• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 Director Explains Why MJ Stealth Scenes Were Included in the Sequel

yurinka

If what Insomniac wanted was to give some female character a -playable- protagonism because of patriarchy potatoes, and they knew that MJ stealth sections did suck, maybe it would have been a good idea to include some Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen or Black Cat playable portion, that would be a good fit. And maybe even use it as a teaser for a spinoff game.

But maybe that required too much work so they decided to rehash the stealth stuff they already had made.

Last edited:
Let’s be real he doesn’t care because they can throw as many shitty segments in it and it’ll still sell for $70 +tip because it says “Spider-Man” on the cover.
rrVXUdL.jpg

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yep, she did. Just double-checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

KJEQ8on.jpg
kHyITMT.jpg

cc: MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh tagging you so you can easily find this post and leave a laugh emoji 😛

P.S. Topher Topher

I know it, it was said in the game. It’s still laughable how easily she dispose of professional hunters that entire life revolves around hunting their pray and that her zippy zappy gun can destroy venom monsters in like 3 shots, much faster than Spider-Man can deal with them.

Yes, I realise that it’s a game based on comic book but this is dog shit and ridiculous even for comic book logic standards.

Topher

Gold Member
Yep, she did. Just double-checked to make sure I wasn't hallucinating.

KJEQ8on.jpg
kHyITMT.jpg

cc: MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh tagging you so you can easily find this post and leave a laugh emoji 😛

P.S. Topher Topher

Ah...ok, I was wrong then about her getting training. That gun is still OP in her last mission though when she is escaping, not in stealth, and taking out symbiotes with one or two shots. And I'm with MidGenRefresh MidGenRefresh that it is still a bit farfetched that she is able to take out Kraven's soldiers and symbiotes, but whatever. Its a minor thing for missions that really shouldn't be there at all, imo.

DanielG165

Not every detail is spoon fed in the game but Mary Jane was in Symkaria where she met Silver Sable (they become friends there as per the Earth-1048 version of Mary Jane), wouldn't be unthinkable that she would have learned self defense there.
Against highly trained hunters, with at most a few months worth of training, though? Probably less than that, realistically speaking, as she was also knee deep in reporting at the time.

Last edited:

Rheon

This take doesn't make any sense since she's not punching them, choking them or anything like that, she's using a stungun + web shooter, therefore her size isn't relevent. Also Peter and Miles do not have any trouble taking these guys down in this situation, Spider-man one shots these enemies while in stealth with a single web strike, quicker than MJ's animation.

However way you slice it, she is still overpowering multiple enemies in quick succession bigger than her with little to no effort.

X-Wing

Against highly trained hunters, with at most a few months worth of training, though? Probably less than that, realistically speaking, as she was also knee deep in reporting at the time.
In a world where a dude becomes a lizard and another has dark jelly coming out of his back? Yeah. It’s fine.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

To be fair we don't really see her going toe to toe with enemies unless she catches a guy by surprise and does a leg sweep followed by being stunned with her OP gun. If MJ is discovered then she is quickly killed. She is only really effective in stealth for the most part.

It's only really that last mission where her stun gun is taking out a dozen or so symbiotes that it gets farfetched.

Last edited:
Question for the thread:

You're tasked with making Mary Jane gameplay sections. This is mandatory. How do you do it?

A) Like the last game where if you get caught it's essentially over (Makes sense for story but many will complain about terrible gameplay)
B) Like this game where she's an Ubisoft Stealth game protagonist (Makes for fun gameplay but only some will complain about story)
C) Other?

(C cannot be 'don't do it' as this is mandatory).

Senua

Question for the thread:

You're tasked with making Mary Jane gameplay sections. This is mandatory. How do you do it?

A) Like the last game where if you get caught it's essentially over (Makes sense for story but many will complain about terrible gameplay)
B) Like this game where she's an Ubisoft Stealth game protagonist (Makes for fun gameplay but only some will complain about story)
C) Other?

Angry Conan Obrien GIF by Team Coco

Fake

Let’s be real he doesn’t care because they can throw as many shitty segments in it and it’ll still sell for $70 +tip because it says “Spider-Man” on the cover.
rrVXUdL.jpg

I guess little step by step people are understanding that.

Is just like saying 'Pokemon Scarlet and Violet are good game because of how polish/fun/no glitches this game is, just look at the sales', instead of no matter how bad the game is, will sell anyways because have a huge 'POKEMON' name on the cover.

Last edited:

Hudo

Dunno about you but the game is called Spider-Man. So I'd want to play as Spider-Man.

Otherwise call the game "Into the Spider-Verse" or "Spider-Men" or "Spider-Man Gaiden: MJ"

Strategize

However way you slice it, she is still overpowering multiple enemies in quick succession bigger than her with little to no effort.
Except I explained how she isn't actually physically overpowering anyone, which you ignored, but sure. Your mind was obvoiusly made up the second we started playing as her, don't pretend you have an argument here if your claims don't hold up under scrutiny, just say you don't like it and move on.

Last edited:

Rheon

Except I explained how she isn't actually physically overpowering anyone, which you ignored, but sure. Your mind was obvoiusly made up the second we started playing as her, don't pretend you have an argument here if your claims don't hold up under scrutiny, just say you don't like it and move on.

So taking down enemies isn't overpowering them? News to me.

What scrutiny are my claims not holding up under? Like I already said, it's a video game so whatever.

Strategize

So taking down enemies isn't overpowering them? News to me.

What scrutiny are my claims not holding up under? Like I already said, it's a video game so whatever.
With a stun gun used by sable ops and an enemy that you have a drop on? No, it isn't "overpowering", just go up to them bzzzzzz, job done.

The only reply to that is "well why are the enemies while in stealth so dumb" but that isn't exclusive to MJ, they're also dumb in the regular stealth gameplay aswell where it takes them ages to spot you right in front of them, so absolutely I believe MJ could wipe out most of a base just stealth stun gunning everyone, because they're dumb, but in a direct phsyical battle she no doubt gets wrecked almost straight away.

Last edited:

sendit

Crazy outrage. However, this is a superhero game. The suspension of belief should be locked in a box. For shits and giggles, Mary Jane stun gunning human enemies or Black Widow taking on Thanos. I'm actually more outraged that they completely nerfed Spiderman's spidey senses. Kraven stabbing him at point blank range....

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

She is more powerful than all the Avengers combined, with just her little gun 🔫🔫she neutralizes an army💪 .
😆😂
This game is a joke. 🤡

El juego tiene muchos memes 😂

Holy shit that’s embarrassing. I can’t wait to play as that bad ass. Her skills put the spidermen’s to shame.

Last edited:

BouncyFrag

Question for the thread:

C) Other?

Nothing would change except the baddies would now call her ‘potato face’ and say that she was the worst girlfriend ever.

X-Wing

Crazy outrage. However, this is a superhero game. The suspension of belief should be locked in a box. For shits and giggles, Mary Jane stun gunning human enemies or Black Widow taking on Thanos. I'm actually more outraged that they completely nerfed Spiderman's spidey senses. Kraven stabbing him at point blank range....
Spoilers

Thirty7ven

Banned
Question for the thread:

C) Other?

C) Make her sections more about social stealth and less traditional stealth

Her action moments should come by way of using the things in the environment to her advantage, and maybe give her a couple of chase sequences.

But what they did here is just stupid.

Wunray

If we're being 100% honest, Sable was also ridiculously OP in the first game. Silver Sable is just a human and was able to get the drop on a superhuman who can sense danger (multiple times, mind you - does his spider-sense just not work on her for some reason?), and can easily kick his ass in a one-on-one boss battle in the DLC:

This fight was ridiculous on Ultimate difficulty btw, she can literally one-shot kill Spider-Man lmao

But hey, you're right about one thing - that kind of bullshit undoubtedly laid the groundwork for Spider-Man 2's silliness.

No Nadein Ross did. (I think that's how you spell her name, UC4 superhuman)

StereoVsn

Question for the thread:

C) Other?

Another spider 🕷️ bites her. She gets spider powers. Now we can have the gameplay we actually want.

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS
Her "stealth" mission's weren't nearly as bad as that forced "side quest", you all know what I'm talking about. It felt like I was playing a shitty Concrete Genie, not Spider-Man.

Trilobit

Is this video accurate? I found MJ insufferable already in S-M 1, but they seem to have dialed it up to 11 in the sequel. All of the time I was thinking what in the whole world Peter saw in her, he could do so much better and have a healthier relationship. If Insomniac is so in love with her, why not do a MJ-centered game and let Spider-Man be Spider-Man?

JayK47

The more I hear and see about this game the less I want to play it. This doesn't even look like a Spiderman game. And MJ is modeled after some woke ass middle aged writer for the game? Wow. Poor MJ. I imagine Insomniac is the kind of company that never says no to any female employees. Wouldn't want to offend them.

I may just pass on this game altogether. Definitely not worth buying a PS5 for it. If this never gets released on PC, I may never play it. It needs a PC release so mods can fix some of this shit. At least a new MJ model for sure.

PeteBull

Lots of people saying woke here. That word still has meaning or is it just encompassing things you don’t like?
Im just gonna say this, all of us who pointed out all the woke stupitidy would be banned on shitera 10 times over, godbless evilore for keeping site sane so devs can be called out for their stupid takes, and not by reviewers who get free copies, not by woke twitter crowd who doesnt buy games, but by actual gamers.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yes,I'm bawling....
0Mc7tJt.jpg

Whatsoever will I do not being a pathetic fanboy like you who deflects any negativity or criticism around his favourite shit.

Maybe next time try to take a step back,take off your fanboy glasses and understand that just because something is good it doesn't mean it should be excused from any criticism.

Some of them are doing the same thing in the Spider-Man 2 buggiest Sony game thread for no reason too.

Top Bottom