• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

MrFunSocks

Banned
People are ridiculous in some ways. How hard is it to look up "recommended NVME ps5" and find a link from IGN or even Tom's Hardware to find a link like this:

Next, how hard is it to find a video on how to install it with or without a heatsink and how to put a heatsink on the drive, if you don't have one pre-attached, on Youtube with a search like to find a video like this one (which also shows you how to clean the PS5 inside):

(I searched "how to install an m.2 ssd in ps5 with heat sink" and set the search to the last 24 hours)

In the comments, he includes which Heatsink he bought on Amazon:

OK, so, what if you don't have a screwdriver?? Sony said you need a #1 crosshead? I searched "M.2 drive screwdriver kit":

Which, on my screen, also, shows items frequently bought together to be this kit, a 2280 NVME (happens to be a Samsung 980), and the heatsink the guy in the how to video bought.

I don't really think it's overly complicated. It's not XSX hot-swap card easy, but I mean, people make way over-exaggerate how hard it is to get the info and use it IMO.

No reason why everyone doesn’t just make their own high powered gaming pc then, easy to find videos and tutorial, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t just service their own cars, easy to find tutorials and equipment, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t build their own homes, easy to find tutorials right?

You’re overestimating not the capability but the willingness of average people to do these things.

Topher

Gold Member
No reason why everyone doesn’t just make their own high powered gaming pc then, easy to find videos and tutorial, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t just service their own cars, easy to find tutorials and equipment, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t build their own homes, easy to find tutorials right?

You’re overestimating not the capability but the willingness of average people to do these things.

People are not going to upgrade their SSD in their PS5 because..........they don't want to build their own homes?

Confused Hanna Barbera GIF by Warner Archive

Seriously though.....those examples are extreme.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member

Chris Pratt What GIF

ReBurn

Gold Member
So got the m2 drive in..only issue is the ps5 does not have a mounting screw (mine didn’t at least) so it’s in there without one but managed to fit the 980 pro in with a single heatsink and it’s pretty snug without much airflow around from what I can see

redownloaded a few games like ratchet/Spider-Man and copied returnal across and installation wise noticed no difference in speed….copying is actually pretty quick

gameplay wise I also noticed no issues and could not tell any real difference from the internal drive….shit loads in exactly the same so that’s a tick….I got a few crashes on Spider-Man /wreckfest but I think that wasn’t related to the drive

noise wise it’s the first time I actually noticed the ps5 was on….the cover on the side felt hot to touch and u could tell the fan ramped up after about 2 hours but it wasn’t ps4 level yet so that’s a tick

only negative I will say is that the coil whine appears to of gotten worse with the update …it’s probably because it’s drawing more power but headphones are definitely a must if you hate annoying buzzing noises like I do

so I’m short….games run fine…fan not too bad…console slightly hot but coil whine worse
Great feedback. Thanks!

MrFunSocks

Banned
People are not going to upgrade their SSD in their PS5 because..........they don't want to build their own homes?

You missed the point.

Most things are simple to do with tutorials and videos and the right tools, but that doesn’t mean average Joe will ever even consider doing it.

That’s why im glad Sony built in a battery inside the DualSense. I’m not sure some people can manage to change the battery themselves. It’s as complicated as rocket surgery. Lmao

Maybe it's complicated for MrFunSocks MrFunSocks but I'm sure your average consumer won't have any issues installing it. It's not like you have to completely tear about the console to install it.

Cooling for M2 droves isn't a simple one size fits all thing.
V1fDjvR.jpg

This is a photo I grabbed online and not of a particular model, it just illustrates what I want to mention.
In this version the SandForce chip is the Controller which I suppose you could think of as sort of a basic CPU in your computer while the Toshiba chips are the actually memory where the data is stored. Much like CPU in a computer if the Controller becomes too hot to function fully then it will throttle what performance.
The memory chips themselves actually benefit from running hot and running them at an overly cold temperature can pretty seriously affect how long they're able to hold data for. Adding an inappropriate heat sink that cools the wrong part of your SSD can have pretty large negative affect on how long your SSD will survive. Of course, the layout of different SSDs can vary a great deal so a heat sink that benefits one SSD may have the opposite effect on another.
Also, I can actually imagine that many of the heat sinks that are available will probably do nothing good or bad to the temperature inside your system and this applies to any system that you're adding one of these SSDs too.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Maybe it's complicated for MrFunSocks MrFunSocks but I'm sure your average consumer won't have any issues installing it. It's not like you have to completely tear about the console to install it.
Let's be real. This is not going to be an easy process for the average consumer. Even knowing what to buy is going to be a challenge for a lot of people. Everyone I know added external USB 3.0 drives to PS4 over changing the internal drive. The only reason I changed my PS4 hard drive is because it died.

If someone releases a product that's complete for this specific purpose it will be easy. But if people have to measure heatsinks and get a certain size and speed drive and put it all together they're gonna screw it up. It's no harder than a PC upgrade but a lot of people can't do that either.

Tschumi

That moment you realise that their tiny game files mean that this expansion is more elective than you expected it would be

Keanu Reeves GIF

Last edited:
Let's be real. This is not going to be an easy process for the average consumer. Even knowing what to buy is going to be a challenge for a lot of people. Everyone I know added external USB 3.0 drives to PS4 over changing the internal drive. The only reason I changed my PS4 hard drive is because it died.

If someone releases a product that's complete for this specific purpose it will be easy. But if people have to measure heatsinks and get a certain size and speed drive and put it all together they're gonna screw it up. It's no harder than a PC upgrade but a lot of people can't do that either.

Can't consumers just choose from a list of compatible drives? That's probably how most people are going to do it. Not to mention there will be products that will system that they are compatible with the console. Plus I wouldn't be surprised if your normal gaming store sells the drives as well.

I other words it's going to be a lot easier than building a house.

There is a lot of info out there on the higher end tech sites, I've just found this Gamers Nexus video where somebody asks about SSD degradation and the cover how running the memory chips at too low a temperature can pretty seriously affect how long they'll survive.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Tim Allen Power Tool GIF

How did we arrive to installing the SSD is as complicated as building a house?

:messenger_fearful:

My god, I seriously have to wonder about people like you. Are you being intentionally ignorant, or do you legitimately not understand and comprehend basic things?

the house example seems to have completely flown over your head. It is an example of how everything is “simple” if you know how to do it and are prepared to research and attempt it. It is deliberately an extreme example to highlight the absurdity of what you are saying.

Your average “Gamer” isn’t going to do the required research and work to do this, just like they don’t just do the research and build their own PC, which is equally simple when you know what you’re doing.

Last edited:

On Demand

Banned
You overdramatic fanboys making a big deal about adding storage to PS5 sound dumb as fuck. It’s not as if PS3 and PS4 never had user replaceable hard drives. Not one complaint. It’s also sad xbox proprietary expensive drive is being praised as the better solution. Non proprietary storage with many choices is always the best way to go. It’s cheaper overall too.

Everything must be scrutinized and dramatized these days.

Last edited:

Elias

You overdramatic fanboys making a big deal about adding storage to PS5 sound dumb as fuck. It’s not as if PS3 and PS4 never had user replaceable hard drives. Not one complaint. It’s also sad xbox proprietary expensive drive is being praised as the better solution. Non proprietary storage with many choices is always the best way to go. It’s cheaper overall too.

Everything must be scrutinized and dramatized these days.
hot swappability and ease of use >>>>>>>>>

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Cooling for M2 droves isn't a simple one size fits all thing.
V1fDjvR.jpg

This is a photo I grabbed online and not of a particular model, it just illustrates what I want to mention.
In this version the SandForce chip is the Controller which I suppose you could think of as sort of a basic CPU in your computer while the Toshiba chips are the actually memory where the data is stored. Much like CPU in a computer if the Controller becomes too hot to function fully then it will throttle what performance.
The memory chips themselves actually benefit from running hot and running them at an overly cold temperature can pretty seriously affect how long they're able to hold data for. Adding an inappropriate heat sink that cools the wrong part of your SSD can have pretty large negative affect on how long your SSD will survive. Of course, the layout of different SSDs can vary a great deal so a heat sink that benefits one SSD may have the opposite effect on another.
Also, I can actually imagine that many of the heat sinks that are available will probably do nothing good or bad to the temperature inside your system and this applies to any system that you're adding one of these SSDs too.

Yup, I read about that before. It's better to buy NVMe's with OEM heatsinks because they've been through tests and all. Also this confirms that probably all games would work properly:

image.png

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
For those debating on how much the “average consumer” is willing to do, going to fake extremes about building a house… etc. they do realize that companies like IKEA exist relying on just how much building and instruction average consumers are willing to do. Does that make them architects? No. But, this is a company, doing quite well mind you, on the very same concept. Wand a desk? OK, we’ll give you parts and instructions.. build it and get this product result in the end.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Seems like those are "everyone" according to this intelligent guy:

2gnfgm.jpg

As if we won't see many with PS5 badge certification in game stores if everyone was like these gentlemen.

Last edited:

MarkMe2525

Lmao, 5GB/s... You wish, pal!

Just like you wish Series S didn't exist. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
PztRLzd.jpg

Look at the speed when running Series SSD through crystal disk mark. It's not even 2 GB/s.
Just pointing out that if you put a pci 4x2 drive in a pci 3 mother board then the speeds would be slower. I could be wrong and the youtuber is using proper motherboard but I cannot tell.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

For those people do it the easy way. You take your PS5 to the game shop and they'll install it for you and set it up as well, same was with the internal in PS4. Also the shopkeeper will suggest the best for you as well. THAT's how the average consumer is doing it.

Your average consumer can barely put an IKEA chair together and that comes with tools and instructions.

This is just a mess. Microsoft did the right thing.

It's even easier than making a chair. And I mean a lot easier. Plus the lower prices will only be good for consumers.

My guess is that there will be plenty of options for consumers once the update officially releases. Not to mention the prices will go down overtime as the drives age and newer technology comes out. It's one of the reasons why I liked the 3DS over the Vita.

It's even easier than making a chair. And I mean a lot easier. Plus the lower prices will only be good for consumers.

My guess is that there will be plenty of options for consumers once the update officially releases. Not to mention the prices will go down overtime as the drives age and newer technology comes out. It's one of the reasons why I liked the 3DS over the Vita.

Yeah having options is great but Sony really should've released their own branded solution to this on day one.

Yeah having options is great but Sony really should've released their own branded solution to this on day one.

It wasn't ready at launch for whatever reason. Now you'll have access to it in a couple of months instead of a couple of years.

There's no need for an expensive proprietary solution when you have the PC market to choose from. Like I said consumers will benefit from this.

kyliethicc

Your average consumer can barely put an IKEA chair together and that comes with tools and instructions.

This is just a mess. Microsoft did the right thing.
The average idiot you're so concerned for doesn't need more than the 825 GB SSD and a cheap 1 TB USB HDD.

Most casual console users play like 2-3 games a month. Usually COD/FIFA/NBA etc. Shockingly, most people are not yet foaming at the mouth to spend hundreds on more storage for their game console. They can struggle by with the idiot friendly technique of installing and uninstalling .. maybe learn to also use external storage... or some may even someday adapt and overcome the massive obstacles and learn to install an internal drive... like I did with my PS3... when I was 12.

Thoughts and prayers for the brave retards soon to face the screwdriver and 5 minutes of thought that lies ahead of them, if they dare.

sad the lord of the rings GIF

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It wasn't ready at launch for whatever reason. Now you'll have access to it in a couple of months instead of a couple of years.

There's no need for an expensive proprietary solution when you have the PC market to choose from. Like I said consumers will benefit from this.

If I ever consider buying extra storage for PS5 I would make the main SSD for 1st party exclusives to PS5 just in case and the external for 3rd party. Easy to move them around.

twilo99

That is correct.

Its really strange that the PS5 doesn't come with some sort of built in cooling solution for it's expandable storage, or perhaps even better it would be if it was designed to not need SSD cooling at all, like most PCs out there.

This is a bit messy.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
The average idiot you're so concerned for doesn't need more than the 825 GB SSD and a cheap 1 TB USB HDD.

Most casual console users play like 2-3 games a month. Usually COD/FIFA/NBA etc.

Shockingly, most people are not yet foaming at the mouth to spend hundreds on more storage for their game console.

They can struggle by with the idiot friendly technique of installing and uninstalling .. maybe learn to also use external storage...

... or some may even someday adapt and overcome the massive obstacles and learn to install an internal drive... like I did with my PS3... when I was 12.

Thoughts and prayers for the brave retards soon to face the screwdriver and 5 minutes of thought that lies ahead of them, if they dare.

sad the lord of the rings GIF

It'll be funny to see the top tier 7GB/s 4TB NVMe m.2 be cheaper than that low tier 1TB expansion 2-3 years from now. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Jigga117

People have a hard time troubleshooting their cable box is on the wrong HDMI port and wait for a tech to arrive to point the shit out.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Its hilarious how so many on GAF love to talk shit about cucks and soyboys but here you got a bunch of dudes that are complaining its too hard to take the cover off a PS5 and install a SSD lol.
Nobody in this thread thinks it’s too hard for them. Being easy for an “enthusiast” in a gaming forum and being easy for someone that doesn’t even know there are different types of hard drives are 2 completely separate things.

This is just another example of forums like this being a bubble that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world. Most people don’t jizz their pants over buzzwords like tempest and VRR and IO and velocity architecture. Most people buy a console because it’s plug and play, nothing else to do. They don’t build their own pc master race gaming pcs even though it’s “easy” and there are videos and tutorials everywhere. Some of you are delusional tbh.

Darklor01

Nobody in this thread thinks it’s too hard for them. Being easy for an “enthusiast” in a gaming forum and being easy for someone that doesn’t even know there are different types of hard drives are 2 completely separate things.

This is just another example of forums like this being a bubble that’s completely out of touch with the rest of the gaming world. Most people don’t jizz their pants over buzzwords like tempest and VRR and IO and velocity architecture. Most people buy a console because it’s plug and play, nothing else to do. They don’t build their own pc master race gaming pcs even though it’s “easy” and there are videos and tutorials everywhere. Some of you are delusional tbh.
There are some people that technology isn’t made for. There are ways around that. Pay Best Buy to install it. They’ll do it for a fee… have a knowledgeable friend do it… etc.

There are some that can do it because tech is easy for them.

There are some willing to learn and can use online tools to figure it out and do it.

I refuse to buy into the concept that it can be proven this is too hard for the average gaming consumer just as much as you refuse to buy into the opposite concept.

In the end, that’s Sony’s issue or non-issue, not mine. I can use a screwdriver and install one of these things just fine. I’ll be happy to share info and help any people I know that need it. Outside of that, why should I care about whether gaming company _____ did or didn’t incorporate a design better or worse than another company. That’s just console warrior bullshit that I will not play into.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
There are some people that technology isn’t made for. There are ways around that. Pay Best Buy to install it. They’ll do it for a fee… have a knowledgeable friend do it… etc.

There are some that can do it because tech is easy for them.

There are some willing to learn and can use online tools to figure it out and do it.

I refuse to buy into the concept that it can be proven this is too hard for the average gaming consumer just as much as you refuse to buy into the opposite concept.

In the end, that’s Sony’s issue or non-issue, not mine. I can use a screwdriver and install one of these things just fine. I’ll be happy to share info and help any people I know that need it. Outside of that, why should I care about whether gaming company _____ did or didn’t incorporate a design better or worse than another company. That’s just console warrior bullshit that I will not play into.
So we’re in agreement then, because this is what I’m saying.

Lots will have no problem doing it.

Lots will get someone else to do it.

Lots will figure it out eventually.

The large majority, however, will not touch it with a 10 foot pole.

I’m not in any way attacking Sony like old mate topher and co think I am.

Last edited:

Darklor01

I agree with everything but the 10 foot pole bit. The gross majority will need expansion and get it. Whether they do it, or someone else does it for them.

I don’t think you’re attacking Sony. I don’t think they think you are either. I think that you might be thinking this is too complex for the now average consumer of current consoles and that I don’t agree about that complexity. That’s OK. We don’t need to agree, and I won’t think that’s a bad thing. That’s what discussions like these are about.

It boils down to need. If there is a need, like you wrote:

Lots will figure it out eventually.”

And I’ll add, some will work with what they get out of the box if they own the console or decide to buy it.

Topher

Gold Member

Who said anything about you attacking Sony?

shame no GIF by Cartoon Hangover

Topher

Gold Member

I will agree with that much though. Not because it is too hard, but because most won't need all that extra space. The "large majority" will not need to have a bunch of games installed at one time. I game a lot and I seriously doubt I'll buy a SSD for my PS5.

Bro....it is just a fun, lively debate.....with a bit of teasing, I'll admit. But all in good spirits in my mind.

Sheep Thumbs GIF

Top Bottom