• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony open up M2 SSD port to beta testers of system software

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I tech support various levels of IT for a major product manufacturer to internal clients (Workers in the field). I tell have to say that from novice to expert we all start somewhere and with a bit of information and patience.

Someone once showed me how to build a PC back in the days of Pentium and Pentoum II computers. All of us too started somewhere.

I truly think with good instructions and the will/desire to do it, casuals can install an NVME. Along with installing RAM, it’s not all that difficult or complex.

If it’s beneath someone to bother to learn, they can pay someone or a business to do it if there is a need. This isn’t some mess with exception to those that choose to blindly half ass the research and installation. That’s on them for not trying to do it the right way.

I don’t blame Sony for issues arising from choosing this method of storage expansion.

TLZ

Banned
No reason why everyone doesn’t just make their own high powered gaming pc then, easy to find videos and tutorial, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t just service their own cars, easy to find tutorials and equipment, right? No reason why everyone doesn’t build their own homes, easy to find tutorials right?

You’re overestimating not the capability but the willingness of average people to do these things.
Your examples are way too extreme they're not even comparable. You're way exaggerating just taking a lid off and screwing one screw.

I can't imagine one human being not able to take a lid off anything. I also can't imagine one human being not able to screw in one screw.

If that's how you see it then life must be way too hard for you man.

You're also making out casuals like they're stupid people in general. They're casual gamers. Soccer moms and grandmas are still very capable people in society and get many complicated things accomplished.

And you're underestimating kids too. It's just a lid and a screw fgs 🤣 They also have parents/guardians you know.

Who do you think unscrews, takes off the lid, puts batteries, rescrews kids toys?

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Really don't care about casuals.. Sony would have designed a proprietary if they thought there was real money in it.. there probably really isn't that many folks into spending a $100-200 to expand their console storage in the first place.

And those who care, will figure it out. It's really not that hard lol

According to the SDF people can't even differentiate Xbox consoles, and you think normal people are going to not have issues with storage expansion for the PS5?

Really?
Well it's possible as I do agree there are idiots everywhere you most likely can take your ps5 in to a store where you bought the memory and have them install it. Its 2 freeking screws.

I dont remember any of this talk long ago when people swapped in hard drives in ps3's and ps4's. That was much more difficult.

Well it's possible as I do agree there are idiots everywhere you most likely can take your ps5 in to a store where you bought the memory and have them install it. Its 2 freeking screws.

I dont remember any of this talk long ago when people swapped in hard drives in ps3's and ps4's. That was much more difficult.
All you needed was a mechanical drive or a laptop drive, there weren't specific ones you had to use. That's a lot different than this stringent specification target you need to stick to that people won't know anything about.

All you needed was a mechanical drive or a laptop drive, there weren't specific ones you had to use. That's a lot different than this stringent specification target you need to stick to that people won't know anything about.
Well if people buy the wrong memory and dont check out Sony's list thats on them. It's the same rule for buying memory for anything else.

You can only do your best to limit stupid, you can't eliminate it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not picking out the right spec drive and heat syncs... don't underestimate the power of the casuals to fuck this up.
I don't think it's a casual vs hardcore thing. Lots of people who play video games casually build and maintain modern PC's for reasons other than playing video games. Those people would not struggle with this even though they are casual gamers. At the same time there are people who play games on their consoles for 8 hours a day (who would call themselves hardcore gamers) that would struggle to find the right drive because they don't know the difference between PCIE 3.0 and PCIE 4.0, much less number of lanes, etc. The last thing I would assume is that being a hardcore gamer makes someone smarter than someone who spends their time doing other things.

VAVA Mk2

I don't think it's a casual vs hardcore thing. Lots of people who play video games casually build and maintain modern PC's for reasons other than playing video games. Those people would not struggle with this even though they are casual gamers. At the same time there are people who play games on their consoles for 8 hours a day (who would call themselves hardcore gamers) that would struggle to find the right drive because they don't know the difference between PCIE 3.0 and PCIE 4.0, much less number of lanes, etc. The last thing I would assume is that being a hardcore gamer makes someone smarter than someone who spends their time doing other things.
I'm thinking parents that don't know or don't care trying to do this for their family PS5.

Mr Moose

Really? BRB going to put a 3.5" HDD into my PS3 and PS4.
The max official size on PS3 was something like 1TB.
Had to be no larger than 2.5" 9.5mm.
There was also a screw.

Really? BRB going to put a 3.5" HDD into my PS3 and PS4.
The max official size on PS3 was something like 1TB.
Had to be no larger than 2.5" 9.5mm.
There was also a screw.
I think you know what he meant, no you cant just stick a larger physical size hdd in there.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think you know what he meant, no you cant just stick a larger physical size hdd in there.
I just put a 2.5" 9.5mm IDE drive in, now my PS3 is on fire, I'll never trust a word he says again :messenger_crying:

It's sort of like the same thing here, but that's why there's a beta.
Seagate have said theirs works and I think a few other manufacturers have, as long as people pay attention it won't be a problem.

Last edited:

truth411

This is not true. You also had to have the most updated firmware on a USB drive with the proper named file or it wouldn't work. That was harder than whats required now which is just buy a fast M.2. SSD thats around 7000MBs. No firmware needed, just pop in the drive.

TLZ

Banned
5ef7909e-0429-4ee3-8016-53322e314383.__CR38,0,1124,695_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

expand-Ps5-storage-M.jpg

HQdR8ph.jpg

3tzTbMX.jpg

PS5-NVMe-Data-Upgrade.jpg
Congratulations.

You have qualified to build a house.

MrFunSocks

Banned
Your examples are way too extreme they're not even comparable. You're way exaggerating just taking a lid off and screwing one screw.

I can't imagine one human being not able to take a lid off anything. I also can't imagine one human being not able to screw in one screw.

If that's how you see it then life must be way too hard for you man.

You're also making out casuals like they're stupid people in general. They're casual gamers. Soccer moms and grandmas are still very capable people in society and get many complicated things accomplished.

And you're underestimating kids too. It's just a lid and a screw fgs 🤣 They also have parents/guardians you know.

Who do you think unscrews, takes off the lid, puts batteries, rescrews kids toys?
Sigh.............

I swear some people are being intentionally ignorant, or just have almost zero conversational skills. I've explained it a million times already, but I'll do it again just for you.

Things are easy for people that know how to do them. If you know how to replace a SSD, it's easy. If you don't, even though it's a straight forward process (well once you've figured out which SSD will actually work), it's still going to be daunting to some people. If you've ever had any sort of experience dealing with tech support you'd understand this. The average console buyer will not attempt to do it, even though it's "easy". They don't know what they're doing, so it's not easy to them. Just like a builder thinks building a house is "easy", that doesn't make it so for someone that doesn't know how to build a house. Physics is easy to some people, doesn't mean they can just say "just watch a video" and now you know physics.

I go back to my examples - servicing a car. Super simple once you know what you're doing. Changing the oil is unscrewing a plug, draining, and putting new oil in. Does that mean that every single person that buys a car will automatically do that themselves if you just tell them to "watch a video"? No, and anyone that thinks they will is just dumb.

Again - I don't think it's hard. I could and would do it without a second thought. The overwhelmingly large majority will not attempt it themselves. Fact.

I wonder if write speed makes a difference. Im almost ready to pull the trigger on a 500GB WD SN850 as I only want a little boost, Im fine swapping off the external.

The 1T has 7000-read 5300 write
The 500GB has 7000-read 4100 write

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Amazon sent this bad boy fast as in next day fast!
gRcvoDx.jpg

Here is a comparison pic with my XSX nvme drive...

qETEPTE.jpg

Luving those specs!

RSsDyGV.jpg
Darn, that is better than the WD one specs wise and installs very cleanly too. On the other side higher sequential writes matters a bit less with PS5 for games as you mostly only load from the SSD (still faster installs and game copies). Why did KnackDaddy not go with it lol?

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I wonder if write speed makes a difference. Im almost ready to pull the trigger on a 500GB WD SN850 as I only want a little boost, Im fine swapping off the external.

The 1T has 7000-read 5300 write
The 500GB has 7000-read 4100 write
I think for most scenarios, like game instals might take just a tad longer, read speed is all that matters.I see the priority levels issue also raising its head for reads rather than writes so both drives have good near internal drive specs write speed to work well.

The SRAM cache in the I/O Processor complex and the DRAM added to the SSD controller (where the external SSD hooks into as well) should help guarantee writes and reads to be batched and reordered to max throughput. Trust the KnackDaddy ;).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Sigh.............

I swear some people are being intentionally ignorant, or just have almost zero conversational skills. I've explained it a million times already, but I'll do it again just for you.

Things are easy for people that know how to do them. If you know how to replace a SSD, it's easy. If you don't, even though it's a straight forward process (well once you've figured out which SSD will actually work), it's still going to be daunting to some people. If you've ever had any sort of experience dealing with tech support you'd understand this. The average console buyer will not attempt to do it, even though it's "easy". They don't know what they're doing, so it's not easy to them. Just like a builder thinks building a house is "easy", that doesn't make it so for someone that doesn't know how to build a house. Physics is easy to some people, doesn't mean they can just say "just watch a video" and now you know physics.

I go back to my examples - servicing a car. Super simple once you know what you're doing. Changing the oil is unscrewing a plug, draining, and putting new oil in. Does that mean that every single person that buys a car will automatically do that themselves if you just tell them to "watch a video"? No, and anyone that thinks they will is just dumb.

Again - I don't think it's hard. I could and would do it without a second thought. The overwhelmingly large majority will not attempt it themselves. Fact.
I know a few people who wont attempt this

I don't care how easy it is for those of us here on forums and its pretty silly for people to not understand that some people just do not want to crack open their console.

cormack12

Gold Member
I think everyone is focusing on the wrong stuff here. If you're getting an external drive it's not likely you're going to be able to read through all that and then stumble on the fitting of the drive. Necessity is the bigger driver, like all those people who suddenly can fix their own phone screens rather than pay £300

It's much more likely the issue is someone asking their mum, nan or relative to pick up a compatible drive from a store and they get it wrong, or buy an underspecced one - especially when relying on staff at PCWorld etc. Imagine asking your mum/dad to pick you up:

A PCIe Gen4 x4 M.2 NVMe SSD, 5,500MB/s min, 2230, 2242, 2260, 2280 or 22110 form factor no bigger than Xmm and a compatible heatsink.

That's not going to end well in a lot of cases. Having said that, there's click and collect, getting off your own arse etc. But it's obviously not as easy as saying to your mum/dad/nan get us an Seagate SSD expansion card for the XSX. That's just the simple truth.

Smoke6

According to the SDF people can't even differentiate Xbox consoles, and you think normal people are going to not have issues with storage expansion for the PS5?

Really?
Man now you’re comparing a series of consoles that launched within a year or so of each other carrying the same damn name with a different letter to putting in a damn SSD in a console that more than likely will have several video tutorials!

damn man can this console warring crap just stop sheesh! Even Amazon proved you wrong this past launch and holiday and the ONEX sold out in confusion for the series X

Darklor01

I know a few people who wont attempt this

I don't care how easy it is for those of us here on forums and its pretty silly for people to not understand that some people just do not want to crack open their console.
While that's true, even for those people, there are options if they elect to use them. Company's like Best Buy will install it for a fee. Some may have friends and/or family that could potentially install it...etc. There are options out there even for those people.

As I've been saying as well, there will indeed be a segment of people that won't do it for their own reasons, which could include, just can't/won't be bothered with it. I think for those people, they'll either learn to play one game at a time and beat it, or live with the limited # of drive installs possibly using something like the external storage as needed for games they're not actively playing. These people are out there, but personally, I believe they are becoming fewer and fewer.

For older folk around my age group and older, there are quite a few that may fall into this category. For younger folk, they're around tech more and more gen by gen. I have to believe that inherently being around tech, it's just part of things now. This view, however, is possibly a bit skewed. There could be a financial factor that I'm not considering in which people who can't afford this tech or add-ons for this tech may be exceptions. I'm perhaps not realizing just how wide-spread that populous may be. Perhaps I'm just more fortunate than I realize.

I try to keep an open mind about these things.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
While that's true, even for those people, there are options if they elect to use them. Company's like Best Buy will install it for a fee. Some may have friends and/or family that could potentially install it...etc. There are options out there even for those people.

As I've been saying as well, there will indeed be a segment of people that won't do it for their own reasons, which could include, just can't/won't be bothered with it. I think for those people, they'll either learn to play one game at a time and beat it, or live with the limited # of drive installs possibly using something like the external storage as needed for games they're not actively playing. These people are out there, but personally, I believe they are becoming fewer and fewer.

For older folk around my age group and older, there are quite a few that may fall into this category. For younger folk, they're around tech more and more gen by gen. I have to believe that inherently being around tech, it's just part of things now. This view, however, is possibly a bit skewed. There could be a financial factor that I'm not considering in which people who can't afford this tech or add-ons for this tech may be exceptions. I'm perhaps not realizing just how wide-spread that populous may be. Perhaps I'm just more fortunate than I realize.

I try to keep an open mind about these things.

For one you nailed my 31 year old son who simply doesnt have the time in his busy life of running Coke a Cola warehouses to mess with this.

When he gets a little time carved out to finally sit down and game he doesnt want to be looking around to find a drive and heatsink that fit, he wants to play.

Now he would 100% take it somewhere and pay to have it done if he needed.

I have seen some call people like this lazy and my son is the hardest working person I know.

Its just not a perfect SSD solution for people that have never owned a gaming PC and buy consoles to NOT do this very thing people are asked to do if they want extra storage.

I don't get why people can't understand why someone who has never done this before would feel slightly intimidated in doing it.

But it's obviously not as easy as saying to your mum/dad/nan get us an Seagate SSD expansion card for the XSX. That's just the simple truth.

Agreed but having it be a little bit more complicated gives a lot of benefits. And I wouldn't swap those for an extremely convenient solution. To me having a ton of choices and potentially lower prices and higher speeds is what I want. Others may just want a plug and play solution but I'm not paying a tax for that.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Last edited:

Md Ray

Wasn't there some channel requirement or something? or was that pure bullshit?
Wasn't bullshit.

Sony's drive with its custom flash controller supports six priority levels, the M.2 SSD supports only two so in this case, the extra priorities have to be arbitrated by the custom I/O unit (found in the main SoC) rather than the M.2's flash controller. This is why the M.2 needs "a little extra speed" than Sony's drive according to Cerny. A little extra speed doesn't mean it needs to be 7 GB/s though... For all we know, it could require only a couple of hundred MB/s faster drive than Sony's to mitigate any issue that might occur from this approach.

Darklor01

For one you nailed my 31 year old son who simply doesnt have the time in his busy life of running Coke a Cola warehouses to mess with this.

When he gets a little time carved out to finally sit down and game he doesnt want to be looking around to find a drive and heatsink that fit, he wants to play.

Now he would 100% take it somewhere and pay to have it done if he needed.

I have seen some call people like this lazy and my son is the hardest working person I know.

Its just not a perfect SSD solution for people that have never owned a gaming PC and buy consoles to NOT do this very thing people are asked to do if they want extra storage.

I don't get why people can't understand why someone who has never done this before would feel slightly intimidated in doing it.
I can only understand the intimidation part of this by thinking about things I'd be intimidated to try. For me, that's something like electrical work, or trying to put up waterproofing and such for a tub shower surround wall..etc. I can also understand a bit of concern about potentially improperly installing a chip and bricking either the system or the chip regardless of whether that would actually happen to either. Financially, to me, that's $750ish+ (depending on which version of the console and which chip you go with) down the drain. I can see that perspective too.

I think that it's not difficult to install or learn to do, and I do think that getting one and installing it is something people can easily do with some instruction outside of what we're talking about in the last few posts I've made. I do think that having one installed for them is a perfectly good solution to the issue... for those that want a solution to a storage issue or need one.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
Agreed but having it be a little bit more complicated gives a lot of benefits. And I wouldn't swap those for an extremely convenient solution. To me having a ton of choices and potentially lower prices and higher speeds is what I want. Others may just want a plug and play solution but I'm not paying a tax for that.

Pretty sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

True, but then I'm one of those people who will watch a youtube video and try stuff plus I have lots of years building PCs etc. But people still use apple devices in this day and age

GrizzledInexperiencedBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
Surely you don’t put the metal plate back on after installing the SSD? All the heat will go into that?

Darklor01

Surely you don’t put the metal plate back on after installing the SSD? All the heat will go into that?
The metal cover? Yeah. you definitely do.

Step 10 within the "How to add an M.2 SSD to a PS5 console" section of the page's drop down instruction set.

True, but then I'm one of those people who will watch a youtube video and try stuff plus I have lots of years building PCs etc. But people still use apple devices in this day and age

GrizzledInexperiencedBlacklemur-max-1mb.gif

It's even more simple than building a PC. All you have to do is plug the drive in and there's plenty of really good videos on how to do that.

Now are there people incapable of doing that?

For sure.

Do they represent the great majority?

Heck no.

Nitty_Grimes

Made a crappy phPBB forum once ... once.
The metal cover? Yeah. you definitely do.

Step 10 within the "How to add an M.2 SSD to a PS5 console" section of the page's drop down instruction set.
Oh yeah - suppose if you left the metal cover off it could melt the plastic case of the PS5 if it got hot? But then wouldn’t the heat from the heat sink go into the metal plate and there’s nowhere for the heat to escape from?

Last edited:

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
I have a feeling this is gonna be a mess for casuals.

My bet is there gonna be Playstation branded M2 SSDs on the market soon so Mrs Sixpack can safely buy extra storage for Joe Jr.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I don't know why you think this.. additional heat is additional heat. It will heat the air being pulled into the system unless the SSD is lower than room temperature, which it surely isn't.

The only thing Sony would have "well calculated" is that it's all still reasonable under most conditions with most drives... but more heat will in some scenarios almost certainly increase the need for cooling.

Again, same as the hot vs cold room.

Not sure why you're assuming that it'll heat the air being pulled when it has nothing to do with air pulled? Have you checked how air moves around it? It feeds from the air after being pulled from the main fan through small holes and it's not some kind of heater to affect its surroundings. Let's just give this thought a rest until results are shown.

Last edited:

Darklor01

Oh yeah - suppose if you left the metal cover off it could melt the plastic case of the PS5 if it got hot? But then wouldn’t the heat from the heat sink go into the metal plate and there’s nowhere for the heat to escape from?
Nah. First, it wouldn't melt the plastic. Not only because it just wouldn't in general, but the plastic isn't making contact with the heat sink. The second reason is that heat sinks are designed with spacing to allow for air flow through the heat sink. They aren't solid bricks.

Not all are designed the exact same, but take the MHQJRH M.2 2280 SSD double sided heatsink for example:
51tXCRhCKAL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

This allows for the air to flow through the block and let the heat drawn away from the chip by the block to escape and be cooled.

Duchess

I have a feeling this is gonna be a mess for casuals.
This isn't exactly aimed at casuals, though. I can't honestly see a casual gamer parting with £150+ for either an nvme drive or the Xbox add-on. That's a lot of money for a casual player.

These things are aimed more at hardcore gamers. And while MS's solution is definitely easier and more palatable, it's not as if PS5 gamers are going to be opening up their consoles on a monthly basis to change the drive. Hell, I imagine a lot of players will only ever do it once, with handful doing so to just put in a larger drive.

Top Bottom