• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Confirms PS5 Slim Will Still Support Expandable Storage

In a reassuring nod to gamers' storage needs, Sony has officially confirmed that its PS5 Slim console will maintain its expandable storage capabilities, ensuring players will still have the option to add extra storage to their console if they desire.

A PlayStation spokesperson told IGN via email that the PS5 Slim that "there are no changes with the new model," meaning the process of removing the back cover panel of the console and manually installing an additional SSD.

Either way, the PS5 Slim will include more memory than the launch version, sporting 1TB of internal SSD storage instead of the 825GB found on the launch model (which only 667GB was useable). Nevertheless, the PS5 Slim's continued support of expandable storage figures to be a big plus for those looking to buy the redesign.

With many blockbuster games launching on Sony's ninth-generation home console featuring hefty file sizes, the option to throw in an M.2 SSD to expand the storage on the system is a nice feature, especially when you consider that last month a software update rolled out, allowing support for up to 8TB of additional SSD storage.

As with the launch model, you can't just throw any M.2 SSD inside the PS5. Sony has previously said that the M.2 SSD needs to be PCIe Gen4, and while it said the read speeds need to be at minimum 5,500MB/s, several users have tested out that a slower read speed M.2 SSDs will work inside the console.

Sony will release the PS5 Slim sometime next month. For more, check out our piece on how the PS5 Slim compares side-by-side with the launch model and the Xbox Series consoles. If you plan to buy a PS5 anytime soon (Slim or not), check out the best PS5 SSD deals.

Last edited:

Roxkis_ii

You know what, I didn't see hdmi in that reveal pic... Ps5 slim no hdmi???

cry-weeping.gif

Last edited:
Glad IGN reached out to confirm it, and yeah, I was one of those GAF users who thought it was a bit sus when another posted pointed out that the m.2 slot was not mentioned like at all in the spec sheet. If you're doing a product spec sheet just mention everything to avoid any unnecessary confusion.

killatopak

Did they mention anything about the lanes thing to the SSD. I remember people wondering if it had any effect on the speed of the storage and BC with base PS5 since apparently you cannot have 1TB memory with the setup on base PS5.

ReBurn

Gold Member
There were people spreading rumors that it wouldn't?
No. The specs published to the PS Blog post don't mention expandable storage even though the specs list just about everything else, down to memory bandwidth and SSD size and read speed. People noticed the omission and were asking if expandable storage was still included. It was a fair question but people gotta have their hot takes.

https://blog.playstation.com/2023/10/10/new-look-for-ps5-console-this-holiday-season/

LOL why wouldn't it?
why doesn't the PS5 support 3D BR while the PS4 did and PS5 technically certainly can? (if not true anymore, my bad. I don't need it myself) Why did later PS3s not even have the software emulator anymore that was present in some versions?

If not explicitly stated, assuming that some feature now and then gets removed for some odd reason in a new revision is a very fair question.

ReBurn

Gold Member
why doesn't the PS5 support 3D BR while the PS4 did and PS5 technically certainly can? (if not true anymore, my bad. I don't need it myself) Why did later PS3s not even have the software emulator anymore that was present in some versions?

If not explicitly stated, assuming that some feature now and then gets removed for some odd reason in a new revision is a very fair question.
Especially given Sony's track record of removing features from their consoles.

Kadve

"Either way, the PS5 Slim will include more memory than the launch version, sporting 1TB of internal SSD storage instead of the 825GB found on the launch model (which only 667GB was useable)."

That's not what memory is IGN....

GHound

Why did later PS3s not even have the software emulator anymore that was present in some versions?
I can actually answer this bit.
With the original PS3 release the backwards compatibility was completely hardware and then when they revised that to cut costs they actually didn't completely remove all hardware.
What they did was remove the emotion engine processor (the CPU aspect) and EDO RAM and retained only the GPU aspect of the hardware. this is why if you introduce an environment (like CFW) where you can run theoretically attempt to run any PS2 game on any PS3 you see a drastic compatibility downgrade between full hardware back compat, hybrid back compat, and the software only emulation utilized for the cherry picked (and tested) PS2 Classics.

Last edited:

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Why are these idiots at IGN calling it PS5 Slim? It's clearly not a slim model, and Sony doesn't even call it that in the announcement

Tams

Now that OP's point has been addressed...

There's in effect only going to be one type of PS5 now, right? The only difference is the Digital edition doesn't come bundled with the disc drive already attached?

JimboJones

Now that OP's point has been addressed...

There's in effect only going to be one type of PS5 now, right? The only difference is the Digital edition doesn't come bundled with the disc drive already attached?
I believe so, probably streamline manufacturing for Sony.
What about liquid thermal paste?
Rumors was that this model has done away with liquid metal, haven't seen any confirmation, possibly have to wait for a teardown but it could be likely if it's putting out less heat and may help with manufacturing if they could go with standard thermal paste.

Top Bottom