• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Director Explains Why MJ Stealth Scenes Were Included in the Sequel

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Are we really comparing peter with kratos now?
nah im just making a joke about this new bs emotional intelligence trend thats sweeping tiktok where women blame men for divorce along with ALL of their problems because men apparently lack emotional intelligence. Nvm the fact that kratos and peter literally save the world, but hey we must have strong female characters in our games pointing out flaws of our main male characters.

GymWolf

nah im just making a joke about this new bs emotional intelligence trend thats sweeping tiktok where women blame men for divorce along with ALL of their problems because men apparently lack emotional intelligence. Nvm the fact that kratos and peter literally save the world, but hey we must have strong female characters in our games pointing out flaws of our main male characters.
Freya was not like mj, and let's be honest, kratos did way worse than peter and if someone tells him that he was an angry shithead i'm all for it.

I just don't think you can compare both games, freya has many reasons to be like that and it's nowhere near as patronizing as mj.

Flutta

Banned
With freya was a bit different tho, odin was a piece of shit with her, completely different situation than peter and MJawline.

I think she was a decent character and vastly better than any female inside spidey 2.
Yeah Spidey sounds way worse, i don’t think i will ever try and find out how much worse lol.

Sure, they could have made Freya less bitchy and toxic, but they didn’t and we all know why it’s all because of the
”WoMaN Need No MaN” message.

Bro i’ve learned to sniff that shit from a mile away. I seriously can’t turn it off anymore even if i just want to enjoy the gameplay 😭😭😭

bender

What time is it?
Meanwhile motherfucking Spider-man spams all attacks when MJ is a one-hit assassin. She should be saving NYC.

It's obvious why they do it as you wouldn't want to extend those MJ sections any longer and one could argue that they probably shouldn't be in the game at the first place, but it does get at the heart of another problem I have with the combat system in these games as it always feels like enemies always take a combination or two too long to defeat the it makes the encounters start to feel monotonous. At least they toned down the wave after wave base clearing from the originals even if they did add endless hordes with a countdown timer this go around.

GymWolf

Yeah Spidey sounds way worse, i don’t think i will ever try and find out how much worse lol.

Sure, they could have made Freya less bitchy and toxic, but they didn’t and we all know why it’s all because of the
”WoMaN Need No MaN” message.

Bro i’ve learned to sniff that shit from a mile away. I seriously can’t turn it off anymore even if i just want to enjoy the gameplay 😭😭😭
I just don't think she was that bitchy or toxic to begin with.

I never had problem with her being mad a kratos, trolling kratos for his past or being mad at odin.

Chick has seen some shit in her life.

Can you people point out those scenes where she was this bad? Maybe i forgot some word exchange here and there.

Buggy Loop

It's obvious why they do it as you wouldn't want to extend those MJ sections any longer and one could argue that they probably shouldn't be in the game at the first place, but it does get at the heart of another problem I have with the combat system in these games as it always feels like enemies always take a combination or two too long to defeat the it makes the encounters start to feel monotonous. At least they toned down the wave after wave base clearing from the originals even if they did add endless hordes with a countdown timer this go around.

Especially considering his strength, against common thugs it should almost be a one-punch man scenario.

GymWolf

There are various way to make the combat less spongy, air-combat being the best way to fight, way more damage, skill recharge etc, also using the webs strategically make you trap 2-3 enemies in seconds and webs recharge pretty fast, by half game with some attack upgrades a 4 piece combo in the air was enough to dismantle most basic enemies.

If anything the game felt way too easy except like 1 boss fight.

bender

What time is it?
There are various way to make the combat less spongy, air-combat being the best way to fight, way more damage, skill recharge etc, also using the webs strategically make you trap 2-3 enemies in seconds and webs recharge pretty fast, by half game with some attack upgrades a 4 piece combo in the air was enough to dismantle most basic enemies.

If anything the game felt way too easy except like 1 boss fight.

It's not a matter of difficulty.

Especially considering his strength, against common thugs it should almost be a one-punch man scenario.

It's a balance as it's a video game after all. I do think they are trending in the right direction but encounters do drag on a bit too much for my liking, especially towards the end.

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's not a matter of difficulty.
Yeah that bit was unrelated, but like i said, i didn't felt like enemies were super spongy if you play well.

I think the symbiontes were just shitty, annoying enemies to fight more than being spongy.

Last edited:
Some of these people are mentally ill. lol.

One funny thing is that Mary Jane literally looks like the face more more in this game compared to Spider-Man 1

MV5BOTUxYWI4MzEtZGI2Ny00ZWQwLThkY2ItNTFiNGM3ZTNjNzhlXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjQyMzE0MTE@._V1_.jpg
F8HqWkpWQAAdd1N

People calling the Mary Jane missions propaganda .. I can do nothing but shake my head lol
xgcmIQr.jpg
NjPG4Mn.png

Try again

Punished Miku

Gold Member
It would be like The Boys with Spider Man going to kiss MJ and accidentally crushing her face. Punching people and it's just a hole in their abdominal cavity. Spider Man has never really been realistic, which is why The Boys is so funny.

Flutta

Banned
I just don't think she was that bitchy or toxic to begin with.

I never had problem with her being mad a kratos, trolling kratos for his past or being mad at odin.

Chick has seen some shit in her life.

Can you people point out those scenes where she was this bad? Maybe i forgot some word exchange here and there.

That’s what i remember her being when i played the game. She was an insufferable cunt. I mean people hated Kratos for being angry all the time and wanting revenge but somehow we should accept her anger and cuntness instead…. I mean lol. No dig at you just something i’ve observed when people talk about Ragnarok. Either way this is neither here or there. Wrong thread to bring her up in. Back to MJ wanting to be important 🤣

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Yeah they replaced the waves from the bases and instead transferred it over to the repeated stage boss battles.

Nice! First health bar down! Time for two more! Or three!

That shit got old quick. One health bar and a bag full of tricks that need some skill to take down is all it takes. And then maybe divide that one health bar into different stages of the fight.

Saber

Gold Member
nope , that doesnt work for them because nobody would buy it , but everyone buys a spiderman game so its better to implement it in this game , and the message is way better in their eyes if MJ complains to Spiderman how all her life he hold her down and prevented her from achieving her dreams with his toxic masculinity

That part where she turns into a Carnage-like creature and plays the victim and keep blaming/trashtalking him while he continuesly apologies and tells her how great and strong she is might be one of cringests scenes in video game ever. I never saw Peter Parker so soycuked in my entire life.

Imagine buying a Spiderman game, where you can't play as Spiderman the whole time.

You telling me you didn't like to play as a deaf girl for some reason, which includes a complete muted gameplay for imersion? Common man, this is totally a Spider-man game.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
xgcmIQr.jpg
NjPG4Mn.png

Try again

Models look worse in day light compared to night time. This is happens all across the board

Day vs Night
5SC7h9Q.png
ZilABUT.png

Night

62iORut.png
xu23rDz.png

She highly resembles the face models. Facial structure (mouth, cheek, jaw, nose, forehead, eyebrows) is nearly the same.

Her face was even scanned.

1LANfsZ.png

DnatET0VsAAeDZp.jpg

The same features are there and it clearly doesn't translate the same in-game, especially with the lighting they're using.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Freya was not like mj, and let's be honest, kratos did way worse than peter and if someone tells him that he was an angry shithead i'm all for it.

I just don't think you can compare both games, freya has many reasons to be like that and it's nowhere near as patronizing as mj.
Freya was not like MJ but she raised a shithead who was going to kill her. Kratos literally saved her life. And shes mad at him? come on. Why not take some accountability and admit that her decision to rob her son of FEELING ANYTHING is what caused him to try and kill her. But hey easier to blame the man.

The problem i have with these games is that both MJ and Freya are angry women who are constantly shitting on the main character. Maybe its realistic. Maybe thats how the writers view women because their wives blame them for their problems all day and they go and write about it thinking thats what all women do. But to me, thats not what a strong female character is. A strong character should be able to look inward and accept her own flaws instead of being insecure and blaming others. MJ is mad at Peter knowing full well he was under the influence of venom. Then when he apologizes, she is curt with him. instead of loving. Peter accepts it because thats what modern men are supposed to do i guess. Just accept that they have a right to be angry, but never accept women to take any accountability themselves.

So yeah, my problem is with writers. MJ is supposed to be there for peter. Not chastise him. Freya eventually learns to forgive Kratos but not before spending half the game antagonizing him.

honestly, we dont ever see WHY Peter loves her. Whats so special about MJ? other than shes MJ? She wont move in with him to save the house. She wont bother commuiting from queens which is a max 20 minute train ride from flushing. Their bs characterization of these women being boss bitches hurts the storytelling because we detest these women instead of empathizing with them.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do you even MJ takedown, bro?

I havent even started Spider-Man 2 yet (waiting for PC) so I have no idea how good or bad she is, but theres no way shes actually doing this shit in universe when Spider-Man is basically a Ninja on steroids.

Fake

I havent even started Spider-Man 2 yet (waiting for PC) so I have no idea how good or bad she is, but theres no way shes actually doing this shit in universe when Spider-Man is basically a Ninja on steroids.

If you don't want spoilers, don't click. But, is 100% real.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Oh she is absolutely doing all of it. Shes a strong and capable woman, Stride. Deal with it :messenger_sunglasses:

:messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy::messenger_tears_of_joy:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The other two look just like Miles and Peter, though.
Most of the actors do.

You can think the model is ugly or not.. The fact is, she does look like the face model, and her face was scanned.

It's also easy to see why she looks different compared to the first game. When she was younger, she had more weight on her face and it was more round compared to when she was scanned for Spider-Man 2.

Models look worse in day light compared to night time. This is happens all across the board

Day vs Night
5SC7h9Q.png
ZilABUT.png

Night

62iORut.png
xu23rDz.png

She highly resembles the face models. Facial structure (mouth, cheek, jaw, nose, forehead, eyebrows) is nearly the same.

1LANfsZ.png

DnatET0VsAAeDZp.jpg

The same features are there and it clearly doesn't translate the same in-game, especially with the lighting they're using.
5ABfQJH.jpg

Night scene

RZOw1yr.png
IHfUO4f.png

Same scene.

Looks like the face model. The fact that you keep posting blurry images only proves how hard you're trying to push the narrative.
But let’s take a look at your narratives,

“She looks just like her facial model guys”

“Here’s her not looking anything like her facial model”

“Uhhhh ummmm that’s uhhh because the rendering engine can’t handle daytime well! *At night* she looks like her facial model!”

“Here’s her at night not lookin like her facial model”

“Ummm welll uhhhhh here’s um some other angles of that scene! One of her looking down and another with a metal bar blocking the bottom her face! Quit posting blurry pictures bro!!“

Doesn’t seem too solid

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
“Blurry images”?

Lol “my made up claim PROVES you’re wrong arkhamguy123!”

What are you looking at my post on a 4k tv? Lol

You didn't make a claim. All you did was post a screenshot and say, "try again."

That's not a real argument.

But let’s take a look at your narratives,

“She looks just like her facial model guys”

“Here’s her not looking anything like her facial model”

“Uhhhh ummmm that’s uhhh because the rendering engine can’t handle daytime well! *At night* she looks like her facial model!”

“Here’s her at night not lookin like her facial model”

“Ummm welll uhhhhh here’s um some other angles of that scene! One of her looking down and another with a metal bar blocking the bottom her face! Quit posting blurry pictures bro!!“

I posted clear in-game pictures and compared them to the face model and said she looked the same.

I'm not here to debate whether or not she looks ugly. I know you posted low-quality while replying to my post.

As I said before, I'm not expecting some people on here to be reasonable.

You didn't make a claim. All you did was post a screenshot and say, "try again."

That's not a real argument.

I posted clear in-game pictures and compared them to the face model and said she looked the same.

I'm not here to debate whether or not she looks ugly. I know you posted low-quality while replying to my post.

As I said before, I'm not expecting some people on here to be reasonable.
YOUR made up claim dude. Read my post, quit skimming. Your response wasn’t even related to what I said lol

And your clear in game pictures still didn’t look like the face model

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
YOUR made up claim dude. Read my post, quit skimming. Your response wasn’t even related to what I said lol

And your clear in game pictures still didn’t look like the face model
It's not. I used pictures as a comparison and explained my position.

Again, I'm not expecting some people on here to be reasonable. You can argue with yourself.

It's not. I used pictures as a comparison and explained my position.

Again, I'm not expecting some people on here to be reasonable. You can argue with yourself.
Oh. My. God. I might as well be arguing with myself because you’re not reading or comprehending anything I’m saying. I was talking about you saying the pictures were blurry. Jesus man

fact of the matter is Insomniac changed her character model to be less conventionally attractive. Sorry. Even the pictures you posted are maaaaaybe closer(?) but no cigar. Still doesn’t look like the face they scanned. You lost buddy. Hold the L. It’s not up for debate

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I have zero love toward Spider Man or any marvel crap but in my opinion devs dont have to "explain" anything to anybody. At end of the day its their fucking game and they can put anything they want and we are free to like it or not.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Freya was not like MJ but she raised a shithead who was going to kill her. Kratos literally saved her life. And shes mad at him? come on. Why not take some accountability and admit that her decision to rob her son of FEELING ANYTHING is what caused him to try and kill her. But hey easier to blame the man.

The problem i have with these games is that both MJ and Freya are angry women who are constantly shitting on the main character. Maybe its realistic. Maybe thats how the writers view women because their wives blame them for their problems all day and they go and write about it thinking thats what all women do. But to me, thats not what a strong female character is. A strong character should be able to look inward and accept her own flaws instead of being insecure and blaming others. MJ is mad at Peter knowing full well he was under the influence of venom. Then when he apologizes, she is curt with him. instead of loving. Peter accepts it because thats what modern men are supposed to do i guess. Just accept that they have a right to be angry, but never accept women to take any accountability themselves.

So yeah, my problem is with writers. MJ is supposed to be there for peter. Not chastise him. Freya eventually learns to forgive Kratos but not before spending half the game antagonizing him.

honestly, we dont ever see WHY Peter loves her. Whats so special about MJ? other than shes MJ? She wont move in with him to save the house. She wont bother commuiting from queens which is a max 20 minute train ride from flushing. Their bs characterization of these women being boss bitches hurts the storytelling because we detest these women instead of empathizing with them.
I can still partially understand a mother going batshit insane against the killer of her son, it's at least more nuanced.

And she gets progressively less mad until the end where she is basically a full on ally, and it's not half game when she gets better, she is friendly way before reaching half point because she understand kratos point of view.

She is still a somehow pleasant and interesting character, and she has a reason for being a badass since you know, she is a fucking god and an ex queen valkyrie.

Last edited:
smh. no surprise it's 'sweeping tiktok' - you can't get more oxymoronic than that...

Last edited:

Day vs Night
5SC7h9Q.png
ZilABUT.png

Night

62iORut.png
xu23rDz.png

1LANfsZ.png

DnatET0VsAAeDZp.jpg

There is some resemblance, but the result is far less attractive. In a normal world, the developers would adjust the image until it looked good. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world, we live in a world that any suggestion that they should adjust the image to make it more attractive would be shouted down by their colleagues as a sexist attempt to reward the toxic male gaze, with the person making the suggestion fired and blackballed for being a sexist. So nobody dares to say anything, and it becomes an emperor with no clothes situation where the entire company doesn't have one person who dares to say out loud what everyone can see with their plain eyes, and they allow the game to ship with the ugly MJ model.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
There is some resemblance, but the result is far less attractive. In a normal world, the developers would adjust the image until it looked good. Unfortunately, we don't live in that world, we live in a world that any suggestion that they should adjust the image to make it more attractive would but shouted down by their colleagues as a sexist attempt to reward the toxic male gaze, with the person making the suggestion fired and blackballed for being a sexist. So nobody dares to say anything, and it becomes an emperor with no clothes situation where the entire company doesn't have one person who dares to say out loud what everyone can see with their plain eyes, and they allow the game to ship with the ugly MJ model.

The result is a typical face scan for a video game character. If what you say is true, then they would go out of their way to make Black Cat "ugly." She is nearly the same as her face model. You can pinpoint her cheeks, mouth, jaw, eyes, etc, and match it with the actress.

What the developers typically do is make their clothing look less revealing. This happened to Mortal Kombat characters after Mortal Kombat 9, R-Mika and Juri in Street Fighter 5.

What's funny about the Mortal Kombat 9 controversy is that people think they made Mortal Kombat characters ugly in MK 10 and 11, even though the facial models in Mortal Kombat 9 looked like jack shit.

Sure, they might choose ugly/unattractive actresses to play a role not to sexualize characters, but it's clear this isn't the result of trying to make the character "look ugly." Go look at WWE 2k games and see how many female wrestler faces translate into the game. Some of them look bad and didn't translate well into the video game. I bet people on here would accuse them of making them look ugly on purpose.

Buggy Loop

Holy crap, i just took the time to go through it all. How did it score so high for this garbage story? I don't think I would even buy it on PC now, seeing as the first game is not my cup of tea, this seems even worse story wise.

Icing on the cake would have been MJ doing a lesbian scene in front of Peter while he slowly walks away with his tail between his leg. Such a strong character. /s

Last edited:

Flutta

Banned

You nailed it. So many times i wanted to shut the game down because of her ranting about how much more she's suffered compared to Kratos. I mean it's like those damn writers don't even know the story of the character the game is about. Idiots!.
I was on the phone so couldn't go in too much detail. Either way, having female characters being "bitchy and toxic = strong female " is the modern way of thinking according to the libs. But what most of these weak, mentally ill writers fail to understand is that this shit has a ripple effect its design to destroying the dynamic between men and women. This is effing everywhere from movies, shows and now games. They want the two sexes to always be fighting for whatever reason may be to disrupt the natural order of things, weaken the nuclear family etc etc. That's how they program females to behave towards their loved ones. Now image making MJ be more agreeable, understanding or loving.... that's being weak and incapable according to them. These people are nut jobs and rewarding them with your money is basically saying "Good job, please continue feeding us more of this delicious poison"

Last edited:

Eiknarf

Banned
Marvels-Spider-Man-2-Peter-e-Miles.jpg

According to Intihar, Insomniac was well-aware that MJ's missions hadn't been anyone's favorite bit of the first Spider-Man. And they did ponder foregoing them entirely in the sequel. But instead, the team went a different direction:
And they made her look like she's the daughter of Jesse from CONTROL by Remedy

PeteBull

You nailed it. So many times i wanted to shut the game down because of her ranting about how much more she's suffered compared to Kratos. I mean it's like those damn writers don't even know the story of the character the game is about. Idiots!.
I was on the phone so couldn't go in too much detail. Either way, having female characters being "bitchy and toxic = strong female " is the modern way of thinking according to the libs. But what most of these weak, mentally ill writers fail to understand is that this shit has a ripple effect its design to destroying the dynamic between men and women. This is effing everywhere from movies, shows and now games. They want the two sexes to always be fighting for whatever reason may be to disrupt the natural order of things, weaken the nuclear family etc etc. That's how they program females to behave towards their loved ones. Now image making MJ be more agreeable, understanding or loving.... that's being weak and incapable according to them. These people are nut jobs and rewarding them with your money is basically saying "Good job, please continue feeding us more of this delicious poison"
Yup, even here in poland u got that woke narrative among some women, then they wonder they cant keep a guy rofl, or that they cant get married, no sane guy gonna marry such monster, even if sex is e-mazin, obviously u dont wanna have kids either coz its obvious longterm diseaster, let them be "strong females", but single, irl guy like peter parker wouldnt even fanthom any thought of dating such monstrousotity as mj is in spiderman2 ;D

Top Bottom