• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Throws a 'Thank You Party' for Jim Ryan in Tokyo, Surprises Him with a PS1-themed PS5 and DualSense as a Parting Gift

Solidus_T

WOW that controller. Also the console colors... Sony please release that controller. I'm sure fans will appreciate it even more than Jim.

MacReady13

That PS1 style controller looks AMAZING! FUCK I want it so bad!

Best of luck to Jim Ryan and thanks for keeping PlayStation viable in the console race. Many millions of us love consoles and never want to see them go away and many millions of us thank you for keeping PlayStation strong in that time.

bitbydeath

We need to get you a bag of these:
ZnyR0YQ.jpg
Should make this our new ‘Praise the Sun’ icon.

Ozzie666

Sony should really release a special run of PS1 styled PS5's, including controller, colouring, special start-up, extra usb slots on the front to mimic memory cards. Retro packaging, the lot. I reckont hey would make a killing, nostalgia is a bitch and the thirst is real. Looks so good.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony should really release a special run of PS1 styled PS5's, including controller, colouring, special start-up, extra usb slots on the front to mimic memory cards. Retro packaging, the lot. I reckont hey would make a killing, nostalgia is a bitch and the thirst is real. Looks so good.
The one they did for PS4 was quite good looking but this one, nah. Maybe it's because PS5 is just an ugly system.

Couldn't even spring for a slim or a disk drive

But more seriously, I think the coolest thing is the ps1 controller usb cable

The digital is the best-looking one and the slim doesn't have face plates in production yet. Not likely to be played, more likely to be displayed.

They will definitely produce this for their anniversary next year (2024 JP, 2025 (NA/EU) but they won't do the usb cable like that.

I actually hope they settle on a better shade of grey. The two-tone looks off.

That is so much better than the white they went with.

They did that on purpose.

If they released black face plates from the get go, few people would upgrade. White encourages people to buy new plates.

Same reason they released the white controller and then the black controller.

Same reason they released the controller without the colored icons/logo so that they could release that at a later date. I bet we'll see at least 3 skus

White with colored icons/logo, black with colored icons/logo, grey with colored icons/logo.

I bet the Dual Sense is the best-selling PlayStation controller of all time (life to date).

Ansphn

Jim Ryan will go down as one of the best of all time at PlayStation. The seeds he planted during his time as CEO will grow into redwood trees. For example Bungie.

Last edited:

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Ken kutaragi will always be my guy. Kaz was pretty good too. Jim kind of reminds me of Peter moore. Both did good things though

I still get a kick out of this E3 presentation, even a decade later

That shit eating grin on his face when he realizes that with a few PowerPoint slides he likely just won the generation.

Muffdraul

If being a Sony Playstation executive is the only way to get a gray PSX themed dual sense controller, well then, god damn it, I better get started on that...

Quantum253

I still get a kick out of this E3 presentation, even a decade later

That shit eating grin on his face when he realizes that with a few PowerPoint slides he likely just won the generation.

It was a good conference. It's when I changed from primary Xbox to Playstation. And the how-to-share-a-game skit was epic too. I didn't like Don Mattick and the whole Tv/tv/tv vibe with One

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
What happened, exactly?
He was forced to retire due to the handling of the PS3 launch but his contribution was hard to dismiss so his was giving Honorary Chairman but had no power.
it was sugar coated but the whole industry knew he was fired and forced to step down.

GAF machine

He was forced to retire due to the handling of the PS3 launch but his contribution was hard to dismiss so his was giving Honorary Chairman but had no power.
it was sugar coated but the whole industry knew he was fired and forced to step down.
Ken was replaced with immediate effect.

jw6jXRk.jpg

EXEhcVM.jpg

I was hoping for an answer that wasn't a version of "Kutaragi got fired".

PS3's launch/losses had nothing to do with Ken leaving. Before starting work on PS1, he drew a roadmap that ended at PS3. He's on record a couple years prior to PS3's launch saying "my first dream was to retire when I was 50". He was 56 when PS3 shipped. Prior to PS3 shipping, he told one of his so-called bosses (Shigeo Maruyama, 'STOPPING AT THREE') "[PlayStation 4] is not my responsibility."

Those aren't the words of a man "fired and forced to step down" or "replaced with immediate effect". Those are the words of a man headed for the exit under his own self-determination. The industry's "kUtArAgI WaS OuStEd" narrative is a crock of crap.

Another factor in Ken leaving was that he had other ideas he wanted to explore, some of which were beyond SCE's capacity. Kaz Hirai touched on this and Ken's honorary chairmanship when he was asked about speculation around Ken's departure.

His honorary chairmanship wasn't some disingenuous public pat on the back. It was an advisory role given out of respect and continuity of purpose for PS3 and PSN. Kutaragi didn't need to hold executive power as Honorary Chairman to effectuate his aims. Holding one ear in the boardroom and one ear in the lab is power enough.

Jim Ryan deserves a cookie; but no matter how the pie gets sliced, it's essentially Kutaragi's pie. Ryan (like every CEO after Kutaragi) found his success in a product that was built on the tried-and-true principals of Kutaragi's initial hardware approach (i.e., "The objective was a high-performance, low-price videogame system which also had a design which was easy to write games for."), and in a platform vision/group strategy that Kutaragi conjured up and led with:

Ken Kutaragi (Hot Chips 1999: New Millennium for Computer Entertainment)
⦁ Our vision: music, movie, computer entertainment oval
Jim Ryan (Sony IR Day 2023)
⦁ Where we intend to meet our users: music, movie, computer entertainment oval

Ken Kutaragi (2003 Transformation 60 Corporate Strategy Meeting)
Intercompany collaboration to accelerate '21st century entertainment experience'
Jim Ryan (Sony IR Day 2022)
⦁ Transformative Sony Group collaboration to 'amplify IP synergies'

CEO percentages aren't important. What's important is that Ryan successfully managed the business and brought SIE closer to achieving Kutaragi's entertainment/network services end goal (i.e., Services 3.0)...

'With a network future in mind, Kutaragi is rapidly making deals he hopes will create the infrastructure for a high-speed broadband network to handle games and other services for PlayStation. His goal is to establish the PlayStation as a separate brand, not part of a dedicated Sony network for the online distribution of music, movies, and TV shows'. -- Bloomberg

Perhaps the most intriguing part of Kutaragi's vision for the broadband future is that it will make current excitement about the console wars, and who has what must-have game, irrelevant. "In the future, broadband will connect all appliances - console, TV, phone, PC, everything. Then exclusivity means nothing." -- Ken Kutaragi

GB4YfHrasAAsOy3.jpg

Oh, and one last thing about that pie chart. Tokunaka had the title of CEO, but Kutaragi handled the Execution...

"There was a meeting with only maybe eight people in it. No other executives. It was just Kutaragi’s team pitching Ohga. Ohga was personally interested in the project. And after Ohga saw the whole presentation, he just said, “Go for it. Do it. This is a project that Sony needs to be in.” He just decided it by himself. No other executives voted, only Ohga. Ohga said “do it” and that became a legendary story. Ken’s career went from almost zero [to essentially running Sony Computer Entertainment]." -- Shuji Utsumi

"As well as being an engineer, I have been involved in the business side of things for many years. I helped start the company, and I have always been involved in business decisions". -- Ken Kutaragi

'Unlike most game consoles at the time, the PlayStation instantly became a showcase for 3D graphics. And unlike most engineers, Kutaragi had overseen nearly every aspect of the managerial and business deals that brought it together'. -- Polygon

0351_4ij9t.gif

Last edited:
Top Bottom