• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sikkinixx

I wonder how much it will be no contract? Rogers wants $600 cdn for the Magic branded ones :(

edit: Some googling reveals a lot of people talking about $300 no contract. Seems a bit low no? Only $100 discount for signing a 2 year deal?

Ephemeris

sikkinixx said:
I wonder how much it will be no contract? Rogers wants $600 cdn for the Magic branded ones :(

edit: Some googling reveals a lot of people talking about $300 no contract. Seems a bit low no? Only $100 discount for signing a 2 year deal?

The G1 was (is?) $400 out of contract, so I wouldn't be surprised if it falls around there. If I don't get a G1 within the next two weeks I'd prolly get the Magic with a 1 year Contract.

Ephemeris

sikkinixx said:
Shit if it's $400 or less and it can be unlocked... I might have to make a drive to the US of A
A friend of mine who lurks in this thread will also be doing this lol.

Oh.

Adobe’s CEO, Shantanu Narayen, announced in the Q2 audio press release that a version of Flash Player 10 beta will be available for Smartphone’s browsers starting this October (during Adobe MAX). The FP10 will be available on Google Android.

sikkinixx

Ephemeris said:
A friend of mine who lurks in this thread will also be doing this lol.

Oh.

Well a 3 year contract is a joke, especially with Rogers and $600 is a lot of coin to shell out (well so is $400 but not AS bad)

Ephemeris

sikkinixx said:
Well a 3 year contract is a joke, especially with Rogers and $600 is a lot of coin to shell out (well so is $400 but not AS bad)

3 year contract FTL.

And i'm still bitter over the 45 day wait for the Magic. Been seeing alot of sub-$250 G1's on craigslist, I'm definitely considering going that route.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SFA_AOK said:
Could you expand on this? I'm in the UK and was considering getting the Magic on Vodafone.

The smart dialer app in this video, and integrated Exchange support are the two that immediately come to mind. Although, I think the straight up HTC version lacks some Google applications.

SFA_AOK said:
Also, someone alluded to another thread, possibly about Android development? Does anyone have the link to hand?

Here you go.

Adobe’s CEO, Shantanu Narayen, announced in the Q2 audio press release that a version of Flash Player 10 beta will be available for Smartphone’s browsers starting this October (during Adobe MAX). The FP10 will be available on Google Android.

Well we know the HTC Hero definitely has it, so I'm pegging that device for Q4 Euro release. Hopefully it'll be included in Donut, too.

sikkinixx

Ephemeris said:
3 year contract FTL.

And i'm still bitter over the 45 day wait for the Magic. Been seeing alot of sub-$250 G1's on craigslist, I'm definitely considering going that route.

I looked on the Seattle CL... holy crap, TONS of G1's... all for cheap. A few hours drive is worth the money.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR TEMPTING THINKING!

Ephemeris

sikkinixx said:
I looked on the Seattle CL... holy crap, TONS of G1's... all for cheap. A few hours drive is worth the money.

DAMN YOU AND YOUR TEMPTING THINKING!

MISERY LOVES COMPANY. :lol

But seriously. Hmm. It's like 2 weeks to the presale, then what, two weeks to get it?

Part of me is like "You've waited this long." but I dunno. They're advantages in my case to getting a G1. Staying out of contract is a big plus.

Ephemeris

Ugh! The pics make me wanna wait.

IMG00165-20090622-1335.jpg

IMG00167-20090622-1343.jpg

Unnamed.jpg

It comes with an extra screen protector, charger, usb cable (needed to charge the phone, similar to ipod/iphone), battery, headset + adapter, suede pouch, and a 4gb micro-sd.

sikkinixx

Ephemeris said:
MISERY LOVES COMPANY. :lol

But seriously. Hmm. It's like 2 weeks to the presale, then what, two weeks to get it?

Part of me is like "You've waited this long." but I dunno. They're advantages in my case to getting a G1. Staying out of contract is a big plus.

My big two reservations about getting a G1 are the size (it's a lot beefier than the Magic) and the speed of it. All the reviews say the Magic is snappier than the G1... but a physical keyboard is nice... and almost half the price is nice....

Ephemeris

sikkinixx said:
My big two reservations about getting a G1 are the size (it's a lot beefier than the Magic) and the speed of it. All the reviews say the Magic is snappier than the G1... but a physical keyboard is nice... and almost half the price is nice....
I know how you feel. Looking at the pics don't make it any easier either...

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Ephemeris said:
I know how you feel. Looking at the pics don't make it any easier either...

HAWT!!!

Dang, I'm also excited about the 40 accessories. With all this "customization" talk, I hope they have custom backplates too.

Chojin

As a new T-Mobile Employee I'm supposed to tow the company line and ra ra ra for it. But the only thing holding me back is the lack of a physical keyboard. The price is nice though, you can't beat 200 bucks retail considering that the G1 still goes for 400 bucks (gotta love the employee discount though!)

If the myTouch/Magic had a keyboard I'd be all up in it. Sherpa (though I guess its with Cupcake so...) is a pretty cool thing and this thing screams yay.

Non-NDA breaking boast: They're finally letting employees get it instead of waiting a few weeks/months with a new release. So we're going to be able to get our hands on them for our own at or just before release. My supe said we'll get to play with them tommorow though as we'll have a few come in to test out. I'll set my judgement then. But I'm still leaning towards the G1.

El Papa

Chojin said:
The price is nice though, you can't beat 200 bucks retail considering that the G1 still goes for 400 bucks (gotta love the employee discount though!).
Wait, $200 out of contract???

2nd PHONE SO MINE!
When I get the extra caYsh

Ephemeris

Chojin said:
As a new T-Mobile Employee I'm supposed to tow the company line and ra ra ra for it. But the only thing holding me back is the lack of a physical keyboard. The price is nice though, you can't beat 200 bucks retail considering that the G1 still goes for 400 bucks (gotta love the employee discount though!)

Wait wait wait. You sure you got that one right?

Chojin

Ephemeris said:
Wait wait wait. You sure you got that one right?

I'm sure. It's still 399.99 without a contract.

El Papa said:
Wait, $200 out of contract???

2nd PHONE SO MINE! When I get the extra caYsh

Yeah not bad for all the goodies it comes with eh?

Edit: Wait... my bad I think that's with contract. I'll find out tommorow. MSRP should already be out.

Ephemeris

Chojin said:
I'm sure. It's still 399.99 without a contract.

I know the G1's $400, I meant that the Mytou Magic.

Cause then, what would be the point of the 2 year contract :lol

Some people say $500, but I think it may fall in line with the G1's pricing ($400).

Granted, I thought they'd debut it at $180 instead of $200....

Chojin

Yeah I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you poop your pants

199.99 with 2 year contract

Its linked off T-mo's website from an official press release.

I should check to see how much retail will be though.

Ephemeris said:
I know the G1's $400, I meant that the Mytou Magic.

Cause then, what would be the point of the 2 year contract :lol

Some people say $500, but I think it may fall in line with the G1's pricing ($400).

Granted, I thought they'd debut it at $180 instead of $200....

I'll check. But then again I don't see non-contract price on the website, you'll know in 15 days when we take pre-orders.

And yeah, I got yelled at work (not seriously) when I called it the magic. I hate calling it the myTouch. 1) Cross branding confusion with the iTouch (just wait till I get calls on how come they can't put iPhone apps on the damn thing) and 2) it just sounds dirty.

Oh and I can't say anything them, but look forward to the next few weeks for some neato gadgets coming out. We're going to be kicking a lot of butt in the yay department.

Ephemeris

Chojin said:
Yeah I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you poop your pants

299.99 with 2 year contract

Its linked off T-mo's website from an official press release.

I should check to see how much retail will be though.

I think you made a typo there.

I think I can speak for everyone when I say we'd definitely appreciate whatever info you can get. I'm interested in the 1 year and out of contract prices myself.

And a peek at what is (used to be?) the Magic rival:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xfuHFn4yvKc

Edit: Back on the Magic--> Seems like they're doing another NYC event; like the one they did for the G1.

Question about the lack of physical keyboard: Is it possible to filter lists? For example, on the G1 I can start typing in my contacts or on my Apps Menu to filter the items. Is there a way to trigger the virtual keyboard in such instances?

kaskade

Ephemeris said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NieaFEchNuQ

Unboxing video. (Where's the merlot love, interwebs??)
Very nice, I really like how they packaged it. I hope they give the store them early so people can try it out. I think that would be the most beneficial for them. People need to play with stuff before they buy it, That is one of Apple's greatest successes in the retail business I would say.

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
Battersea Power Station said:
Question about the lack of physical keyboard: Is it possible to filter lists? For example, on the G1 I can start typing in my contacts or on my Apps Menu to filter the items. Is there a way to trigger the virtual keyboard in such instances?

In Contacts you can hit the search button to filter entries. In the apps menu, I can't immediately see a way of doing it.

Ephemeris

ThePeacemaker02 said:
Very nice, I really like how they packaged it. I hope they give the store them early so people can try it out. I think that would be the most beneficial for them. People need to play with stuff before they buy it, That is one of Apple's greatest successes in the retail business I would say.

I agree. Would love to see the Merlot in person or else I'm going black.

In less than two hours HTC will be announcing their new Android phone in London. This is not going to be a modified HTC Magic (Vodafone).

The new handset is rumoured to be either the HTC Hero or the G1 Touch using the HTC Rosie UI.

"Really looking forward to HTC's new Android smartphone tomorrow; colleague who has played with it gives rave review..."

More details:

http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/news.phtml/25019/htc-android-phone-wednesday-launch.phtml

http://www.engadgetmobile.com/2009/06/02/htc-showing-some-new-stuff-in-london-on-june-24/

htc-come-see.jpg

Early leaks from the HTC website:

htc-hero-leak.png

Qualcomm's MSM7200A proc running Android at 528MHz, 512MB/288MB ROM/RAM, 3.2-inch TFT-LCD with 320 x 480 pixel rez, 900/2100MHz HSPA and Quad-band GSM, trackball, GPS, 802.11b/g WiFi, 3.5mm audio jack, G-sensor, compass, and 5 megapixel auto-focus cam with microSD expansion.

Want

snacknuts

we all knew her
Can someone please explain this to me? I was just looking at T-Mobile's 3G coverage here in Indy, and apparently this isn't any. How much of a negative impact will this have on the capabilities of the myTouch or any other future Android phones? When lacking 3G access, does the phone get data from the EDGE? Sorry, I'm not really sure how all this stuff works.

23w15yb.jpg

Lhadatt

zesty said:
Can someone please explain this to me? I was just looking at T-Mobile's 3G coverage here in Indy, and apparently this isn't any. How much of a negative impact will this have on the capabilities of the myTouch or any other future Android phones? When lacking 3G access, does the phone get data from the EDGE? Sorry, I'm not really sure how all this stuff works.
EDGE should work just fine, albiet slower. My Dash is EDGE-only, and I don't have a problem accessing websites, Google Maps, etc.

kaskade

I haven't really been researching rooting the android phones but apparently you can root the mytouch, and download the Hero rom already. Will I now have basically the same features as the Hero when it comes out?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
ThePeacemaker02 said:
I haven't really been researching rooting the android phones but apparently you can root the mytouch, and download the Hero rom already. Will I now have basically the same features as the Hero when it comes out?

Yeah, but you probably will have to reinstall all your apps.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
The Magic continues to astound me with how small it is:

htc_hero_slashgear_2_sg.jpg

htc_hero_slashgear_4_sg.jpg

htc_hero_slashgear_6_sg.jpg

htc_hero_slashgear_7_sg.jpg

From SlashGear.

Can't wait to hold one in my hands. Even if the Hero "feels" slimmer (per impressions), the Magic is actually smaller in all aspects.

3.5mm jack and the 5.0mp camera hurt, of course, but for me they're not dealbreakers. And if I need Sense, I could just install the ROM (Hero and Magic's specs are the same).

Ephemeris

Andrex said:
The Magic continues to astound me with how small it is:
<NSFW Pictures of android sexiness>

3.5mm jack and the 5.0mp camera hurt, of course, but for me they're not dealbreakers. And if I need Sense, I could just install the ROM (Hero and Magic's specs are the same).

True indeed. But I'm wondering, if it's coming out this year, what place does the Hero have in T-Mo's lineup?

Going by this picture:

Android.jpg

Is there room? : /

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Like I said in the Hero thread, it'll probably be an AT&T or Sprint phone. We know that T-Mobile has two further Android handsets lined up for the rest of this year, and I'd heavily bet that they are the Bigfoot and Morrison.

Since AT&T's Android plans already leaked (HTC Lancaster and Motorola Heron, although we don't know if that's all of them), I'd peg this as a Sprint release.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Question: is there any reason that I couldn't just buy this phone for full price from T-Mobile and sign up for service with it at AT&T?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
zesty said:
Question: is there any reason that I couldn't just buy this phone for full price from T-Mobile and sign up for service with it at AT&T?

I don't think the 3G bands would be compatible. T-Mobile uses 1700mHz if I recall. I think AT&T uses 850?

If you're fine with EDGE, I believe that would work.

snacknuts

we all knew her
Well, the reason I was asking is because T-Mobile has absolutely NO 3G coverage around here, so I figured I could use AT&T's. I didn't realize they operated on different frequencies. So much for that idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom