• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

Are you saying your PS5 doesn't have this screw?

cn9lfdN.jpg
No mine didn’t…will check my other one later but i had to use one from one of my pc builds

Ran into my first issue….rest mode no matter what game is suspended always crashes

Gamerguy84

It's so easy almost anyone can do it, especially with the guides. There are ready YT videos popping up as we speak. I'm sure Sony will have their own.

I've done at least 8 different laptops with NVMe which is also easy physically, just more confusing putting win 10 back on the boot device. Actually most of those came with free software to clone the HDD to the NVMe.

However I'm one of those that won't need this for a while for reasons like I don't play 10 games at once, I'm not big on multiplayer games, already have external backup, fast internet, no data caps.

This is the same thing as past PS consoles except it's easier because your not replacing OS and all your data. Your just adding storage.

People will be fine.

OrtizTwelve

Source: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/support/hardware/ps5-install-m2-ssd/

Important​

This feature is only available to beta users at this time. The internal M.2 SSD expansion feature will be enabled via an upcoming PS5 system software update. Please check the guide below for more information. Please note that because this is a beta, features and specifications described herein may change prior to the official system software release.

What is an M.2 SSD?​

M.2 SSD devices are a high-speed solid state drive medium that PS5 beta users can install to upgrade the storage capacity of their PS5 console or PS5 Digital Edition console (separate purchase required). We recommend verifying that you’ve received a beta invitation before purchasing a new M.2 SSD.

Why add an M.2 SSD to your PS5 console?​

Once installed in the PS5 console, M.2 SSD storage can be used to download, copy, and launch PS5 and PS4 games, as well as media apps. This allows you to increase the storage space available to you on your PS5 console. You can freely move games between the PS5 console’s storage, a connected USB extended storage device and the added M.2 SSD storage.

M.2 SSD requirements for PS5 consoles
Interface
: PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD
Capacity: 250GB – 4TB
Cooling structure: Using an M.2 SSD with your PS5 console requires effective heat dissipation with a cooling structure, such as a heatsink. You can attach one to your M.2 SSD yourself, either in a single-sided format, or double-sided format. There are also M.2 SSDs that have cooling structures (such as heatsinks) built in.
Sequential read speed: 5,500MB/s or faster is recommended
Module width: 22mm width (25mm width is not supported)
Form Factor: M.2 type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110.
These numbers can be found on retail listings for M.2 SSD devices. The first two digits refer to the width, the remaining digits to the length.
Socket type: Socket 3 (Key M)
Total size including cooling structure:
In millimeters: smaller than 110mm (L) x 25mm (W) x 11.25mm (H).
In inches: smaller than 4.33in (L) x 0.984 in (W) x 0.442in (H).
See below for full requirements.
Length
The following M.2 SSD lengths are compatible with PS5 consoles:
30mm, 42mm, 60mm, 80mm, 110mm (corresponding to the form factor type, per above).
Width
A 22mm-wide M.2 SSD module is required.
The total structure (including an added cooling structure) cannot exceed 25mm (0.984in).
Height
The total height of the M.2 SSD and its cooling structure (such as a heatsink) – whether built-in or separate – must be less than 11.25mm (0.442in).
The height must also be in the right place, in relation to the M.2 SSD’s circuit board:
  • The size below the board must be less than 2.45mm (0.096in).
  • The total size above the board must be less than 8mm (0.314in).
(Note: millimeter measurements are the technical standard and are more precise than inches. We recommend double-checking that the total dimensions of M.2 SSD and heatsink products you’re considering meet the millimeter requirements before purchasing)

m2-heatsink-built-in$en

m2-heatsink-single-sided$en

m2-heatsink-double-sided$en

• Both single-sided and double-sided M.2 SSD devices are supported.
  • M.2 SATA SSDs aren’t supported.
  • You should carefully review drive specifications prior to purchase and contact the vendor or manufacturer if you need further information. SIE cannot guarantee that all M.2 SSD devices meeting the described specifications will work with your console and assumes no responsibility for the selection, performance or use of third-party products.
  • Not all games are necessarily playable with the exact same performance provided by the PS5 console’s internal Ultra-High Speed SSD, even where the M.2 SSD device’s sequential read speed is faster than 5500MB/s.
  • The majority of M.2 SSD devices with the above type numbers (M Key Type 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 and 22110) and without a built-in cooling structure will fit the PS5 console’s SSD slot. However, sizes for cooling structures (like heatsinks) vary greatly. If you are not sure an M.2 SSD or cooling structure (such as a heatsink) you’re considering meets the size requirements outlined here, we recommend looking for another product option or contacting the vendor or manufacturer for more information.
If you experience problems while playing a game installed on M.2 SSD storage, move the game to the internal Ultra-High Speed console storage.

Until Sony releases their own branded consumer line SSDs or “memory expansions” that you can buy on Amazon or Best Buy, with everything guaranteed to work out of the box, with the PlayStation logo on the retail packaging, all of this is just a mess for the average consumer to try and understand.

XBOX did it the right way at launch.

Aroll

I've got 2 m.2 drives in my PC, neither have a heatsink on and both perform at the advertised speeds. It's as simple as checking what the recommendation is by the drive manufacturer.

It pretty much is. If the SSD manufacturer say it will perform at the advertised speeds without a heatsink then that's exactly what it will do (if not you have a faulty drive). Suddenly slotting that same drive into a PS5 doesn't mean it's doing anything special.
Fundamentally it shouldn’t matter. Of course, it can matter depending how how bad the cooling is.
M.2’s are often designed to be flat on a board with decent airflow going over them. One of the major concerns of the PS5 has been it’s really poor air flow and cooling capabilities, as proven by gamers nexus and I think one issue right now, is that there is basically no air flow or air being pushed directly over that SSD spot. Meaning, the only way to dissipate heat is to just radiate it off, since airflow isn’t going to help. And for thst, you will need a heat sink.

this isn’t about what the SSD states it can do without one, because that’s for environments where airflow isn’t a problem. Very choked air systems with gen 4 ssd’s have had issues.

in the end, Sony is just saying hey, we suggest you rediate that heat because we didn’t design a good enough cooling solution.

oh well. People won’t care. It’s just like messing with any pc.

Aroll

Until Sony releases their own branded consumer line SSDs or “memory expansions” that you can buy on Amazon or Best Buy, with everything guaranteed to work out of the box, with the PlayStation logo on the retail packaging, all of this is just a mess for the average consumer to try and understand.

For non pc or techie types, this is absolutely true. For the average end consumer it’s very confusing, even if inarguably more flexible. Series s/x solution is simple to understand.

still, I think most will get over it.

I agree ….it’s not terribly hard to install the drive but trying to decrypt the compatibility is a minefield and most m2 drives that I have purchased don’t come with heat sinks so I got pretty lucky that the one I had spare worked but it sits pretty snug inside the bay so I don’t think it’s getting the airflow it needs to cool

love to see the professionals measure heat on this one as I’m not starting to notice quite a bit of heat coming from the ps5…..people with their units in a cabinet are going to have to move it out I think.

played Spider-Man and wreckfest now for a couple of hours and the wall behind my ps5 is actually very hot

The other thing I have to appreciate with the Xbox solution is that I can grab that card bring it to a friends and play any of the games on the card. Is it possible to pull out the PS5 NVME and install it into a friends system with games loaded on it and play? I'd bring my own screwdriver.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
I agree ….it’s not terribly hard to install the drive but trying to decrypt the compatibility is a minefield and most m2 drives that I have purchased don’t come with heat sinks so I got pretty lucky that the one I had spare worked but it sits pretty snug inside the bay so I don’t think it’s getting the airflow it needs to cool

love to see the professionals measure heat on this one as I’m not starting to notice quite a bit of heat coming from the ps5…..people with their units in a cabinet are going to have to move it out I think.

played Spider-Man and wreckfest now for a couple of hours and the wall behind my ps5 is actually very hot
Any increased fan noise have you noticed? Because, you know, this is what people are going to go bat shit crazy about if there’s an increase in noise…

Also, sorry, you got the SN850 didn’t you? Could you link please the heat sink you went for? I am hovering over the 2Tb model on Amazon as a previous poster mentioned, before all the scalpers buy them up.

Last edited:

small_law

I just got myself a 2TB T7 for PS4 games and I will get an HDD for PS5 games when storage becomes an issue. It only takes a few minutes at most to move games back and forth.
That's the drive I use. It isn't the fastest NVMe external drive you can get, but it's definitely fast enough for cold storage and playing PS4 games.

Any increased fan noise have you noticed? Because, you know, this is what people are going to go bat shit crazy about if there’s an increase in noise…

Also, sorry, you got the SN850 didn’t you? Could you link please the heat sink you went for? I am hovering over the 2Tb model on Amazon as a previous poster mentioned, before all the scalpers buy them up.
Only slightly increased noise…but much hotter
Ssd used was Samsung 980pro
Heatsink was just a generic eBay special…single side with a thermal pad…held on with bands

OrtizTwelve

I think eventually there will be officially branded PlayStation “memory expansions” but honestly reading those instructions and requirements will give the average consumer a headache.

kyliethicc

You mean like this "official" hard drive for PS4? Its just a normal USB HDD with a PS logo on it.

Sure they could do that with a M.2 SSD. They probably will. But whats the point? So we can pay extra for a logo?

7ImUvP5.jpg

reksveks

You mean like this "official" hard drive for PS4? Its just a normal USB HDD with a PS logo on it.

Sure they could do that with a M.2 SSD. They probably will. But whats the point? So we can pay extra for a logo?

7ImUvP5.jpg

You wouldn't but some people are time starved instead of money starved so they pay extra for convenience. Not using starved literally.

Should Sony allow NVME manufacturers to state PS5 comparability on the packaging?

Yes they should.

Should Sony have developed a proprietary solution instead that's double the price of your typical PC equivalent drive?

While the ease of use might be worth it to some I don't believe we should be paying 400$ for a 1TB NVME drive.

Bitmap Frogs

Mr. Community

User upgrades from off the shelf components is always preferable to proprietary gouging solutions.

It was true for the vita, it’s true for the new xboxes.

Md Ray

Let's be real. This is not going to be an easy process for the average consumer. Even knowing what to buy is going to be a challenge for a lot of people. Everyone I know added external USB 3.0 drives to PS4 over changing the internal drive. The only reason I changed my PS4 hard drive is because it died.

If someone releases a product that's complete for this specific purpose it will be easy. But if people have to measure heatsinks and get a certain size and speed drive and put it all together they're gonna screw it up. It's no harder than a PC upgrade but a lot of people can't do that either.
Even if they made a list or something of "PS5 Compatible M.2 SSDs"?

What exactly is hard to understand ?? Sony said there would not be any capable drives available at launch and not to buy an SSD until they give you a list of compatible/tested drives . The Beta allows you to try an SSD if you have one but they are not telling you to go and buy one, they actualluy tell you it may not work if you do.

The only consumers this will be a mess for are those who don't listen to what they are being told.

Last edited:

Md Ray

I don't know why some people are trying to spin this as some impossible task to do. Not to mention fears of the console melting down due to the SSD.
Yeah, Cerny did in fact mention that they'll be letting us know which drives to get. 🤷‍♂️ Once you get a compatible M.2 drive, installing it is way easier than replacing/upgrading the existing HDD of your PS4/3.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Absolutely… I mean, providing one very limited and expensive per TB method of memory expansion though easiest to install is absolutely the right way to go.

I think $210 per TB sounds great. I also love that if I went above 1 TB I’d have to keep track of what I stored on what expansion drive.

Enough with the right n wrong way stuff. The argument is pointless.

Md Ray

Just pointing out that if you put a pci 4x2 drive in a pci 3 mother board then the speeds would be slower. I could be wrong and the youtuber is using proper motherboard but I cannot tell.
You're probably right. But it's still a peak 2.4 GB/s drive though... Not 5 GB/s like the DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! 🤡 here was trying to spin.

iFixit reported the drive to be a WD SN530 inside SX. When you look up the specs of this part on the official page, this is what you see:
NUW0Shx.png

Last edited:

Evilms

Banned

PS5 compatible SSD M.2 Gen 4

-Seagate FireCuda 530 : $255 for 1TB
-Western Digital Black SN850 : $250 for 1TB
-Gigabyte Aorus NVMe Gen 4 7000S : $199 for 1TB
-Patriot Viper VP4300 : $225 for 1TB
-Samsung 980 Pro : $199 for 1TB
-Sabrent Rocket 4 Plus : $199 for 1TB
-Corsair MP600 Pro : $199 for 1TB
-Inland Performance Plus : $189 for 1TB
-A-data S70 Gammix : $159 for 1TB
-MSI Spatium M480 : $250 for 1TB

To be tested and verified :

-KINGMAX PX4480 for 1TB
-Silicon Power US70 for 1TB

Last edited:

sendit

My god, I seriously have to wonder about people like you. Are you being intentionally ignorant, or do you legitimately not understand and comprehend basic things?

the house example seems to have completely flown over your head. It is an example of how everything is “simple” if you know how to do it and are prepared to research and attempt it. It is deliberately an extreme example to highlight the absurdity of what you are saying.

Your average “Gamer” isn’t going to do the required research and work to do this, just like they don’t just do the research and build their own PC, which is equally simple when you know what you’re doing.
I think eventually there will be officially branded PlayStation “memory expansions” but honestly reading those instructions and requirements will give the average consumer a headache.

Agreed. People here keep projecting their own willingness and experience to do this. Regardless of price performance ratio. From a mass produced consumer product, the ease of use from a end-user's perspective goes to Microsoft. With that said, I'm sure Sony will release their own M.2 (w/ official PS stamp) drive to reduce confusion.

This post doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy with the current M.2s on the market:

"almost indistinguishable" isn't exactly.

Last edited:

Connxtion

User upgrades from off the shelf components is always preferable to proprietary gouging solutions.

It was true for the vita, it’s true for the new xboxes.
Normally I agree, but am getting to old to be faffing about with thermal pads and heat syncs 😂 and can’t be bothered searching for a drive, that may or may not give me the correct performance.

Also once the official supported drives list is final scalpers will start buying them all and you will be paying double, smart but scummy peeps.

Now in my eyes Microsoft has the right idea for the casual user, 1 drive and it just works. Do I wish there were cheaper options of corse but as of right now I can grab one for £180 and I just shove it in the back of the Xbox and done.

I wonder when MS is going to open the drive manufacturing to other manufactures?

ReBurn

Gold Member
For those people do it the easy way. You take your PS5 to the game shop and they'll install it for you and set it up as well, same was with the internal in PS4. Also the shopkeeper will suggest the best for you as well. THAT's how the average consumer is doing it.
That's exactly what I'm saying. They probably aren't going to do it themselves.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
You're probably right. But it's still a peak 2.4 GB/s drive though... Not 5 GB/s like the DynamiteCop! DynamiteCop! 🤡 here was trying to spin.

iFixit reported the drive to be a WD SN530 inside SX. When you look up the specs of this part on the official page, this is what you see:
NUW0Shx.png
Its an SN530 with a different controller and custom ASIC for Gen4 support.
The controller is what err....controls the speed of a drive.
So while the serial number is SN530 its not the same as one you could just buy from WD.

They literally came out with a statement because people were erroneously reporting its just a stock drive:
Western Digital said:
According to Western Digital, the Xbox Series X's WD SN530 SSD isn't a stock OEM drive that's limited to PCIe Gen3 x4 performance. Instead, the drive has been outfitted with a special ASIC that enables both PCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2 performance, which allows for up to 3.938 GB of max throughput. For reference, the Series X targets 2.4GB/sec in uncompressed data transfers.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7613...as-custom-asic-to-support-pcie-4-0/index.html
The Series X targets 2.4GB/s but its drive can hit a max of ~4GB/s.
MS literally just being conservative by giving the drive a bunch of overhead.

Hell the expansion card rated the same comes with an E19T controller....the E19T is rated to 3.7GB/s.
20200924_163503-e1602703723351.jpg

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
In case this is useful, here is a posting (U.S.) regarding several choices of heat sinks for NVME drives in relation to PS5 installation. Notes Amazon.com prices and whether the cooling solution is good, bad, and whether they are tight fit or not:

In case useful, here's a video of someone putting a heat sink around an SN850 including temp differences in the test they ran (Not in a PS5) before and after attaching one:

I just received this heat sink from Amazon.com:

• Designed for Compact M.2 NVMe SSD Installation
• Aluminum body, Anodic Oxidation Surface Treatment.
• Aluminum alloy-Groove design, greatly increase the heat dissipation area, with 10°C – 30°C cooling effect.
• Compatible with Singel/Double-sided M.2 2280 SSDs.
• Easy to install, and not damage the SSD
• Advancing Gene thermal pad is made from Nano Silicon Grease Material, with good thermal conductivity ability. Soft enough and good ductility, compatible with uneven surfaces of the M.2 SSD. Low viscosity, with no damage to the SSD label.

Includes:
• M.2 SSD heatSink X1
• Silicone thermal pad X3
• Fixing screw X6
• Screwdriver X1

What I found putting it together with the WD SN850:
• I have to say that I found it very well packaged. It comes in a box very similar to the packaging type Apple uses for their phones/watches..etc.
• The included screwdriver was magnetic.
• The package I got had a third and possible unintended thermal pad included.
• The instructions were color and printed on quality paper, easy to read.
* I have not put one in my PS5 yet.. not a beta tester. I was just sharing what my experience so far is for this particular product.

Last edited:

Hypno285

Banned

Yes, Xbox did it right for it's braindead audience.

Literally any 256GB-4TB NVME gen4 m key SSD will work. It doesn't need to be 5Gb/s r/w and up.

I'd be fine with a 2TB 3500MB/s Nvme SSD if I had a PS5.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Its an SN530 with a different controller and custom ASIC for Gen4 support.
The controller is what err....controls the speed of a drive.
So while the serial number is SN530 its not the same as one you could just buy from WD.

They literally came out with a statement because people were erroneously reporting its just a stock drive:

The Series X targets 2.4GB/s but its drive can hit a max of ~4GB/s.
MS literally just being conservative by giving the drive a bunch of overhead.

Hell the expansion card rated the same comes with an E19T controller....the E19T is rated to 3.7GB/s.
20200924_163503-e1602703723351.jpg
That's not how I read that... It says PCIe 3 x4 and 4 x2 are maxed at 4GB/s.
"For reference, the Series X targets 2.4GB/sec in uncompressed data transfers."
They tell you the speed here.
It's fooking raw!

I'll break down the comment:
According to Western Digital, the Xbox Series X's WD SN530 SSD isn't a stock OEM drive that's limited to PCIe Gen3 x4 performance.
- The original drive was 2.4GB's using Gen3 x4 (max 4GB/s).
Instead, the drive has been outfitted with a special ASIC that enables both PCIe Gen3 x4 and Gen4 x2 performance, which allows for up to 3.938 GB of max throughput.
-The drive in the Series consoles has been updated that enables both 3 x4 (like the OG) and 4 x2 (which is what Series consoles use). 3 x4 and 4 x2 allows for up to 4GB/s.
For reference, the Series X targets 2.4GB/sec in uncompressed data transfers.
-This is the speed of the drive.

Last edited:

vpance

Agreed. People here keep projecting their own willingness and experience to do this. Regardless of price performance ratio. From a mass produced consumer product, the ease of use from a end-user's perspective goes to Microsoft. With that said, I'm sure Sony will release their own M.2 (w/ official PS stamp) drive to reduce confusion.

This post doesn't exactly have me jumping for joy with the current M.2s on the market:

"almost indistinguishable" isn't exactly.

I assume he means it's like within 0.5s load time diff or something.

That said, that's only for a year 1 title. Not sure I'd want to put anything less capable than a 980 in there. I'll stick with cold storage for now.

Top Bottom