicated to making the best product possible while others are actively dragging it down for whatever writing purpose they have.
This is what bothers me the most, imagine being a non-woke developer programmer, putting everything you learned through years of hard work in tech, build the best combat system, mechanics, etc. Then comes the woke writer agenda and just butchers your game. This must be happening to a lot of people and I am sure they can't push back without being called out as homophobic or something.

samoilaaa

It would clash too much with the tone, unless they completely fuck up the tone aswell.
trust me they cant turn wolverine into something woke , its their speciality , it will be fun to see how their turn an agressive and grumpy character into someone soft , sensible and caring

i 100% believe that they will do to him what santa monica did to kratos

GymWolf

trust me they cant turn wolverine into something woke , its their speciality , it will be fun to see how their turn an agressive and grumpy character into someone soft , sensible and caring

i 100% believe that they will do to him what santa monica did to kratos
So we are in the same boat, neat.

dude let's not jinx it, mine was wishful thinking

Kratos was still adeguately badass imo, less than old trilogy but that one was also a shit character with only one shtik, i vastly prefer old grumpy dad kratos to just mad ass kratos, but maybe that's just me.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
Very curious to see if Colin and co. or the guys at SG will comment on all of this. They seem like the only ones that would have the balls to do so.

GymWolf

nope , that doesnt work for them because nobody would buy it , but everyone buys a spiderman game so its better to implement it in this game , and the message is way better in their eyes if MJ complains to Spiderman how all her life he hold her down and prevented her from achieving her dreams with his toxic masculinity
Yeah that part was fucking hilarious
, 4 or 5 phases of a (shitty) boss fight because she had A LOT to say about pour peter being a fucking hero and wasting his life doing spidey work and she was not the center of the universe because of it, and peter asking sorry 50 times like a basic bitch.

Literal verbal diarrhea holy shit :LOL:

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

Don’t underestimate woke devs. That’s something i’ve learned during the years. 😅

But i hope you are right. Really want a good Wolve game and Inso seems to know how to make quality super hero games, minus the other garbage that is.

Flutta

Banned

Lol…… if i remember correctly they did the same thing with Kratos and Freya. These feminist blaming their problems on men will always be cringy and funny at the sametime. They are basically screaming ”Look i’m important too, you know”….. bitch no one cares about you that’s not why i bought this game to hear you tell me how insecure you are. These writers stink, they love projecting their garbage on the rest of us, anything they touch turn to shit.

GymWolf

Lol…… if i remember correctly they did the same thing with Kratos and Freya. These feminist blaming their problems on men will always be cringy and funny at the sametime. They are basically screaming ”Look i’m important too, you know”….. bitch no one cares about you that’s not why i bought this game to hear you tell me how insecure you are. These writers stink, they love projecting their garbage on the rest of us, anything they touch turn to shit.
With freya was a bit different tho, odin was a piece of shit with her, completely different situation than peter and MJawline.

I think she was a decent character and vastly better than any female inside spidey 2.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Thats because Kratos and Peter Parker lack emotional intelligence.

Top Bottom