• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Director Explains Why MJ Stealth Scenes Were Included in the Sequel

Draugoth

Gold Member
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Peter-e-Miles.jpg

According to Intihar, Insomniac was well-aware that MJ's missions hadn't been anyone's favorite bit of the first Spider-Man. And they did ponder foregoing them entirely in the sequel. But instead, the team went a different direction:

"We had two choices. We could say, 'All right, we'll make it easy and just not do it.' And everybody would go, 'Great. No MJ missions.' Or we could say, 'Hey, we've talked about showing the world from all different angles. We're going to make her moments better. We're going to take on the challenge. We're going to make people like playing as her.' We pick and choose our spots. We knew we had to make her more of a proactive, capable person. And if she's a little OP, I don't give a shit. She's fine. I don't care."

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
They need to never do a stealth mission ever again if that was them "making it better". 2005 level design in those missions. Pick up rock. Distract enemy. Grab from behind. Repeat repeat repeat. Good god.

Not to mention the enemy AI on those missions is abysmal as well

Last edited:
"We had two choices. We could say, 'All right, we'll make it easy and just not do it.' And everybody would go, 'Great. No MJ missions.' Or we could say, 'Hey, we've talked about showing the world from all different angles. We're going to make her moments better. We're going to take on the challenge. We're going to make people like playing as her.' We pick and choose our spots. We knew we had to make her more of a proactive, capable person. And if she's a little OP, I don't give a shit. She's fine. I don't care."

tl/dr: 'when it comes to certain things, what series fans like or dislike is irrelevant to us...'

ProtoByte

>Or we could say, 'Hey, we've talked about showing the world from all different angles.
>And if she's a little OP, I don't give a shit. She's fine. I don't care.

Open contradiction. You're not showing the world from a different perspective if you make MJ capable of dealing the same foes Miles and Peter have trouble fighting. The best MJ sections were the Kingpin Museum and the Grand Central Station sequences; where she was appropriately placed, and appropriately weak in comparison to the threat.

But like he said, he doesn't care. He's in a Californian studio working for 2 companies entrenched in ESG bullshit, and he doesn't have the backbone to say no. He'd rather annoy the paying customers with pace-breaking nonsense because women are strong and powerful, m'kay?

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
“We had two choices. We could say, 'All right, we'll make it easy and just not do it.' And everybody would go, 'Great. No MJ missions.' Or we could say, 'Hey, we've talked about showing the world from all different angles. We're going to make her moments better. We're going to take on the challenge. We're going to make people like playing as her.' We pick and choose our spots. We knew we had to make her more of a proactive, capable person. And if she's a little OP, I don't give a shit. She's fine. I don’t care.”

Exactly

Last edited:
MJ missions were way better than the first game. They actually had good level design with decent gameplay. People just hating because she isn't the stereotypical feminine damsel in distress or how men want women to behave. Her character in the game wasn't annoying at all, especially comparing to other side characters. Kind of a nice wrinkle to the traditional portray of the character

And, it's quite funny how apoplectic gamers were over her model. It's as if some were so disturbed that they won't be able to be to jackoff to her animated character.

Last edited:
I thought the MJ sections were fine in the first game but in the second they're just comedy. You barely have to stealth at all, just sprint from enemy to enemy and take out everyone with her almighty stun gun before anyone can react, even on Hard difficulty.

Last edited:

ProtoByte

MJ missions were way better than the first game. They actually had good level design with decent gameplay. People just hating because she isn't the stereotypical feminine damsel in distress or how men want women to behave.
Strong woman who is able to walk onto super-powered battlefields and thrive without powers is much more stereotypical at this point.

"How men want women to behave" has nothing to do with. The action zequences where she gets involved are nonsensical, and this reporter angle isn't even mildly accurate to comics MJ - who wasn't a damsel in distress, because she was smart enough to not get involved in the shit in the first place.

Her character in the game wasn't annoying at all, especially comparing to other side characters. Kind of a nice wrinkle to the traditional portray of the character
I was pretty annoyed by her before the first game closed. Getting into arguments with Peter because she snuck into an armed militia outpost and acting like she "can be just as much of a hero" as Spider-Man. But the writers frame it as reasonable, so that's how it comes off to people who aren't paying attention.

And, it's quite funny how apoplectic gamers were over her model. It's as if some were so disturbed that they won't be able to be to jackoff to her animated character.
Oh please. People were and continue to be more concerned about Peter's face. Their facial modeling just isn't up to PlayStation studio standards on the whole. MJ getting the Drew Barrymore face-lift to look "more realistic" or whatever was just ideological icing on the cake.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
They’re what kept this game going above a 9 for me, or taking over AC6 for my GOTY.

If you wanted me to not play Spider-Man in a Spider-Man game then pick interesting choices. Needs to be female? Fine. Let me control black cat when she has that staff as I teleport around, or do a stealth section with her.

These were the worst parts in original Spider-Man , and to bring them back is clearly stubborn asshole developer shit that sticks out like a sore thumb and creates this dynamic of “I know better than you Mr consumer.”

You don’t. You clearly do not get it. No one is pining for this shit.

They clearly know HOW to make interesting non Spider-Man stuff like when you control Venom.

MJ though ? Fuck… rather be Aunt May doing grocery shopping for a FEAST event.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Peter-e-Miles.jpg

According to Intihar, Insomniac was well-aware that MJ's missions hadn't been anyone's favorite bit of the first Spider-Man. And they did ponder foregoing them entirely in the sequel. But instead, the team went a different direction:
lol this is a stupid thing to say and encapsulates everything wrong with these zealots attitudes. ‘we know it’s shit and no one likes it but we’re going to force it down your throat anyway’.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
It's called trying to add variety, especially when you have dual protags that are both Spider-Man. Did you somehow think Wind Waker's stealth sections were woke too? Of course in that it's the same protag put in a situation where he's helpless for lack of gear but you can't do that with Spider-Men.

Why are you like this? This was debunked 3 mins after it surfaced (for anyone not knowing how game dev works and not following the game to know the model they used for MJ long before then) but the kind of tuber you follow and watch and promote is someone who does this shit? Grow up 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:

LordCBH

Ya know what, these are at least serviceable. Now that shit ass Hailey mission should’ve been cut.

Last edited:

Xtib81

Her sections are nothing special, easily forgettable. Stupid ass AI and bad animations, it is no Tlou2 that's for sure.

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned
They're pretty short thankfully, but completely unnecessary and don't really add much to the game.

They're far less egregious than SM2018, so whatever. But probably should have been cut.

That's the common theme with basically everything that is woke garbage.. they add nothing to the games, they're just there for the woke "PLEASE NOTICE US" points.

"We knew we had to make her more of a proactive, capable person. And if she's a little OP, I don't give a shit. She's fine. I don't care."

Matthew Broderick GIF

Last edited:

The Fuzz damn you!

Gold Member
,it is no Tlou2 that's for sure.

I didn’t mind the one MJ mission I’ve played so far (are there more? It sounds like there’s more). They’re easy, sure, but a nice change of pace and better than walking around painting pictures of flowers. I can see why people don’t like them too, although anyone criticising them as “unrealistic” really needs to stop playing video games all together. Learn how to separate fantasy from reality, dudes.

…but MJ bashing hunter faces in with a brick and then setting them on fire? Fuck yes, I would play that.

Unknown?

They need to never do a stealth mission ever again if that was them "making it better". 2005 level design in those missions. Pick up rock. Distract enemy. Grab from behind. Repeat repeat repeat. Good god.

Not to mention the enemy AI on those missions is abysmal as well
They need to make it more like Splinter Cell or MGSV.

Thirty7ven

Banned
My problem with them is that they are meaningless, there’s absolutely no good reason why they are there. They add nothing to the story and the character’s development. Sure they aren’t boring now, really they weren’t. But there was no point to them other than “We should give MJ her own gameplay”, which is senseless.

And listen I get it, strong pro active character. But Miles Morales let’s her crash her bike and potentially injure herself for what? For what? He was right there, right next to her, why wouldn’t he help her? HE HAS SUPER POWERS

Banjo64

cumsessed
Why are you like this? This was debunked 3 mins after it surfaced (for anyone not knowing how game dev works and not following the game to know the model they used for MJ long before then) but the kind of tuber you follow and watch and promote is someone who does this shit? Grow up 🤦‍♂️
what’s been debunked sorry?

there’s a few videos on this and nothing I can see that debunks it.

Thirty7ven

Banned
MJ went from a super model landing roles in Michael Bay movies in the comics to a frumpy Lois Lane clone.

This is true, but there aren’t many careers you can give a comic book character if you want him to be involved in all types of action relating to a city.

SJRB

Gold Member
So how did that work out, are the MJ sections in the new game better?

I love Insomniac but there's been some goofy shit with this game.

Top Bottom