• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils £300 smartphone metaverse gadget that can map your moves onto anime-like characters

Would you get a set?

• Total voters

Sleepwalker

FZ55EjOUcAApYwd.jpg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Can you do the tracking anywhere?l with that? Looks like you’re limited with your VR equipment.

I see a lot excitement in the twitter post. It seems to be offering new ways of doing tracking. You can take it anywhere now.
How is someone going to stream without a VR equipment? Most full body tracking vtuber content is VR rather than AR, because thats what most people watch

Take this Suisei concert for example(3D Live starts at 2:02). Ofcourse, Suisei would be wearing a VR headset while recording this.

You will still need to use a VR gear with Mocopi to stream yourself. Or just stare at a Monitor. Most vtubers only use full body tracking in special occasions, otherwise they will just use a webcam or smartphone.
I guess you are wondering why that guy is wearing Mocopi in real life? You can make vtuber related AR content too. Someone probably has to capture that from a 3rd person perspective

Kyoto Vlog from 5:11. Laplus AR scenes at 7:19-7:35, 8:32-9:52, 10:24-11:04, 11:44-11:50, 12:15-12:23, 12:42-12:50, 14:20-14:26, 14:38-17:06, 17:53-18:03, 19:15-19:28
unknown.png

Or the Miyabi Vlogs

Hatoba Tsugu has already been doing cool AR shit from 2018

Ultimately AR clips with vtubers are not that popular. Its a novelty. But most would rather watch stuff like this

The part from 16:43. Now thats impressive.

This is why I called this impressive. Without wearing any gear, hand tracking through web cams.
It doesn't matter that she feels comfortable with it.

There's no getting around that it at best looks janky, and is a bit bulky and cumbersome. Most people are going to nope straight away from that.

Even the Tundra one looks quite big in comparison.
I don't get how you keep claiming this is any more bulky than what you posted in the OP.
slimeVRProduction.jpg

Not only will that appeal to casual users, but it might even interest fitness people. There's no way outside of a mini home gym or lab that fitness people would bother with SlimeVR or Tundra.
The whole point is to control a Live2D avatar through motion tracking. What has a motion tracking device got to do with fitness anyway?
Also, regarding Slimy VR you keep calling it janky and claim
Most people are going to nope straight away from that.
And you seem pretty confident about Mocopi
Some sleek Sony product though, that you can put in a (big) pocket?
I don't trying to sell Mocopi with a brand name? Few posts back I talked about the vtuber agencies owned by Sony like VERSEⁿ, VEE and PRISM Project. Surely, they would have been amazing with their tech because they are owned by such a large corporation. Those amazing 3D shows I showed you? Too bad none of their agencies ever got anything like that. VERSEⁿ merely got this

image.png

image.png

Clearly they could not sell vtubers with a brand. And you are selling me a product you have never tried with a brand. They own Crunchyroll, yet they heavily promoted holo/niji in that with almost no presence of their own vtubers.
Hololive/Nijisanji/Holostars were massively promoted. Prism Project was barely their alongside others, and they forgot they also owned VERSEⁿ and VEE.
They have so much confidence in this product that is supposed to blow up and will be supposedly popular among "casuals", that they didn't even use it to showcase full body tracker of their own vtubers. And Riot Music can do their own 3D

Also first time I have seen someone respond to chat live in a 3D concert. So it was not even pre-recorded.

Heck Phase Content, another small agency but actually independent did this

image.png

Pippa even invited Depressed Nousagi(guy who makes videos about vtubers) into her channel for a podcast

I don't even see any effort ever being made to promote VERSEⁿ, VEE or PRISM Project ever. And somehow this will "blow up among casuals". How do you know this won't be janky? In the first place what is even a casual?
I don't understand why people like you can't accept there being alternatives, that perhaps fill a slightly different niche. No, everything has about who was 'first' or some shit, even if the argument isn't even valid or relevant.
Because you and people posting in this thread assuming the tech in OP is brand new "I see huge potential for this, it would be huge in TikTok". Even though this tech is already present. They want the money from the vtuber industry but investing less than much smaller agencies. And you are telling me this will blow up?

Last edited:

Tams

How is someone going to stream without a VR equipment? Most full body tracking vttuber content is VR rather than AR, because thats what most people watch

Take this Suisei concert for example(3D Live starts at 2:02). Ofcourse, Suisei would be wearing a VR headset while recording this.

You will still need to use a VR gear with Mocopi to stream yourself. Or just stare at a Monitor. Most vtubers only use full body tracking in special occasions, otherwise they will just use a webcam or smartphone.
I guess you are wondering why that guy is wearing Mocopi in real life? You can make vtuber related AR content too. Someone probably has to capture that from a 3rd person perspective

Kyoto Vlog from 5:11. Laplus AR scenes at 7:19-7:35, 8:32-9:52, 10:24-11:04, 11:44-11:50, 12:15-12:23, 12:42-12:50, 14:20-14:26, 14:38-17:06, 17:53-18:03, 19:15-19:28
unknown.png

Or the Miyabi Vlogs

Hatoba Tsugu has already been doing cool AR shit from 2018

Ultimately AR clips with vtubers are not that popular. Its a novelty. But most would rather watch stuff like this

This is why I called this impressive. Without wearing any gear, hand tracking through web cams.

I don't get how you keep claiming this is any more bulky than what you posted in the OP.
slimeVRProduction.jpg

The whole point is to control a Live2D avatar through motion tracking. What has a motion tracking device got to do with fitness anyway?
Also, regarding Slimy VR you keep calling it janky and claim

And you seem pretty confident about Mocopi

I don't trying to sell Mocopi with a brand name? Few posts back I talked about the vtuber agencies owned by Sony like VERSEⁿ, VEE and PRISM Project. Surely, they would have been amazing with their tech because they are owned by such a large corporation. Those amazing 3D shows I showed you? Too bad none of their agencies ever got anything like that. VERSEⁿ merely got this

image.png

image.png

Clearly they could not sell vtubers with a brand. And you are selling me a product you have never tried with a brand. They own Crunchyroll, yet they heavily promoted holo/niji in that with almost no presence of their own vtubers.

They have so much confidence in this product that is supposed to blow up and will be supposedly popular among "casuals", that they didn't even use it to showcase full body tracker of their own vtubers. And Riot Music can do their own 3D

Also first time I have seen someone respond to chat live in a 3D concert. So it was not even pre-recorded.

Heck Phase Content, another small agency but actually independent did this

image.png

Pippa even invited Depressed Nousagi(guy who makes videos about vtubers) into her channel for a podcast

I don't even see any effort ever being made to promote VERSEⁿ, VEE or PRISM Project ever. And somehow this will "blow up among casuals". How do you know this won't be janky? In the first place what is even a casual?

Because you and people posting in this thread assuming the tech in OP is brand new "I see huge potential for this, it would be huge in TikTok". Even though this tech is already present. They want the money from the vtuber industry but investing less than much smaller agencies. And you are telling me this will blow up?

Mate, I get it. You really care about V-tubers. I don't (find them disturbing tbh) and don't care to read an essay about them.

But you are just wrong on this. This Sony product looks considerably smaller, better built, and easier to use.

You for some bizarre reason want this to fail. A product you clearly have no interest in.

Mate, I get it. You really care about V-tubers. I don't (find them disturbing tbh) and don't care to read an essay about them.

But you are just wrong on this. This Sony product looks considerably smaller, better built, and easier to use.

You for some bizarre reason want this to fail. A product you clearly have no interest in.
Technically this is designed to be the direct competiter to what is available on iphones. Hololive give all their new members an Iphone as a part of their employment package so that they can do the bare minimum streaming with it and their in-house software. So this new product is offering an alternative to prevent iphones from becoming the only option.

Also, I suspect this is designed to be the middle ground between "only streaming the face from neck up" and "spend a thousand dollars buying tracking equipment". Basically being affordable but reliable limb tracking,

Last edited:
Top Bottom