• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iVRy “Sony's latest firmware update enables PC access”

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Perhaps the update is coming sooner than we thought

Sony released a firmware update for PS VR2 that seems to have greatly increased compatibility with PCs. I can now use the PS VR2 on my AMD 6900xt's USB-C port with a stock Linux kernel and no EDID override. They also seem to have enabled the VR 90Hz mode that didn't work before.

I had thought their advertised "PC compatibility is coming" meant an Air/Steam Link style solution streaming to PS5, but perhaps they are targetting direct connections in some scenarios. If so, I don't know how they plan to solve the controller connectivity / pairing issues, or hardware compatibility issues with the headset only working on specific USB-C ports.

nemiroff

Gold Member
This would help more if it was there from the start. Either way it's a nice feature for existing PS5 owners to transition to PC *tongue-in-cheek*.

coastel

Yea I got one at launch and sold it not long after due to hardly fuck all I wanted to play and a few games just didn't have enough resolution.Think I'll get another when people have given there view on how it is on PC and hopefully ps5 pro will improve the ps5 games already out that are not on PC.

I don't know how they plan to solve the controller connectivity / pairing issues, or hardware compatibility issues with the headset only working on specific USB-C ports
PS5 controllers are Bluetooth, why would it be difficult to just unlock/create compatibility? It's not running on some proprietary shit, right? And even if they require a VR2 headset to work, that is getting compatibility, so that must be like the VR1 breakout box just some minor problem, an outsider can't solve easily but Sony themselves should.
But not all USB-C being the required USB-C will be fun for sure. I guess they will have to make some adapters that have HDMI and USB or DP+USB divided to make it compatible with more computers. Kinda like the free VR1 adapters we could claim for PS5. Even though I believe those PCs beefy enough for VR will more likely also have the fast enough USB port. So ultimately this shouldn't be a huge problem overall?

Bry0

Can’t wait to try Alyx on this with the oled panels. And f1. This is just super cool. I know a few people who said if it worked on both pc and ps5 they’d buy one. I think this move will help clear some of the overstock at the very least.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Sooner than we thought when the headset is pretty much have Xbox like sales is truly the Neogaf level of spin.

poodaddy

Can’t wait to try Alyx on this with the oled panels. And f1. This is just super cool. I know a few people who said if it worked on both pc and ps5 they’d buy one. I think this move will help clear some of the overstock at the very least.
I was one of those people, and I....think I still am? At this point now, a lot of people say the Quest 3 is better than PSVR2, but I don't know if I wanna support Meta as a company even if it is great. I don't love Sony as a company but I don't feel dirty paying them for quality products whereas paying Meta even a dime would me feel like an absolute jackass. I have my pride after all.

So yeah, I'll probably get one of these soon. Really wanna play RE4 Remake in VR and Half Life Alyx. I think Village is in VR on this as well right? I always wanted to play 7 in VR but I imagine it's not compatible with this, which is a mind numbingly stupid decision but I won't get into that. Yeah, good move by Sony here

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Of course Brad says "is Sony washing hands" and not that they're just looking to wring more money from every facet of every part of the business more so now than ever.

I mean they've stopped manufacturing them. It's not a stretch to make an educated guess that they're winding down the product.

Wonko_C

I was one of those people, and I....think I still am? At this point now, a lot of people say the Quest 3 is better than PSVR2, but I don't know if I wanna support Meta as a company even if it is great. I don't love Sony as a company but I don't feel dirty paying them for quality products whereas paying Meta even a dime would me feel like an absolute jackass. I have my pride after all.

So yeah, I'll probably get one of these soon. Really wanna play RE4 Remake in VR and Half Life Alyx. I think Village is in VR on this as well right? I always wanted to play 7 in VR but I imagine it's not compatible with this, which is a mind numbingly stupid decision but I won't get into that. Yeah, good move by Sony here
You can always mod the PC version of 7 for VR support, it even does motion controls except for manual reloading, naturally, but it's still a better experience than playing the PSVR1 version or just flat.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Of course Brad says "is Sony washing hands" and not that they're just looking to wring more money from every facet of every part of the business more so now than ever.

THIS! I totally don't understand his take here.

I have never understood the logic of those who imagined the support from Sony would involve some form of Steam Link support on the PS5 to stream PCVR games to console.

That…never made any sense.

Hate to call you out but this was almost entirely caused by thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best and for some reason extremely adamantly. As I said at the time that made no sense and was the least likely solution based on the blog and the hardware.

Everyone is saying PSVR2 is dead and maybe it is, but this could very well breathe life back into it. PC just has a much larger userbase than PS5 and the price of the PSVR2 is just too prohibitive.

A few more killer apps on PS5, PC Support, and a price drop, and you could very well see this starting selling.

It makes sense to stop production though, because you have plenty of inventory. If it starts selling well, you start to produce more, if not, you try again with PSVR3 which should be wireless, stand alone, and support PC from day 1.

Fake

Such a wasted opporunity not to have released full PC support right at launch. Back when Quest 3 did not exist.

Well, is modern Sony we are talking about. Mistakes after mistakes.

Lets see if whatever the new CEO they choise could fix those stupid choises.

Bry0

I have a Quest 3 and a PSVR2. While the quest 3 is overall slightly better for picture clarity and it has incredible lenses and wireless, PSVR2 has its own advantages with much better contrast and eye tracking capability, so I think both are pretty good.
Hate to call you out but this was almost entirely caused by thicc_girls_are_teh_best thicc_girls_are_teh_best and for some reason extremely adamantly. As I said at the time that made no sense and was the least likely solution based on the blog and the hardware.

Everyone is saying PSVR2 is dead and maybe it is, but this could very well breathe life back into it. PC just has a much larger userbase than PS5 and the price of the PSVR2 is just too prohibitive.

A few more killer apps on PS5, PC Support, and a price drop, and you could very well see this starting selling.

It makes sense to stop production though, because you have plenty of inventory. If it starts selling well, you start to produce more, if not, you try again with PSVR3 which should be wireless, stand alone, and support PC from day 1.
its just a coping mechanism, eventually reality will settle in. 😂

Last edited:
Well, is modern Sony we are talking about. Mistakes after mistakes.

Lets see if whatever the new CEO they choise could fix those stupid choises.

This is a massive oversimplification.

If PS5 sales were further along and the pandemic hadn't happened and the cost to produce the PSVR2 had been less (supply chain) a lot of things could have been different. That isn't even to mention the economic realities of VR in today's market. Even games like RE4 didn't have VR at launch.

We don't have a lot of details. We don't know whether the PSVR2 was sold for profit or not.

DrFigs

I see this as them giving up on it to move shipment from inventory. They're not making money on the headset itself.

Full PC compatibility will save PSVR2

um no, he's already dead
Yep, because PC support won’t help Sony empty those warehouses full of headsets. The PSVR2 may be dead on PS5 but it will be a viable option on PC considering it’s mostly superior to the Meta Quest 3.

I see this as them giving up on it to move shipment from inventory. They're not making money on the headset itself.

It's hard to believe given its price and lack of onboard processing that it could be more expensive than Quest 3 to produce unless Meta is taking a massive cut on Quest 3.

Ultimately, we'll have to see. I disagree with your assessment. I can't imagine Sony planned to sell this for 550 for its entire product lifecycle. We've yet to see a price cut. So I think what they're doing is seeing what kind of market they can have on PC, and then eventually they'll drop the price.

DrFigs

It's hard to believe given its price and lack of onboard processing that it could be more expensive than Quest 3 to produce unless Meta is taking a massive cut on Quest 3.

Ultimately, we'll have to see. I disagree with your assessment. I can't imagine Sony planned to sell this for 550 for its entire product lifecycle. We've yet to see a price cut. So I think what they're doing is seeing what kind of market they can have on PC, and then eventually they'll drop the price.
I suspect we haven't seen a price cut on it because its not very profitable. w/ Sony now, it's hard to know why they're doing the things they do. A lot of their moves are extremely shortsighted. But just assuming that they're breaking even on the headset and the majority of the profits come from the software, why would pc support benefit them? I think it would only benefit them if sales have completely cratered and they need to get rid of inventory in a way that doesn't involve a costly price cut.

But again it's modern sony, so maybe they just really like pc gamers now and don't care about profit anymore. hard to tell.

Last edited:
I suspect we haven't seen a price cut on it because its not very profitable. w/ Sony now, it's hard to know why they're doing the things they do. A lot of their moves are extremely shortsighted. But just assuming that they're breaking even on the headset and the majority of the profits come from the software, why would pc support benefit them? I think it would only benefit them if sales have completely cratered and they need to get rid of inventory in a way that doesn't involve a costly price cut.

But again it's modern sony, so maybe they just really like pc gamers now and don't care about profit anymore. hard to tell.

I think there are a multitude of reasons why you would want to sell headsets to the PC userbase.

• If someone buys a PSVR2 headset, they're significantly more likely to buy a PS5 if they don't already own one
  • If someone buys a PSVR2 headset, they're significantly more likely to buy a PSVR3 headset
  • If developers develop for the feature sets of the headset on existing PCVR games, they're significantly more likely to port said game to PS5
  • Developers are significantly more likely to want to develop a PSVR2 game on PS5 if they can easily port it to PC
    • It changes the economies of PSVR2 on PS5, which have likely been a problem
  • It further enhances their ability to create their own PC Storefront

I'd also love to hear how which moves have been shortsighted. The device has barely been on the market a year and has received no price cut. Again, there is no way Sony planned on this being 550 for its entire product lifecycle. The first headset got a price cut within its first year if I recall.

Ozriel

M$FT

I’m also surprised they aren’t including PSVR2 games in the Plus Extra or Premium games.

Bry0

What is a coping mechanism?
The idea that it would more likely be some sort of complicated PC streaming setup on ps5 instead of Sony just making a driver for psvr2 on pc. You are 100% correct that going with some locked down streaming solution always made less sense.

Last edited:

DrFigs

I think there are a multitude of reasons why you would want to sell headsets to the PC userbase.

• If someone buys a PSVR2 headset, they're significantly more likely to buy a PS5 if they don't already own one
  • If someone buys a PSVR2 headset, they're significantly more likely to buy a PSVR3 headset
  • If developers develop for the feature sets of the headset on existing PCVR games, they're significantly more likely to port said game to PS5
  • Developers are significantly more likely to want to develop a PSVR2 game on PS5 if they can easily port it to PC
    • It changes the economies of PSVR2 on PS5, which have likely been a problem
  • It further enhances their ability to create their own PC Storefront

I'd also love to hear how which moves have been shortsighted. The device has barely been on the market a year and has received no price cut. Again, there is no way Sony planned on this being 550 for its entire product lifecycle. The first headset got a price cut within its first year if I recall.
I'd love to get into it, but it's off topic :pie_pensive:
You'll see me in any of the dozen threads about playstation's pc ports probably

Svejk

Dropping the price of the PSVR2 will sell them shits, not allowing PC accessibility. PC users already have so many other options.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Plugging mine in now and the PC just tells me the USB isn't supplying the device with enough power.
It's not supposed to connect to a regular USB-C but an alternate mode usb-c output directly on the graphics card. A port on a select few AMD cards after Nvidia summarily executed it in the 3000 cards.

I’m also surprised they aren’t including PSVR2 games in the Plus Extra or Premium games.

Me too. I'm sure they will eventually, but I think doing so now with a smaller number of PSVR2 games would result in significantly weakened sales. Everyone would just wait for games on PS+.

XXL

Plugging mine in now and the PC just tells me the USB isn't supplying the device with enough power.
This is the issue that I want to know how they're going to solve to get PSVR2 working on PC.

Last edited:

Danknugz

the only benefit i see from this might be using the foveated rendering capabilities, but those aren't native to the hardware and as far as i understand would need to be implemented as a mod to any existing game, wouldnt just work out of the box.

Kilau

It's not supposed to connect to a regular USB-C but an alternate mode usb-c output directly on the graphics card. A port on a select few AMD cards after Nvidia summarily executed it in the 3000 cards.
It is a USB-C with Altmode, I use for Display port to my monitor every day. VirtualLink is what Nivida dropped and I don't see how Sony can do this on PC without an adapter for users like me.

Minsc

Gold Member
I was also heavily in the side of streaming/direct ethernet access, but I did see this would be a possible solution down the road a bit.

Still, as the tweet says, this is NOT just grab the PSVR2 right now and have a plug and play experience. Majority of PCs cannot power the PSVR2 over USB-C properly, so you will very likely need to buy a dongle first, before this works. A similar discontinued BizLink display port type dongle costs $150, and while this one may likely be a lot less, there's a chance it may be more than people would like, even if it were $70, just to connect to a PC seems a bit pricey when you start adding it all up if you don't own anything vs the competition.

Top Bottom