• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation: The Official Magazine ~ January 2008 Issue (Want MGS4?)

shidoshi said:
So then, we can use a 1-10 scale, and everything can be a 7 or 8.

Bad, Poor, Average, Good, Great. That's all you need. So what if a lot of games either fall into good or great? Does that really tell you less than trying to decipher what the difference between a 6 and a 7, or a 7 and an 8 is?
You mean like Play's number system? But then again, it doesn't much matter since the only difference you have to decipher is between a 9 and a 10 (I keed, I keed).

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
WasabiKing said:
No, YOU

BTW, don't pull the misleading title thing, cause you will lose new post privys. Put up the news by tonight or it's gone.

Why was Loudninja banned again?

Damn I'm so scared to even ask this question :lol

Seriously tho, what did he do wrong?

No disrespect to OP or OPM. I don't value their opinion enough to warrant posting text from reviews. Just give us the scores and news in the future.

Another loss for the superfriends. Loudninja goes back to PS3forums.

Dante

shidoshi said:
So then, we can use a 1-10 scale, and everything can be a 7 or 8.

Bad, Poor, Average, Good, Great. That's all you need. So what if a lot of games either fall into good or great? Does that really tell you less than trying to decipher what the difference between a 6 and a 7, or a 7 and an 8 is?

I think EGM uses the 10 point scale quite well. I guess it's a psycholgical hurdle more than anything 3-4 is just so close to 5 it's a bit difficultto really tell the difference between average and good.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Jenga said:
Assassin's Creed > Uncharted apparently. in b4 sony defense forces attacks their own mag

I would actually agree with that. I had noticeably more fun with Assassin's Creed than I did with Uncharted.

Posted this just to prove that it isn't just "moneyhats" who are "enjoying" AC. Normal gamers are as well.

dirtmonkey37 said:
I would actually agree with that. I had noticeably more fun with Assassin's Creed than I did with Uncharted.

Posted this just to prove that it isn't just "moneyhats" who are "enjoying" AC. Normal gamers are as well.

It'd take something of the sort to find only one (1) thing to list as a minus though. Not even the most avid AC fans are blind to the many serious flaws in the game, yet strangely this guy is. I don't know if it's a money hat or delusion, but that review isn't an honest, truthful review.

harSon

Banned
WasabiKing said:
No, YOU

BTW, don't pull the misleading title thing, cause you will lose new post privys. Put up the news by tonight or it's gone.

You're my hero WasabiKing, may you live a blessed life.

Also, as much as I love Assassins Creed, it is in no way shape or form in the same league as Uncharted.

kenta

Has no PEINS
Diablohead said:
Hope you joke, you don't treat stars like that, read what the star value means and work it out from there.
I think he was referencing Metacritic and GameRankings

kenta

Has no PEINS
Mr_Furious said:
So OPM read my 5-star rating system post/proposal. Sweet!

Now all the rest of you non-5 star reviewers need to catch on. ;)
Except this is actually a 10-star system

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
AltogetherAndrews said:
It'd take something of the sort to find only one (1) thing to list as a minus though. Not even the most avid AC fans are blind to the many serious flaws in the game, yet strangely this guy is. I don't know if it's a money hat or delusion, but that review isn't an honest, truthful review.

Personally, and avoiding a written review because that would take too much time, I would chart the game as a 9.5 (assuming I'm going on a 0.5 scale), so I can at least definitely see how one could forego all of the minor gripes (or what I considered minor at least) of repetition in the missions that build up to the final Assassinations. Maybe it's becasue I actually listened to what the NPCs were saying during every pick-pocket mission or maybe it's because I was so enveloped in the story that what each individual preacher that I needed to mug for information contained interesting words to develop the character of my target. Whatever it may have been, repetition did not hit me as hard as it did some other gamers.

I have not read the full review, so if it is the text that is causing all the commotion then I cannot comment on the issue at hand. However, if it's the score (which still holds some merit), then I'll chime in and say that I don't find it to be too unbelievable.

Even Resident Evil 4, a game that a considerable number of critics awarded a perfect score to, had its flaws. But, apparently to those who assessed the final product, the game had so much to offer, it's flaws were a matter of minutia when the title was viewed as a whole (I personally didn't think RE4 was as amazing as critics and gamers claimed alike).

dirtmonkey37 said:
I have not read the full review, so if it is the text that is causing all the commotion then I cannot comment on the issue at hand. However, if it's the score (which still holds some merit), then I'll chime in and say that I don't find it to be too unbelievable.

Even Resident Evil 4, a game that a considerable number of critics awarded a perfect score to, had its flaws. But, apparently to those who assessed the final product, the game had so much to offer, it's flaws were a matter of minutia when the title was viewed as a whole (I personally didn't think RE4 was as amazing as critics and gamers claimed alike).

That's a nice case for how games can overcome its flaws, but it doesn't actually apply here. Notice the structure used here, how it breaks things down to fit neatly into Plus or Minus? The whole is disregarded in favor of a point by point checklist of strengths and weaknesses. Considering the format, there should be more minus points there. No matter how infatuated you are with the game, you'd have to blind, delusional or a liar to argue that there is only one weakness worth mentioning, the loading times. Especially if you're reviewing the PS3 version which shipped with performance issues and ridiculous amounts of visual and gameplay glitches.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
MetatronM said:
And? Are they not all "5 star games?"

It's not reviewers' faults that a lot of companies have been releasing very high quality product of late.

Uh, there's no "and". They all deserve 5 stars on a 5 star system. I'm just saying that if a reviewer chooses to use a star system, there will be some lost granularity. No one should look at 5 stars and think that this means 10.0. It was an observation, not a praise or a criticism.

Basch

Just wanted to let you guys know, that I updated the OP with the MGS4 material presented in the issue. Hopefully, some of it is new or something that you can enjoy. :D I will be working on the little blog Evan Wells' gave on Uncharted's post mortem next. So if you are looking forward to that, keep hitting the refresh button... twenty minutes from now. :lol

Basch

The Uncharted Post Mortem POV by Evan Wells has been added to the OP. Quite interesting. I dare you to take a look. :D

Well, that is going to be it for today. I have included a progress report at the bottom of the OP. But in case you're lazy and don't want to make that extra click, I will update the thread again tomorrow. When that time comes, hopefully, you will be able to see the rest of the review tidbits and the Top 10 Games of '08 cover story. Until then, enjoy yourselves. :D

Kittonwy

Banned
I'm proud of Naughty Dog for making Uncharted, hands-down the best game on the PS3.
gladtomeetya.gif

Whoa, MGS4 is showing a non-placeholder date of 06/24/08 on Gamestop.com. I guess that's the date they are aiming for; let's hope they make it.

Basch

Vyse The Legend said:
Whoa, MGS4 is showing a non-placeholder date of 06/24/08 on Gamestop.com. I guess that's the date they are aiming for; let's hope they make it.

Well, the magazine says Spring 2008. So it sounds like game to me. :D

Top Bottom