• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Calls God of War PC a Success

nani17

are in a big trouble
During Sony's Q3 2021 earnings call, Executive Deputy President and Chief Financial Officer Hiroki Totoki briefly mentioned the recent God of War PC launch as a success on the road of expanding PlayStation IPs to a larger audience.

In addition, the deployment of game IPs on multiple platforms is a major growth opportunity for Sony as has been evidenced by the successful PC version of God of War and other first-party games.

Indeed, God of War PC was the best-selling game on Steam for several weeks after its early January debut. Steam Spy estimates put sales between one and two million units, and the user review score is also 'Overwhelmingly Positive' thanks to a 97% approval. That's more than warranted, as it's easily the best PC port made by Sony yet. Later in the earnings call, Totoki explained that the $3.6 billion deal to acquire Bungie is structured specifically to encourage employee retention at the company.

Bungie is a private company, the majority of whose shares are owned by its employees. So the payment of the consideration is structured to incentivize the shareholders and other creative talent to continue working at Bungie after the acquisition closes. Approximately one-third of the $3.6 billion consideration for acquisition consists primarily of deferred payment to employee shareholders, conditional upon their continued employment and other retention incentives.

These amounts will be paid over the course of several years after the acquisition closes, and will be recorded as expenses for accounting purposes. We expect about two-thirds of these deferred payments and other retention incentives to be expensed in the first two years after the acquisition closes.

Just before the end of the Sony Q3 2021 earnings call, Naomi Matsuoka (Senior Vice President, Incharge of Corporate Planning and Control, Finance, and IR) admitted that Sony purchased Bungie partly because its existing internal teams can learn a lot from the makers of Destiny (and Halo) when it comes to live service games, which are poised to become a major component of Sony's game offering in the next few years. On the other hand, Bungie is looking to leverage Sony's transmedia expertise just as we had assumed.

They have the ability to distribute to a variety of platforms and also live service, they have the capability to develop that. Those are things we have lots to learn from them. And therefore, our studios will learn from Bungie and that is a very strong wish we have. And Bungie's side also is willing to work closely with us. And in the first year, we believe we'll put together a good plan and drive that and I believe it will generate upside from that kind of work.

Now for Bungie, I think we could - we can help them and support them in the personal retention, and recruiting. We hope to be able to do so. And also not just for gaming area, but the multi using of IP and merchandising of IPs, maybe put into the pictures, movies, and Bungie wants to nurture the IP they have in the multi-dimensional manners and that's their hope. And for that we believe, we can help that. We have pictures and music and Bungie can leverage our platform, so that the IP can grow bigger.

Source

There's also talk about the Bungie deal but the fact that Sony thinks it was a success is great news. Seeing more titles like Bloodborne or Ghost of Tsushima in my mind would have similar success.

I'm wondering will they reduce the cap between launching on console and pc after this. I don't think day one will happen anytime soon but maybe months after not years

Last edited:
Jack Nicholson Reaction GIF

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
It’s crazy to think it’s taken Sony until 2022 to really push into live service Gaas games. It’s like they were adamant to avoid it for years, and a lot of the fan base often echoed sentiments of the unwant for those types of games, yet here we are. Sony seem to be throwing as much at the wall as possible (ten games in 4 years).

I hope it pays off for them as I welcome all types of content if it is good, and I don’t think they will drop any of their key big hitting games either as it seems like they are very much building their business not taking it away.

bring more games to PC asap, starting with bloodborne! Thanks

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Release Bloodborne you bastards!!! How many more signals do you need? Most played game on PS Now PC. 100k downloads of a fan demake that covers the first few hours of the game...
They are saving it to shovel their way out of the shit when the time comes.

I don’t think bb ever should be remade. It will not age with this graphics. It just needs 4k60 mode and that’s it

kingfey

Banned
No. The strategy is to make even console player double dip and get it on pc. For that you need to wait after initial release.
Look how many people are buying rockstar games again on pc
That strategy works better.

person who bought most of Ubisoft/bethesda/rockstar games on steam, epic, Xbox, PlayStation.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.

THIS. People would still buy games on Steam, but you can make day and date only through your Launcher and make it cross-buy with PS consoles, and cross-play where you can have full control over cheatera. Make steam/Epic Games get the games 1+ year(s) later.

GymWolf

It blows my mind that bloodborne port is not a thing yet, they would sell a milion copy in the first 5 days...

(Before people cry for beggers, i already have 2 runs on ps4)

Last edited:
THIS. People would still buy games on Steam, but you can make day and date only through your Launcher and make it cross-buy with PS consoles, and cross-play where you can have full control over cheatera. Make steam/Epic Games get the games 1+ year(s) later.
I would buy the games that are as good as God of war on a non steam launcher.

Midn1ght

While I'm not against Sony having their own store, I can't see the advantage of releasing on Steam a year later. That would be the equivalent of releasing the physical version in their own brick and mortar store day one and GameStop a year later. Running your own webstore that is not utter garbage will not be free of charge and they'll sell less than on Steam.

What's better? 100% of 2.500.000 copies with charges or 70-80% of 5.000.000 copies with no charges?

Ezquimacore

Banned
now go nuts a release Gravity Rush 1&2 on PC, PlayStation fans didn't support that franchise but maybe PC can do something about it.

I actually think they will change. I’m still calling PC ports day one. Notice how the release windows are getting seemingly shorter and shorter.

Can't have day one releases with how small their support studios are...I can see simultaneous releases for titles ala Faction, but not for the next single player ND game, for example. The way I see it for the rest of this generation: Main entries launch first on the PS5; 12 months later, they hit Spartacus; 24 months later, they get a PC port...

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
People would cry jusy because it's not Steam.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
You better damn well be happy because them saying that means they see more in the future for us on PC.

I bought it the day it was available for pre-order.

Guilty_AI

No. The strategy is to make even console player double dip and get it on pc. For that you need to wait after initial release.
Look how many people are buying rockstar games again on pc
I'd have agreed with you a few months ago, but now i'm pretty sure their strategy leans more on GAAS and multimedia franchises. In that case, day 1 releases aren't an unlikely scenario.

kingfey

Banned
I'd have agreed with you a few months ago, but now i'm pretty sure their strategy leans more on GAAS and multimedia franchises. In that case, day 1 releases aren't an unlikely scenario.
They will have to do it, or let MS have all the fun on day1 steam.

I doubt Sony would like the idea of call of duty day1 on steam, gain the foot hold in that market. The longer they delay it, the more power MS would have on steam.

Haggard

Banned
They will have to do it, or let MS have all the fun on day1 steam.

I doubt Sony would like the idea of call of duty day1 on steam, gain the foot hold in that market. The longer they delay it, the more power MS would have on steam.
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

MS wants sales in their own shop first and foremost and Sony will eventually have their PSN shop on PC, too, if they continue with their multiplatform strategy.
No one WANTS to pay steam`s 30% royalties....and no one has ANY power at all on steam besides Gabe Newell.

Last edited:

Lognor

Banned
Care to elaborate why?
A separate launcher specifically. There is no need. Stream works fine. They should just keep releasing on steam. They also don't have enough content to have their own store front. And we don't need another company trying to lock down pc exclusives.

I agree with day one launches on pc though... just in steam

LQX

Thank you Microsoft. Hopefully we get to a point where PC releases are day and date with their console releases.

yurinka

Perfect strategy.

First console, later PC and/or Spartacus.
Yep, the idea is to do it in this order:
  1. Selling the game on console at full price
  2. Selling the game on console discounted or apply a price drop
  3. Maybe sell a DLC or two, or release some post launch update
  4. Include the game in PS Plus / PS Now / PS Plus Collection
  5. Once it doesn't generate revenue anymore in console, if it has potential for good PC sales, port it to PC
They have to keep some of their games forever in PS, and the ones ported to be released on PC years after the PS release to make sure they use their first party games as selling point for consoles and save the 30% of all the biggest amount of game sales possible.

The benefits for thehm of having a player buying the game in their console goes beyond saving that 30%, since they also profit from the sale of the console, accesories, the other half a dozen games each player buys on average and the extra revenue he provides from game subs. But they know some players will never buy a console, so to release some games in PC even if it's years later makes sense.

Once they have a good chunk of PC games will be time to release their own PSN PC store and launcher, adding cross save, (ideally crossbuy), cross play and crossplatform chat to move all their PC games there, avoid Steam and also include there 3rd party games.

Last edited:

kingfey

Banned
This makes absolutely no sense at all.

MS wants sales in their own shop first and foremost and Sony will eventually have their PSN shop on PC, too, if they continue with their multiplatform strategy.
No one WANTS to pay steam`s 30% royalties....and no one has ANY power at all on steam besides Gabe Newell.
Because current consoles can't make enough sales.

Starfield is a next gen game. Xsx/s is 12m as of now. If they get 8m until November, that is still 20m consoles sold.

Steam on other hand has 120m users, with 28m concurrent users.

They will make up lost sales from consoles that way. Even if that means 30% lost sales.

MS can't make pc gamers buy Xbox. It's much better for them to make money for them.

They also have gamepass pc. This way, they can lure them to their windows store. It's win win.

Sony would be in the same shoe. Their console currently is 17m. As long as there is chip shortages, there won't be enough consoles for consumers.

Its either bad software sales, or gain 70% sales for steam.

Haggard

Banned

Starfield is a next gen game. Xsx/s is 12m as of now. If they get 8m until November, that is still 20m consoles sold.

They will make up lost sales from consoles that way. Even if that means 30% lost sales.

MS can't make pc gamers buy Xbox. It's much better for them to make money for them.

They also have gamepass pc. This way, they can lure them to their windows store. It's win win.

Sony would be in the same shoe. Their console currently is 17m. As long as there is chip shortages, there won't be enough consoles for consumers.

It´s like you don`t understand that PC != steam.....
Steam user numbers don`t matter at all. It´s used for gaming metrics because it`s currently the biggest vendor there, but alternatives are literally only a click away,....
To make it simple: Steam is not the PC platform holder and never can be because PC is an open platform.
MS already has their own Steam alternative, and Sony will most likely follow suit in the future.

Last edited:

arvfab

Banned

Wondering how console makers survived previous generation changes...

Top Bottom