• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony is now testing PSVR 2 support for PC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
Sony’s PlayStation VR2 headset is designed to work exclusively with a PS5, but the company is now testing out support for PC. While the original PSVR headset got unofficial support for PC, Sony now says it’s working on allowing PSVR 2 owners to connect the headset to a PC gaming rig.

“We’re pleased to share that we are currently testing the ability for PS VR2 players to access additional games on PC to offer even more game variety in addition to the PS VR2 titles available through PS5,” says Sony in a blog post today. “We hope to make this support available in 2024, so stay tuned for more updates.”

Up until now, Sony had been dodging questions about getting the PlayStation VR2 headset working on a PC. We asked Sony about PSVR 2 support for PC a year ago, but the company would only say “the PSVR2 is created for use with the PS5 console.” When we tested the headset on a PC last year, it was picked up as a second screen by Windows, but SteamVR didn’t recognize the headset.

Modders have been trying to get the PSVR 2 working on a PC ever since its launch, with iVRy attempting to reverse engineer the hardware. We’ve reached out to Sony to clarify exactly what “access additional games on PC” means and whether the support will be limited to certain games. We’ll update you accordingly.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
hmm perhaps this is the time i jump into psvr2 on PC for half life alex.

Pejo

Honestly the two biggest screwups for PSVR2 were not making it fully backwards compatible and not making it work on PC day 1. I remember reading that something with the displays would have made it tough to do universal backwards compatibility, but they should have tried something. If Sony was really serious about driving VR, they should have had some foresight that even existing PSVR owners wouldn't like having to rebuy the whole library or lose access to games that didn't update. As it was, it was nearly dead out of the gate. Just another piece of hardware that they didn't properly support and basically abandoned (like Vita).

Roxkis_ii

Hmm, I wonder how beefy of a PC you would need for this? I would say it coming official to PC does increase my interest in psvr 2. I always wanted to play Half life - Alex.

Ozriel

M$FT
Hmm, I wonder how beefy of a PC you would need for this? I would say it coming official to PC does increase my interest in psvr 2. I always wanted to play Half life - Alex.

you should be reasonably well sorted with anything rtx 2070 and above.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PSVR2 only came out a year ago. Looks like sales arent great so they are going after the PC crowd in VR stuff too. I dont think Sony has stated VR2 sales since launch.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
A smart step. It’s way too early to be pouring money into VR, the tech is simply not there and likely won’t be there for another 2-4 years, at best. Supporting PC will give early adopters more access to games and help sell more PSVR2 hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom