• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Details on Playstation's 'Project Cronos' Cloud Streaming for PS5

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Earlier this week, PS5’s cloud streaming Beta officially rolled out to some PS5 users, and whilst we were only able to gather that the streaming will support up to 4K, Insider Gaming sources have provided us with more information on the streaming architecture.

Internally named Project Cronos (we previously reported this as Cronus), the new streaming architecture aims to build a robust PS5 streaming experience that will serve as a major step forward in the company’s growth in the ever-growing market.

It’s understood that the development of Cronos began 5 years ago due to the complexity surrounding the PlayStation 5’s SSD. Whilst the SSD is very fast in the PS5, it created a new challenge that made it impossible for Sony to develop the infrastructure needed using current technology on the market (functionality, latency, etc.). This meant that Sony, under the Future Technology Group, designed a completely new network storage solution based on PCIe (NTB) which leverages NTB and the PS5 I/O co-processors.

The final product is a custom storage server under the codename ‘Kura’ which reads up to 5 GB/s with <1ms latency.

Sources said that Sony will have a total of 28 data centers across 15 metros for the PS5 Cloud streaming rollout, with its plans to fully launch the feature in FY23 (April 2023 – March 2024).

Last edited:

midnightAI

So, what should we use to play it with? The Project Q is reportedly not meant for cloud gaming. So Steam Deck? Or are we always supposed to be home?

Sony lost me with this one. Just make Vita 2 ffs…
Isnt the whole point of cloud streaming that you can basically use any device that has a screen and can connect to the internet? Why are you restricting yourself to something like Steam Deck when a mobile phone or tablet will do the job (with a controller attachment), and yes, Project Q will most likely allow you connect to a wifi hotspot (why wouldnt it) so will work when paired with a phone for outdoor streaming.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
dracula-vampire.gif

Gamers right now.

NinjaBoiX

Yeah, cloud gaming is always absolutely rubbish in my experience, choppy performance and macro blocking every time you move the camera.

I’d love it to work well, I’d make great use of it. But I feel like internet infrastructure is nowhere near there yet, speeds and latency need to improve at least three fold for it to be viable for anyone really into gaming that won’t accept such a subpar experience.

So the project Q handheld not only to stream from a ps5 console but stream ps5 games with no console which in theory could now officially supports full 4k unless the screen supports 4k

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Does any of that make any sense? I’m reading it and don’t see how the ssd speed is the thing that causes the issue…

vivftp

So, what should we use to play it with? The Project Q is reportedly not meant for cloud gaming. So Steam Deck? Or are we always supposed to be home?

Cloud streaming via PS+ Premium is currently supported on PS4, PS5 and PC. You do not have to be home, you can be out and about so long as you've got some decent wifi.

We know Sony are planning an "aggressive cloud strategy" in the coming months so that could entail any number of things such as:

- Q Lite very well may play into the cloud initiative beyond the already stated remote play function. Since Q Lite runs on Android that opens up the door to the next one...
- A mobile app (at least for Android) very well could be coming as well, which opens up the door to the next one...
- Sony Bravia TVs run on Android so the introduction of an Android app opens the possibility to putting this on Bravias. Mobile and TV streaming was part of the original PS Now plan, so they may be finally ready to get everything out the door.
- Sony already allows PS+ Premium streaming on PC, so no doubt that'd also be enhanced with the move to PS5 hardware in the cloud
- The PS4 of course allows cloud streaming, so having the possibility of PS4 owners streaming PS5 games via the cloud (both PS+ Premium games and digitally owned games) is very intriguing. For example if a PS4 owner bought a game that's PS4/PS5 cross-buy and it was available for cloud streaming then they could conceivably play the PS5 version of their game via streaming to get the superior version via the cloud versus playing the lesser version locally.
- We know from an earlier PS Blog and from this initial test that Sony are going to allow cloud streaming of select digitally owned games, which means any of the above platforms I mentioned could be included. Of course we have to wait for official info, but the possibility is there.
- We had some leaks a couple of years ago that Sony was planning to expand cloud streaming to more countries like India, but those plans got put on hold due to the pandemic. They may finally be ready to continue their expansion so the possibility of more countries being added is there with a new rollout.

As for a Vita 2, what precisely do you think you'd be playing on it? There's no current option to make a handheld as powerful as the PS5 without making it laptop sized, so it won't be playing PS5 native games. Asking for it to have its own library is partly what doomed the Vita in the first place because Sony chose to (rightly) focus on the PS4 library, meaning the Vita didn't get nearly enough support.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Because not everyone reads OP, so TLDR:

While MS made game streaming better after PSNow, because it was their focus. Remote play on PS consoles was always ahead of Xbox remoteplay features. You had to use VPN for Xbox to be able to play it outside your house, while with PS, it was up and running from the PS3 that you could use it anywhere in the world with PSP, Vita and PSTV and since a couple of years also Windows, Mac, Android and IOS.

Last edited:

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Does any of that make any sense? I’m reading it and don’t see how the ssd speed is the thing that causes the issue…

I'm just amazed that in the midsts of:

A new console gen for PlayStation
Covid
Better competition for platform holders

Sony did a custom cloud streaming solution...and still found time to break console sales records here n there.

How .....how....

Last edited:

Ozriel

M$FT
I'm just amazed that in the midsts of:

A new console gen for PlayStation
Covid
Better competition for platform holders

Sony did a custom cloud streaming solution...and still found time to break console sales records here n there.

How .....how....

Did you read the OP? None of that talks about cannibalizing PS5 SoCs for Cloud blades like MS did. They’re able to pivot to this now that hardware demand’s being met.

What do you mean, how…how?

Question Reaction GIF by ProBit Global

Last edited:
Still waiting on a proof of concept that overcomes that problems inherent with streaming.

Remote Play works fine when you're at home, but only just. There are still several genres I wouldn't touch due to input delay.

jroc74

Did you read the OP? None of that talks about cannibalizing PS5 SoCs for Cloud blades like MS did. They’re able to pivot to this now that hardware demand’s being met.

What do you mean, how…how?

Question Reaction GIF by ProBit Global
waka-flocka-ok.gif

Its not that serious....

What you said doesnt negate my point.

Did you read the OP, this initially started 5 years ago.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Frankly, I've yet to have an honestly positive experience with cloud streaming games. If Sony can solve the inherent issues, awesome - can't wait to see it! If they haven't, and it's just more of the same, then I'm not sure it's worth the investment.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Cloud gaming is a waste of your cash!
Last year I was in the process of selling a house, traveling for two months for work, and buying a new house 2,000 miles away. For all of October and November the only way I could play anything was via Game Pass Cloud or GeForce Now (or my Switch light when it could connect to hotel WiFi). As someone who spent more than two months with it being my only option for gaming it absolutely wasn’t as waste of cash.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Who said this?

Dorfdad

Gold Member
Yeah, cloud gaming is always absolutely rubbish in my experience, choppy performance and macro blocking every time you move the camera.

I’d love it to work well, I’d make great use of it. But I feel like internet infrastructure is nowhere near there yet, speeds and latency need to improve at least three fold for it to be viable for anyone really into gaming that won’t accept such a subpar experience.
not my experience it works pretty darn good almost flawless and I have been playing FPS games at 120FPS in 1440p via Geforce Now. Sucks your probably in an area to far from data centers or have some bad ISP / Hops between you but when it gets fixed you will see its a pretty exciting thing.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Last year I was in the process of selling a house, traveling for two months for work, and buying a new house 2,000 miles away. For all of October and November the only way I could play anything was via Game Pass Cloud or GeForce Now (or my Switch light when it could connect to hotel WiFi). As someone who spent more than two months with it being my only option for gaming it absolutely wasn’t as waste of cash.
The elusive userbase of those moving house and living with Hotel WiFi for months in areas maybe near a data centre enough (and accepting what cloud streaming could do as the alternative was nothing, what kind of bar are we talking about?)…

MrTired

I appreciate it being of value to you, and others in that situation. However the 98% of gamer currently they don't see the value in it.

Stadia failed because people didn't see value in it even with supply chain issues limiting the hardware you could buy. If cloud gaming wasn't a value add to Gamepass ultimate would you pay for it separately?

vivftp

Would be great to be able to use it to trial games on PS+ before I download them like on GP.

You can do that right now with Plus Premium and PS4 games. Of course this will give us that ability for PS5 games, so it should be a damn good experience with the better quality and faster loading.

You can do that right now with Plus Premium and PS4 games. Of course this will give us that ability for PS5 games, so it should be a damn good experience with the better quality and faster loading.
Really? What tier of PS+ do I need for that?

Edit: nvm, just saw you said Plus Premium

Last edited:
There are a few things Sony are probably doing if they are being as aggressive about this as Jim Ryan indicated.

1. Q-lite will likely run an app (at some point) that’ll allow you to access PS+ Premium. With that people would have access to PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4 and PS5 games. As the hardware doesn’t look like it has 5g connectivity this will rely on a wifi connection,

2. PS+ Premium will likely come to PC, and in that some of the games will be able to be downloaded locally.

3. Remember that Netflix/PlayStation leak? I think something will come of that. In that leak the Netflix iOS app was datamined and logos for the Dualsense and icons for Ghost of Tsushima were found.

4. Apps on TVs

5. A dongle/puck that accesses PS+ Premium.

Last edited:

vivftp

Really? What tier of PS+ do I need for that?

Edit: nvm, just saw you said Plus Premium

Yup, been like that for many years going back to the PS Now days. Stream games to test them out and you can put them to download while play while streaming then switch over to local once it's downloaded

There are a few things Sony are probably doing if they are being as aggressive about this as Jim Ryan indicated.

1. Q-lite will likely run an app (at some point) that’ll allow you to access PS+ Premium. With that people would have access to PS1, PS2, PSP, PS3, PS4 and PS5 games. As the hardware doesn’t look like it has 5g connectivity this will rely on a wifi connection,

2. PS+ Premium will likely come to PC, and in that some of the games will be able to be downloaded locally.

3. Remember that Netflix/PlayStation leak? I think something will come of that. In that leak the Netflix iOS app was datamined and logos for the Dualsense and icons for Ghost of Tsushima were found.

4. Apps on TVs

1.Yeah, Q Lite will be wifi only, no 5G indicated. Of course you could just tether to a 5G phones hot spot if you wanted

#2 with local downloads to PC, I can only see happen if they do a PS launcher that integrates into PSN for trophy support and whatnot. In the meantime you can stream to PC right now

3. It's very likely Netflix just grabbed some random screenshots. No indication of a partnership with Sony as of yet, and Netflix is doing their own gaming thing

4. My guess is an Android app for mobile, which would then let them bring cloud gaming to Q Lite and Bravia TVs since they all run Android. Maybe bring it to Samsung TVs too since PS Now was on those TVs for a short while and Samsung have an Internet in game streaming

Yup, been like that for many years going back to the PS Now days. Stream games to test them out and you can put them to download while play while streaming then switch over to local once it's downloaded

1.Yeah, Q Lite will be wifi only, no 5G indicated. Of course you could just tether to a 5G phones hot spot if you wanted

#2 with local downloads to PC, I can only see happen if they do a PS launcher that integrates into PSN for trophy support and whatnot. In the meantime you can stream to PC right now

3. It's very likely Netflix just grabbed some random screenshots. No indication of a partnership with Sony as of yet, and Netflix is doing their own gaming thing

4. My guess is an Android app for mobile, which would then let them bring cloud gaming to Q Lite and Bravia TVs since they all run Android. Maybe bring it to Samsung TVs too since PS Now was on those TVs for a short while and Samsung have an Internet in game streaming
2. A reference to a PlayStation PC launcher was found in Spiderman. Whether that’s still happening is up in the air. It would make sense for Sony to have a launcher linked to PSN and have some connectivity between the two.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Wait, so everyone is after the cloud...and sonys been working on it for 5 years...

WTF! erm, that's cool I guess but I guess they need to work on how they get people to use this service.

vivftp

2. A reference to a PlayStation PC launcher was found in Spiderman. Whether that’s still happening is up in the air. It would make sense for Sony to have a launcher linked to PSN and have some connectivity between the two.

I'm sure it's in the works, just a question of how it's implemented. That said, that SM thing is more of a fun nod than an Easter egg of something that might come in the future. Sony doesn't play around and tease like that. They had to go through tons of hoops just to get a Vita into TLOU Part 2, no way they would ever tease a future service in a game.

Wait, so everyone is after the cloud...and sonys been working on it for 5 years...

WTF! erm, that's cool I guess but I guess they need to work on how they get people to use this service.

Sony's been in the cloud gaming scene for a decade now, and even further back for features like remote play

This is just the latest iteration to bring everything up to the current gen as the existing infrastructure uses PS3 and PS4 server blades. Now they will have PS5 server blades. Maybe they keep the PS3 blades, but it'd be nice if this coincided with PS3 emulation being announced so everything could run from one platform

I'm sure it's in the works, just a question of how it's implemented. That said, that SM thing is more of a fun nod than an Easter egg of something that might come in the future. Sony doesn't play around and tease like that. They had to go through tons of hoops just to get a Vita into TLOU Part 2, no way they would ever tease a future service in a game.

Sony's been in the cloud gaming scene for a decade now, and even further back for features like remote play

This is just the latest iteration to bring everything up to the current gen as the existing infrastructure uses PS3 and PS4 server blades. Now they will have PS5 server blades. Maybe they keep the PS3 blades, but it'd be nice if this coincided with PS3 emulation being announced so everything could run from one platform

Sorry I wasn’t clear - the PlayStation Launcher was added in by Nixxes to the Spider-Man code they used for PC.

supernova8

Banned
Not really interested in what Sony did or didn't do technology-wise, if it's choppy and irritating them I'm not using it.

Case Closed Starz GIF by Power Book II: Ghost

That said, I have used Xcloud to try out games before deciding on whether to actually install them on my Series S SSD (you know, not exactly brimming with storage capacity) and it's been eh good enough to at least get a rough feel for a game. Wouldn't bother unless it's a turn-based game where latency is basically irrelevant anyway.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Still hopeful somebody gets cloud gaming running constantly well......who knows, maybe Sony can do it eventually.....

Didn’t they only launch their Gamepass style library recently though?

Of course this needs a custom storage solution. The PS4 and PS3 libraries are also hardly on a single regular 320/500GB/1TB disk for each unit since you can't fit around 300+ games for each platform on the usual storage choice, so PS4 has to have some massive external drives (or maybe a very fast internal download for the requested game), which should be comparatively easy, while the PS3 also needs some custom external drive, which afaik never was officially supported for everyone, just jailbroken, and naturally Sony can unlock that. Now with SSD speeds and ever increasing game sizes this must get even funnier. But no surprise that server raid engineers or whatever can duct tape some SSDs as well.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Still hopeful somebody gets cloud gaming running constantly well......who knows, maybe Sony can do it eventually.....
Try Gerforce now. I don't like Nvidia, but this streaming service already works very well today, unfortunately a bit expensive at $20 per month. And Pc games only.

Last edited:

ManaByte

Gold Member
The elusive userbase of those moving house and living with Hotel WiFi for months in areas maybe near a data centre enough (and accepting what cloud streaming could do as the alternative was nothing, what kind of bar are we talking about?)…
What am I thinking? Fuck these companies for giving people access to games while away from a console. We must do everything we can to stop Sony from giving people this option!
If cloud gaming wasn't a value add to Gamepass ultimate would you pay for it separately?
I paid for GeForce Now when I needed it, so yes.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
What am I thinking? Fuck these companies for giving people access to games while away from a console. We must do everything we can to stop Sony from giving people this option!

I paid for GeForce Now when I needed it, so yes.
Option here removes budget there… I love the land of options with zero consequences you live in ;).

I just don’t understand why companies are putting so much money into these cloud streaming services that are nowhere near as good as native gaming and probably won’t be for years to come.

Cloud gaming on the go is dog shit and barely works. I’ve tried multiple times with Xbox Game Pass and it’s just bad on the move. If you’re at home, you’re much better off streaming via your home network to an iPad or your phone. It’s not perfect but it’s a bit better than cloud gaming and the input latency is somewhat bareable.

All of this is taking into account you have fibre broadband directly to your home and not through some exchange (FTTP), which in the UK is available in only certain areas. If you have the old copper cable or satellite broadband, forget it, it’s bad. The infrastructure just isn’t there for this kind of thing and only really works for music and video streaming.

Ozriel

M$FT
Option here removes budget there… I love the land of options with zero consequences you live in ;).

It’s probably a more sensible land than the one you live in where Sony hasn’t structured investment into this such that it doesn’t threaten investments into software.

They’re making investments into stuff like PSVR2 and Project Q for the future. It’s a sensible play.

4. Apps on TVs

PS+ Premium streaming is already on PC as a PS+ app, has been for several years via PSNow, but no downloading. I doubt its something they'll do without their own launcher connected to PSN like what Microsoft do with the Xbox app.

Didn’t they only launch their Gamepass style library recently though?

You were able to download games through PSNow for several years prior to the relaunch as PS+ Extra/Premium

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I just don’t understand why companies are putting so much money into these cloud streaming services that are nowhere near as good as native gaming and probably won’t be for years to come.

Cloud gaming on the go is dog shit and barely works. I’ve tried multiple times with Xbox Game Pass and it’s just bad on the move. If you’re at home, you’re much better off streaming via your home network to an iPad or your phone. It’s not perfect but it’s a bit better than cloud gaming and the input latency is somewhat bareable.

All of this is taking into account you have fibre broadband directly to your home and not through some exchange (FTTP), which in the UK is available in only certain areas. If you have the old copper cable or satellite broadband, forget it, it’s bad. The infrastructure just isn’t there for this kind of thing and only really works for music and video streaming.
They are building the concepts and delivery infrastructure now so that as ready for when domestic networks are capable they can take advantage of it. I imagine years ago people were saying "why are people building cars when all I have is a gravel track near my house", eventually local infrastructure will get there.

I'm not saying it will ever be as good as local hardware, but all it needs to be is good enough for a big chunk of people that don't want to buy a console, or want console-like experiences when not at home (i.e. office, hotel). Being able to play Destiny 2 at lunchtime via the browser on Stadia was awesome, it wasn't as good as playing it natively at home, but it was good enough for me to spend time doing that rather than something else.

As long as it remains a choice and not the only way to consume games, I don't see what people's problem is?

PS+ Premium streaming is already on PC as a PS+ app, has been for several years via PSNow, but no downloading. I doubt its something they'll do without their own launcher connected to PSN like what Microsoft do with the Xbox app.

You were able to download games through PSNow for several years prior to the relaunch as PS+ Extra/Premium
Oh a launcher is definitely coming. It’s been put in code for Spider-Man remastered on PC.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Try Gerforce now. I don't like Nvidia, but this streaming service already works very well today, unfortunately a bit expensive at $20 per month. And Pc games only.

I have, and sometimes it's fine, others it's not.
It's neat tech, I hope it still evolves a bit more.

Interestingly, for those on older sets vs say an oled, you can tolerate a bit more latency from the streaming if running on an oled or a fast response led vs an older TV. So that plays a part too.

jroc74

Started 5 years ago, not available till March 2024, pick one

Pick what's in the OP...?

"It’s understood that the development of Cronos began 5 years ago due to the complexity surrounding the PlayStation 5’s SSD. Whilst the SSD is very fast in the PS5, it created a new challenge that made it impossible for Sony to develop the infrastructure needed using current technology on the market (functionality, latency, etc.). This meant that Sony, under the Future Technology Group, designed a completely new network storage solution based on PCIe (NTB) which leverages NTB and the PS5 I/O co-processors.

The final product is a custom storage server under the codename ‘Kura’ which reads up to 5 GB/s with <1ms latency.

Sources said that Sony will have a total of 28 data centers across 15 metros for the PS5 Cloud streaming rollout, with its plans to fully launch the feature in FY23 (April 2023 – March 2024)."

I dont understand whats so controversial...lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom