• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ephemeris

Andrex said:
Like I said in the Hero thread, it'll probably be an AT&T or Sprint phone. We know that T-Mobile has two further Android handsets lined up for the rest of this year, and I'd heavily bet that they are the Bigfoot and Morrison.

Since AT&T's Android plans already leaked (HTC Lancaster and Motorola Heron, although we don't know if that's all of them), I'd peg this as a Sprint release.

Yeah you're probably right. I thought since T-Mobile UK was getting the Hero (As the G1 Touch) possibly we would be too.

Chojin

zesty said:
Can someone please explain this to me? I was just looking at T-Mobile's 3G coverage here in Indy, and apparently this isn't any. How much of a negative impact will this have on the capabilities of the myTouch or any other future Android phones? When lacking 3G access, does the phone get data from the EDGE? Sorry, I'm not really sure how all this stuff works.

23w15yb.jpg

We're working on it. There's going to be a lot more 3G from T-mo this year. Just... well you'll have to wait.

So areas (like where I am :(((( ) we have to use Edge until 3G is available. A lot of it has to do with cities that have military bases nearby cause its the same frequency the military was using. So a lot of us that aren't called Sprint and don't have 100 years of tenure or deep pockets of money have to request the bandwidth the normal way :p

Andrex said:
Like I said in the Hero thread, it'll probably be an AT&T or Sprint phone. We know that T-Mobile has two further Android handsets lined up for the rest of this year, and I'd heavily bet that they are the Bigfoot and Morrison.

Since AT&T's Android plans already leaked (HTC Lancaster and Motorola Heron, although we don't know if that's all of them), I'd peg this as a Sprint release.

It won't be sprint (look at it's frequency specs.)

snacknuts

we all knew her
Chojin said:
We're working on it. There's going to be a lot more 3G from T-mo this year. Just... well you'll have to wait.

So areas (like where I am :(((( ) we have to use Edge until 3G is available. A lot of it has to do with cities that have military bases nearby cause its the same frequency the military was using. So a lot of us that aren't called Sprint and don't have 100 years of tenure or deep pockets of money have to request the bandwidth the normal way :p

Thanks for the insider information. I'm under contract with Verizon until April-ish, so I don't mind waiting a little longer to see how the coverage shakes out.

PSGames

For a g1 owner are there any benefits to upgrading to the MyTouch? I love the physical keyboard but just wondering if there are other benefits to the MyTouch that might supercede this?

Krelian

PSGames said:
For a g1 owner are there any benefits to upgrading to the MyTouch? I love the physical keyboard but just wondering if there are other benefits to the MyTouch that might supercede this?
There's not much that warrants an upgrade if you're already an owner of a G1. Unless you can't stand the look of it anymore or absolutely need more RAM and space for apps you should just stick with the G1.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
"Perfected SPL"? What does that mean? It has new security hardware or software in it?

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Andrex said:
"Perfected SPL"? What does that mean? It has new security hardware or software in it?
The SPL is essentially the recovery bootloader (the three skating androids) and it also governs some of the phones security features for flashing "sketchy" code. Engineering SPLs allow for flashing of whatever, but shipped SPLs usually have some security checking.

kaskade

if I'm not mistaken the magic is rootable isn't it? I guess they fixed that, there's always a way though, look at the iPhone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
@TMobile_myTouch said:
Hi All! I hope you had a great 4th! This week should be very exciting. Details on: Pricing, Tech Specs, and the PreSale due out Wed.

Source.

We already know the tech specs (disappoint-ton on the camera :/), but I'm interested in the 1-year contract price. Will probably be like $350 or something. :/

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Andrex said:
Source.

We already know the tech specs (disappoint-ton on the camera :/), but I'm interested in the 1-year contract price. Will probably be like $350 or something. :/
That's nothing compared to Canada's Rogers and their less-than-3-years-prices :lol Fuck Rogers...

Facism

anyone know of any good monthly tariffs in the UK for the Magic? I need a new phone. I can only find the cheapest offer at £23.37 a month for 100 mins/500 texts + 500mb internet allowance.

Ephemeris

Drat. On the pre-order site, I only see the 2-year or no-contract ($500) options >___<.

Dammit. I just want my 1 year!

SFA_AOK

Facism said:
anyone know of any good monthly tariffs in the UK for the Magic? I need a new phone. I can only find the cheapest offer at £23.37 a month for 100 mins/500 texts + 500mb internet allowance.

Where'd you see that deal? Or is that the £25 p/m deal - VAT on a 24 month contract?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Some of the MyTouch accessories are great. :lol They applied the "sleek chin" look to the battery extender, wall charger, dock, and others.

mytouch-docking.jpg

mytouch-batteryextender.jpg

Hrm, I wonder how much life the battery extender adds...

I'm getting really excited for the actual retail launch (not a T-Mobile customer T_T), can't wait to get my own Android phone. ^^

tokkun

Andrex said:

I'm getting really excited for the actual retail launch (not a T-Mobile customer T_T), can't wait to get my own Android phone. ^^

Engadget said 50%. Their impressions of the Magic seemed kind of negative though. At least they seemed pretty unexcited compared to the Hero.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Andrex said:
Some of the MyTouch accessories are great. :lol They applied the "sleek chin" look to the battery extender, wall charger, dock, and others.

mytouch-docking.jpg

mytouch-batteryextender.jpg

How come Rogers' HTC Magic doesn't have such a cool accessory ? :( I want that docking station !

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
tokkun said:
Engadget said 50%.

At 50%, it may be worth the huge appendage (if you're running low.) Wonder what they'll price it at, I'm probably going to go spend-crazy with all these accessories. I'm such a sucker for "customization", I bought a first gen Zune mostly because I could customize the background. :lol

tokkun said:
Their impressions of the Magic seemed kind of negative though. At least they seemed pretty unexcited compared to the Hero.

I don't get the tech blogging world. The Magic comes out and is a legitimate upgrade over the G1 (in terms of form factor, RAM, ROM, and battery life), and they collectively "meh" at it. Some were even worse and bashed it outright because it was erroneously deemed "just a G1 without the keyboard". Then the Hero comes out, which specs-wise is exactly like the Magic but in an uglier, bulkier chassis, with only some repainted UI and "OMFG Pre killer!!!11"

Sense UI is slick and all, but it's getting so many "oohs" and "ahhs" from the social networking widgets, which quite frankly are mostly already available for the G1 and Magic already, and if not will definitely be ported or copied shortly after launch. I get wanting to have eye candy, I do, but I've been looking forward to the Magic since it was first revealed, and the difference in blogger hype is just amazing to me.

NetMapel said:
How come Rogers' HTC Magic doesn't have such a cool accessory ? :( I want that docking station !

It's all USB+ExtUSB so it would presumably work with your Magic, only thing is it'd have the "My" branding...

gkryhewy

Sigh. I was all set to preorder the MyTouch since I'd been holding out for whatever Tmobile's second gen Android phone was, but now I'm thinking I should just wait for the Samsung Galaxy. Looks to have a better form factor, OLED screen, better camera, standard headphone jack... only downside is that it doesn't have a release date, and I was hoping to have a phone this summer.

Any thoughts?

SFA_AOK

The Galaxy is supposedly coming out in the UK in August on O2, so the phone must be nearly ready by now. No idea about releases in other countries though.

gkryhewy

SFA_AOK said:
The Galaxy is supposedly coming out in the UK in August on O2, so the phone must be nearly ready by now. No idea about releases in other countries though.

Yeah, I'm guessing October or so for the US. The question is though... is that phone not going to be superior in every way, and probably at the same price? Am I missing something?

tokkun

gkrykewy said:
Sigh. I was all set to preorder the MyTouch since I'd been holding out for whatever Tmobile's second gen Android phone was, but now I'm thinking I should just wait for the Samsung Galaxy. Looks to have a better form factor, OLED screen, better camera, standard headphone jack... only downside is that it doesn't have a release date, and I was hoping to have a phone this summer.

Any thoughts?

Well, there is a decent chance that you will eventually be able to flash the MyTouch with the Hero (and beyond) Android ROMs and have them run at a reasonable speed. The Sense UI looks like a big improvement over current Android, and you may be able to keep upgrading to newer ROMs in the future, meaning that you have the opportunity for more UI improvements and variety. Some sites have mentioned that HTC's on-screen keyboard is significantly better than the stock Android version as well. You can still get updates to the Android trunk on the Galaxy, but probably not the HTC stuff. There is also the big advantage that you can get the MyTouch now, whereas it could be months before the Galaxy comes out in the US.

In terms of the Galaxy's advantages, I wouldn't focus too much on the AMOLED screen. They look good in low-light, but OLED tends to be harder to read in direct sunlight so they are not great if you use your phone outdoors a lot. Probably the biggest thing for me is that the Galaxy is about 15% thinner than the MyTouch, which may not seem like much, but can be really noticeable. It also has a 3.5" jack; that could be a big deal if you plan to use the phone as a music player regularly.

Lastly, the Galaxy has a D-pad rather than a trackball. I guess that is up to a matter of taste.

gkrykewy said:
Yeah, I'm guessing October or so for the US. The question is though... is that phone not going to be superior in every way, and probably at the same price? Am I missing something?

If you live in the US, there will always be some superior phone that is announced but not yet available or a few months - that's just the nature of the game. By the time the Galaxy is available here, there will be Tegra and Snapdragon phones coming out in Europe. If you're always chasing the phone with best specs, you will never end up buying anything. You just need to judge how urgently you need a new phone and whether or not the phones that are actually available to you meet your needs.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
If you think you're undecided now just wait until I finish the Android Hardware Thread later today. ;)

I've been pretty much forced to get the MyTouch since A) I'm in the US, and B) I don't yet have an Android phone, but need one if I want a reasonable shot in the ADC2. I don't mind though, the Magic has proven itself to be a terrific phone. ^^

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
OK, so I finished the hardware thread, but now I'm wondering if I should post it... >.> There's an awful lot of rumored sets on the list...

santouras

post it

also the xperia rachael looks dead set sexy. I'll still be getting the galaxy when it hits AU in apparently september

Chojin

Okay, so we had our employee preorder for the myTouch on the 8th. I actually ordered a G1 on the 2nd though and received it on the 7th.

I did this for a couple reasons. When final specs were released, I saw that its pretty much a G1 with no keyboard and more storage space. Oh and a spiffy carrying case and screen protector and 2 year warranty (if anything THATS whats worth it) oh and burgundy/merlot if you like that color. There was rumors that there would be more onboard ram for better surfing and multitasking, but the final specs for the US was the same as the Vodafone Magic. I think the Chinese Magic has extra ram but thats for all that Kanji.

Using the G1 for a couple days now and I'm so in love with it. Testing the virtual keyboard after I manually installed the cupcake update shown it wasn't too bad. So, if you guys are worried about no physical keyboard on there I can safely say its pretty good. However, I myself NEED a physical keyboard (my last mobile phone was a Nokia 3300 when I workd for ATnT, so guess how long ago that was, this was ATnT pre-cingular buyout ;D) so I got the G1.

Also, even though we could pre-order the myTouch yesterday they won't ship till like two weeks from now. I needed a phone NOW since I got here. Also I can't go into the price too much but there was a HUGE rumor that because Tmo is pushing the myTouch as their flagship phone that we'd get a discount on top of our discount. I'm talking a really really affordable low price. But the way it worked out, I was able to buy a g1 for about 40 bucks less. Also I'm just not an early adopter when it comes with hardware. There's always a need for a firmware update for things, and I'd rather sit back and wait till the dust settles for things. But again, specwise, the mytouch is honestly really just a G1 without a keyboard and more storage ram. So... yeah. I mean thats great for other people, cause its half the thickness as the G1. Oh and the trackball on the myTouch blinks when someone is calling you :p

Anyway, you guys have any questions about the Magic/Mytouch, lemme know, since we released the data I'm not under NDA, unlike a pretty slick thing you guys should be hearing about in the next few weeks :D

Edit: Oh one thing, I'm still not sure about Sherpa being exclusive to the myTouch, it really seems like an app or possibly a firmware update and Android is Android, so regardless what they're saying, I'm sure we'll get sherpa on the g1. Oh and just to clear this up cause its been said before and its not a secret. myTouch is NOT the "G2" What I can say is that we're going to be seeing other "G" series later this year. So I'll most likely save my employee upgrade for around the holidays ;)

Well, there is a decent chance that you will eventually be able to flash the MyTouch with the Hero (and beyond) Android ROMs and have them run at a reasonable speed.

Well if you go to the support forums on T-Mo's website. There's a few posts about people doing just that. But eventually have it run at a decent speed? You can't upgrade the hardware =\ So it is what it is.

Anyway I'm totally sold on Android. I think from now on I'll only get phones that use it. Its pretty damn awesome. And iPhone is huge right now, but after thinking about it I think Cingular/Att getting exclusivity for the amount of time they have with the iPhone was a blessing and a curse. See with the other carriers eventually adopting Android by the time the exclusivity deal is up everyone else will have googlephones. That would put iPhone in a really bad position. But then again.... Apple lovers ;p I could easily be proven wrong.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
Anyway, you guys have any questions about the Magic/Mytouch, lemme know, since we released the data I'm not under NDA, unlike a pretty slick thing you guys should be hearing about in the next few weeks :D

...myTouch is NOT the "G2" What I can say is that we're going to be seeing other "G" series later this year. So I'll most likely save my employee upgrade for around the holidays ;)

Bigfoot really gonna be that great, huh? If the specs aren't solid I'll be hunting for your head. ;)

"Next few weeks", huh? Before or after the MyTouch launches?

Chojin

Andrex said:
Bigfoot really gonna be that great, huh? If the specs aren't solid I'll be hunting for your head. ;)

"Next few weeks", huh? Before or after the MyTouch launches?

Well, there's gonna be something new for the android world real soon. You probably know what I'm talking about under another name. Just T-Mo finally got the branding done but I can't talk about it.

Hey, cell phones are like any other technology, you always go forward, RITE? RIIIITE? (looks at the myTouch <_<)

Not Tmo related, but HTC has promised to actually put 3.5 stereo jacks in future HTC products. ABOUT TIME :p

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
Well, there's gonna be something new for the android world real soon.

By new I assume you mean, unlike the MyTouch which has been on the market in other territories for months and with better specs. This is a device that will launch in the US first, then.

Chojin said:
You probably know what I'm talking about under another name. Just T-Mo finally got the branding done but I can't talk about it.

So they ditched that ridiculous "G1v2" nonsense, then? Good to hear.

How high up on the T-Mo ladder are you? :) Do you make these decisions, about branding and such?

Chojin said:
Hey, cell phones are like any other technology, you always go forward, RITE? RIIIITE? (looks at the myTouch <_<)

To be honest I'm looking at a ADP or G1 now that you told me the RAM is the same. I rested easy knowing at some point in the future I could port Sense to it, even if I never actually did it. But with that gone, I dunno.

Doesn't help the G1 is a full $100 less (half the price for the same specs!) with the same contract.

Chojin said:
Not Tmo related, but HTC has promised to actually put 3.5 stereo jacks in future HTC products. ABOUT TIME :p

Indeed. People may bitch about FM Radio but those headset jacks are what's truly been missing from HTC's line when compared to other vendors. ;)

Chojin

Andrex said:
By new I assume you mean, unlike the MyTouch which has been on the market in other territories for months and with better specs. This is a device that will launch in the US first, then.

So they ditched that ridiculous "G1v2" nonsense, then? Good to hear.

Sorta kinda sorta. Thats the best I can do to comment on rumors and speculations /microsoft PR

Andrex said:
How high up on the T-Mo ladder are you? :) Do you make these decisions, about branding and such?

Nothing high like that. But we get access to upcoming things cause its part of my job to know. All I can say is I'm not some doof at a kiosk at the mall ;) (please note I do appreciate our retail workers and when I say doof I mean love)

And as dorky as it sounds, we DO take customer feedback seriously. You may not feel it or see it as much. But we see it. Hopefully the more feedback we get the better we can roll stuff out that people want.

As an example, on the forums at Tmo there was a poster that was worried about people posting how to and discussions on rooting the G1, since Tmo doesn't support rooting he figured that the website should delete and ban all posts and posters on the subject. But one of our mods quickly answered that we don't for two reasons 1) it allows us to data mine what our users are doing and in effect we can roll out some features that customers really want that badly and 2) even if you root or brick the phone, our tech support is going to do its best to get that phone running again. Its not a matter of so sorry, buy a new phone.

Remember, we get monies on service, not selling the phones.

To be honest I'm looking at a ADP or G1 now that you told me the RAM is the same. I rested easy knowing at some point in the future I could port Sense to it, even if I never actually did it. But with that gone, I dunno.

Doesn't help the G1 is a full $100 less (half the price for the same specs!) with the same contract.

Thats my gripe with the Magic/Mytouch. But what I can say if you're looking for something with win, just be patient for a few more weeks for an announcement.

But with that said, I REALLY REALLY REALLY love my G1. Granted I haven't owned a phone in a while, so I'm all wide eyed at what phones have been able to do in the past 5 years since i've had one. But its pretty snazzy, it's replaced my DS as my portable device to do stuff while on the toilet or in the car (no I don't play ds in the car, it was my car's sound system ;p) or waiting in line at the dmv or just wowing my friends with goofy emulators, there's a free Commodre 64 emulator on the marketplace as well as ScummVM. I also got the nes, snes and genesis ones but the emulators for those on the DS are still much better at the time being.

Andrex said:
Indeed. People may bitch about FM Radio but those headset jacks are what's truly been missing from HTC's line when compared to other vendors. ;)

[/quote]

Werd, its really a huge hassle now since Cupcake disabled the 3-in-one sub hub that let you charge and talk on a handsfree or listen to your music plugged into your line in on your car while you charged. This even goes for the HTC branded 3 in one. Hopefully "donut" or whatever update that comes out next will address this. I was really hoping to fully replace my DS (I don't even have a cd player in my car, just radio :p so I use an RF modulator that plays music over my car's radio) for music but the battery gets drained REALLY quickly on the G1.

As for an FM tuner itself:

I know. I know. But flash 10 will fix a lot with being able to stream radio. Only problem is you can't wifi and be on a call at the same time. Edit: well techically you CAN if you're using UMA. But thats for calling on the phone itself.

I'm suprised there aren't like 3rd party usb addons or something to that effect. You know like the Wii Motion Plus dongle, you could probably create a usb radio addon that sticks out like the that.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
Nothing high like that. But we get access to upcoming things cause its part of my job to know. All I can say is I'm not some doof at a kiosk at the mall ;) (please note I do appreciate our retail workers and when I say doof I mean love)

And as dorky as it sounds, we DO take customer feedback seriously. You may not feel it or see it as much. But we see it. Hopefully the more feedback we get the better we can roll stuff out that people want.

As an example, on the forums at Tmo there was a poster that was worried about people posting how to and discussions on rooting the G1, since Tmo doesn't support rooting he figured that the website should delete and ban all posts and posters on the subject. But one of our mods quickly answered that we don't for two reasons 1) it allows us to data mine what our users are doing and in effect we can roll out some features that customers really want that badly and 2) even if you root or brick the phone, our tech support is going to do its best to get that phone running again. Its not a matter of so sorry, buy a new phone.

Remember, we get monies on service, not selling the phones.

Yeah, I saw that. My impression of T-Mobile is that while it's the smallest of the big four US providers, it has the best customer response.

Also I, like you, haven't had a phone in a while (going on three years now), and the only two phones I've ever owned were of the cheap, call/text-only kind. Maybe that's where most of my excitement for Android comes from.

Chojin said:
Thats my gripe with the Magic/Mytouch. But what I can say if you're looking for something with win, just be patient for a few more weeks for an announcement.

I really, really wish I could. But I need a device for the ADC2.

I've been following Android from when the first SDK came out (November 2007) and have been subscribed to multiple Android blogs for all the latest news (see: OP for the hardware thread.) I've been, what I would call at least, incredibly patient; despite my burning desire for this platform, I've held off.

But I simply can't wait anymore, and it's not really my choice. It's the choice of all the US operators who are taking their slow-ass time with Android (and yes, this includes T-Mobile, the MyTouch could and should have been out in April or May.) So whether I like it or not, I only have two options at the moment for Android devices (actually, one until August 5th), and it's actually somewhat depressing seeing all the leaked phones.

If you have any sort of pull with T-Mobile, then by all means pass on my sentiments. But because of the competition having no Android phones, they'll be getting my business whether I like it or not. :/

/rant

Chojin said:
I'm suprised there aren't like 3rd party usb addons or something to that effect. You know like the Wii Motion Plus dongle, you could probably create a usb radio addon that sticks out like the that.

Probably will be eventually, not really that hard to do (theoretically.)

Chojin

Andrex said:
I really, really wish I could. But I need a device for the ADC2.

Yeah I saw that as an issue. Its great to have a competition and all, but as we all know Android is a PLATFORM and not just one device like the iPhone.

But with that said, then I would highly suggest the G1. There's a bunch of reasons for this but I would think the biggest is that the myTouch WILL be adopted fairly quickly. I have high hopes for its success. Since the G1 is virtually the same in all aspects hardwarewise, anything you make for the G1 should be well compatible with it and optimized for the myTouch. Of course make sure any app you make doesn't require a keyboard, or the poor mytouch users will be SOL.

If you hold and wait out for a phone with better specs, yeah you'll miss out on the boat for the first phase of the ADC2 in august. Too bad we're not related, I could put you on my employee program ;P and get you a phone (no thats not an invite sorry ^^;;;) and no, there's a strictly huge NONO on selling any phone we purchase via our discount. I was told when the G1 was released early for employees there was only 5000 available, and when the order came online at midnight, they all sold out within 3 minutes. The next couple days, a TON of G1's were being sold on Ebay. Tmo put the quash on that quickly.

I really really wish I could talk about more, but there has already been employees canned very quickly, one story I was told some dude took a few pics of the G1 and uploaded them to engadget, at his DESK at work of all places @.@

They take that seriously. Especially ever since the myFaves thing, some employee leaked info on what myFaves was about and all of a sudden Alltel had that "My Circle" thing. Which thankfully they didn't have all the info and we spanked them not only from a billing perspective (each PHONE on an account gets 5 individual faves unlike Altel that you get 10 but have to share them all on an account) but they didn't know about the myFaves app, which people really seem to like.

Edit: oh and if I can do a little whoring, if you do decide to get T-Mobile service, I really highly adamantly suggest getting the @home service. Basically you ditch your old router and buy a nice linksys wireless one from us for 10 bucks, and then for 10 bucks a month you get unlimited long distance via voip (the router has an RJ-11 built right into it and you get a SIM card for the router too!) though sadly you can't use it as a UMA hotspot for the G1 cause G1 has no UMA =\ Granted, who uses Landlines these days, but still :p I'm just old fashioned like that. Lets me use my mobile for FUN stuff than merely calling haha.

Seriously, when I bought the router (I get the voip for free though :eek: ) it was the best thing ever, same model at a retail level is a couple hundred bucks, and I was leasing my router from my ISP for like 3 bucks a month.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Chojin said:
Yeah I saw that as an issue. Its great to have a competition and all, but as we all know Android is a PLATFORM and not just one device like the iPhone.

But with that said, then I would highly suggest the G1.

Been hyped for the Magic since February though (see: this thread.)

So many factors to consider...

Chojin said:
There's a bunch of reasons for this but I would think the biggest is that the myTouch WILL be adopted fairly quickly. I have high hopes for its success. Since the G1 is virtually the same in all aspects hardwarewise, anything you make for the G1 should be well compatible with it and optimized for the myTouch. Of course make sure any app you make doesn't require a keyboard, or the poor mytouch users will be SOL.

If I wanted to be mean I could do that, and the MyTouch users would have to long press menu a bunch. >:)

Chojin said:
If you hold and wait out for a phone with better specs, yeah you'll miss out on the boat for the first phase of the ADC2 in august.

If your "win" phone is announced before the MyTouch launches I may be able to scrape by on the emulator and random dudes on the internet trying it out. That leaves you with about three weeks.

Chojin said:
I really really wish I could talk about more, but there has already been employees canned very quickly, one story I was told some dude took a few pics of the G1 and uploaded them to engadget, at his DESK at work of all places @.@

That's cause he was a moron. Not like you. You're smart. You'd only divulge info like that in a private PM to me. ^^

Chojin said:
Edit: oh and if I can do a little whoring, if you do decide to get T-Mobile service, I really highly adamantly suggest getting the @home service. Basically you ditch your old router and buy a nice linksys wireless one from us for 10 bucks, and then for 10 bucks a month you get unlimited long distance via voip (the router has an RJ-11 built right into it and you get a SIM card for the router too!) though sadly you can't use it as a UMA hotspot for the G1 cause G1 has no UMA =\ Granted, who uses Landlines these days, but still :p I'm just old fashioned like that. Lets me use my mobile for FUN stuff than merely calling haha.

Seriously, when I bought the router (I get the voip for free though :eek: ) it was the best thing ever, same model at a retail level is a couple hundred bucks, and I was leasing my router from my ISP for like 3 bucks a month.

Already have a fairly new Linksys router, and isn't there a VOIP app floating around out there already?

In any case I will not be making very many calls with this device. In fact, if there were a non-phone Android device coming out, I would almost definitely get that. 3G is nice but for me it's hard justifying $25 extra a month, but even harder is the two-year voice plan. It's been so long since I've had a phone, I don't know who I'd be talking to. I really wish FlexPay or some kind of pay-as-you-go equivalent was available for these. Mostly, I will be using Wi-Fi to browse the web at home, or 3G sometimes when I'm away.

I wish Archos would have launched their tablet already, an Archos 5 with Android would have been instantly mine. But I have to settle for a phone.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SFA_AOK said:
Chojin, I'm in the UK, any idea if the win phone will affect T-Mobile's offerings over here?

...you're getting the Hero this month. Count your damn blessings.
face-icon-small-frown.gif

...:p

SFA_AOK

Haha, sorry, sorry! :)

Latest tweetings from T-Mobile UK is that the Hero is going to be free on a £40 a month contract (no word on other contract rates). Bit pricey for my liking, especially if I can get the Magic for £30 a month and flash with a Hero ROM.

I really need to calm down, I should wait at least a month before taking the plunge but I want a new phone now! :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom