• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony Calls God of War PC a Success

Neofire

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
Yup just piss all on the 100 million plus user base on their own platforms lol

kingfey

Banned
I don't see why not. At this rate, the PC market is foaming at the month for Sony exclusives. Sony would be nuts not to capitalize on it.

But please bring Gran Turismo and MLB The Show along for the ride. I don't think people understand how much I need this on PC, lol
Those things are nice. but wouldnt music/car license be an issue?

arvfab

Banned
That doesnt translate in to a chip shortage, which is necessary to make the console in the 1st place.

Selling out means, you have more customers. Unable to make the console on time means delay in selling the console.

And you think people wanting a PS5 to play Playstation games who are not able to get one, are going to build a gaming PC to play them? A gaming PC requiring parts also affected by the same chip shortage?

Seems logical...

Haggard

Banned
Same as your desperate port begging logic 🤷🏿‍♂️
No one is" port begging", whatever this bullshit term may mean in your twisted fanboy logic.
People have played the games already and want to repeat that on better hardware or want to have the choice to play it on better hardware right from the get go........everything else is just bullshit made up by that tiny tiny fanboy brain of yours that`s desperately clinging to some imaginative value games get by being exclusive....

Last edited:

Haggard

Banned
So literally asking for games to come to a platform over and over again that aren't on it isn't port begging anymore? Okay you are trolling at this point. Good day 👋🏿
easy ignore list entry. Trolls get more stupid by the day....
Must suck to be so poor that you have to stick to one platform and have an ego so pathetic that you even have to make up arguments why that is "good"

Last edited:

HTK

Banned
Wish Sony had a PSN Launcher on PC and just sell their games on Day 1. Obviously if you already have PSN you'll be able to access your games on PC.

Sony should buy Epic Games and take over their store. :pie_thinking:

kingfey

Banned
And you think people wanting a PS5 to play Playstation games who are not able to get one, are going to build a gaming PC to play them? A gaming PC requiring parts also affected by the same chip shortage?

Seems logical...
who said anything about these people?

We are talking about existing pc users. Steam currently has 120+m users, with 28+m concurrent players. These are people who have their own devices. Sony doesnt need to send hardware's to these people. Just simply port their games to pc, and these people will buy it like god of war.

That is what MS is doing with their day1 steam.

kingfey

Banned
Like with anything in life, money solves them problems. And all that would be taken care of prior to trying to release on PC or any platform for that matter.
Money didnt help forza horizon getting pulled from MS stores.

The owners of these musics/cars could have disbanded/being sold. Its messy subject, and brings alot of headache.

If they do it though, it would be great for us.

kingfey

Banned
No one is" port begging", whatever this bullshit term may mean in your twisted fanboy logic.
People have played the games already and want to repeat that on better hardware or want to have the choice to play it on better hardware right from the get go........everything else is just bullshit made up by that tiny tiny fanboy brain of yours that`s desperately clinging to some imaginative value games get by being exclusive....
I already bought every Sony ps4 exclusive. It would be great experience, If i can play it on my pc again.

Kerotan

While I'm not against Sony having their own store, I can't see the advantage of releasing on Steam a year later. That would be the equivalent of releasing the physical version in their own brick and mortar store day one and GameStop a year later. Running your own webstore that is not utter garbage will not be free of charge and they'll sell less than on Steam.

What's better? 100% of 2.500.000 copies with charges or 70-80% of 5.000.000 copies with no charges?
And don't forget epic games throwing silly money at you for a year's exclusivity. I think with Sony now looking for billion dollar acquisitions and it not possible to produce the number of ps5's needed they will try and generate as much cash off pc as possible to fund their endeavors.

And cross gen will probably continue even longer. With only 17M ps5 out there with the ps4 version both horizon and GT7 would be fucked.

kingfey

Banned
Yup just piss all on the 100 million plus user base on their own platforms lol
Sony doesnt care. They are business, and want money. They wont survive that long with hardware business, when there are other mediums on the rise.

Its either have portable device, or join the frey. In 10 years mark, these consoles will disappear, and new medium will take over.

GreatnessRD

Money didnt help forza horizon getting pulled from MS stores.

The owners of these musics/cars could have disbanded/being sold. Its messy subject, and brings alot of headache.

If they do it though, it would be great for us.
That wasn't a money problem, that was a business decision. They want folks buying the newer games. Not holding onto the older games as their focus is on the new games with the live services.

arvfab

Banned
who said anything about these people?

We are talking about existing pc users. Steam currently has 120+m users, with 28+m concurrent players. These are people who have their own devices. Sony doesnt need to send hardware's to these people. Just simply port their games to pc, and these people will buy it like god of war.

That is what MS is doing with their day1 steam.

There are also 200+ M gamers with PS4s and Switches, should they port their games there? What about Smartphones? Billions out there, let's hope Sony focuses on them to make money, right?

skybaby

I don't see why not. At this rate, the PC market is foaming at the month for Sony exclusives. Sony would be nuts not to capitalize on it.

But please bring Gran Turismo and MLB The Show along for the ride. I don't think people understand how much I need this on PC, lol
GT7 was on the nvidia list. I honestly can't wait. If it's just as polished as GoW it will be amazing

kingfey

Banned
That wasn't a money problem, that was a business decision. They want folks buying the newer games. Not holding onto the older games as their focus is on the new games with the live services.
Its license issues, not forcing people in to new games. They had to remove the game, once the license was up.

They are trying to change their approach with newer series.

kingfey

Banned
There are also 200+ M gamers with PS4s and Switches, should they port their games there? What about Smartphones? Billions out there, let's hope Sony focuses on them to make money, right?
is this your conclusion? If that is it, I am just going to leave it that way.

Neofire

Sony doesnt care. They are business, and want money. They wont survive that long with hardware business, when there are other mediums on the rise.

Its either have portable device, or join the frey. In 10 years mark, these consoles will disappear, and new medium will take over.
This entire statement is emphatically false, Sony doesn't care about their own platform users but is still supporting the ps4 and spend billions on R&D for the ps5 and releasing a new console.

I get the "drop all consoles and release everything on PC" narrative as ignorant as it is I respect people's opinions. What I don't respect is spreading lies just to push that narrative.

Alot of you want Sony to just go 3rd party and that's okay, I have dreams too lol.

FingerBang

Sony, all you need to do is spend a little to expand PSN to PC. Sell your games directly to us PC folks. Cut off the middle men and keep all the profit for yourself ;) . You can even do day and date. No need to be shackled by chip shortages and hardware sales. Hardware don't make you profit anyway.
I see your point and I agree Sony could find ways to make more money (though I imagine Epic Store Exclusives are the way they're go, they have a stake in them), but this last point is not true. The console sale is simply a gateway, they want people to be locked in the ecosystem. Through the console, they get a lot of money around it. Accessories, PSPlus/Now and so on.

GreatnessRD

GT7 was on the nvidia list. I honestly can't wait. If it's just as polished as GoW it will be amazing
I know! And so far the list hasn't let me down. Hopefully GT7 continues the trend.
Its license issues, not forcing people in to new games. They had to remove the game, once the license was up.

They are trying to change their approach with newer series.
Again, they could've solved the licensing issue with money. It isn't like Microsoft doesn't have a shiton. Which goes back to my point of them wanting you to move on to the newer games. They didn't want to sink further money into the older game. And this only affected those who hadn't bought that version of Forza Horizon. I mean by that point, you were either gonna get it when they had it on sale for $10 or not before they delisted those Forza games and the DLC. People moved on my friend.

arvfab

Banned
is this your conclusion? If that is it, I am just going to leave it that way.

Nah, my conclusion is that you are either:

- a diehard Sony fanboy, caring more for their finances than their games
- a PC fanboy port-begging

Probably more the second than the first.

Otherwise I don't see why wishing for Sony/PlayStation losing focus on what made them great.

Neofire

I see your point and I agree Sony could find ways to make more money (though I imagine Epic Store Exclusives are the way they're go, they have a stake in them), but this last point is not true. The console sale is simply a gateway, they want people to be locked in the ecosystem. Through the console, they get a lot of money around it. Accessories, PSPlus/Now and so on.
Finally someone posting some sense. All of a sudden a few people think the console concept makes no sense and that the last 5 decades of it were insignificant.

Midn1ght

Steam on other hand has 120m users, with 28m concurrent users.
And it's probably way higher currently.
The 120m monthly active users is from 2020 (They went from 95m in 2019 to 120m in 2020)

They're probably above 150m monthly active users now.
They will make up lost sales from consoles that way. Even if that means 30% lost sales.
Let's also not forget that the 30% is for the first $10 million, then it's 25% until $50 million and 20% after that.
Every Sony's game will reach that threshold and be at 20%.

Steam user numbers don`t matter at all.
It's the only thing that matter. $$$

The only way I could see them skipping Steam is Tim Sweeney throwing ridiculous money at them or if they heavily invest in Epic Games (They already bought 450m worth of Epic shares if I'm not wrong)

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Seems like the strategy of releasing games years later and have minimal effort on the ports seems to work. Don't see Sony changing it anytime soon.

Of course they will change to day and date, despite their own noses, they are greedy.

Haggard

Banned

Otherwise I don't see why wishing for Sony/PlayStation losing focus on what made them great.
Because it`s impossible to just be a normal consumer who likes having a choice.
Normal consumers must not exist anymore, instead we all just have to be idiots with clear cut cult memberships.

Because god forbid someone could just prefer to play or replay a game on his/hers preferred hardware without having some ulterior motive...........

these discussions get dumber by the minute.

It's the only thing that matter. $$$
When you have your own shop/platform steam user numbers are simply irrelevant.
People always overestimate how much normal consumers care which color the storefront has where they click on "buy".

Last edited:

FingerBang

Finally someone posting some sense. All of a sudden a few people think the console concept makes no sense and that the last 5 decades of it were insignificant.
It's PC only games that tend to act like that. I have all the consoles AND a pretty powerful PC and still prefer playing on consoles because they are right under my TV and everything works out of the box.

The idea that Sony or MS would make more money by going PC only or even releasing PC Games on day one is ridiculous.

arvfab

Banned
Because it`s impossible to just be a normal consumer with a choice.
Normal consumers must not exist anymore, instead we all just have to be idiots with clear cut cult memberships.

Because god forbid someone could just prefer to play a game on his/hers preferred hardware without having some ulterior agenda.......

these discussion get dumber by the minute.

When you have your own platform they don`t.

You have the choice: play their games optimized for their hardware on their hardware, or don't.
these discussion get dumber by the minute.

Can't stop you from posting

kingfey

Banned

This is my games from all systems, and stores.

I dont care what platforms the games are located at.

No one wants Sony to lose money. Plus our opinions here means nothing to them.

Midn1ght

People always overestimate how much normal consumers care which color the storefront has where they click on "buy".
How exactly are they irrelevant?
I know the "Steam or die" is blown out of proportion but do you honestly think they'll be as successful with their games alone?
Microsoft has its own store, how is that working for them?

I'm not arguing that they can't have their own store, I'm saying that releasing exclusively on it would probably be a bad business decision.

Last edited:
EPIC store is generally not well received and I don't think Sony can put a game (which EPIC haven't moneyhatted) while foregoing the 12 percent cut. Second thing is the Tencent influence which may turn off Sony. The small stake is for a specific purpose (co development related I assume) so I don't believe Sony would push for a deeper publishing partnership with Epic.

Naturally when I mean by extending PSN to PC that does mean a Sony will have the opportunity to cross sell other eco system services. It won't be a complete walled garden (quick turn off for PC crowd) but it's sort of a middle ground. This could include possibly cross selling maybe Dualsense controllers and other high margin accessories. Xbox controllers are the defacto pc game controller currently because of the widespread support. No reason why Sony couldn't do the same. They just need to put some effort to ensure the same level of compatibility.

Stuart360

People keep talking about Sony should buy Epic, or put their games only on the Epic Store, but the Epic Store isnt popular with PC gamers. The only reason it even gets a few million users is because of Fortnite.
Sony will get a lot of good will from PC gamers, just like Microsoft have, if they continue selling their games on Steam. They will also get way more sales too, even taking into account the 30% (and they probably arent paying 30% anyway, Microsoft made some kind of deal with Valve when they announced their games coming to Steam).

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
considering the minimal amount of resources they spent on the port vs the sales numbers "success" is underselling it in this case.

Now imagine if they actually tried......
What do you mean”actually tried”? The game looks and plays outstanding on PC, was realeased on Steam and Epic meaning it got a very wide release on PC.

Please elaborate.

kingfey

Banned
How exactly are they irrelevant?
I know the "Steam or die" is blown out of proportion but do you honestly think they'll be as successful with their games alone?
Microsoft has its own store, how is that working for them?

I'm not arguing that they can't have their own store, I'm saying that releasing exclusively on their store would probably be a bad business decision.
Look at activision revenue. Their store almost made almost the same amount of console users.

If Sony is careful with their store, they can make a bank.

kingfey

Banned
People keep talking about Sony should buy Epic, or put their games only on the Epic Store, but the Epic Store isnt popular with PC gamers. The only reason it even gets a few million users is because of Fortnite.
Sony will get a lot of good will from PC gamers, just like Microsoft have, if they continue selling their games on Steam. They will also get way more sales too, even taking into account the 30% (and they probably arent paying 30% anyway, Microsoft made some kind of deal with Valve when they announced their games coming to Steam).
That is not the reason. Its software sales. You need to have huge amount of games to sell.

New stores struggles against steam, because of the library. You need a big chunk of library, and that takes time.

Graciaus

This is not true and there's plenty of evidence out there to confirm it. Some don't care but most do. There is a reason companies put games on Steam even if they have their own store.

Stuart360

That is not the reason. Its software sales. You need to have huge amount of games to sell.

New stores struggles against steam, because of the library. You need a big chunk of library, and that takes time.
Dude the Epic store isnt popular, it isnt. Thats just fact. You only have to look at how well games sell on Steam after they leave the 1 year Epic exclusivity. People would rather wait a whole year than play on Epic.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
considering the minimal amount of resources they spent on the port vs the sales numbers "success" is underselling it in this case.

Now imagine if they actually tried......
What the fuck is this minimal effort crap? The game runs great on PC is largely free of bugs…what more do you fucking want? I’ve put over 22 hours into the game and have not had a single crash, bug or performance issue. The only thing I don’t like is the forced depth of field.

Your post is an example of bitching just to bitch.

PhaseJump

Banned
For more success, put everything on Steam, hook PSN profiles and carry saves and trophies over the same way Xbox does. Port shit that nobody played like Gravity Rush and Last Guardian. Get Everybody's Golf on PC.

I think we could see a radical change though. Anything is possible. Something like PlayStation becoming an Amazon company. All of Sony's movie studios getting acquired for Prime. A Playstation store on PC hooked into Amazon, and Gaben would feel it on his beard.

kingfey

Banned
Dude the Epic store isnt popular, it isnt. Thats just fact. You only have to look at how well games sell on Steam after they leave the 1 year Epic exclusivity.
have you seen the library epic has, compared to steam?

This is the OG xbox vs ps2 situation.

Epic needs tons of 3rd party publishers to put their games on the store. This way, they can attract more users.

No one will bother a store, when it doesnt have enough games.

Neofire

It's PC only games that tend to act like that. I have all the consoles AND a pretty powerful PC and still prefer playing on consoles because they are right under my TV and everything works out of the box.

The idea that Sony or MS would make more money by going PC only or even releasing PC Games on day one is ridiculous.
Exactly and I respect you for having a honest exchange instead of like others that use "PC master race" talking points and insults.

Top Bottom