• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meet the HTC Magic (Reviews are in!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
SFA_AOK said:
Haha, sorry, sorry! :)

Latest tweetings from T-Mobile UK is that the Hero is going to be free on a £40 a month contract (no word on other contract rates). Bit pricey for my liking, especially if I can get the Magic for £30 a month and flash with a Hero ROM.

I really need to calm down, I should wait at least a month before taking the plunge but I want a new phone now! :p

"Free" is a bit pricey? Be thankful you don't have to deal with those rates on top of $200 USD-worth of quid or whatever you crazy Brits use.

SFA_AOK

The phone may be free, the service is not. Over an 18 month contract, if I'm paying £10 a month more, it ends up costing me £180 more. Cost versus phone, in this one, the cost wins out (partly because the Magic actually seems like a good phone anyway).

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Andrex said:
Interestingly I just found out the Rogers 288MB version will work on AT&T's US 3G band. Might get it.

What do you say to THAT Chojin!
There are different version of HTC Magic with Rogers ? With different RAM or something ?

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
NetMapel said:
There are different version of HTC Magic with Rogers ? With different RAM or something ?

T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, HTC Magic (Vodafone):
Google Experience Phone (Stock Android Firmware), 192 MB RAM, 32B (Slower) Chipset​

HTC Magic (Rogers, Rest of Europe, Asia):
Non-Google Experience Phone (HTC Firmware with custom soft keyboard, smart dialer, some other niceties), 288 MB RAM, 32A (Faster) Chipset​

It seems HTC is giving you every incentive to buy their branded version if you can.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Or we'll see if Google releases the Ion as the ADP2 before I make a decision. Blue band + root = <3

Skittleguy

Ring a Bell for me
Good news for anyone who owns a non-Google experience Magic, it looks like HTC will be bringing the Sense UI to us sometime in October (legitimately)! Unfortunately, for those of you with Google branded phones (myTouch3G), you'll have to make due with XDA patches (which are actually surprisingly good).

Source.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
For Canadians, HTC Magic on sale at Futureshop and Bestbuy ($49.99 with 3-year-plan). However, what REALLY caught my eyes is this:

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pr...665000FS10124930&catid=26372&logon=&langid=EN

$399.99 prior to the discount. I wonder if that means I can get the phone for $399.99 without contract or something else ? Somebody explain ! But I have a feeling that I'll get screwed over with their plans or whatever if I buy the phone for without contract because my current contract is not over yet.

Total phone ignoramus here. I'm looking for an upgrade and have narrowed my choices down to the G1 or Magic. So far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the ROM and OS. Are there any other ones (besides no physical keyboard)? Can the G1 run Android 1.5? and will the ROM affect the phones performance with respect to apps? The difference between the two is only $50 so I'm open to either

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
kiruyama said:
Total phone ignoramus here. I'm looking for an upgrade and have narrowed my choices down to the G1 or Magic. So far as I can tell, the only difference between the two is the ROM and OS. Are there any other ones (besides no physical keyboard)? Can the G1 run Android 1.5? and will the ROM affect the phones performance with respect to apps? The difference between the two is only $50 so I'm open to either

The MyTouch/Magic is a little bit faster from most accounts. However, the G1 can and does run 1.5 too.

I'd go with the Magic if only because there's been a ton of complaining over the G1's small internal memory (since you can't run apps from the SD card at this time.) But I don't know if you prefer a hardware keyboard- if you do, the G1's is at the top of the class.

Andrex said:
The MyTouch/Magic is a little bit faster from most accounts. However, the G1 can and does run 1.5 too.

I'd go with the Magic if only because there's been a ton of complaining over the G1's small internal memory (since you can't run apps from the SD card at this time.) But I don't know if you prefer a hardware keyboard- if you do, the G1's is at the top of the class.

thanks for the quick reply! so the G1 can't run apps off of a microSD but the magic can? What about all that other stuff that was missing from the G1 at launch (like no video recording)?

El Papa said:
I would take a look at the Android Hardware thread.

ill take a look :)

El Papa

G1 can run apps on SD, but requires root. Some of the roms out there automatically install all apps to the SD if you have a ext2/ext3/ext4 partition.

Alright, I see. I think I'll go with the Magic. Slightly faster and a little easier to move apps around on, plus the design is more appealing. Thanks for the help Andrex and El Papa.

El Papa

All Android 1.5 devices have video recording, including the G1. Out of the box, the g1 amd mytouch or the same software wise, runing 1.5. No version of Android runs apps off of SD natively, however there are various roms that do, which require you to root your phone.

I have a G1 (using it to post atm), and I would still choose it over the mytouch because of the keyboard. I need a physical keyboard. If you need a physical kb, I would suggest waiting a month or 2 till some if the new Android phones come out. If you can't wait, decide if you need a keyboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom