• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony unveils £300 smartphone metaverse gadget that can map your moves onto anime-like characters

Would you get a set?

• Total voters

Tams

The YouTube video says it records to the BVH format, which a rudimentary search tells me is a common and well-supported motion caption format.

It also says that the motion data can be sent to a PC in real time, as well as other software and services.

So it seems like using it for third-party use could be quite simple and maybe not even require any updates for some.

Honestly, it looks pretty cool if you're into that whole thing. Sleek package too.

Something like it would be great for Ring Fit, but I very much doubt most users of that would be prepared to pony up £300.

I'm surprised a fitness company hasn't really tried. Now there is a market with miney to throw around. Moov was close with a boxing 'game' they had. It was actually quite fun and a good workout. They went under though.

Last edited:

Moses85

what is this wtf GIF by Andrea

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
cool but no thanks
if i wanted to map my IRL moves onto an anime character i'd get a VR headset and full body tracking... more accurate and more believable looking.
speaking of, sony should make their own full body set for their PSVR already

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Gaffers may not know, but Live2D+Motion Tracking has been a thing since 2016. You don't need any hardware for that, but when then do use them its way more amazing than what you see in the OP. Its called "vtubers".

I do at least appreciate them not even pretending that dudes who will buy this will turn themselves into anything other than anime girls
Or they can turn into anime boys

Last edited:
Gaffers may not know, but Live2D+Motion Tracking has been a thing since 2016. You don't need any hardware for that, but when then do use them its way more amazing than what you see in the OP. Its called "vtubers".

wtf did i just watch?

that's enough internet for me

Tams

cool but no thanks
if i wanted to map my IRL moves onto an anime character i'd get a VR headset and full body tracking... more accurate and more believable looking.
speaking of, sony should make their own full body set for their PSVR already

Ummm, so you're not really the target audience then?

And this could be used with a VR headset. It would be cheaper than other full body tracking and less bulky. Obviously, the compromise is that the resolution and accuracy will be lower.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
And this could be used with a VR headset. It would be cheaper than other full body tracking and less bulky. Obviously, the compromise is that the resolution and accuracy will be lower.
sign me up then, i'm certainly interested in that case.

Bernkastel

You just need an iPhone or Android or PC with webcam to use Live2D and become a vtuber
Thats way more cheaper and less bulky.

This girl is just using an iphone

Or you can use full body tracking in VR

Or actually buy mocap equipment

Last edited:

Tams

It'll depend on others supporting them, but from the sounds of it, it does seem like it should be trivial to do.

What I'm really interested in is if anyone will make a sports app that could utilise this data. I'd code it myself if I couldn't code for shit.

Bernkastel

wtf did i just watch?

that's enough internet for me
They basically rule YouTube superchats
I don't get how everyone is pretending this is some new innovative tech. It was innovative when Kizuna Ai debuted in 2016 or when Anycolor and Cover Corp. used it for livestreams through a smartphone app. Now there are so many of them.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It'll depend on others supporting them, but from the sounds of it, it does seem like it should be trivial to do.

What I'm really interested in is if anyone will make a sports app that could utilise this data. I'd code it myself if I couldn't code for shit.

hopefully it compares to tundra VR since i am also eyeing that for full body tracking in VR

yurinka

Not for me, but seems it's a very cool tech that in a world where Tik Tok, Just Dance or Wii Fit are huge hits I see a lot of potential on this.

I see potential as using this for full body tracking in VR/metaverse games, for vtubers (which are very big in Asia), for controller for dancing games or fitness apps etc.

And in the professional level, it's going to be great for -specially indies who can't afford complex mocap sets- game devs or animators to get a quality low budget motion capture.

But I think the main usage will end being for stuff like this:
8CHNYWO.gif

P.S.: In Spanish 'moco' means 'bugger'.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

VERSEⁿ, VEE and PRISM Project failed. And they are still trying hoping something finally sticks.
Maybe they will use their own agencies to promote this tech with their 3D debut. But they barely are 2-view and many small corpos and indies can easily get much better CCV, so I don't know if they will ever get a 3D debut. Also
They barely promoted their own agencies in CR expo. Hololive/Nijisanji/Holostars were massively promoted. Prism Project was barely their alongside others, and they forgot they also owned VERSEⁿ and VEE.
But no one from VERSEⁿ, VEE, PRISM Project or even NHOT BOT was used in the promo for this tech. Its like they forgot they existed.

Last edited:

Bernkastel

VERSEⁿ, VEE and PRISM Project failed. And they are still trying hoping something finally sticks.
Maybe they will use their own agencies to promote this tech with their 3D debut. But they barely are 2-view and many small corpos and indies can easily get much better CCV, so I don't know if they will ever get a 3D debut. Also
They barely promoted their own agencies in CR expo. Hololive/Nijisanji/Holostars were massively promoted. Prism Project was barely their alongside others, and they forgot they also owned VERSEⁿ and VEE.
But no one from VERSEⁿ, VEE, PRISM Project or even NHOT BOT was used in the promo for this tech. Its like they forgot they existed.
If the point is to be cheaper than vive trackers, than SlimeVR already does this for cheaper plus its fully open source and open hardware

Last edited:

Tams

If the point is to be cheaper than vive trackers, than SlimeVR already does this for cheaper plus its fully open source and open hardware

Yeah, janky stuff that looks like it could catch on fire.

I'm sure SlimeVR is great, but it's never going to be popular and it isn't as convenient.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
There's nothing that makes me cringe more than whenever I get linked a Vtuber video with some small anime girl. No. Why.

Bernkastel

Yeah, janky stuff that looks like it could catch on fire.
She seems very comfortable with it (talks about her experience 6:17 onwards) and considers it easier to move around than Vive. As for the software, the thing is open source(both hardware and software) and its still not on 1.0 release(aka still on beta).
I'm sure SlimeVR is great, but it's never going to be popular and it isn't as convenient.
Not popular compared to what? Ofcourse people would rather play a bit more for Vive instead. Lets say you want your full body avatar to be in Live2D and like those holo/niji 3D reveals you want it to look like your normal Live2D avatar with Vtube Studio through your iPhone and when you consider how much rigging artists take for making your Live2D avatar full 3D. At that point, "cheap" it is not a question. Some like Kson even built a mocap studio in there house. If its just for full body tracking there are actually many cheap options. Here is another affordable full body tracker.

Although its funny to see some people react like this is some new tech that never existed
image.png

I guess they never heard of Live2D which is already used in so many places.
image.png

The part from 16:43. Now thats impressive.

Last edited:

ergem

You just need an iPhone or Android or PC with webcam to use Live2D and become a vtuber
Thats way more cheaper and less bulky.

This girl is just using an iphone

Or you can use full body tracking in VR

Or actually buy mocap equipment

Can you do the tracking anywhere?l with that? Looks like you’re limited with your VR equipment.

I see a lot excitement in the twitter post. It seems to be offering new ways of doing tracking. You can take it anywhere now.

Tams

She seems very comfortable with it (talks about her experience 6:17 onwards) and considers it easier to move around than Vive. As for the software, the thing is open source(both hardware and software) and its still not on 1.0 release(aka still on beta).

Not popular compared to what? Ofcourse people would rather play a bit more for Vive instead. Lets say you want your full body avatar to be in Live2D and like those holo/niji 3D reveals you want it to look like your normal Live2D avatar with Vtube Studio through your iPhone and when you consider how much rigging artists take for making your Live2D avatar full 3D. At that point, "cheap" it is not a question. Some like Kson even built a mocap studio in there house. If its just for full body tracking there are actually many cheap options. Here is another affordable full body tracker.

Although its funny to see some people react like this is some new tech that never existed
image.png

I guess they never heard of Live2D which is already used in so many places.
image.png

The part from 16:43. Now thats impressive.

It doesn't matter that she feels comfortable with it.

There's no getting around that it at best looks janky, and is a bit bulky and cumbersome. Most people are going to nope straight away from that.

Even the Tundra one looks quite big in comparison.

Some sleek Sony product though, that you can put in a (big) pocket?

Not only will that appeal to casual users, but it might even interest fitness people. There's no way outside of a mini home gym or lab that fitness people would bother with SlimeVR or Tundra.

I don't understand why people like you can't accept there being alternatives, that perhaps fill a slightly different niche. No, everything has about who was 'first' or some shit, even if the argument isn't even valid or relevant.

Last edited:
Top Bottom